Start by marking “All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned in Loehmann's Dressing Room” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
All I Know About Anima...

Erma Bombeck

All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned in Loehmann's Dressing Room

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,254 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Erma has discovered that the odd habits of the animal kingdom are strikingly similar to our own, and she reports her downright hilarious findings in All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned in Loehmann's Dressing Room. Erma shows how close animals in the wild and humans really are, and how much we can learn from one another. The hippopotamus is a vegetarian and looks lik ...more
Published February 28th 1998 by Diane Pub Co (first published 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned in Loehmann's Dressing Room

Betsy
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers of adult children, not the adult children themselves
Shelves: read-in-2009
I've always heard Erma Bombeck was a very funny lady, but as this was the first book of hers I've read, I was unimpressed. I've always enjoyed the books of David Sedaris and recently I've been reading Augusten Burroughs. Perhaps it was a poor decision on my part to read an Erma Bombeck book in between two by Augusten Burroughs.

Where Erma lays a funny line on you and then skips off to the next one-liner, Sedaris and Burroughs lay a funny line on you and then take a paragraph, page, or entire cha
JSC Shootaboot
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
THIS AUTHOR WILL HELP YOU MAKE IT THRU DEPRESSED MODES
She is one of my favorite authors

I especially liked the healthcare jokes
Ex. A rule of thumb with medicine is...if it smells good, tastes so, and is covered by your insurance - it won't ever help you recover :) p35

or the length of time you wait to be treated by a doctor....(for me it's usually 20 min's to an hour) When you do see him - you're examined in 23 seconds..She said she "had longer visits at a toll station" on the freeway

or "alternati
Ruth
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just read Lisa Scottoline's newest humor book made me think back to the books that I have read by Erma Bombeck. I found that the library had this one so I decided to give it a try. Her chapters compare things that humans do with the actions of animals. It brought a smile to my face as I enjoyed her outlook on things. Of course, some of the items were a little dated. For instance, she discussed when she and her husband purchased an answering machine which is now integrated right into to ba ...more
Rachel
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This book was quite funny. Her essays on alternative medicine, survival, and attitude are particularly funny. I especially liked her rules of the jungle:

*Never eat anyone larger than you.
*If you're not a tree climber, don't climb trees.
*Know your territory. If the urine isn't yours, you're not home.
*There is a time to fight and a time to run. Know the difference.
I*f a human attorney puts a sign on a hut that reads "Animal Law A Specialty," eat him.
Mary
Erma Bombeck is ALWAYS funny. This book was published in the 90's and I just got around to reading it. It was entertaining and had it's "ha ha" moments but I've read better from Erma.
Donna Dalziel
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I think the world lost a fun, fun author when Erma Bombeck passed away.
She was funny, insightful and right on.
Beth
Erma Bombeck has been my #1 author for a huge part of my life. Her books are my calorie-free comfort food. I've always wished that I could write even a little bit like her.
Melissa
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good funny read for lunch hour
Connie N.
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erma Bombeck looks at the funny and charming side of life and encourages readers to laugh at themselves. Ironically, this book is set up in a format similar to a non-fiction book I just read about animals and their comparisons to humans. Bombeck does the same thing but in a very humorous way. She compares animals storing food to women saving clothes with shoulder pads. She notices that animals fitted with transmitters by scientists is similar to people with portable phones, pagers, and fax machi ...more
Ellen
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this funny, quick-to-read book Bombeck compares the human animal to those of the true animal species. The similarities between an aging dog's bladder and that of a post-menopausal woman are right on the mark. Bottle-nosed dolphins that were trapped in ice for a short time near New Jersey lost their sense of direction and swam south instead of north; too proud to ask for directions guys? A wildebeest will stop at nothing to get where he wants to go - swim through rivers infested with crocodile ...more
Deb Wilson
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't review a lot of the books I read, but Bombeck's writing is fun, easy to read, and laughs at the everyday things in life. I dust read one of her books as a young teen. I couldn't remember why, but I did remember I enjoyed it. I still enjoy her writing and this book anyway manages to not sound too dated. Teenagers still being home clunker first cars, women go crazy for a good sale and men still seem like a foreign species sometimes. And above all, we aren't so far removed in behavior from ...more
Jan
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, humor, own-copy
This lady was a favorite of mine for so many years. She brought humor into the drab dull world of moms everywhere which is so important when you're surrounded by rugrats and don't get to speak or think words of three syllables for hours at a time, let alone say them to someone over 4' tall. My favorite, naturally, was "Motherhood...the Second Oldest Profession" but this one is worth reading just for kicks and giggles.
Mayda
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, audio
You can either laugh or cry at the problems life throws your way, but if you look at life through Erma Bombeck’s eyes, you can’t help but laugh. Everyday life never seems as funny as when Erma examines it. In this novel offering, her comparison of human behavior to that found in the animal kingdom leaves me wondering who really is having more fun. But since animals can’t enjoy these Bombeck vignettes, I’d have to say humans are ahead of the game. But barely.
Susan
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, essays, humorous
Read this on recommendation. Completed about one-third of it. Not as humorous as I expected, but very easy reading. This is what I would call broad humor. I think my tastes run more to dry humor, like the David Lodge trilogy I read recently. There are some funny bits, though, like the ones on weight-loss/gain/body-image. I suspect this would work better as humor if one listened to it as an audiobook.
Natalie
I enjoyed seeing from her viewpoint the similarities between us and the animal kingdom. I do believe that chapter 25 was my favorite in this book. I cannot compare this one to her other books as this is the first one I have read. Short chapters make this an easy read and it is easy to pick back up after putting it down. I did laundry, read a couple chapters, hung the clothes out and picked the book back up. I kept up that cycle for awhile and it made the whole process go by a bit faster.
Stephy
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephy by: used bookstore shelf for 25 cents, you can't go wrong
Erma Bombeck is not the great American novelist. What she is, is a wonderfully witty observer of everyday life, with a rich sense of humor. I can always count on her to present me with a new perspective on almost anything. "All I know About Animal Behavior I learned in Loehmann's Dressing Room." is every bit as silly as another of her books, "The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank." Lots of social commentary, lots of humor. I liked it.
Allison
I picked this book up in response to my mom's nagging "Can't you read something mindless and not so depressing??' Well, I am glad I listened to her for once. It's an easy read. Funny in a laugh-out-loud kinda way. I even read some parts aloud to my boyfriend and he laughed. I would suggest someone read this book when they have a lot of stress going on and need to LOL.
Abigail
Erma Bombeck is a hoot and this book is no exception: full of her original pithiness and sarcasm, most of it self deprecating.

But I have to say that I'm in the wrong age group to fully appreciate this particular Bombeck book, and I'm not sure I even want to.

Menopause. Adult diapers. Losing your car in the mall parking lot.

No thanks.
Lori
Aug 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although her humor is timeless, the scenarios are dated. E.g., my girls can't relate to the Loehman's Dressing Room, even with a current example of their own in the Jessica McClintock outlet store. But a nice, essay per chapter, go-to-sleep with a chuckle read for a certain age-set. (From my mother's collection.)
Nancy
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, animals, people
I bought this book in cassette form at the Rockford Public Library sale. I used to read Erma Bombeck's column. I enjoy Erma's humor. Erma compared animal behavior to human behavior in this book. The book is three cassettes long, so it went quickly. It was enjoyable.
Chanda
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. I'm a big fan of Erma Bombeck's; there's always something to laugh out loud about. This wasn't my favorite of hers; by far not the most humorous, but a quick and enjoyable read to change it up a little.
Beth Laug
Sep 14, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked this author. She is funny and pokes fun at everyday life without being sarcastic or mean. I wish she had lived longer than she did. I believe she died of cancer several years back.
Dayna Smith
If you aren't familiar with Bombeck's humorous essays this is a great first look at her work. Bombeck compares humans to the animal kingdom and pokes fun at nutrition, talk shows, sex, parenting, teenage drivers, and much more. A little dated, but still laugh out loud funny.
Amy
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was pretty good. I read it aloud to my husband and he wasn't really happy with it. There are some funny parts but not as funny as some of her other books. However, ya gotta just love Erma in general. Feels almost sacrilegious to give an "okay" review on one of her books!
K.J. Jacobs
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Erma Bombeck. She was a terrific lady. It is so sad that she is no longer with us.
Martha
Not her best but still funny. I enjoyed reading this more than the other more housewife-ish books she wrote.
Trish
Jul 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, audio, 2012
I guess this book was suppose to be funny. It was not.
Cheryl Alsippi
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I read this book and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Her comparisons between human and animal behavior are accurate and hilarious! Her humor is timeless.
Veronica
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoyed Erma's humor...quick, enjoyable read!
Carey
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to give any Bombeck book a 3 star. This one just wasn't one of my favorites of hers.
  • Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up
  • Please Don't Eat the Daisies
  • 101 Salivations: For the Love of Dogs
  • Babyhood
  • Real Ponies Don't Go Oink!
  • Ranting Again
  • Yoda: The Story of a Cat and His Kittens
  • Fatherhood
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
Erma Louise Bombeck, born Erma Fiste, was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for a newspaper column that depicted suburban home life humorously, in the second half of the 20th century.

For 31 years since 1965, Erma Bombeck published 4,000 newspaper articles. Already in the 1970s, her witty columns were read, twice weekly, by thirty million readers of 900 newspapers of USA and Canada
More about Erma Bombeck...