Start by marking “Forever Marked: A Dermatillomania Diary” as Want to Read:
Forever Marked: A Dermatillomania Diary

Forever Marked: A Dermatillomania Diary

FOREVER MARKED: A Dermatillomania Diary is a first hand account of a young woman, Angela, who suffers from a silenced illness This is a ground- breaking true story that describes her struggles, which include depression, anxiety, suicide, self- hate, isolation, but mainly Dermatillomania... the skin picking disorder.
Published November 7th 2009 (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Marked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever Marked

Start your review of Forever Marked: A Dermatillomania Diary
Lila Lockhart
I need to stay true to myself by standing up for what I believe in, even if it means standing alone.

Brutally honest and beautifully insightful. Hartlin's journal provides a touching, unflinching account of her experiences with the impulsive skin-picking disorder, Dermatillomania.

Value is further added to this book by just how little information exists on this silenced disorder. It's only been recognized as a disorder in recent times (and only as a sub-category in the DSM), is poorly understood,
Mikayla Kailee
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. At first it was very hard to read because it was a trigger for me, but after I was able to control the urges to pick while reading, it was very helpful. It reminds me of the emotional and physical roller coaster I feel like im riding sometimes. I specifically like the passage in the book that tells about the struggles with emotional control and how sometimes explaining and verbalizing our problems out loud sounds like complaining, but it is only our way of trying to find ...more
Laura A. Barton
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
I've read this book a couple times and each time it was a different experience as I was at different stages in my own battle with Dermatillomania. While I don't identify with Angela's story to the letter, this book played a big part in my own journey of recovering with this disorder and helped me really realize all those years ago for the first time that I was not alone with this disorder. The book contains her very personal journal/blog entires and tell of her own personal account, which are ca ...more
Kelli
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was very poignant for me. Angela writes honestly and heartbreakingly about her struggle with dermatillomania. I appreciated her honest look at the issue, and how it affects her life.

I wonder if she wrote the book a little prematurely. She hasn't really come to grips with her issues surrounding the disease by the end of the book. I suppose that's part of the point, that it's a lifelong struggle. Reading her blog has given me more insight into her changing mindset. She seems to be in a
Dani (The Pluviophile Writer)
This book really hit home for me. It took the words right out of my mouth.

Leanne
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is so helpful to read if you have dermatillomania. It made me feel less alone. It was such a relief to read about someone else's experience with this all too consuming habit.
Adrienne Sanden
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
While it had some rather compelling passages, the tone of the book quickly became too much for me. I recognize that the bulk of the content is from the author's personal diary. Sharing that material is a remarkable act of courage. Still, I had some issues with the book as a whole. This individual was clearly struggling with some deeper issues that manifested themselves in Dermatollomania, which is a compulsive behavior and not a disorder in its own right. I was saddened by the irresolution at th ...more
Susan
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A gripping book that tells of a young woman's struggles with mental health issues including depression, anxiety, bipolar, borderline personality disorder and mainly, dermatillomania. It's an unsettling read, especially for someone who has this or other disorders. On one hand it's relieving to know you're not alone but on the other hand, it could be triggering at times to read her honest, wretched retelling of relationships gone awry, awkwardness, embarrassment and shame. Although it is written i ...more
Prettytaz83
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I appreciate the author's willingness to share her story so more people can understand this order better.

I suffer from dermatillomania as well (although nothing as severe as what the author went through!), and was hoping to use this book to help some family members understand it better. However, I don't suffer from the depression / anxiety issues the author does, so I don't know that it will quite serve that purpose.

But, it was empowering to see someone cope with and manage their struggles, and
Heather
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A personal experience soured me a little on this book, but if I'm being fair, it wasn't really the book itself that was to blame. The book is good, and I did enjoy it, especially as someone who is very familiar with dematillomania's sister disorder (trichtotillomania). I was able to relate to it and sympathize with it, which certainly is, I think, what the story is aiming for, and it was well written. All in all, a good book.
Sandra
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very brave and very helpful!
Jennifer Pinkerton
I've been doing research on this issue since I have it (too a much less extreme degree thankfully). While our issues aren't exactly similar, at least I can say I'm not the only one.
Allison
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
As a sufferer of this disorder, I am relieved that it is finally coming out into the open! just knowing that I am not alone in this has helped me so much!
Rebecca Renea
Jun 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I feel like with something like this I can't say what I want to say because it is a memoir about someone going through something extremely rough and detrimental to their health. All I will say, is that it was not what I thought it would be and was basically just the person's journal. I did not like it for that fact.
Grace
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, awesome
Anyone who suffers severe depression or Derma should give this a read. It makes you feel less alone and it's so honest.
Soph ♡
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book went much deeper than Dermatillomania. I never expected it to be a journal of happiness, but this was much too dark a read for my liking.
The Rainbow Zebra

• Horrorstör
  • All Adults Here
  • You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
  • God, If You're Not Up There, I'm F*cked
  • We Are Never Meeting in Real Life.
  • Meaty
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • The Mammoth Hunters
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear
  • The Shelters of Stone
  • The Valley of Horses
  • The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children #4)

News & Interviews