Start by marking “In My Family/En mi familia” as Want to Read:
In My Family/En mi familia

In My Family/En mi familia

In her eagerly-awaited second book for children, In My Family/En mi familia, internationally-renowned artist Carmen Lomas Garza takes us once again to her hometown of Kingsville, Texas, near the border with Mexico. Through vibrant paintings and warm personal stories, Carmen brings to life more loving memories of growing up in a traditional Mexican American community: eatin ...more
Published February 17th 2000 by Children's Book Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about In My Family/En mi familia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Family/En mi familia

Start your review of In My Family/En mi familia
Cynda
When I was a graduate student, Lomas went to Kingsville to visit her family in the late 1990s. While she was there, she gave a presentation at the university's art gallery. She is one of several famous artists who graduated from that same university in South Texas, including Amado Pena. Lomas' main professor teased her about her problems with perspective. My non-artist self cannot detect that problem here. She may have worked that out. They reason she probably had that proble, with perspective i ...more
Reva Taylor
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-31-40
Summary: This book is about a girl named Carmen’s family and her continuing tribute to the family and community, Kingsville, Texas, that has made her into who she is today. Carmen talks about the foods she eats, the events she goes to, and even the dancing that takes place in her town.
Evaluation: I gave this book an overall rating of 3. Although I think the book is very interesting and does a very efficient job in representing other cultures, I think the illustrations are missing many elements.
Kristin Thomas
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-31-40
Summary: "En Mi Familia" is about a young girl named Carmen who takes her readers to her hometown of Kingsville Texas. Carmen thinks back to wonderful memories of eating empanadas, witnessing the blessing of her cousin's wedding and dancing at a restaurant.

Evaluation: I rated this book a 3. I found the illustrations to be a little misleading. It seemed as if they left out a few things that would be important to include to give the reader insight on one's culture.

Teaching Point: This book would
Amie
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In my Family/En Mi Familia is written and illustrated by one of the foremost Mexican American Painters. Carmen Lomas Garza gives us little stories on each page of her book about memories from growing up in a traditional Mexican American community, first in English then in Spanish. I enjoyed learning a lot about Mexican traditions from reading this book. Some of my favorites were Easter Eggs, Healer and The Weeping Woman. Students K-8th grade would enjoy this book, although stories like The Weepi ...more
Kari
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book features various stories of the author’s childhood and culture. It gives family stories of wedding and birthdays and stories of cultural significance like the one about the “Virgin of Guadalupe." It has both English and Spanish text, so it would be a great tool to use for English language learners or students learning Spanish. It is a multicultural/international picture book, and it received the Pura Belpre Award and the Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award. Themes inclu ...more
RLL22016Mirella Carreno
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Basically, since I'm Hispanic, I can relate to many of the scenarios the author places us in as we see her art. Each picture is like looking at a picture from a scrapbook. As she talked, I felt myself think back to my own memories with my family. I think she did a great job of relaying our culture to others. Other cultures can relate as well because, after all, we all have families of our very own.
Mayra Martinez-Rosales
It has vivid pictures and information detailing beautiful Mexican traditions. Written in both Spanish and English, it allows young readers to learn about traditions other than their own. In addition, it helps non-English-speaking parents, to follow along and bond with their child over books!
Vamos a Leer
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lomas Garza’s desire to celebrate her Mexican American identity makes this book a great resource for introducing Hispanic Heritage Month in the classroom.
Created over a span of 11 years, the paintings show scenes of colorful, lively, symbolic images specific to life in a Mexican-American family living near the U.S./Mexico borderlands. The text and pictures complement each other with reoccurring themes such as family, food, rural life, religious and healing traditions, multi-generational gatherin
Leane
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
"In My Family/En Mi Familia" is author and illustrator Carmen Lomas Garza's second book about a Mexican-American girl's experiences. It is very much like a photo album, except original artwork replaces photographs. "In My Family/En Mi Familia" is basically a series of paintings that tell Garza's story as a little girl growing up in Kingston, Texas, a town on the border of the United States and Mexico. Many of her paintings are pictures that depict Mexican cultural experiences. One of my favorite ...more
Katherine
This book is about the author's paintings/illustrations and the stories behind them in an autobiographical sense. Each page is a different memory the author remembers from ther childhood and culture. Along with the picutre, the text is inluded both in English and Spanish on the page. Her ethnicity and culture comes from the Hispnic and Latin American side. This story will grab children's attention because there many different stories ranging from family celebrations, traditions, to myths in the ...more
Maribel Galvez
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grade/interest level: Upper Elementary (3-5)
Reading level: 3.9 (Lexile 680L)
Genre: Multicultural, Picture Book

Main Characters: Carmen and her family
Setting: Kingsville, Texas
POV: Carmen

The illustrations in the book are paintings by Carmen Lomas Garza, which tell stories of her childhood growing up in Kingsville, Texas near the Mexican border. She remembers watching her brother play with horned toads in the hot sun in the middle of the day, seeing her grandfather shaving off thorns from fresh
Osamantha
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
In My Family/En Mi Familia, is an Autobiographical piece written by Carmen Lomas Garza a Mexican-American. This book is a series of short stories told both in Spanish and English. The illustrations are paintings by Garza and the text tells the story of the painting. The stories and paintings depict different aspects of her life growing up as a Mexican-American in Texas. Her stated reason for wanting to write this book was to push back against the status-quo which punished her for speaking Spanis ...more
Maddie Russell
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
In "In My Family/En mi Familia," Carmen Lomas Garza introduces her readers to Mexican culture
by sharing pieces of her childhood story. Each spread contains the text in both English and Spanish, and is set below beautiful paintings full of details that illustrate her words and bring her stories to life.

Illustrations: gouache, by Carmen Lomas Garza

As someone very interested in other languages and cultures, I really enjoyed reading "In My Family/En mi Familia," because not only did it provide a fi
Rian
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Summary: This picture book is like a family album, with paintings instead of photographs.

Response: I love Carmen Lomas Garza'a painting style - her use of color and the way she captures detail and expressions in a somewhat folk-art style are utterly beautiful. Her explanations of each painting are beautifully and simply written, highlighting cultural details that are new to me (windows) while emphasizing the warmth and love of family and the simple moments they share that we can ALL relate to (m
Nicole Godinez
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I was home schooled I was the only Latin girl in my class. I had a hard time adjusting and meeting to others in the program. My mom read this book to me and to be honest this was the first book that actually inspired me to draw and paint because of its vivid colors and the culture came alive in this book. This book also talked about the Mexican culture and community. I could relate to this book because of the culture and growing up in a traditional Mexican family. Each character reminded me ...more
Tammie
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book of the life of a young spanish girl,Carmen, growing up in Texas. The story is in English and Spanish.The book could be used read out loud to younger younger students, as a phonological tool, and to talk about language, ours, and others. It depicts the stories and celebrations of Carmen and her family. She paints family instead of phtograpghing them, but it is her family she paints. I found this a wonderfully interesting story. It is realisitc and colorful, definately can hold even young r ...more
Sharon Medina
This book is about Carmen Garza’s true life events of a traditional Mexican-American community. The stories are written in English and in Spanish to be shared. Garza shares events such as wedding, making empanadas as a family, making cascarones. Garza also shared special events such as the blessing that the mother gives before her daughter gets married and a family trip to go see the Virgin of Guadalupe that had appeared on a water tank.

Genre: Non-Fiction Literature
Suggest Age: 8 to 12 years old
J-Lynn Van Pelt
This bilingual English/Spanish book could be read as a read aloud, or the individual pictures and their descriptions could be used as stand alone resources.

The pictures and the stories come from Garza's own childhood and family stories. The illustrations border on cartoon realism with intricate background detail combined with stiff human figures.

I think this book would be most useful as an artist study--looking into Carmen Lomas Garza's art.
Leticia Resendiz
I really enjoyed this picture book. I like the way Garza painted these drawings to demonstrate her culture and the culture of many of the Latinos living in the United States. It is a really good book to use in class for a Spanish or in a class/school with a Latino population. Likewise it is good to demonstrate the Mexican American culture to other cultures. I really enjoyed what Carmen Lomas Garza had to say about each picture in the book.
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2010 rated it liked it
A book of memories that take place in Kingsville, Texas, near the border of Mexico. The pictures are in full color and the memories are personal. Carmen Lomas Garza grew up in a very traditional Mexican-American community and her books really give the reader a clear depiction of what it was like.

Activity- Each child should create a diorama of their family, and share some of their favorite memories.
Amanda Hamal
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is really great for a multicultural classroom or family. It doesn't have a typical storyline with a beginning, middle, and end, but instead has several mini true stories based on the author's childhood. They are more of memories than stories, but they share great cultural insight and are potentially very relatable for many young students. It is a bilingual book, and is written in both English and Spanish, which is also neat.
Kimberley
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that can be read in a bilingual classroom like mine without having to read the text. The illustrations explain the story all on their own and the children can quickly share out their experiences and personal connections with one another. This is a good one to read at the beginning of the school year when you want the kids to tell about themselves to get to know them a little more.
Erin Saaranen
In this true story, Carmen takes us to her hometown of Kingsville, Texas. She was raised in a Mexican-American community and shows readers the differences in values between both cultures.

This book is written in both Spanish and English. Like an earlier book that I read, it is always good to immerse students in the Spanish language. This would be good to read to students in both languages at a time so that they get a glimpse at the Spanish language.
Breana Vining
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
The author of this book, Carmen Garza, includes excerpts about her life and what it was like growing up in her hometown. I would say that this book serves as a biography and I think that this book is culturally relevant for the classroom, especially since there are so many Spanish speaking students in the classrooms today. [This book is not to be used as a read aloud.:]
Hope Johnson
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, hispanic
This is a great book for ESOL children. Since the book is both in English and Spanish, it can help Spanish speaking children out with English words having hem both on the page. It also teaches children a lot about Hispanic culture. It explains different parts of their culture in a way that is easy for children to understand.
529_Gary
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carmen Lomas Garza gives us vibrant paintings and a story to go along with them. She tells us stories of the different things that her family had done. This book is good to use for bilingual students because it has English and Spanish text on each page. It is perfect to share some aspects of the latino culture.
Lorraine Robinson
This book is great to have in the class for ELLs and children of Hispanic descent. It can be used to talk about families of other cultures. Have English and Spanish so children who are fluent in Spanish can feel proud to read something in their native language. It can also be helpful in comparing English to Spanish words.
Hannah Jefferson
This is an autobiographical book which, as others have likened it, reads like a family album. The text is in English and Spanish and will familiarize children with customs and even wildlife which is not found in many parts of the country.

This book would be useful to teach about life near the Mexican border or in a Spanish class.
Crystal
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Carmen Lomas Garza shares vignettes about her childhood and family through text and her artwork. They are glimpses into the daily life and celebrations that she grew up with and that shaped her. This would be a great mentor text for personal narrative. The text is presented in both English and Spanish and the book is a celebration of her culture.
Ragina
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, I use it in my beginning Spanish classes when introducing "family" vocabulary. Students write and illustrate their own family traditions in Spanish or English, whichever is their native tongue.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • 35 Cents
  • Other Words for Home
  • Imagine
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Those Shoes
  • Sam Saves the Night (SleepWakers, #1)

News & Interviews