Start by marking “How to Be Your Own Best Friend” as Want to Read:
How to Be Your Own Best Friend

How to Be Your Own Best Friend

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
"Sensible advice on how to give up childhood, accept yourself and your own maturity and deal with life on your own two feet."
DALLAS TIMES HERALD
In this unique, bestselling question-and- answer guide to self-love and acceptance, two practicing psychologists (who are also married to one another) reveal the secret of pursuing happiness, by revealing to ourselves what we think
Published December 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published May 1973)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Your Own Best Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Your Own Best Friend

Sara Sherzad
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
A good book especially for one with little or no idea on the human psychology and self development yet beneficial to others as well.

Things I read were new, most I already knew about. But the new infos had tremendous effect on me! I didn't necessarily like the two person Conversation but though the talks were beneficial.

I recommend it to younger ages maybe in high school still. Though there are parts in this book that I will reread again.

Thank you for the recommendation dearest Saza khan ^__^
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh la la! This has to be the most boring and superficial book of the week. It is written in the pattern of question and answer while trying to let it all flow together in order to maintain coherence. The book is written on the level of a daddy talking to a bunch of young little ones giving them the wisdom of life and they take in every word obediently. The title says it is supposed to teach me about how to be my own best friend while I deal with loneliness here in the States. It turns out to be ...more
Ruth Portnoy
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I read this book when I was 12. It helped me through a very difficult stage of my life.
Juanita Ray
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I bought this 56 page hardcover book published in 1971, from the library about two decades ago. Just an FYI, I am not gay but this book does address some gay issues and treats them as a disorder (changeable) which was the perception at that time.
I believe there is a reprint, newer version, but I have not read it, hence the 3 stars.
Today the quick fix for depression is Prozac despite the fact it increases suicidal tendencies. I personally have never taken Prozac or anti-depressants but close fam
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Since I'm typically happy and enjoy time in my head, I don't read Self Help books. This year it's a category in the PopSugar Reading Challenge so I chose this one, mentioned as one of Nora Ephron's favorites in the HBO special. She was good friends with the authors. The book starts and finishes strong with lots of uplifting paragraphs about being good to yourself, etc, etc, but the meat in the middle is blame your parents for your inability to love yourself and others. I'm over that trope. Anywa ...more
wAnderlUst
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
this book was an interesting little small wonder... filled with wonderful insights and its thinner than a post-it stack!

"when you stop trying to get from other people what they cant give to you, you can begin to enjoy what they can offer."
what a gem of insight!

this book is filled with little haiku like nuggets of wisdom!
Maria Maniaci
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
I've read this before and I'm sure I'll read it again when it's time for a revisit.

I'll warn you that it's an old book, from back when homosexuality was listed as a mental disorder and it's mentioned in the context of "if you want to change, you can change." If that will trigger you, then I wouldn't recommend it.
Kim
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has one of those self-help titles that makes you feel a little embarrassed that you even picked it up. However, title aside, it's a short book that reads like a be-nice-to-yourself magazine article.
Megen
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Our hospital chaplain loaned me this book. I read it in about an hour, but I'll be rereading it again to digest it. I always wished life came with an instruction book, and here it is!
Marnanel
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short book from 1974, on what would today be called cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). It's laid out in a question-and-answer format, like Plato's Republic. The foreword suggests that the questioner is the editor, Jean Owen, rather than the psychologist authors talking to themselves. In any case the questioner is a bit fulsome (the advice is "wise" and "beautiful" and so on).

Several pop-culture references, which are dated now. Also, there's a jarring moment when the authors explain why you s
jason koehne
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was quick very easy to understand & showed me new ways of looking at things so I could better understand myself & those around me. I even read it a second time & that is not who I am. If you are looking for a friend, pick up this book & you'll find you had one all along.
Lizzie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I mostly checked this out because it seemed like a really cool book to read on the train in front of other people (especially when the other book in your purse is The Lonely City) and it's a sweet sixty pages or so. I wouldn't say I'm my own best friend yet, though.
Ashley Marie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of great points! Not really a “how to” book, more of an awareness and where to start type book.
Erika
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: wisdom-and-such
Kind of facile, doesn't give the proper weight to depression and anxiety, but gosh, I'd like to believe solving all my life's problems would be this easy!
John Bond
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Brief, but some good broad points. No firm action points.
Cathy DuPont
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fast and easy, Q & A on how to like yourself. Remember this being an introspective period of my life. Thought a lot about life, living, how to conduct yourself and make proper decisions in life. There were many self help books on the market then, people all over the nation 'trying to find themselves' and I was one of them.

Needless to say, there's still many books on the market today with the same theme, however I remember this little book getting me over some bumpy roads.

Here's an example:
Aletheia
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really excellent gem. I dug up an old 1970's version of this book, was intrigued by the title, and began to read it over the course of a week. At only 91 pages, this would be considered by many to be "probably not worth reading", but the depth of insight in this book was really quite stunning.
I bookmarked nearly every page and will definitely be revisiting the insights within this books pages in the future!
Andd Becker
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
An interviewer asks questions; two psychoanalysts, in one voice, reply.
Does this 1971 book have merit today? Is there anything in this book that will help the reader bhecome his or her own best friend? Is the book dated? ("...women's liberationists...")
What should I do with the book? Give it away? Toss it? Keep it? Put it aside to decide on later?
It has a nice binding.
Angela Howell
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! "How to be your own best friend" is a must-read if you're breathing and didn't grow up in a fairy tale. Life is life. How we respond and how we take care of ourselves predict the quality of our lives. I will be reading this and re-reading this over and over. It's extremely short but largely profound!
jefrey das
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, psychology
this is a good get going advice i ever received without beating myself over it.There are insights into our upbringing & our environment that make us cease to act self destructively and add a LILT IN OUR STEP.
Shriram Narayanan
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
A short book that is a conversation in Q&A format, overall it helps thinks through oneself and is a bit of a pickup/self motivator. Written simply and good concepts that one already knows and needs reminding of periodically.

Paige
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
A decent,k short read about understanding yourself and relying on yourself for validation. There were a few homophobic/misogynistic comments sprinkled throughout, but there's good content in here despite those comments.
Justcasper
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
this book can be a constant reminder on my nightstand, but since it was written a few decades ago, its address on the gay issue is utterly outdated, other than that, it is truly an insightful book for people who are not avoidant about insights
danielle
Dec 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
sadly, this book does not teach you how to be best friends with yourself. if you had a horrible childhood, have OCD, and like reading cliches over and over again then this book is still second rate.
Lori
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was a gift and I enjoyed this read. The book is like a friend giving you a gentle nudge. It's a book on how to care for the self and to be one's own best friend. Although it was written/published in the 1970's, most of the information is still relevant for today.
Don Gubler
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: improvement
Some interesting and helpful insights into life and living it.
Denise
Oct 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me for my seminary graduation in 1976.
Josh
Aug 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: ?
Recommended to Josh by: Somewhere online?
Didn't really care for it. Obviously written when psychology was in a different place than it is today.
Glenn Rome
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was required reading for my undergraduate studies. The conversation between the psychologists allowed you to appreciate oneself. Considering the times when I read it, it was a great book!
Cliff
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a re-read, however, I still find this small book's message vague.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Romancing the Shadow: A Guide to Soul Work for a Vital, Authentic Life
  • Pulling Your Own Strings
  • Loving Each Other
  • How to Want What You Have: Discovering the Magic and Grandeur of Ordinary Existence
  • The Penguin Freud Reader
  • Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life
  • Your Miracle Brain: Maximize Your Brainpower *Boost Your Memory *Lift Your Mood *Improve Your IQ and Creativity *Prevent and Reverse Mental Aging
  • Finding the Love of Your Life
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • The Secret of Staying in Love
  • Monsters and Magical Sticks There Is No Such Thing as Hypnosis
  • Debt Cures They Don't Want You to Know about
  • Love Is Letting Go of Fear
  • The Natural: How to Effortlessly Attract the Women You Want
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient  Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • How Could You Do That?!: The Abdication of Character, Courage, and Conscience
“Most of us haven't begun to tap our own potential; we're operating way below capacity. And we'll continue as long as we are looking for someone to give us the key to the kingdom. We must realize that the kingdom is in us; and we already have the key. It's as if we're waiting for permission to start fully living.” 2 likes