Start by marking “New Model Army” as Want to Read:
New Model Army

New Model Army

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  564 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Adam Roberts' new novel is a terrifying vision of a near future war - a civil war that tears the UK apart as new technologies allow the world's first truly democratic army to take on the British army and wrest control from the powers that be.
Published April 15th 2010 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about New Model Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Model Army

Scott
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
If you love a good high-concept novel, you'll love New Model Army.

Roberts is one of the most interesting writers working in Science Fiction, consistently producing work that while not always perfect is always both thoughtful and fascinating. New Model Army is as interesting and imaginative as his other works, but comes closer to perfection than many of them.

Tony Block, our narrator, is a born soldier, a man whose only home is in a fighting force. Block is a soldier in Pantegral, a ‘New Model Arm
K.J. Charles
An intriguing near-future read, where 'new model armies' (mercenaries, basically, connected by tech and run as democracies on an ongoing basis) are 'disrupting' the hell out of the UK. The Scottish Parliament has hired a NMA to do their fighting for independence. It's a terrific concept, with lots to say about the nature of true democracy (the armies are literally making mutual decisions about battle plans based on votes as they fight), based on Hobbes' Leviathan, with more than a dash of Wells ...more
James Kemp
May 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no-one
It has a Fab Concept. However it doesn't quite work. Some of it is too heavy handed and not well enough researched to be credible.

I bought this book because I liked the premise, a change in the nature of warfare brought about by better information available to the whole army through a wiki style network. It has promise for some very interesting stories, but the author instead wrote a political polemic based on very old fashioned stereotypes and without bothering to do his research.

Accepting th
Jim Smith
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Adam Robert's work, but found myself by turns frustrated and dazzled with the ideas and concepts he throws around in this latest book. In one sense, the book works best as a philosophical discussion of the nature of modern combat. It's when you look at the practicalities of the storyline that some problems emerge (well, for me anyway).

First off, money. Who is paying these troops and how is their equipment financed/obtained? Next, a totally democratic and decentralised chain of comm
Ignacio
¿Es posible la existencia de un ejército basado en una estructura horizontal? Gran parte de Ejército Nuevo Modelo está orientada a responder esa pregunta, lo que la lleva a convertirse en una novela con tesis o, según se mire, una tesis levantada sobre una novela. Si no se pierde de vista, es una lectura disfrutable con una guerra de guerrillas en un paisaje urbano desplegada de manera aseada con su base plausible y algunos puntos más débiles sostenidos sobre meros actos de fe. Me agrada el narr ...more
Andrew Liptak
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
New Model Army, by Adam Roberts, takes an interesting look at the function of warfare and society with the question: What if a hierarchical military, such as ones set up along the lines of the British or U.S. Armies, and pitted it against an army that was fully democratic in its organization?

The concept is an interesting one, and the book as a whole is a perfect example of something that I’ve wanted to see in the subgenre: a world in which the military itself is examined, not only in the tactica
Raul Ruiz
Coincido con Ignacio Illárregi con que estamos delante de una "novela con tesis o, desde otra óptica, una tesis levantada sobre una novela" ( https://tinyurl.com/y9yt6s86 ) No todas las novelas de CF han de verse bajo esa óptica (ni siquiera la mayoría) pero esta parece que lo pide a gritos. Y es lo que hace de un libro que es entretenido hasta la página 200 e infumable de la 200 a la 240, una novela fallida. No es porque esté mal remata (que lo está). Es porque la idea central del libro esta ta ...more
Malcolm F. Cross
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jason Fischer
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I want to give this a 3.5/5. I was initially sceptical of the concept that an unhackable wiki could effectively train laypeople to become multifunction soldiers. Ie the soldiers referring to photos on wikipedia to treat gun-shot wounds, when it takes years of training to be a combat medic. There would be many real-world ways for traditional law enforcement and military to overcome the New Model Armies. There would need to be firearms training, finance trails, procurement of illegal weapons from ...more
Álex
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Lo mejor, sin lugar a dudas, es el tono del narrador. Decir juguetón es quedarse corto: rítmico, musical, chispeante, mordaz (muy, muy mordaz). Después tenemos el aspecto ideológico, y sí, ahí el autor es bastante audaz. Bastante. Sin embargo, da la sensación de que la visión es más bien estrecha, que no explora más que un bando, una visión. El antagonista es meramente anecdótico.

Después tenemos la cuestión estructural. Aunque la lectura en sí es una gozada y la idea es muy actual, hay precedent
R!ch
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: action-sci-fi
Fantastic concepts and big ideas that at times would get bogged down by completely unreadable sections where the author attempted to write in a more poetic and metaphorical style. It's not that metaphor and abstraction can be bad, it's simply that in this case it was bad. There is an interminable segment wheeee the protagonist gets a bird's eye view of Europe and the reader is expected to slog through page after page of awkward metaphor and description.

Which is too bad, because this is a great b
Jordi Salazar
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
La primera parte me gustó mucho y la idea de la democracia me sedujo. Pero me perdí en las dos partes posteriores.
Jose Miguel Rivas Bueno
Empieza muy bien, muy interesante y muy bien contado. Con acción, reflexiones, etc. Y la última parte del libro es un galimatías. No he entendido nada. ¿Seré tonto?
Adam Whitehead
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Britain has been engulfed by war. The Scottish Parliament has declared independence only to find the British Army being deployed to keep control of the country. In retaliation Scotland has contracted a New Model Army, Pantegral, to fight on its behalf.

New Model Armies are paramilitary forces the likes of which the world has not seen before. They are democratic mercenary forces where every soldier is consulted - via real-time communications - over the formulation of tactics and strategy. NMAs are
Christopher Law
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Richard
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sf, richard-s, books
Last year's Yellow Blue Tibia was probably my favourite SF book, so I was looking forward to this. Actually, to digress before I review this, something I like about Adam Roberts is that he doesn't write the same book twice; in style or theme, and he doesn't appear to be interested in writing multi-volume series (not that they are inherently bad, but it's good when a talented writer produces something different every time).

New Model Army is based around the idea of a truly democratic army (in an
David Hebblethwaite
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can safely say that New Model Army is like no other book I’ve ever read. I know this because I have no name for the feeling I was left with after I’d finished it. That’s a recommendation, by the way.

A few decades hence, a new kind of fighting force has emerged: organised on democratic principles (Athenian democracy, that is), New Model Armies (NMAs for short) have no command structure, and no specialisms; soldiers communicate with each other in the field via private wikis, and all decisions ar
Sean
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was breathlessly recommended by someone whose opinion I respect. I don't think it deserved the breathlessness, but it was pretty good.

It's a hard book to review without spoiling it. I don't think the ending was quite set up as well as it should have been, though at the same time I'm not sure how it could have been set up better without tipping the author's hand. (Not that the ending was a huge surprise, if you're familiar with common SF tropes.)

The book was fun, the descriptive languag
Stuart McMillan
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to categorise this? Is it really SF?

I'd say Adam Roberts has worked hard to make this an accessible entry to the genre, with a reliance on technology that's familiar to most of us by now to create a fluidly democratic army based around wiki's and 'Like' voting buttons.

The premise that such a socially cohesive unit could form is an interesting idea, but I'm not convinced that societal changes are possible to this extent. Obviously this is a meme explored in other relatively recent books - Cor
Robert
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise but sad to say I abandoned reading it three quarters of the way through. The criticism of "feudal" command structures is certainly a very good one, but I think Roberts doesn't realise that the modern British army doesn't merely consist of soldiers blindly following orders, though I like the idea that an "NMA" type army could collectively decide its objectives in real-time. But the idea a bunch of civilians could cobble together an effective fighting force with limited trainin ...more
Martin
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
The first part of this book was a very solid 5*. I loved the concept of an army that operated in a more free borg like manner. Essentially thousands of people all joining their minds and thoughts together to make educated, discussed and fair decisions. Want to blow up that bridge? Put it to a vote. Take prisoners? Put it to a vote, and whatever answer you get you go with, whether you agree or not. An army with no leaders. A true democracy.
I loved reading about the conflicts and movements of the
Liviu
Apr 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I finished "New Model Army" and I was a little mixed - it's a very readable book and a page turner and actually the concept of the New Model Army makes sense and it could be real with a little more improvement in technology - you should think a New Model Army (NMA short and there are tons around btw) as a new kind of sentient organism composed by some thousands of smaller sentient cells (ie people) that makes war because it's fun, the new kid on the block that smashes things as he experiments; o ...more
Documentally
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Scottish Parliament after declaring independence hires the services of Pantegral, A 'New Model Army' to fight on its behalf.

NMA's are democratic mercenary forces with every soldier equipped with a wrist computer enabling real-time communications via a secure Wiki. Tactics are democratically decided during battle and the movements of all groups are guided with personal access to live sat maps and intelligence from networked ground troops.

Every NMA soldier is trained to be infantry, engineer,
Richard Watt
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be the most satisfying Adam Roberts book I've read. His ideas are never less than brilliant - this one is about a civil war in England fought between a traditional army, and one with no leaders or hierarchy which relies on technology to make all strategic decisions democratically and on the fly.

The plot follows a traditional Roberts structure - plunging you into the setup and showing you what's happening as you go along. Unlike some others I've read, however, this one maintains the inte
Jeremy Hornik
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a couple of things. They don't quite all come together but I really liked it. I've mostly soured on sci-fi as a grownup person, even though I keep trying. Now, between this and "Yellow Blue Tibia" I think Adam Roberts is pretty delightful... they're books where big crazy ideas are acted out, with a human depth to their generally antisocial protagonists.

This one starts with a long combat sequence, focusing on the actions of a perfectly small-d democratic and wireless army... a wiki-style
Chris
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has some fabulous ideas and was a fun read. It imagines near-future small guerrilla armies that make all decisions through democracy. The first half reads as the memoirs/propaganda of a soldier from one of these armies. The first trap of the book is to play armchair general and nitpick the how these engagements would "really" play out. It's a work of fiction rather than legitimate military doctrine and is much more enjoyable if you play by its rules. The first half of the book is very ...more
Chumofchance
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, and also to not give any reviews on my page for under four stars, but it ended up being just too frustrating. Worth reading though? Yes, especially if you're interested in futuristic warfare, small 'l' libertarianism, and why democracy is great.

The problem? Little too much choppy off-the-cuff 1st person narrative. Little too much of the main character's trysting with his ex. And the last few chapters, in Strasbourg? WTF.

Still, the ideas put forth are nothing if
Bruce
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I recently read Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts and while I liked it quite a bit I felt it was missing the transcendent. Fortunately, New Model Army has oodles.

For me NMA was very evocative of Starship Troopers; half the book is the story of an army of the future at war, and the other half is a philosophical exploration of the nature of just government.

But this is no golden age young-adultish book, but an intellectual exploration of a future much closer to now than Heinlein's. Gripping and tho
  • The Restoration Game
  • With A Little Help
  • Sirius: A Fantasy of Love and Discord
  • Cyberabad Days
  • The Rising (The Alchemy Wars, #2)
  • Book Was There: Reading in Electronic Times
  • Pop Apocalypse: A Possible Satire
  • Zendegi
  • SWELL
  • Blue and Gold
  • Absorption (Ragnarok #1)
  • Grand Central Arena  (Grand Central Arena, #1)
  • Visionary in Residence: Stories
  • Alien Phenomenology, or What It’s Like to Be a Thing
  • Geosynchron (Jump 225, #3)
  • The Last Crusaders: The Hundred-Year Battle for the Center of the World
  • Bold as Love (Bold as Love, #1)
  • Against the Fall of Night / Beyond the Fall of Night

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the
More about Adam Roberts

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)