Start by marking “Living with Voices: 50 Stories of Recovery” as Want to Read:
Living with Voices: 50 Stories of Recovery

Living with Voices: 50 Stories of Recovery

This book is a groundbreaking development in modern mental health because it recognises the importance of the first hand experience and argues that hearing voices is not a sign of madness but a reaction to serious problems in life. Must-read book for all concerned with mental health issues.
Published February 23rd 2013 by PCCS Books

To ask other readers questions about Living with Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with Voices

Start your review of Living with Voices: 50 Stories of Recovery
حماس
Hearing voices is not a singe of madness.
The story of Jacqui Dillon was an example of survival.
Social problems which began with Jacqui since she was a child,made her hear voices in an early age.The main voice was a mother voice that's kind and warm.That explains the situation Jacqui was in.Indeed her father and mother used to bring Jacqui up to be a bitch who just brings money.
The rest of the story describe how she was along years and her journey to recover,I must say that she has a strong stami
Highfellow
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who has heard critical and undermining voices for the last ten years or so, I would say that this is the best book I have found on how to live with this problem and find your way towards recovery. Reading this was the first thing I remember that gave me a sense that this was a problem that could be worked with in various ways rather than just something you had to endure and try to block out with medication (which never worked for me). Highly recommended reading for anyone who either h ...more
Siddhartha
This book should be read by mental health professionals as well as people suffering from hearing voices. It gives important insight into how the voices we hear have reasons in our past. It also gives us examples of people who have got out of their voice hearing experiences by making an effort to relate them to their past experiences and talking with the voices. An excellent book.
Initially NO
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: crisis-healing
This book contains a huge diversity of stories about hearing voices. If you wish to just skip to this section and read those stories about lived-experience and recovery, you can.
The introduction however, while interesting, could do with some rephrasing and editing. The same quotes are used not once but sometimes several times. I think this repetition is unnecessary and somewhat annoying as the quotes are often a paragraph in length.
Do read this book, as it will open your mind to the world of
Amanda Roa
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An eye-opening read on people who hear voices and how they cope with their everyday lives. The first part of the book is written in textbook style. The last half is the part that interested me -- narratives from 50 people who hear voices, their histories, their symptoms, and how they found support in recovery groups for voice-hearers. I was not aware that a great majority of voice-hearers experienced trauma of some sort in their histories. I was also not aware that the social stigma voice-hearer ...more
Olivia Thomas
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
fascinating read, great to learn from the people experiencing voice hearing.
Anser
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: voices
It's okay, could be better.

how to become a straight a student

It was fun to read this, although, it's a bit tough to grasp everything.
Mike

• Climate Justice: Hope, Resilience, and the Fight for a Sustainable Future
  • Ms Ice Sandwich
  • The Oshun Diaries: Encounters with an African Goddess
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle
  • Kali Mantra Magick: Summoning The Dark Powers of Kali Ma (Mantra Magick Series Book 2)

News & Interviews