Start by marking “Horizons of Cosmology” as Want to Read:
Horizons of Cosmology

Horizons of Cosmology

Horizons of Cosmology: Exploring Worlds Seen and Unseen is the fourth title published in the Templeton Science and Religion Series, in which scientists from a wide range of fields distill their experience and knowledge into brief tours of their respective specialties. In this volume, highly esteemed astrophysicist Joseph Silk explores the vast mysteries and speculations of ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Templeton Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Horizons of Cosmology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horizons of Cosmology

Start your review of Horizons of Cosmology
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
I liked the data-driven stuff in the earlier parts of the book. I am familiar with the speculative edges of cosmology but appreciated some of the solid data-driven concepts in star formation and galaxy dynamics. The speculation was Okay but people like Max Tegmark do a better job. The data-driven detail is where the value was added for me.
Ronald Mccoy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting and fairly comprehensive plain language overview of cosmology. It’s a little bit old now, because there are some sections in which new discoveries have made one or two of the sections outdated, but it is still a very enjoyable read. Especially, the historical stories.
Callum Iles
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am an avid fan of the West Wing, and one thing I have always said about it is that the show is way smarter than me, but I like that it lets me tag along anyway. In a way Horizons Of Cosmology is similar. Gone are the walls of The White House, replaced with the indefinable expanse of the expanding multiverse around us.
Whilst still being a complex read, Joseph Silk reduces the phenomenally difficult concepts of theoretical physics and cosmology to bite size chapters that lay-people can make some
Gendou
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting survey of modern cosmology.
I felt like it was very watered down, which actually made some parts difficult to follow, since technical terms were avoided or introduced but not examined thoroughly.

I was happy that this book kept it modern, not diving too deep into the murky waters of historical cosmology.

I thought the treatment of Anthropic arguments and multiverse theory was fair, if not a little lenient.

I happened to notice one mistake. Silk is talking about Anthropic arguments, and
Gundopush
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I once heard it said that "There are only five people in the world who understand quantum mechanics, and two of them are lying." (Maybe the number depends on if someone is watching them lie.) Silk is clearly one of those other three. His discussion of advanced cosmological, mathematical, astronomical and quantum theories obviously come from a brilliant mind.

The book falters because Silk lacks the common touch of Hawking and Greene when trying to explain advanced concepts in ways understandable
Ken