Start by marking “Figure Drawing: Design and Invention” as Want to Read:
Figure Drawing: Design and Invention

Figure Drawing: Design and Invention

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  852 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Figure Drawing: Design and Invention is an instructional figure drawing book geared towards the novice and experienced artist alike. This book emphasizes a simplified understanding of surface anatomy, in order to clarify the mechanics of the figure, facilitate invention, and ultimately create a skill-set that can be successfully applied to other media. In addition, this bo ...more
Perfect Paperback, 240 pages
Published August 31st 2009 by M. Hampton

To ask other readers questions about Figure Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Figure Drawing

Randall Newnham
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Drawing has been a lifelong interest of mine, but until recently, I was barely able to draw much more than a stick figure. Around a year ago, I decided to seriously devote efort to learning to draw. It's a great skill to have, requires little in the way of materials and can be fun. SInce that decision, I've purchased and used about 10 books to drawing, mostly figure drawing. this was the last book on the subject I purchased, and, I am convinced, the last one I need. Hampton lays out what you nee ...more
Parka
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

The approach covered is primarily concerned with the use of line, development of form, and the simplified design of anatomy. It doesn't go into contour drawing, shading and expression.

The many illustrated examples are aimed at helping students develop a feel for the form and volume of figures they draw. To that aspect, I think it does a very good job.

The use of simple geometric shapes as drawing guides are simple to understand. Not only that, Michael Hampton als
Daisy
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the best drawing book in my collection so far. It mainly focuses on anatomy drawing fundamentals, varying from the use of lines to anatomy in general. Almost everything beginners need to know about drawing anatomy is covered here, in an efficient and well-organized way.

This book is very friendly and accessible for beginners who are willing to learn about anatomy. Unlike other anatomy art books that might confuse beginners by directly showing references to the real human body, the author
Nate Berna
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The beauty of this book is that it gives you a foundation for drawing that can be applied to any artistic path. I'd say it's just as useful for a storyboard artist as it would be for a product designer. It's an all around solid lesson in draftsmanship and working through it plugged a lot of my weak spots in that department.

I also loved the practical approach to anatomy that simplified everything to the core shapes you need as an artist. Teaches you the 20% you need to know to get 90% of things d
Tazio Bettin
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, art-books
One of the very best books on anatomy I've ever stumbled upon. Wonderful for understanding the structure of the body, though maybe not as good as Burne Hogarth's when it comes to gesture and pose.
Beatriz
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it at a slow pace while working on my art.
The most amazing approach to anatomy I've seen! Learn so much from it, highly recommend it to anyone who's starting to draw or even already neck deep in the art world. You can never have too much anatomy knowledge.
Oscar
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute keeper; I plan to have this guy handy on a nearby shelf whenever I am drawing.
J.T.
Helped me tremendously with my figure drawing. I'd give it six stars if I could.
Ben Turner
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rwr
Michael Hampton's book on figure drawing is a must read and an amazing reference book. It is a fantastic book for artists who are looking to become more than novices, and who want to be able to create drawing poses using only their knowledge of anatomy. While it is a little bit confusing (I would recommend Chris Hart's books for absolute novices) it gives a great deal of information without being a medical textbook, and without being dull. It gives artists (like me) who have difficult finding pr ...more
KC Lee
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book on the construction of the human body. It teaches anatomy without being overwhelmingly complex like many anatomy books are. Bones and muscle groups are broken down into comprehensive shapes. Clear, color-coded demonstrations are labeled and often accompanied by written explanations.  It also touches on important things like weight, rhythm, and more. I owe much of my knowledge and drawing technique to what I learned from this wonderful book and recommend it to anyone and ...more
Peter Cappetto
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a nice collection of drawing books, but "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" rates among the best. Hampton develops new material at a nice pace and explains the importance of each step. It is clear how prior steps affect the overall process of drawing a human figure. The book starts from establishing a gesture and proceeds to continue building up the figure by adding volume and adding muscles.
Reuel
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Very useful book on the analytic constructive anatomy approach to drawing the human body (or anything). Good hand-drawn illustrations. Simplified ways to construct and design the figure, either from a model or imagination.
Rich F
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm so impressed with this book. It provides a clear progression from gesture to detailed anatomy for people with a beginner to intermediate level of figure drawing skill.

I particularly like how Michael Hampton purposefully makes his figures blocky or round to emphasize form.
Nate B
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and thorough introduction to figure drawing that I feel augmented my abilities with a greater understanding of the overall process of developing the figure.
scherzo♫
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art
DTO recommendation
Maria Catarina
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great reference to understand forms, skeleton and muscles in a simplified design and has great tips to improve life drawing, capturing the gesture of the figure.
Jedkimball
Great structural concepts for understanding the figure
kaśyap
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, art
Definitely one of the best figure drawing books i have referred to.
Kristen
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Invaluable. Well worth the money.
Don
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drawing
A great book on the structure of drawing the human figure. I carry it with me in my backpack wherever i go
Ma Sol
Shelby Mckinlay
rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2016
Lory Epis
rated it did not like it
Oct 26, 2016
Suresh
May 06, 2014
  • Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • The Skillful Huntsman: Visual Development of a Grimm Tale at Art Center College of Design
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • Anatomy Lessons From the Great Masters
  • Constructive Anatomy (Dover Anatomy for Artists)
  • Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting (Mastering (North Light Books))
  • Successful Drawing
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up
  • Design (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 2: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • Drawing the Human Head (Practical Art Books)
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics