Start by marking “Thirteen Days to Midnight” as Want to Read:

Thirteen Days to Midnight

You are indestructible. Three whispered words transfer an astonishing power to Jacob Fielding that changes everything. At first, Jacob is hesitant to use the power, unsure of its implications. But there's something addictive about testing the limits of fear.

Then Ophelia James, the beautiful and daring new girl in town, suggests that they use the power to do good, to save o
Published April 12th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Days to Midnight, please sign up.
Daniel Pretty good but kind of short for me. I read it in a day. If you want a longer novel that takes awile to read then this is not for you but I recommend…morePretty good but kind of short for me. I read it in a day. If you want a longer novel that takes awile to read then this is not for you but I recommend it if you want a short read.(less)
Mark Wilson I don't remember exactly, so this should probably be backed up by someone else before you take stock in this answer, but I think it was first-person.

Mario
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you could have only one superpower, what would it be?

This is how the novel started. And it grabbed my attention there, at the very first sentence. And it didn't let go until the very last.

This is a story about Jacob Fielding, a guy who finds out that he has a superpower(s): invincibility and immortality. Cool, right? Well, not so much. After some time he finds out that having a superpower isn't as cool as it seems. And that is because... wait for it...

(so cheesy, I know)

But, all jokes aside,
Catherine ♡
The premise behind this was super interesting, but the writing style was a little hard to get into, and the characters were hard to connect with. Overall, the pacing was a little slow, and I feel like I only understood tidbits of the actual story because of how detached everything seemed.
Shanan
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
In A Nutshell:
This book is not the type I normally read, but I picked it up on the recommendation of a good friend. I am so glad I read Thirteen Days To Midnight. It had action and suspense—I could not put it down. When I was done, I stared at the book and felt as though I had just stepped off a roller coaster.

Review:
“If you could have only one superpower, what would it be?” (p. 3).

This intriguing question frames this story where three words whispered between friends can change every aspect of
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I was so disappointed with this book. The whole thing seemed a little unfocused and a bit random. The whole book just dragged on from start to finish. Jacob finds out that he has a superpower and so he and his two friends, Milo and Ophelia (Oh), decide to play with it and see how far it can take them. Pretty much the whole book consisted of these teenagers harming themselves to see if they can become injured whilst they have the power. After that, they decide to try and save a couple of people b ...more
Nicole
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was ok

This book was clearly not my usual style. It started really slow. It was really boring. The writing was okay most of the time, but the characters were a disaster.

And I'll tell you why. See we have this 3 kids immature teenagers with this supernatural power. Jacob, a boy, who preferred a girl over his best friend. He only knows her like for twelve days and he's falling for her. Funny I know. And she's crazy.
I didn't like Oh (Ophelia) at all. Maybe she kinda made sense toward the end of the book,

Shawnasea
Aug 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I finished it.. but it took a lot out of me to keep going. It's just really not very good. The writing is pretty awful. The dialogue is worse, and the plot doesn't really work. Not to mention the oh-so-stellar character development that had me immediately invested in these oh-so-believable characters. blegh. Yeah, really.. THAT bad. I only kept reading because the premise was interesting and I kept telling myself, "Surely, if it's published, it needs to have SOME redeeming quality??" yeah.. ...more
H
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superpowers
This was reaaaallll dark. A wee bit creepy-ish, a wee bit chilling, but mostly dark. Thank goodness it wasn't that long or too elaborate, because I don't know how much I would be able to handle. The tension in the book was impeccable. It keeps the story perpetually moving, it keeps you compelled to want to read more. A little violent, but bearable.

When I first started the book, I didn't really know what to expect. Okay, I expected the book to be dark (come on, the cover page, the number "thirtee
Thomas
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Thirteen Days to Midnight had the potential to be a mind-blowing read, but did not deliver in terms of plot or character. It was just okay.

Jacob Fielding was an ordinary teen until one night, he and his foster father collide with a tree. His father whispers the words "You are indestructible" to Jacob before passing away. After the accident Jacob discovers he has the power of being literally indestructible - nothing can hurt him or kill him, not even a burning flame. He and his best friend Milo m
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I wasn't expecting much and I got what I expected. This was an interesting concept, a little underdeveloped. The characters were immature and predictable. I would have probably enjoyed this more if I'd have read it as a teenager.
Shay Dawn
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, rounded up.

This book has a cool premise, but misses so much.

As a child who grew up around the foster care system, this book does an abysmal job of portraying the system.

Secondly, the use of the Deus Ex Machina bit was way over done. I'm not talking about in the finale, I'm talking about all over the book. Little, little things get the Deus Ex Machina treatment. Kid is poor? Now he's got a sudden and unforeshadowed inheritance that the reader didn't know about (but MC Jacob did, and
Vicky Sang
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, when I first got the book, just by lookin at the cover, it attracts me. The book reminds me of a quote "If you try to succeed, you have to try hard" This book is about a boy trying to get rid of ghosts around him, he wants to know what is his dad up to and who is his dad, after the news came saying that his dad died, he tries his best to figure out ways to execute the ghosts that works for his dad. By the end, he made it, only because he puts time on it, he uses the hints f ...more
Rose
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
"Thirteen Days to Midnight" is a thrilling, intuitive look about how much having too much power without exploring its limitations can have dire consequences. Jacob Fielding is a fifteen year old who's in the aftermath of healing from the unexpected and tragic death of his guardian. Returning to his private school, he deals with his best friend Milo, his rival Ethan, and a new girl that completely attracts him in looks and demeanor (Orphelia, a.k.a Oh).

Things become complicated when Jacob reveals
Anne
Dec 21, 2013 rated it did not like it

Did you ever feel weird after reading a book? I mean, in a not-so-good way? Because uh.. that's what I felt after reading this book. I read in one-sitting but I just... WTF HOW DO I EXPLAIN THIS!!!!

First point: WHERE THE HELL ARE THE PARENTS? Seriously? Why are they letting their stupid children go do stupid things?

Second point: The characters. I like the main character. The best friend was pretty cool too. The girl was just plain annoying. But they all have one thing in common: they're all stu
bird
Dec 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is the story of three sixteen/fifteen year olds who discover that the MC has the power of "invincibility" and my nine year old brother has a higher maturity level then Stupid One, Stupid Two, and Stupid Three.

I didn't get this book. I didn't get it one little bit. I wanted to get it. I mean it involves Death. It sounded deliciously weird and awesome.

And it wasn't. -_-

What I got instead was a story filled with thirteen days of: parents or parent figures letting Stupid One, Stupid Two, a
~Tina~
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
...Jacob Fielding didn't want any powers, nor did he even know that his foster dad even had it. One fateful day, there was a car accident. The last thing Jacob's dad said to him was You are indestructible before the car hit the tree and he died...and Jacob lived.
If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Jacob Fielding sure as hell wouldn't have picked this one...

Thirteen Days to Midnight is a fascinating, thought provoking story, that i
Tammie
Apr 25, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The following tag line is what drew me to this book:

Thirteen Days to Midnight was rather thought provoking, definitely a far cry from Patrick Carman’s Land of Elyon series. It had elements of Unbreakable and Final Destination.

At first Jacob doesn’t really want to use this new power he’s been given, but eventually Ophelia (Oh for short), the new girl in town, whom he
Jazzy
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ending was a bit confusing but other than that a really really good book! (:
Avery
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response: Thirteen Days To Midnight, by Patrick Carman, is a book describing how something can feel so wonderful, yet somehow it is not. The unknown explanation of certain events is what makes the reader want to learn more. My favorite part about this book is how the characters do not realize some events sooner. It makes the later impact more meaningful.

Plot Summary: Jacob is a sixteen year old boy who grows up living from one foster home to another. On Jacob’s last day at his current
Andrew Mosbaugh
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meow
thirteen days to midnight is a book about a boy who is 15 years old his name is Jacob fielding when he was 14 he was in foster care and he though that he was to old t ever be adopted but he was by his foster dad and his new dad is keeping a secret he has a gem of curse or what ever you like to call it were you are indestructible when he and his new dad are driving down the road and the lose control he dad says the words you are indestructible to Jacob and he cannot be harmed when his dad dies he ...more
Eric Kneisler
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
By Patrick Carman
Genre: Science Fiction/fantasy

I liked reading this book. It has an interesting story line. There were funny things, sad things, and scary things that happened. It had a lot of adventure and suspense, too.

Setting: Salem, Oregon, a Catholic high school, Coffin Books library (Milo's dad's store) The setting of the rainy streets of Salem made the story more creepy and made characters seem more remote and alone.

Characters:
Jacob Fielding - foster child, na
Dayla
This review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

Thirteen Days to Midnight, by Patrick Carman is a young adult novel that follows orphan Jacob Fielding after his guardian's death and the legacy that is left for him. The premise of this novel is what drew me in since I was curious to see what Jacob experiences and his apparent connection with death. While Carman introduces his character in a pretty neat way, his story wasn't what I was anticipating.

"You are indestructible. Three whispered
Dalila
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do you like books that involved people who have superpowers in it and have to make hard choices? Well if you do this is the book for you. This book is fiction.

This book is about a kid named Jacob Fielding He thinks he's somewhat different then others. He realizes he has gotten a curse from his father after they get into a terrible car crash.His father dies but Jacob lives somehow because he has to power to live through out anything that can hurt him. Jacob goes to this Holy cross school to live
Aju
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Aju by: found it in the libary

If preternatural capability were not the field of science-fiction,what would you want your ability to be? Here is the catch you only can have one power.Jacob Fielding is your typical guy but he has a revolutionary power that got transferred to him.You are indestructible, that was the last word Jacob's father said to him but what Jacob didn't know at the time is the that same phrase would turn his world upside down.

Jacob's friend Milo has a friendship with Ophelia James AKA Oh a new arrival t
Cara
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen Days to Midnight is, in one word, incredible.

The story opens with our protag., Jacob, returning to his private school, Holy Cross, after a week long break due to a traumatic event. A few pages after this scene I realized that my eyes were glued to the novel and weren't, not even for sleep, going anywhere. Carman's characters draw you in and the intensity of the plot keeps you there.

The adventure Jacob, Milo, & Oh find themselves 'dragged' into is dangerous in the way that motorcycl
Katie
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ryan Zani
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Plot: Jacobs father who adopted him at age 12 just died in a car crash with Jacob driving right before the crash Jacobs father tells Jacob these words "You are indestructible". Jacobs best friend Milo introduces him to a girl her name is Ophelia. They call her Oh and it is love at first sight Oh asks Jacob to sign her cast and Jacob signs "you are indestructible" and Oh gets into a long boarding accident that should have killed her but she got up without a scratch on her and they set off to find ...more
Alexis Villalobos
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thirteen Days to Midnight is a book filled with action, suspense, love, supernatural powers,etc. I really love how he starts off with an simple question:"If you could have one super power, what would it be?" After that little question, he runs with it. The book starts with Jacob who is returning to Holy Cross. His friend,Milo,is trying to get Jacob in the swing of things.once Milo tells Jacob about the new girl in town, he is hooked. He meets Ophelia James, a daring and beautiful girl. It first ...more
Danny
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have just recently finished the book Thirteen Days To Midnight, and I must say it kept we awake all night even though I did not have to do so. It is a book you read through the eyes of a teenage boy who has a hidden secret. I connected well to the book and I believe that many other people will be able to do so as well. The main Characters name is Jacob, and he has spent most of his time moving from foster house to foster house, until he met Mr. Fielding. He settled down with him and met Milo, ...more
Alex Entz
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
by: Patrick Carman
Review by Alex Entz
In the book Thirteen Days to Midnight by Patrick Carman, Jacob Fielding, the main character, is a foster child who travels from home to home. Once he enters high school he is officially taken into care from a man named Mr. Fielding who is like a father to him, though they never got to spend enough time together to truly bond. One year after Jacobs adoption when Jacob and Mr. Fielding were on another one of their annual road trips
Hafsah Faizal
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
"You are indestructible." Those are the last words Mr. Fielding says to his adopted son, Jacob, before they crash into a tree doing sixty. Mr. Fielding dies, and miraculously, Jacob leaves the scene without a scratch. A few weeks later, Jacob returns to Holy Cross, the decaying Catholic school he attends, where his best friend Milo greets him by saying there's a new girl in town. There are hardly ever any new enrollments at Holy Cross, just students leaving for the new South Ridge High, so this ...more

• God Is in the Pancakes
  • I Wanna Be Your Shoebox
  • Frannie in Pieces
  • The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin
  • Seth Baumgartner's Love Manifesto
  • The Big Game of Everything
  • 13
  • Lola: A Ghost Story
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
  • Beanball
  • Brutal
  • Everything Is Fine.
  • Strings Attached
  • The Things a Brother Knows
  • The Unnameables
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Ten Things I Hate About Me
  • The Light (Morpheus Road, #1)
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P
“Faith never stays put. It's always challenging always questioning. That's what makes it real.” 29 likes
“The Grim Reaper doesn't disappear... he catches up.” 18 likes