Start by marking “The Longest Day: Celebrating the Summer Solstice” as Want to Read:
The Longest Day: Celebrating the Summer Solstice

The Longest Day: Celebrating the Summer Solstice (Seasons)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In this fourth and final book in the series about seasons, Wendy Pfeffer turns her attention to summer, when butterflies emerge from silky cocoons and daylight hours stretch longer and longer. With lyrical prose and vibrant illustrations, The Longest Day takes us on a journey through the history and science behind the summer solstice, with a focus on summer celebrations fr ...more
Published May 13th 2010 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Longest Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Longest Day

Margaux
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a few friends who celebrate Solstice annually, and was told that if I wanted to know more about it I should read this book. That's saying a lot, coming from a librarian.

It goes through the entire history of what various civilizations used to do on the Summer Solstice, including the Greeks, Stonehenge, Plains Indians, Lithuanians (they set a wheel on fire and roll it down a hill... wonder why we don't do that in the U.S.?), and many others. All around, a very informative book. I'm glad I w
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and the series is belongs with (the Winter solstice and the spring & Fall equinox). The illustrations are beautiful and it does a wonderful job simply explaining the science behind the solstice. I also really enjoy the fact that it tells kids about how other countries and religious beliefs celebrate the summer solstice- both in ancient times and modern day. I really love this series and think that eventually I will purchase the set :-)
Kate
the perfect gift for the pagan family in your life.
Kathleen
I am always on the look-out for children's books that would be useful for Pagan parents. Usually, the books I find fit into one of two camps: either they'd be useful for polytheists who want to teach children about Paganism through the lens of the gods, or they're general science books that could be repurposed to teach kids reverence for nature. Rarely do I find books that would be useful for naturalist/humanist/UU pagans (which is really more my wheelhouse). And so I am so excited to have found ...more
Bart Everson
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddie, aloud
A wonderful book for young children with bright appealing pictures. It explains what the summer solstice is, both in terms of planetary mechanics and its significance in human culture, from ancient times to the present. I like the global scope (thought it is written from a northern hemisphere perspective — June is mentioned, not December). There are four craft projects at the end. This book is very similar to The Summer Solstice by Ellen Jackson. Wendy Pfeffer also has books about the other sols ...more
Earl
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Once I found out Wendy Pfeffer wrote nonfiction picture books for all seasons, I was eager to check them out. I really enjoyed We Gather Together and The Shortest Day. As with those two, A New Beginning and The Longest Day- in turn- provided some background about the spring equinox and summer solstice respectively as well as some cultural celebrations. Activities are included in the back of the books.
Peacegal
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a fairly interesting book about a day of the year that most people barely notice, but in ancient times held great significance. World customs from a variety of cultures are profiled, and there’s a crafts section at the conclusion.
Olson Family Matters
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-k-summer
Too long for a 3-year old. Informative though!
Captmashpea
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book good for kids explaining the changing of the seasons - and its history
Stephen
Pinky
Dec 17, 2013
Jessica Lauber
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The illustrations are colorful and detailed. Good word choice. Figurative language. I enjoyed learning about the ancient beliefs of the sun's existence and the current celebrations. Lots of interesting facts. Great addition to the classroom library.
Trey Veazey
Morgan
Oct 10, 2014
Hero
Nov 16, 2014
Wendy Pfeffer is an award winning author of many children’s books. A former teacher and nursery school director, Mrs. Pfeffer lives in Pennington, New Jersey. In addition to writing, she continues to teach writing and visit schools to share her work.
More about Wendy Pfeffer...

Seasons (4 books)