Start by marking “Blue Adept (Apprentice Adept #2)” as Want to Read:
Blue Adept  (Apprentice Adept #2)

Blue Adept

(Apprentice Adept #2)

In Book Two of the epic adventure that began in SPLIT INFINITY, Stile discovers life on Proton and Phaze is getting more difficult. On Proton he's a serf trying to prove his right to exist by competing in the Great Games. And on Phaze, where only magic worked, he was the Blue Adept trying to master the powers of sorcery. On both worlds, someone was trying to assassinate hi ...more
Published August 12th 1987 by Del Rey (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Adept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Adept

Jeremy Preacher
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
It's not actually worse than Split Infinity, really - it actually moves faster, the stakes are higher, and the many brief Tourney scenes remain entertaining (if slightly irritating once you realize just how implausible Stile's ridiculous breadth and depth of skills is. Seriously, he had a full-time job and he's 35, yet he can run marathons, is a top-ranked martial artist, a serious musician, the best rider on the planet, a competitive gymnast, skilled swordsman, and he can use a sewing machine? ...more
James
Following Stile further as he continues the struggles from Split Infinity . Trying to complete a series of competitions to win his freedom in one world while trying to understand his new position and powers in the other. All while trying to avoid getting killed and working out who's trying to kill him. Phew!

While it doesn't really stand alone as a book, it's a good continuation of the series and keeps the intrigue and revelations coming.
Michelle Knudsen
Oh, man. I'm still going to listen to book 3 just to complete the re-experience, but this one was even worse in terms of Anthony's depictions of women - especially via the main character's opinions of women and their natures/qualities/abilities/etc. I guess as a kid all of that went over my head somehow? Yikes.
Gwen
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Again, I read this to my kids, editing out as much of the sexist crap as possible on the fly while reading aloud. My kids enjoyed it and definitely wanted me to read the next book, which we have begun.
Joey V.
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, dystopia
So there will be spoilers, but I don't really care. If anything I say makes you feel that you wouldn't want to read this, then good for you. The book really isn't good enough for me to concern myself with such things. Still reading? You were warned fair and square.

So. Stile rapes his way through yet another book. In the first, he declares that he has raped Sheen by forcing her to reveal information that she wanted kept secret. Not exactly what I would call rape, but that's how he defined it, so
David Sarkies
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dunno, Nobody I guess
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: sci-fi
The saga of the sex robot continues
1 March 2012

Hmm, as I glanced at some of the reviews I seemed to notice the suggestion that it really is not a stand alone book, but rather a direct continuation of book one (in the same way that the Two Towers is a direct continuation of Fellowship of the Ring) though that is hardly an issue considering the number of series out there that need to be read in order. Fortunately not all serial books are like that (such as The Dresden Files) but many are (in part
Onefinemess
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
So.

I’m continuing on my trek through pulp fantasy I read as a kid – although I’m really not sure if I actually read these 3 books or not, I know I read books 4-7 of the series (I still owned them when I bought (or re-bought) these three). They definitely have that 70s/80s fantasy cover thing down though right? I don’t think the hero ever wears a chain mail skirt – yet there he is on the cover! The lady in red with the demon jumping out of an amulet is actually pretty accurate though.

The story it
W. Boutwell
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Middle book of a trilogy is supposed to be the weakest.
To some extent that is true as the protagonist leans more and more on magic than his own wits.
Serendipity, never very far away in any of the trilogy, presents itself as the solution for Phaze problems.
What saves the book is the Game and especially the GRID, providing interesting negotiations and balances to overcome.
The role of the self-aware robots is odd; Anthony has difficulty being consistent with what is an essentially impossible condit
Douglas Debner
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars really.

One of the things I've enjoyed about Piers Anthony is his ability to tell a complete story in each book of a series. Its been awhile since I've read them but, if memory serves, that is true of his Incarnations of Immortality series. However, that doesn't appear to be the case here. In the first book of this series a lot of the story is focused on the "Game" the people of the planet Proton sponsor. So, when the book ended without the Game actually being played it felt incomplete.
Thomas
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
When I was 13, I read a lot of Piers Anthony, and when I say “a lot,” I mean a lot. The guy was pretty much all I read, from the Xanth series to the Incarnations of Immortality series, and even the Battle Circle and Bio of a Space Tyrant series, but my favorite of his books from that time would have to be the Apprentice Adept series. I read them again in my late 20s and thought they held up pretty well, so when I got on a bit of a nostalgia kick recently, I thought I’d give these another go, jus ...more
Kessily Lewel
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second in the Apprentice Adept series continuing Stile's adventures as a lowly serf in the science-based Proton, and an exalted Adept in the magic based Phase. He continues to explore both worlds and Anthony paints a beautiful picture of the world of Phase, making you feel it's the better place to live.

Stile is still trying to win the game, working through one challenge at a time and getting closer to the top with every win, but he's also working to track down the murderer of his oth
Sandy
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, I liked this; but not as much as the 1st one. Stile is still slipping between Proton and Phaze searching for his enemy. He's still being helped by Neysa the Unicorn, Sheen the android and Lady Blue. He's still playing the Game in Proton. He's doing well, with the help of his friends. So, I'm not sure why I didn't like this one as much as the first. However, I will still move on to the next book.
Barbara Sherrick
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
Better than book 1. Kept me on the edge of my seat. Loved the books as a kid and still do. They are fun. I don't understand the bashers. These are fantasy books. You suspend belief when you read books like this.
Brett Thurman
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
2nd book more of the same. We get to see a lot more of the other Adepts and the world of Phaze but they're all fairly shallow. Even more major misogyny, to the point where the main villain is defeated by her own unhinged misandry. Because "bitches be crazy" is apparently the best motivation.
Sean Randall
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s interesting to see stile becoming two people almost, and books that blend science and magic don’t often do so in this way. Not a series to leap and shout about but with solid, steady messages going forward.
Gwynne Eldridge
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second book of the series, an excellent marriage of fantasy and science fiction. Anthony is a master of both genres and this is a combination that proves he can weave the two as expertly as he does individually.
Randy Mueller
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great author

This is a good read. An old favorite of mine.
Excellent trilogy.
On to the next one to finish the series.
Dan Weiss
Some nice light outdated misogynist fluff.
Essence: “My life is in danger, that girl has a nice ass.”
Gareth Farrow
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read after having read the first book. Though you will need to read the third in the series as this one does kind of finishes in an unfinished way.
Dave Drake
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piers Anthony is a consummate author.

The storylines, whimsical and dramatic alike, will propel you from front to back cover at the speed of a good storyteller.
Deborah
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun book. Got tired of all the descriptions of the different games. Obviously unrealistic. Nobody can be expert at that many games no matter how many years they train.
Susan
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
So I read this book second, after having read #6. It works, but is a little like having dessert first, then the soup, having skipped the appetizer.
Charlie Devlin
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first installment but did an interesting job at expanding the universe.
Devon
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I’m sure everyone has their favourite tropes that will almost guarantee them enjoying a book. One of mine is musician main characters, or magic systems that are based in music. I’m also pretty fond of tournaments and competitions like the Proton Game. That means this novel would have had to go very wrong for me not to like it.

And I do like it. There are problems – most notably the moments of random sexism (particularly the way our male POV character, Stile, objectifies the many women whose lives
Linda Karchmar (Cameron)
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series, and I'm really enjoying the characters - Stile, Sheen, and Nayla the unicorn, and their adventures in Proton and Phase. Lots of action and excitement. had to start reading the third book right away!
Michael
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young adults, Fantasy fans, Anthony fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
In retrospect, it's amazing the amount of Piers Anthony I consumed in my teens. Looking at it now, I can't imagine actually finishing this book, but not only did I, I read the entire trilogy of which it is a part, in a single volume, over the course of a few weeks in Summer. This at a time when my teachers would assign me things I started and never finished. The fact of the matter is that I had more to learn from reading Anthony and his ilk; I wasn't ready to learn from the books they wanted me ...more
Blake
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of coming back to read this book after reading the author's autobiography "Bio of an Ogre". It's plainer than daylight that Piers created Stile in his image - the height complex, the crook knees, the obsession with horses, the harmonica playing, the stifling sense of "honour" that makes him an always misunderstood moral giant among mere mortals... When you realise how much the author is projecting, the whole thing invites a lot of cringing. The main crux of the book (and a lot ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved the main character of Stile for decades. Boy, does that make me ever sound old . . . but it is true. I first read this series many years ago and it has remained one of my favorites. I quite enjoy the mix of Science Fiction and Fantasy, something you do not find very often.

As for Piers Anthony, he was my favorite author for a decade or so until the Xanth books became more and more silly and young reader oriented. But the Adept series stands on its own two feet and is a wonderful ser
Jennifer Kyrnin
I read this book back when it came out in 1981. And I picked it up again because it was a library book (via Overdrive) that was available now. Of course, I'd forgotten that it was book 2 in the series! :-)

But it was still a lot of fun to read. Anthony writes an interesting story with the two worlds of science and magic. And the Game on the science side is really interesting too.

Technically, this book was annoying to read, with typos that looked like OCR errors on _every_ page (not an exaggerati
  • Medusa: A Tiger by the Tail (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #4)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #4)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
  • Shadowspawn
  • White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)
  • The Gandalara Cycle I

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm

Apprentice Adept (7 books)
  • Split Infinity  (Apprentice Adept #1)
  • Juxtaposition (Apprentice Adept #3)
  • Out of Phaze (Apprentice Adept #4)
  • Robot Adept (Apprentice Adept #5)
  • Unicorn Point (Apprentice Adept #6)
  • Phaze Doubt (Apprentice Adept #7)