Start by marking “The Mane Event (Pride, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mane Event (Pride, #1)

The Mane Event

(Pride #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  21,848 ratings  ·  1,079 reviews
Mace Llewellyn. Brendon Shaw. Two tall, gorgeous, sexy alpha heroes who are 100% malewith a little something extra. Lion-shifters, to be exact, who can unleash every woman's animal side and still look goodmake that spectacularin a suit. . .and even better out of it. . .

NYPD cop Desiree "Dez" MacDermot knows she's changed a lot since she palled around with her childhood
Published October 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published September 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mane Event, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mane Event

·  21,848 ratings  ·  1,079 reviews

Start your review of The Mane Event (Pride, #1)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Roaring Stars

*Spoilers*

photo maine event_zps7ycef7tl.gif

The Mane Event is two stories in one so I will do two mini reviews, one for each story.

photo macedez_zpsq9c4qg0i.jpg

So, hoss. Have you actually told her youre in love with her? She wont let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs. And youre not concerned about that? There werent that many steps.

Christmas Pride is Mace and Dez's story. Mace Llewellyn is a Lion Shifter and a Navy Seal. Desiree "Dez" MacDermot is human Cop. Mace and Dez were best friends when they
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Note to self: stop doing this to yourself. RIGHT. NOW.

Why did I read this book? Because:

a) I am a masochist
b) I am a complete idiot
c) My last two grey cells got fried while reading Mermen
d) I am an unredeemable twit
e) My synapses are on permanent strike
f) I have finally lost it
g) I love reading (view spoiler) Pieces of Crap (PoC™)
h) My dear friends use recommendations as a means of inflicting death by Crappy Book on me.
i) All of the above

Hint: the correct answer starts
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
The first story was good but got a bit long winded in the internalization. Dez was a strong heroine but at times it came off bitchy. Mace was a sexy lion that was all about his Dez. Aside from those minor issues, I found the story fun, funny, and sensual. The plot was ok and the writing was witty and flowed well. The second story was better, though I would like to understand how they were going to figure out the whole breeding thing. Ronnie was hilarious. Shaw was determined and focused on his ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm giving this book 3 stars but it is barely 3 stars. I wanted to like this book more than I actually did, I think. Many of my friends rave about this book and I love a good shifter story, but this one felt a little stale to me.

I think part of my issue is that I read a LOT of paranormals. I love a great paranormal romance. However, here I felt like the plot took a backseat to the sex and I wanted more... excitement, energy, something. I found this book to be a bit boring, which was
Jilly
This book has two stories in it and I only read the first one. It had its moments of funny, but there was nothing compelling about the world in general to keep me reading.

So, DNF at 50% because meh...

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
4 stars for Christmas Pride and a another four for Shaw's Tail !

This book?

HILARIOUS ! Will defiantly need a while to get over this read.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND for all PR fans who love their read,fun-fluffy with great secondary characters and a spoonfuls of melting hot animal sex ;)

Perfect read for the holidays right around the corner :)
Blacky *Romance Addict*

4 stars for first story
3 stars for second story

Settled on 4 overall because I loved the humor! Awesome!
Al George
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-paranormal
I am Laurenston Obsessed

Like Cartman playing Warcraft, I cannot stop.

cartman_warcraft

Seriously. Like this is now my super secret obsession and I know my friend who shares my audible account is watching me Whispersync these books and is thinking, that girl is CRAY. I am! Full on, get me on some meds, obsessed with this series.

Setting / Time / Genre: Current, NY

Length: 450 some pages

Series: Good lord, yes!

Sexy times: Fan yourselves. Although these are more funny sexy times than super seductive sexy times.
Ren Puspita
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shelly Laurenston fans, people who love humor in the story, shapeshifter fans
I love Shelly Laurenston's book :)

Her first series "Magnus Pack" get me hooked to her books, and I decided to read her "Pride" series after I finish Magnus Pack.Even the world setting in Pride and Magnus Pack series are the same, no need to read Magnus Pack first :)

The Mane Event have 2 stories, Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail. Here the story :

Christmas Pride

The story is about Mason "Mace" Llewellyn, who just end his military career at NAVY. He met his childhood friend, Desiree "Dez" MacDermot,
Madbabs
Apr 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I know I see other people's reviews all the time saying they expected to like a book based on its reviews, then were horribly disappointed. But honestly, that hardly ever happens to me. I can usually get a pretty good idea before I pick a book up. But this one? Wow. I wasn't just thinking "oh maybe I'll check it out and see". I thought I'd really enjoy it. So very wrong. The writing is pure formula - including the supposedly hot sex. Internal dialog of the main characters are absurdly ...more
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐ 3.5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
Part 1:
Mace Llewellyn: this sexy motherfucking alpha lion like goddamnnnnn

She wont let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.
And youre not concerned about that?
There werent that many steps.

description

He still remembers his childhood partner in crime Dez

The two of them together had always been trouble. The nuns always separating them in class, giving them detention, calling them evil incarnate and condemning them to the fiery
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read: March 2014
Buddy read with Jo

1st Read: November 2012
SL writes the best books that have humor! I swear she is amazing! I don.t even get annoyed by the swearing(as i usually am with other stories). This woman is a goddess!

Buddy read with Maru

quotes:

She wont let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.

And youre not concerned about that?

There werent that many steps.
..........
Brendon Shaw, you do not know how to
♡Karlyn P♡
A sexy LOL kind of crazy PNR read with horny shape shifters and thin plots. But what a fun escape-from-reality book it was!
Nadia
This may be the most vulgar review I've ever written.

Sometimes I can be very slow in catching up with things. In Bosnian we have an expression for people like that: water heater. Cuz you know, it takes a while for the water to heats.
Anyway, I read the blurb for The Mane Event, I got the book, I started reading it, all the while thinking it's only one book, about Mace and Dez. And then somewhere around the middle, all of a sudden, there's again Chapter 1 , new characters and I'm like wtf
valee
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 1
4 Stars

Wow, I still can't believe how good this book was, not paranormal romance but more erotica, but still I really liked it because the paranormal aspect was incredibly well developed. This story had an amazing plot and a great enemy, which I never realized who it was until the end. We get to know some amazing characters with great personalities, so be ready because once you read the first book you WILL need to read the rest.

In this story we get to read about Desiree MacDermot and Mace
Mariana
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I wish shifters existed. I really really want a were-lion for myself.

Mace & Dez
description

Didnt she know? Yes to dinner today. Yes to marriage tomorrow. Dammit, he had a schedule to keep.

Brendon & Ronnie
description

Oh, look. The idiot of the jungle awakens.

Jealousy over some big, dumb bear flew out the window as he stared at Ronnie. Youyou were banned from Norway? The country?
*The Angry Reader*
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pr-uf, 2018
Sassy, class and totally bad-assy. I loved this dang book. Rhonda Lee, a commitment-phobe She-Wolf from the dirty south, meets gorgeous Brendon Shaw - Lion rich boy.

It was a little sex-heavy. But otherwise total perfection. No slut-shaming. No virgins. No dewy-Eyed ingenues. And I got to meet the characters sprinkled throughout the wonderful badger book. Loving me some Shelly Laurenston.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
This has two novellas in it:

Christmas Pride - 5 Stars

I loved this both characters made me laugh out loud, and it made a pleasent change for the male to be crazy in love with the female first. As with all her books, this has Shelly Laurenston's psychotic and slightly violent sense of humour, which I love. There were also plenty of hot scenes that makes you wih you could get a hot Lion shifter of your own! : D

Shaw's Tail - 5 Stars

Another great story, I love watching an alpha male go all crazy
Leila
3-3.5 roaring stars

The Mane Event is two novellas that introduce us to the animal shifter world that SL has created with lions, wolves, hyenas, cheetahs, bears and many more from the animal kingdom.

I never thought that Id use the words humorous and paranormal romance together in the same sentence, but here I am, doing just that! Both these novellas were hilarious, light hearted and sexy. If you are expecting the drama of Nalini Singhs Psy-Changeling Series then you can just move right along.

I
Sandra
Christmas Pride - 2.5 stars The reason I chose to read this was because I had just finished Go Fetch!, Book 2 in the Magnus Pack series that takes place in the same world, and I wanted to keep going but felt like mixing it up. Reading them back to back I noticed a trend in Ms. Laurenston's writing. The first third of the book is set up, character development, a lot of fun banter and sexual tension. Good stuff. The last two thirds (minus a chapter or two)... are sex. Sex on the bed. Sex on the ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Two stories in one. You'll like The Mane Event if you don't take anything seriously and you don't expect too much. Well, unless you expect lots of sex or characters who can't control themselves around the person they're interested in. Then, you won't be disappointed. And considering how everyone behaves here, I got exactly what I expected. Nothing more, nothing less, so you could say I wasn't disappointed.

As with the first story I've read from this series (Like a Wolf With a Bone
Vered
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, funny-pnr, epnr
3 good stars, not the I dont know how to rate it 3 stars. Because it was a fun book. Funny, sexy fluff with lots and lots of fun sex and lovable characters. Books of this genre are in danger of trying too much. Consequently lose the genuineness that is so important in order to enjoy the book without it giving you heartburn. To me, Shelly Laurenston found the right amount and I was left feeling quite delighted.

Tessa
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, paranormal
Alright, I have this as a box set. I just hate using box sets in GR unless it's a serial.

I've been wanting to read this for a while. It's one that keeps being mentioned with other PNR books I like. I'm glad I got it. Very old school feel and was a bunch of fun love. Mase is an utter brat. :) Dez is a good, strong heroine. Honestly, it was cute and fun, exactly what I was hoping for.

Only complaint is the "mystery". *sighs* It just wasn't done well. I knew who did it as soon as the person was
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
BD with Aly is so frigging bored

This book is actually the first two stories in the Pride series.

Christmas Pride... 3,5 stars

Mason "Mace" Llewellyn, a former Navy Seal and a lion shifter, is determined to win Desiree "Dez" MacDermot, a former Marine and a New York police officer, now that he is back to New York and he isn't prepared to take no for an answer.

Shaw's Tail... 5 stars

Brendon Shaw, rich lion shifter, takes one look on Rhonda Lee "Ronnie" Reed, wolf shifter from backwoods Tenessee and
Shannon C.
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just now rereading the Laurenston books and had forgotten how fantastic this series is. This book is two novellas in one book, and it's very good. I haven't stopped laughing--especially during the second story (Brendon & Ronnie). The first book in Pride Stories, I like this series better than her earlier Magnus Pack books--mainly because I like the female leads better. Laurenston does a great job depicting shapeshifter life and pack structures, as well as with character development. Her ...more
Anita
How did I not realize that this author is FANTASTIC?! I'm on the PNR discussion group all the time - why doesn't anyone rave about Shelly Laurenston? If you love paranormal romance, this one should be moved to the top of your to-read pile. The writing is funny and sexy, the stories interesting, and the characters so well written, you will fall in love with them and want to be their friends. I can't believe how many times I laughed out loud reading this book - and yet the sex scenes were still ...more
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review
Summary
In The Mane Event we have two stories: Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail. Both are delicious stories. In Christmas Pride it begins with Dez McDermott, a NYPD cop, meets up with a old childhood friend when she investigates a murder. Mace Llewellyn, fell in love with Dez when they were fourteen years old, but then she and her family left for the big city and he never saw her until now. Mace is determined to not let Dez go again.
Re-read 9/25/2017: Touching up my old review made me want to go back and re-read! Now I'm back in one of my favorite paranormal series and giving myself time to focus on reviewing the pile of books I've been reading lately. This was a fun trip down memory lane :)

***

THE MANE EVENT is the first novel in the Pride series, a beloved series I often go back to when I want something familiar or sure to put me in a good mood. Laurenstons books are funny and sexy, and theyre a favorite re-read. THE MANE
Leona
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Christmas Pride
When I first read this story I didnt too much care for Mace, I was actually more interested in his best friend Smitty if Im going to be totally honest. This go around, though, it was the way he fought for Dez (heroine) that made an impact on me and made me appreciate his character more than I did before.

The main thing Ive always loved about Shelly Laurenstons stories was her unique brand of comedy. Laurenston does an excellent job of making every story she writes funny, but what
Page Turners Book...: 1st Week Schedule 1 3 Mar 01, 2020 12:49PM
WEEK 1 SCHEDULE 1 2 Mar 01, 2020 12:30PM
The Challenge Fac...: Krissy, Elena & Beth - The Mane Event 23 8 Apr 23, 2018 08:18AM
Laurenston 26 102 Oct 27, 2014 12:29PM
Who's Your Author?: April BOM: The Mane Event 11 35 Apr 07, 2014 06:31PM

• Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1)
  • What a Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3)
  • Light My Fire (Dragon Kin, #7)
  • About a Dragon (Dragon Kin, #2)
  • Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)
  • Feel the Burn (Dragon Kin, #8)
  • How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (Dragon Kin, #6)
  • Last Dragon Standing (Dragon Kin, #4)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • The Dragon Who Loved Me (Dragon Kin, #5)
  • Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)
  • Sun, Sand, Sex (includes: The Long Island Coven, #1)
  • When an Omega Snaps (A Lion's Pride, #3)
  • Dragon on Top (Dragon Kin, #0.4)
  • Indirect Lines (Halle Shifters, #5)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Bring the Heat (Dragon Kin, #9)
  • Fury (New Species, #1)
Originally from Long Island, New York, Shelly Laurenston has resigned herself to West Coast living which involves healthy food, mostly sunny days, and lots of guys not wearing shirts when they really should be. Shelly Laurenston is also The New York Times Bestselling author G.A. Aiken, creator of the Dragon Kin series. For more info on G.A. Aiken's dangerously and arrogantly sexy dragons, check ...more

Pride (9 books)
  • The Beast in Him (Pride, #2)
  • The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3)
  • The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)
  • Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5)
  • Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)
  • Bear Meets Girl (Pride, #7)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
  • Bite Me (Pride, #9)