Start by marking “Grimmer Tales: A Wicked Collection of Happily Never After Stories” as Want to Read:
Grimmer Tales: A Wicked Collection of Happily Never After Stories

Grimmer Tales: A Wicked Collection of Happily Never After Stories

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A hilarious collection of upended fairy tales that will recast your classic family favorites in an all-wrong light

Remember those beloved fairy tales you read as a child? Where the damsel in distress is rescued by the handsome prince and then they all live happily ever after? Well Grimmer Tales is just like that. Minus the happy and the ever after!

In these pages you'll
Published December 9th 2009 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Grimmer Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grimmer Tales

karen
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hey-shorty

barry zuckerkorn sez "no thank you"
Laura Elliott Monroe
Pros: Hilariously twisted, morbid, creative.
Cons: None if you have a macabre sense of humor!
The Bottom Line: Great little read for a gift, or to keep to shock your guests

When I was little, I was shocked to learn that "Ring Around the Rosy" was connected to the Plague, and that Humpty Dumpty couldn't be put back together again. As I got older, I actually listened to what my childhood nursery rhymes were saying ...

Georgie Porgie kissed girls and made them cry? The farmer's wife hacked off mice tai
Kate
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
According to my newest friend here, The Dancing Bookcase, once upon a time....

There was this unique novel which took all your favorite fairy tales and gave them a much needed and hilarious face lift.

Bergstrom has an incredible gift with taking your favorite tales from yesteryear and giving them a twist. I knew as soon as I began to flip through these pages that Grimmer Tales would become a favorite of mine.

While there is not too much plot for each of the tales, most being about 2 to 3 pages lon
Deb
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tales, humor
In five minutes, your mind will be slightly traumatized and you'll be at the end of the book where all of the fairy tale characters chant "One of Us," an appropriate reference to an Tod Browning's old carney film "Freaks."

Rapunzel's hair gets caught in a garbage disposal. Pinocchio keeps stabbing people with his nose when he lies. A giant thinks the Little Old Lady who Lived in a Shoe's house is pretty. Pretty to wear. Squish!

The problem with this book is that it's $16 and has very little betwee
Adrian Chua
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shelf-of-regret
Honestly, I bought this book at a book fair (most of my books are from book fairs apparently), for only RM5, that's like what, around 1 USD I guess.

My first impression was dammmnnnn, wow, this is funny. And then on the way home, I read it, in about 5-10 minutes, and then I regretted buying it...

The book itself is funny, it's dark humour, although Pinnochio seriously creeps me out. Don't think about giving this book to kids as well, cause there are some sexual references in there that I may or m
Elaine
Funny if you have a morbid sense of humor, if not, then this "wicked collection of happily never after stories" is just sick and disturbing. So it's a good thing that my humor encapsulates the morbid. As others have stated, this makes for a nice gift for a friend or the coffee table, but the amount of substance that you get out of this volume of tales is limited. Still, it is a nice quick read and disturbingly funny, just don't read it before or too soon after a meal...
Mark
May 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mark by: Daven Tjandradjaja
Shelves: horror
Erik Bergstrom's Grimmer Tales is an "adaptation" of all our childhood favorite tales, collected in one caricature book of hilariously morbid twist. Definitely not for children under 13 years of age, because all drawings aren't suitable for them. By throwing off all political correctness, Mr. Bergstrom has embraced the grim side of fairy tales, returning them all into their original intention.
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book could be used to show how different stories can have a different spin on them or how you can rewrite stories. However, this story is pretty dark and should be kept away from younger grades (pre-K- 5)
Diana
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
A twisted take on many familiar fairy tales, told in 1-3 panel comics.

This was mostly a mix of gruesome, odd, and repetitive jokes, some of which didn't make much sense. You can read through it in 10 minutes, and be left a little bemused.
Christine
A darker side to the classic fairy tale. Not for younger grades. A good book to show students spins on the classic stories
Jessica
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Only moderately amusing. I'd say skip this one.
Kelly
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It made me actually laugh out loud. Definitely for those with darker tastes.
Grace
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dark, entertaining twists and wonderful art !
Cynthia Buhler
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! A must read.
Abbie
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sick and twisted? Yes. Morbidly funny? Yes. But it still could have been more. In the many one panel frames, there is an interesting take on an old story.
Erin
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very cute take with great artwork.
Nor Azzah
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: zamri-norazzah
Bought during BBW Book Sale.
Actually it's not my taste.
Emily Iliani
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home
For all the skeptics and plain bitter people!
Jesse
While it was funny to see some of the fairy tales turned on their heads, I did find this book just a bit too creepy for my tastes.
Kathy Jo
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dark. And funny.
Seth
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sure, this is my client's book. But genuinely hilarious. Flip through it at the bookstore!
Lori
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! If you have a twisted, dark, sort of demented sense of humour - you will love this book. Anything that can make me laugh out loud (loudly) in an empty library has GOT to be good.
Jason
Dec 02, 2014
Christopher RubindelaBorbolla
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty dang funny + twisted. Definitely not for most children.
Natasha Provan