Jump to ratings and reviews

Voice of Her Own: Women and the Journal Writing Journey

From Simon & Schuster, A Women of Her Own is Marlene Schiwy's treasure chest of inspiration for every woman seeking deeper self-awareness and new outlets for creativity.

Voice of Her Own offers advice on keeping a journal, including choosing a blank book, keeping the journal private, and deciding when to reread old journals.

384 pages, Paperback

2 books4 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews
16 reviews
October 17, 2022
Intellectual and beautifully written from the heart. Carefully selected quotes from famous diarists, complete with explanations how they relate to womens’ current lives. I have made many notes as it has become a companion book through my ongoing journalling journey. This book would be great in an updated edition to reflect our changing feminist cultures.
Profile Image for Em.
284 reviews5 followers
January 4, 2015
The subtitle of this book is ‘Woman and the Journal Writing Journey’, & when I saw it in the stacks I knew it was meant for me. It has inspired so many ideas, for my own journal, that I have kept for over twenty years but unfortunately I haven’t taken the time to write. The appendix in the back is full of great ideas for journal entries . This time of year I always find a tough time finding time to write the days get so jammed up with preparations for Christmas. The other aspect of this book I found so enthralling is the idea that I’m part of a chain of history of women who have written about their life and their times. Only fleetingly have I ever thought of someone reading my journal when I’m gone, but the authors had a section on planning for the future of your journal, to designate a friend to burn, or what she suggests is donating it to a Woman’s Journal collection. I’ll have to think about that.
Profile Image for Hella.
890 reviews39 followers
Read
August 6, 2016
In dit boek worden veel gepubliceerde dagboeken geciteerd, er worden ideeën aangereikt om creatiever te schrijven, om dieper te gaan en om jezelf steeds beter te leren kennen (een must voor goed schrijverschap). Om duidelijk te maken hoe het dagboek je van dienst kan zijn in het schrijfproces, citeert Schiwy af en toe uit het dagboek dat ze zelf bijhield tijdens het schrijven van dit boek. Bij elk hoofdstuk staan schrijfveren om dat in praktijk te brengen, en hoewel de methode hier rapid writing wordt genoemd, komt het op hetzelfde neer.
Aanrader!
Profile Image for Melvie.
93 reviews6 followers
December 6, 2008
This books is best for it's bibliography, but I liked they way Schiwy delves into *all* the aspects of journal writing and her selections from other journals are spot on. It got me to write in my journal again and that's saying something!
Profile Image for Marianna.
673 reviews17 followers
August 26, 2011
Good information. Sometimes gets bogged down in Jungian analysis type stuff which is a little too left field for my taste. The book also starts to repeat itself at the end. The exercises in the appendix are excellent.
Profile Image for Liaken.
1,497 reviews
November 13, 2008
A good book about journaling. Sometimes the author gives a little too much of herself, which I find distracting rather than inspiring. But it has good historical context and writing ideas.
Profile Image for Mona.
18 reviews
April 1, 2009
A prerequisite to writing and publishing your own journals. Very detailed and diverse.
Profile Image for Annie.
432 reviews37 followers
July 22, 2015
This is the kind of book that actually leaves you wanting to write. It infuses the psychic energy the muses run on. One star off on account of the length, a few other minor complaints.
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.