Start by marking “Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)

Blue Lightning

(Shetland Island #4)

Shetland Detective Jimmy Perez knows it will be a difficult homecoming when he returns to the Fair Isles to introduce his fiancee, Fran, to his parents. When a woman's body is discovered at the renowned Fair Isles bird observatory, Jimmy must investigate the old-fashioned way."
Published 2010 by MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Blue Lightning, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lilian
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Richard Derus
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
2017 UPDATE So there's this BBC TV series and this book (out of order, why do producers do that?) gets the business in it. The series isn't faithful to the books, but it's good anyway.

Rating: 4 very very disgruntled stars of five

The Publisher Says: In the fourth book of Ann Cleeves’ critically acclaimed series set in the Shetland Islands, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiancée home to Fair Isle, a birder’s paradise, where strangers are viewed with suspicions and distrust. When a woma
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Poor Jimmy Perez can't even travel home to introduce his fiance to his parents without someone gets murdered and since he is the only cop there, and it's bad weather and no one can get there and no one can get off the island, he has the solve the murder. A bit like Midsomer Murders, on an island, with a lot of suspects. And, of course, with a lot of suspects with motives.

Was I surprised how good this book was? Hell yes, the previous three books can't compare to how intense this book was, or perh
Sheila
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, scotland
The Shetland quartet comes to a close in Anne Cleeves’ Blue Lightning, and it’s end is a satisfying blend of tragic mystery and hope, perfectly suited to that ever-present character in these novels—the gray winds, clouds and seas of the Shetland Isles. (Of course, there are further books now, but Blue Lightning is the last of the original set—and yes, I shall be looking out for more.)

Characters have been built up over the sequence of novels. Now there are plans for the future in the air, familie
Liz
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think I’m in a fit state of mind to really review this book, so I’ll keep it brief. Fair Isle during a powerful gale is the atmospheric backdrop to the scene of multiple murders. Jimmy works the case, but in this one he has a very personal stake. I am wrung out after reading this one… it’s fitting that the victims were run through with a knife, because that’s just about how I feel now. Right through the heart. But damn. Anne Cleeves just does it so well.
Johanna
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, scotland
I wish I could give this book six stars.

I have no idea why Ann Cleeves isn't more famous. She is an exceptional story teller. This latest book was an absolute masterpiece. Everyone should read her books.

This book is the fourth in her Shetland Island series. Her character development is deep without becoming boring, the plot flows perfectly without seeming contrived. I am always disappointed when her books end. I can't wait for the next one!

FYI - She has a series about a couple who are bird wat
Weasel
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
LeeAnne
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
ARRRGGHHH!! I was SO looking forward to this book! As the fourth and final book in a quartet of books set in the Shetland Islands, the author was supposed to tie things up neatly and leave the reader satisfied. For the first 326 pages, I thought she was going to do that and then, she sucked the life right out of the book for me. SOOO disappointing. I'm not sure if the ending has left the possibility that the author will continue with the same main character but even if she does, I'm not certain ...more
Chrissa Vasileiou
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
3,5/5 αστεράκια.

Η άποψή μου για το βιβλίο στο site "Book City" και τον παρακάτω σύνδεσμο: Γαλάζια αστραπή
Kathleen
Mar 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've loved Ann Cleeves. I've loved the Shetland Mysteries.
And I loved this one right up till the final 20 pages, when a plot twist so irritating ruined the whole thing. Ugh.
Always Pink
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Oh no, Ann! Don't do that to me! – I love this series, but it crushes me that the author is killing off every character I like especially... The ending kind of spoiled my morning? I need a cuppa.
Cathy Cole
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
First Line: Fran sat with her eyes closed.

Fair Isle is a remote location in the Shetland Islands, in many ways better known to dedicated birdwatchers than any other group of people. When the weather closes in, landing an airplane there can be a very dicey affair. Fran learns this the hard way as she comes to visit her fiance's parents before she and Jimmy are married.

Her visit has barely begun when a celebrity scientist who ran the island's bird research center is murdered. Left with her soon-to
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The final book in the Shetlands Quartet and I think this one was the best of the four.for Jimmy and Fran have got engaged and have gone to spend a few days with his parents, who organise an engagement party for them. The party takes place in the old converted lighthouse, which is also the Islands Bird Observatory run by Angela and Maurice Moore. Angela is something of a celebrity in her field and somewhat younger than her husband. The cook at the center, Jane, is escaping her former life in Lond ...more
Suzy
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzy by: previous Shetland books
Another solid entry in Cleeves's Shetland Island mystery series. I love how she brings in unique aspects of Shetland culture, as she did in Red Bones with the archaeological digs and knitting culture of Whalsay Island. This book takes place on Fair Isle, the island our detective Jimmy Perez grew up on. And the unique aspect in this book is birding.

Jimmy and girlfriend Fran go to Fair Isle for Fran to "meet the parents". Much of the action takes place in a fictional bird observatory housed in an
pigstar911
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have to admit I'm disappointed in this book although I really enjoyed the series overall. I disliked the ending and it felt like some of the decisions made were just really stupid and didn't make sense when there's a murderer among a small group of people. Good writing although it moves a bit slowly but I found that to be typical in this series. I probably will pick up the next one eventually.
Lisa Houston
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic read by this author. Just love her Shetland series books. She has a great way of writing. Good plots to keep you hanging on wondering who done it. Back again with Inspector Perez. This time he leaves the mainland Shetland to go visit his parents on the Fair isle. No pub, little to do yet he ends up investigating a serial killer who has killed 3 women.
Larraine
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The photo of Ann Cleeves in her books shows an older woman with short, graying hair, a full face and a lovely smile. Who would think that beneath this smile, lies an imagination that is surprising and dark.To say this book - once again - took me by surprise in its constant turns and twists as well as darkness, is putting it mildly. This is a writer who has hooked me completely! This is the fourth in the Shetland series which apparently has another coming soon.

Detective Jimmy Perez has taken som
Bettie☯
mp3 workaday

[2010], 10 hours 32 mins

Blurb: Shetland Detective Jimmy Perez knows it will be a difficult homecoming when he returns to the Fair Isles to introduce his fiancee, Fran, to his parents. Challenging to live on at the best of times, with the autumn storms raging, the island feels cut off from the rest of the world. Trapped, tension is high and tempers become frayed. When a woman's body is discovered at the renowned Fair Isles bird observatory, with feathers threaded through her hair, the
Rosemary
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it until the cruel ending :(
Azita Rassi
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Barbara
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great installment of this atmospheric series!
Ms.pegasus
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any lover of mysteries
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The Shetland Islands are remote, only ostensibly part of the UK. “Southerners” are viewed as foreigners, different in accent, idiom, outlook, and culture. Cleeves reinforces that sense of isolation by staging this novel on Fair Isle, accessible only by ferry or air, and inaccessible much of the time due to sudden storms, fog, and long brooding winters. Layers of further remoteness are piled on that foundation. The nature centre where most of the action occurs is a converted lighthouse at a dista ...more
Trish
Eadie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
This 4th installment of Ann Cleeves Shetland Island series takes place on Fair Isle home of the Perez family. I loved the smallness of the island and the dreary, rainy weather is the perfect atmosphere for murder. Cleeves plots out the murders with expertise without giving much away about who's doing the killings until the very end. The ending is so shocking, you have to go back and read it again to make sure you read it right. I love authors who take chances with their characters and do the une ...more
CLM
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Are you kidding me, Ann Cleeves?
Romanticamente Fantasy
Chi è “la ragazza dell’isola”?

Angela Moore, la star locale? Colei che ha scoperto un uccello creduto estinto da tutti, per poi sposarsi con un anziano accademico e ritirarsi in un avamposto sperduto nel nord della Scozia?

Oppure è la sua figliastra, le cui sfuriate sono ormai leggenda? O ancora Fran, la fidanzata dell’ispettore Perez, giunta nella remota isola di Fair per conoscere la di lui famiglia? O magari Jane, la cuoca del centro, che si è ritirata in come un’eremita in quel posto sperduto,
Shari
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy and Fran have gone to Fair Isle so that Fran can meet his parents before the wedding. Jimmy's mother has already planned a big community party so that everyone can meet Fran. Fran realizes there is nothing she can do but grin and bear it. The party is held at the North Light field center, the old north lighthouse which is now a nature center overseen by Warden Angela Moore, where she counts and rings birds and pays attention to the migratory path and the birds that fly over. The party take ...more
Colin Mitchell
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
Started this series back in 2013 and now cannot remember the reason for not continuing until now. This is the fourth in the series and finds Inspector Jimmy Perez taking his fiancee Fran to meet his parents on the nearby, to Shetland, Fair Isle. Not sooner has he arrived when Angela Parry, the warden of the island research centre, is found dead stabbed through the back. With storms brewing Jimmy is forced to take on the investigation but finds the locals mistrusting him even though he is a local ...more
Kathy
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
was on a wait list forever to get the Kindle version and quickly recognized fact I had read this book long ago (as well as having viewed the production of it)-- I guess I thought it was the 7th which I am still waiting for
Went ahead and skimmed through again, but with this particular book it's best first time and sad to be reminded of this trip to Fair Isles.
Judy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jimmy Perez is such a real and likable man that I will be reading more in this series. The bonus is that I love reading stories set in other cultures. Shetland, and especially Fair Isle, sounds like a wild and beautiful place that I should visit some day. Taking with me of course a translator and hoping no murders occur while I'm there.
Mark
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of detectives that play somewhere different
Recommended to Mark by: the BBC tv show
Having first come in contact with this series through the BBC tv show of the 3rd book of the series I did decide upon the strenght of that show to seek out the source, namely the books called "the Shetland quartet".
First some advise, there is a new book written a fifth, do not read what the book is about as it does contain some spoilers for this particular books ending!!!

So how can anyone enjoy a book about birders, bird-spotters, that is set on on a remote small Shetland island which happens to
Play Book Tag: Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves - 4.5 stars 2 11 Jun 21, 2018 05:35AM
Spoiler in reviews 6 32 Sep 04, 2013 06:21AM
  • The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy, #2)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway, #6)
  • Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #13)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • The Betrayal of Trust (Simon Serrailler, #6)
  • The Raven's Eye (Brock & Kolla, #12)
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • Watching the Dark (Inspector Banks, #20)
  • Driftnet (Rhona MacLeod #1)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann

Shetland Island (8 books)
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
  • Thin Air (Shetland Island, #6)
  • Cold Earth (Shetland Island, #7)
  • Wild Fire (Shetland Island, #8)
“the lull between clearing up after lunch and serving dinner. Dinner was already prepared; a casserole” 0 likes
“Even if she” 0 likes