Start by marking “The Adventures of Buster Bear” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Buster Bear

The Adventures of Buster Bear

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  330 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
When Buster Bear comes to live in the Green Forest, the amiable bully stirs up quite a commotion, for bears haven't lived in the forest for years. And sure enough, before long Buster has a series of run-ins with Little Joe Otter, Chatterer the Red Squirrel, Farmer Brown's Boy, and even a stubborn metal pail!
These and other entertaining escapades are delightfully recounted
Paperback, Dover Children's Thrift Classics, 96 pages
Published March 24th 1993 by Dover Publications (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Buster Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Buster Bear

Karin
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learne
Matthew Hunter
Burgess is fun for this Oklahoma/Texas/Louisiana boy to read out loud to the kids, with pacing, word choice, and sentence structure feeling very Southern to me. I let my accent have free rein during bedtime read-a-longs. Part Uncle Remus/Br'er Rabbit and part Ranger Rick>, Burgess's animal adventures tie wildlife education and down-home morality together artfully. Burgess does anthropomorphism exceedingly well. And for lovers of "old-fashioned" children's lit, Burgess is your guy. The wind's ...more
Jenny
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this aloud to my son. A sweet, exciting, charming story.
Amanda
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My kids love Burgess' animal stories.
John
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, read-alouds
This is a pleasant read that my kids really enjoyed. It is a simple story that will amuse your kids, while instructing them in common sense, courtesy, and humility.

Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Elizabeth
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From my daughter (7): definitely 5 stars. I loved the book bc it was such a fun family book. I loved the animals. I loved learning about the red squirrel and that there are over 200 species of squirrels and that there are many different types of bears. My favorite character was Little Joe Otter.

From my daughter (4): 5 STARS! I really liked that Buster was nice to try to give the trout back to Little Joe Otter. I didn't know that garden snakes were actually called garter snakes. My favorite char
Robert
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
First published in 1916, this book is a fun little bit of living children's book history. Although the story is much less subtle in its moralizing than any current book would dare to be, I didn't find it didactic or overly preachy. This book serves as a delightful anthropomorphized introduction to forest creatures -- and correctly places the little boy in the unusual position of being the scariest creature in the Green Forest. I was charmed and amused for the short time it took to read.

How coul
Brent
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I found this series of books in the get rid of pile at the school library where my wife works. I remebered the covers from my own elementary school days (though I don't think I read them then). I brought them home, zipped right through them,and thought they were great fun. I probably will not review them all, but I will say, I don't think you can go wrong with a Thornton W. Burgess book.
Sharon
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read to a 4 year old. Gentle enough, which I greatly appreciate. A few vignettes. Frequent lists of names for all the animals. We've just read so much better ones that this one was not really enjoyable.
Mckinley
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, animal, series, bear
There's a series of stories each focusing on a different animal in the forest. This one is (mostly) about a bear and who's afraid of who.
Read the series to get the perspective for different animals. Fun to read aloud for up to 8 years old I think.
R.A. Danger
Well I didn't consider this one of the best of a long series of these animals wearing cloths but still live in the forest...type.

The first story in here reminds me of the old animal trickster tales. As fot the other two parts lets just say, bear and boy meet, and leave it at that.
Melissa
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buster was quite a charming character! I loved that all the other characters were afraid of him, and how that really added to the dynamics. And once again, John Lieder does a wonderful job with the different voices - he really got down the gruffness of a brown bear :)
heidi
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Lieder is the perfect narrator! This simple (but still entertaining) story simply comes alive through his narration. Delightful audio book.
read with Ainsley
Adil
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Good one, That's why children love to hear this. By the way Interesting characters.
Andrea
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
I really enjoyed this one--good life lessons, funny story, and about animals/nature.
Clarissa
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hope and I are reading Mr. Burgess' nature series. They are absolutely delightful. Such fun! Such great pictures!
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is our first book by Burgess, reading a few chapters at night. My son can barely wait to hear what is going to happen next. I'm really enjoying it, too.
Jordan
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
i have this book and its really old its uncl micks its about 20 years old and its stell in the shap it came from when i got it
Camille
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's delightful. I love the old-school pictures.
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
loved it!!!
Teresa Thompson Arcangel
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the Buster Bear books when I was little. My dad read them to me - copies he'd had since he was a child. I hope to read them to my grandchildren someday.
Ashish Seth
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was too shameful for buster the bear to steal. I enjoyed the book thoroughly.
Dorthea
I liked it.
Britt, Book Habitue
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meimei
Read to MeiMei (5). I think we both found it slightly disjointed, but less-so than Whitefoot the Wood Mouse.
Overall we enjoyed it.
Sam
Jun 19, 2007
Mellanie C
Sep 04, 2017 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Norah Gaughan
Oct 07, 2008
  • The Little Duke
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Leif the Lucky
  • The First Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • One Giant Leap
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Fifty Famous People
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • Everyday Graces: Child's Book Of Good Manners
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • Island Boy
  • The Story of the Greeks
  • Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...