Start by marking “Easter 1916 and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Easter 1916 and Other Poems

Easter 1916 and Other Poems

"A terrible beauty is born," observed the greatest modern Irish poet after his country's 1916 Easter Rebellion against the British. This streak of proud nationalism, interwoven with elements of Celtic lore and mysticism, and infused with a hard-earned wisdom, makes Yeats's works resonate to this day. His career spanned five decades, earning him the Nobel Prize in Literatur ...more
Paperback, Thrift Edition, 68 pages
Published July 11th 1997 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Easter 1916 and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easter 1916 and Other Poems

Claudia
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous writer. Fabulous poet. A man after my own heart. Whose poetry I love and it's so utterly beautiful. It's the Irish plight in immortal words. A terrible beauty is born. Indeed.
Sinta
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Read for my audit of Modern Poetry (English 222).

I read through some poems last Monday before class, and Isabel read me a few over the weekend. The Balloon of the Mind has stuck in my mind due to its connection with my obsession with how our ideology and mind is shaped and confined by our environment.

The political poetry was a standout, and I'd love to read it a bit more closely over summer (as well as some of his other work). I want to dig into the Irish Revolution.
Kathy Duncan
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Her Praise

"...I will talk no more of book or the long war
But walk by the dry thorn until I have found
Some beggar sheltering from the wind, and there
Manage the talk until her name com round.
If there be rags enough he will know her name
And be well pleased remembering it, for in the old days,
Though she had young men's praise and old men's blame,
Among the poor both old and young gave her praise."
Malvina
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional moving volume, particularly with the poem of the title and its last devastating line: A terrible beauty is born. Other wonderful poems included are The Wild Swans at Coole and An Irish Airman Forsees His Death. A poem not in this anthology which I also love is He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven. An amazing poet.
Mumtaza Iswanda
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
It captures and delivers the nuance of 20th century socio-cultural dynamic to us perfectly
Caitlin Conlon
3.5 stars. Yeats' words are transcendent in that even now in 2017, so long after he first wrote them, I can find relevance and meaning as it applies to my own life. truly miraculous.
Jad Hafez Wannous
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
All changed, changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

Very conversational, colloquial, subjective and personal poem.
Andrew
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
None but Yeats. Yeats' preoccupation with becoming older and losing that spirit of youth is speaking to me. I seem to have lost my fire and don't know where I've put it. "...Oh heart / The living beauty is for younger men, / We cannot pay it's tribute of wild tears." Maybe it's just burning a little lower. Yeats' poetry reflects and enriches my understanding not only of Irish culture and the issues of class in early 20th-century Ireland (Irish boys going to war for Britain, a nation that has ens ...more
Carol Bakker
Some of the poems penetrated my emotions; others I found impenetrable. Yeats comes back to the themes of death, loss, growing old, beauty, nature and sacrifice with the luscious language that seems to be the birthright of the Irish. Yeats' poems are full of allusions, the kind of treasure hunt I love. I was surprised to find the source of other literary works: Things fall apart / Slouching to Bethlehem.

My two favorite poems--

"In Memory of Major Robert Gregory", which is a poem about friendship.
"
Ali
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it
A small but kindred collection from Yeats..."A Prayer for my Daughter" was particularly moving as any parent or uncle, aunt or friend might identify with having "walked and prayed for this young child an hour..." in times of sickness. His comments on the long war were simple but deeply felt-"Now and in time be, wherever green is worn, Are changed, changed utterly, A terrible beauty is born" (from Easter 1916). I think I'll read him again.
Anie
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Yeats. He's a master of image and of carefully selected, powerful words. Of course I had a good time reading this.
Risa
Jun 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Easter 1916 and Other Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) by William Butler Yeats (1997)
Mary Tuley
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Serious poetry fans.
How has Ireland managed to produce so MANY major poets?
Angie
  • Ghost Girl
  • The Word Exchange: Anglo-Saxon Poems in Translation
  • Shamrock Tea
  • Singularities
William Butler Yeats (pronounced /ˈjeɪts/) was an Irish poet and dramatist, and one of the foremost figures of 20th century literature. A pillar of both the Irish and British literary establishments, in his later years Yeats served as an Irish Senator for two terms. He was a driving force behind the Irish Literary Revival, and along with Lady Gregory and Edward Martyn founded the Abbey Theatre, se ...more
“Too long a sacrifice
Can make a stone of the heart.
Oh, when may it suffice?”
33 likes
“All changed, changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.”
12 likes