Start by marking “On a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer” as Want to Read:
On a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer

On a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The stampeding true story of one woman's journey from timorous equestrian novice to wildly whooping cowgirl-a madcap ride through Argentina that will fascinate horse lovers, travelers, andarmchair adventurers alike.
As a girl, Polly Evans dreamed about learning to ride-and in her mid-thirties the obsession returned. Determined to finally bite the bullet and saddle up, she
Published April 29th 2008 by Delta (first published March 1st 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about On a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer on a Hoof and a Prayer

Holly Booms Walsh
Interesting subject, and some of the anecdotes were interesting, but it was mostly lackluster and I kept skimming.
Chris
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, horse, 2017
This is meh book. It isn't bad; there just seems to be not much there. Evans seems like a perfectly fun person, but this travel book is like listening to someone's vacation stories where nothing much happens. It's strange too, at least some of the structure because despite the inclusion of horses, it is not a horse lover's book that much.
Tricia
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Put it down for months, only to pick it up back up and skim the remaining chapters. Evans had never been my favorite travel writer, not sure why I keep coming back to her. Lots of history, but a bit dull. I do admire her adventurous, easy-going spirit though!
Barbara
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers, horse-lovers, anyone interested in Argentina
Recommended to Barbara by: my brother
Polly's always fun! And while I did stall out about half-way through, it wasn't her fault. I got distracted.

Ms. Evans always works some personal challenge into her travel. This time it's learning to ride horses and then doing all sorts of riding while exploring Argentina. It's colorful, descriptive, entertaining and touched with humor along the way. I enjoyed the journey; she's so good at weaving in bits of history, what others have observed, then topping it off with some wry or comical observa
Wanda
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Polly travels to Argentina to do a little touring and ride some horses. The first place she stays she learns how to ride and she then proceeds to ride at many of the different places she visits all over the country. She explores the country from top to bottom and is in small villages and big cities staying in a variety of accommodations and riding many different horses.
She includes a lot of history about Argentina, has great descriptions of the areas she visits and does it all with a little hum
Phair
Aug 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travelogue
This is my third time following Polly's adventures. I liked the first half quite well. This time the weaving in of historical background did not seem as jarring and pedantic as in previous books- perhaps because I am less familiar with South American history. By 3/4 of the way I was getting tired of the journey which started to feel rushed and forced. I had really hoped for a bit more of a horseback adventure but Argentina is a big country so I guess she did have to get on other modes of transp ...more
John
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse people and travel lit fans
Shelves: travel, library_books
I've read an awful lot of travel narrative/lit/essay since finishing Evans' previous installment, so had forgotten that she's more laid back than many other writers in this genre, not a bad thing, but different. At first, not being a "horse person", I'd feared that I wouldn't be able to get into the book, but those episodes are well integrated; author does a great job of covering Argentina's regions - from Iaguazu Falls in the far north to Ushuaia in the polar south. Definitely recommended.
Audrey
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adventurous British woman travels to Argentina to learn how to ride horses while exploring the many beautiful regions of the country. The book was a great read while traveling. It contains detailed descriptions of Argentina and made me want to go back to see places I missed (which would be most of it).
Bronwen
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended this read by a local library. I've never been to Argentina but would love to go now and do some riding while I'm there. Easy read, it only took me a day and a half to read and gives you insights into areas of Argentina too. Very recommended, especially if you are a 'horsey-type'!!
Darlene
This is not a detailed guide but a light romp around Argentina. I particularly liked the thumbnail bios of Che Guevara and Evita Peron, and the quick sketches of voyagers's attempts to tame both Nature and Natives. Evans shares her communion with the variety of landscapes and weather in this long stretch of land east of the Andes.
Grace
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, horse
I had to read a travel narrative for my Social Studies class so I choose this one. This book started out really strong, but eventually it just got repeated. She goes to a town to ride horses, almost every town is out of horses, she rides the horse, she leaves. I did not like the writing style, how it swapped between history and her POV it made it very confusing to read.
Nora
Jul 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I wanted a Bill Bryson funny travel book (it was promised on the back cover.) Instead I got heavy, detailed history of every single area of Argentina. Let me summarize: "In Argentina there have been a lot of wars."
Kimberly DuBoise
This book does a great job blending history with adventure; I enjoyed the author's style of writing and reflection. Very descriptive and informative. I see this book as a journal and memoir in one. Enjoyed this book!
Keith Bennett
Mar 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Original adventure in Argentina this is not. One lady's holiday at a series of organised riding centres. Disappointing.
Lizz
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favorite of her books. I've been to Argentina 3 times and some of the areas she visited. I don't think she really captured the feel of this country.
Jackie
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A timely and enjoyable read. We leave for Patagonia the end of this week.
Russ Kennedy
Amusing read. Not as many hooves as might be expected from title.
Michael Seeds
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An insightful visit to the huge country of Argentina. Polly Evans is a pleasure to read.
Andres Carter
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fun to read and full of interesting facts and stories. Loved seeing familiar sights through a strangers eyes as well as places and experiences I would never try for myself.
Diane Viall
A fun travelogue through Argentina.
Sarah Anderson
  • Bad Times in Buenos Aires
  • Road to Santiago
  • Held at a Distance: My Rediscovery of Ethiopia
  • The Early Arrival of Dreams: A Year in China
  • The Things You Find on the Appalachian Trail: A Memoir of Discovery, Endurance and a Lazy Dog
  • Along The Enchanted Way: A Romanian Story
  • Last Seen in Lhasa: The story of an extraordinary friendship in modern Tibet
  • French By Heart: An American Family's Adventures in La Belle France
  • Bluebird: Women and the New Psychology of Happiness
  • Off the Road: A Modern-Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain
  • Where's the Next Shelter?
  • The Scent Trail: A Journey of the Senses
  • Among the Cannibals: Adventures on the Trail of Man's Darkest Ritual
  • Walking My Dog Jane: From Valdez to Prudhoe Bay Along the Trans-Alaska Pipeline
  • The Sign of the Cross: Travels in Catholic Europe
  • Lost White Tribes: The End of Privilege and the Last Colonials in Sri Lanka, Jamaica, Brazil, Haiti, Namibia, and Guadeloupe
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health