Start by marking “Different Children, Different Needs: Understanding the Unique Personality of Your Child” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Biblical parenting involves encouraging, exhorting, and empathizing with children according to their unique needs and character. This re-release of Different Children, Different Needs clarifies what the Bible means when it commands us to "train up a child in the way he should go" (Proverbs 22:6). It teaches moms and dads how to understand the personality God has given each ...more
Published October 7th 2009 by Multnomah (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Different Children, Different Needs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Different Children, Different Needs

Jen Liu
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book not only can you understand what your kids are thinking but also know more about people around you, how they response and why they act like that. Once you know the reason , u won't be disturbed by their behavior.
Dianna Byrd
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of favorite parenting books. You learn how you and your spouse parent based on your life speed and priorities and how each child also has their own speed and priorities. The key is to learn to "dance" together! It's a must read for marriages and parenting.
Talai
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book as far as the information it gave me to help me understand my parenting style, my kids behavior style, how we mix together, what our strengths are, and what I need to watch out for. I find myself studying my kids a lot more. I worry often if I'm doing my best to recognize my children's strengths and if I am adapting my parenting style to their different needs, which is why I sought out a book like this. It was a great reminder to me that just because my children may find ...more
Kerin
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While being aware and careful not to pigeon hole every person into a specific category, Dr. Boyd gives the reader practical steps to take to better understand, interact with, and love the unique character traits of people. His emphasis is on parents interacting with their children, having you first understand your own strengths, weaknesses, and patterns of communication, and then analyzing those of the child. I left the book better equipped to identify words and phrases in my own vocabulary that ...more
Mimi
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: best friend
So insightful! I wish I had had this book at the beginning of parenting but I think it works any time with anyone! A book to read and read and read again. I've been using this book as a reference in leading a teen girls small Bible study group to help them understand how special they are just the way they are. Based on the DISC profile
Linda Goldfarb
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used this book in my parenting class, Parenting Awesome Kids. Everyone enjoyed the book and it's practical concepts.
It's a great beginning to understanding why we're different from each other and how to find that blend as a family.
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and feel it is a must read for parents. It takes your personality and your child's personality and shows how each child has to be disciplined one way and each parent needs to discipline differently.
Natalie
I was really hoping to love this book, but I just couldn't ever figure out where to place myself or my kids in the DISC model, which is the whole basis if the book. So, while there were some good tips, I just couldn't really apply them.
Lori Johnson
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents or anyone that wants to understand how others are wired
This book is a great resource to help you understand how your children are wired and how to best communicate to them based on that wiring. I had the opportunity to help Charlie write the study guide to this book.
Robert Murphy
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, personality
Excellent summary of DISC as applied to Christian parenting. Well laid out and useful for a book club, complete with questions at the end of chapters. Only a tiny bit of Christian cheesy schmarm.
Heather
This is good. I was reading it fast at first because I felt I knew what he was trying to say and I skipped the inventory. But I may go back and take the inventory because it really was a good book.
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great insights into how to provide encouragement for our kids. Thankful I've read this.
Brita
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most practical parenting books I have read.
Emmanuel
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Grounded and practical with many specific examples and realistic scenarios.
Betsy
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best "learn about your kid" books I've read. A must read for parents! Practical and helpful.
Lori
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent resource for anyone to read especially if you are around children in your life. I am reading it again with my husband.
Rae
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christian-oriented look at the four communication/behavioral styles and how parents can be more effective and understanding in raising their children. Quite good.
Michelle Cabrera-Diaz
Jun 03, 2013
Jeff Herron
Jul 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Positive Personality Profiles: D-i-S-C-over Personality Insights to Understand Yourself and Others!
  • Seasons of a Mothers Heart
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • What Is a Family?
  • Hide or Seek
  • For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband
  • King Me: What Every Son Wants and Needs from His Father
  • Parenting Today's Adolescent: Helping Your Child Avoid the Traps of the Preteen and Teen Years
  • Effective Parenting in a Defective World: How to Raise Kids Who Stand Out from the Crowd
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-to-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • Greater Health God's Way: Seven Steps to Inner and Outer Beauty
  • The Story of Me (God’s Design for Sex, #1)
  • Right From Wrong
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • Spiritual Mothering
  • Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead: The Ten Most Innovative Lessons from a Long, Strange Trip
  • Raising Your Children for Christ
“Too often we assume that what is “best” means that our children should live their lives according to the script that has worked for us. Without realizing it, we try to create carbon copies of ourselves.” 0 likes
“The key is for parents to discover and cultivate the uniqueness of each of their children.” 0 likes