Start by marking “The Deceivers” as Want to Read:
The Deceivers

The Deceivers

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  400 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The hero is Rogue Winter, King of Maori Commandos. His lover is the beautiful Demi Jeroux, who has been kidnapped by the villainous, demonic Manchu Duke of Death. Rogue must search through the entire solar system to find the missing Demi, from the Paradise of Carnal Pleasures to the bloody torture chambers of Triton. It is in Triton's subterranean chambers that the key to ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by iBooks (first published October 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Deceivers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deceivers

Claudia
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, deep-thoughts
I don’t know what I just read. Really. Not for sure, anyway. I don’t know if it’s just gibberish or truly genius. But I do know that I liked it a lot, even though I know for certain it has more meanings than I got, because I’m not familiar with all those references to modern history/people from so many countries. This is the kind of story that you read with an encyclopedia in one hand and a slang dictionary in the other, which I didn’t, thus the partial lack of understanding some remarks…

I read
S. Barker
No sé cómo se transcribe una pedorreta, así que hacedme el favor e imaginaos que comienzo esta reseña con una pedorreta.

Señor, qué duro es obligarte a leer un libro porque te lo han regalado y te sientes culpable de estar odiándolo profundamente desde la primera página... No suelo hacerlo y me reafirmo en que seguir leyendo un libro que tienes muy claro que no te gusta es un error.

Pues eso, que no me ha gustado nada, los personajes un rollo, la trama podría haber sido interesante si no me la sud
Bill
what a comedown after reading the stars my destination. that was such a great book, and this is so ordinary, less than ordinary even.full of cliches, insipid characters, bits of undecipherable science, and boring so-called action. i'll have to read his other classic the demolished man to recover my respect for bester.
Mike
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To read The Demolished Man and this book back-to-back is to witness a more-than-compelling argument against literary alcoholism.
Denis
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange novel written by a strange writer. It is flawed in so many ways (the sporadic random 'lingo' is so dated and such) yet it is a fun SF romp written the way only Bester can.

By this time in Bester's career, he had just recently returned to writing SF after a twenty year hiatus. I just can't help but find that this one suffered the same issues as did his novel of five years before "The Computer Connection" (originally titled "Indian Giver" for god sakes). It is as if he was, perhaps, tryin
Jules
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lewis, Joyce and Vaughan are having a brainstorm. Bester is taking notes. Grandma Moses is drinking a cup of GABA. I can guess the OCA2 and HERC2 of your eyes, they're tyrosining. The cat leaps over the table into the hourglass and the four whoresmen of apocalypse are playing poker. If I had some CCGATTTTTCATTTTTTGATGTTAGAATGATTGATAGGTTTGAGTTTGAAAGATTGGAATATAAGTATTTATCTGCTTTTATGCCTTAT to show you'd know that
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Her
Jo Koc
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I bought this book as part of a bundle: science written from scientist. well I should've known what I was getting into, but still I expected more. the main reason why I'm there staring this book is the excessive explaining of the world. mostly because it was harming the action at hand, and when the explanation was done it took a while to figure where the story stopped. so there staring because of bad pacing.
Bruce
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
a fun read, but kind of dated
Sam Fleming
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
I'm adding a preface to my original review, because I re-read this book after seeing other reviews -- it had been many years since I read it when I first reviewed it. The price on the back was £2.95, which should tell you something.

I still love Bester, and I love his work, and I will be forever grateful to him for doing things with his prose that resonated so strongly with me as I tried to reconcile the things my synaesthetic senses told me about the world around me with the way other people des
Celeste
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one, especially not Bester fans
Shelves: speculative
I've been having a really hard time working out all the ways I was disappointed in this novel. I hate it when I read something by an author I've enjoyed, and even recommended to other people, and have my opinion of them change dramatically after a new reading, and not for the better. Maybe Bester just got stuck in the 1950s - that's the most harmless interpretation. The exceedingly racist stereotypes, the blatant sexism – I can read over that in a book written in 1955 (though I really don't reme ...more
Diego José
Los impostores es una novelita corta de ciencia ficción, sin pretensiones, bastante rara y que nos situa en el futuro, donde todos los planetas estan poblados, y nos muestra un unuverso donde reina la picardía. Los chanchullos están a la orden del día. Probablemente sea una novela demasiado poco ambiciosa, y la trama es bastante simple y ya vista. Lo interesante son los diálogos y el mundo que crea Bester. Con ese mundo, y estos personajes se podría haber hecho algo más grande que una novelita d ...more
Fantasymundo
No intentéis comprender la sinopsis ni su sarta de términos indescifrables, ya que tendríais que leer el libro para entenderlos (y ni así), pues nos encontramos ante un libro... peculiar. “Los impostores” es una novela corta, satírica y absurda, muy en el estilo de Terry Pratchett si le sumamos la Seguir leyendo
Roland Flynn
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you haven't read Bester don't start with this one. His previous books 'The Stars My Destination' and 'The Demolished Man' are two of my favourite books. This, although it had traces of Bester's wit and imagination felt like a poor imitation. The plot wasn't tight, and it just felt like a ramble. Do do do read his first two books. Avoid this. Read out of curiosity only.
Meitnerio
May 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Muy inferior a otros libros de la misma temática, puede servir como divertimento ligero, pero para ello prefiero a Adams o Pratchett (o Moore o Mendoza), que son más divertidos. La explosión de ideas tiene calidad y se lee en nada, pero la poca gracia de los chistes y la propia inconsistencia de la historia lo convierten en un libro bastante evitable.
Palimp
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hace poco leía El ladrón cuántico y comentaba que era una novela de aventuras con terminología de ciencia ficción. Esta novela es madre de aquella. En los 80 se experimentó con nuevos formatos, más libres en temas e intenciones y este libro es un ejemplo.

Acción trepidante y mucho buen humor que conforman una novela entretenida y refrescante pero que no va más allá.
Sorel Amézquita
May 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Despues de leer Tigre Tigre! esperaba algo impresionante de Los Impostores. El título tiene bastante poder, para haberle sacado toda una historia digna de ciencia ficción, pero esta se ha quedado corta.
Álex
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Un Bester en horas bajas que sigue siendo un bicho endiablado a la hora de narrar pero que cuela una trama endeble e insulsa que remite a "Las estrellas, mi destino" pero que no se aguanta por ninguna parte.
Kristine
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I stopped & started, thinking my mood wasn't right to understand it . My eyes skip across the pages like a stone on water. I can't find a narrative thread & im tired of trying. Sorry Alfred Bester, go sit with Phillip K Dick ....
Eric
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-read
Sadly this book pales in comparison to The Stars My Destination and The Demolished Man. I wouldn't call it bad -- it just isn't operating on the same level that those two Bester classics were able to achieve.
Michael
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read several of Bester's books and was always impressed, that is until now. I found this book almost unreadable. It was a real struggle to finish it.
Jon Norimann
Oct 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is just totally awful. One of those books you regret starting to read, especially if you are like me who (practically) always finish books you start. Just pass over this book.
Eija
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Luin ensimmäiset 40 sivua eli annoin kirjalle mahdollisuuden - luettu yli 10 prosenttia ja sen aikana ei YHTÄÄN ollut mielenkiintoinen, lähinnä sekavaa huttua. Humoristiseksi tarkoitettu.
Keith Jones
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I swear I know I read this turkey, but I simply do not remember a single solitary thing about it. It's just not as good as The Demolished Man or The Stars My Destination.
Miguel Ángel Moreno
Demasiado estrambótico para mi gusto. No lo he acabado.
Daniel Taylor
Ultra-weird and I'm not sure whether it ends up as enjoyable or not. I'm not sure I knew what was going on half the time. It's certainly idiosyncratic storytelling.
Luis sousa
Dec 15, 2014
Martin Mcgrath
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2014
Dec 10, 2011
Sub_zero
rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2016
  • Deuces Down (Wild Cards, #16)
  • Roger Zelazny's Shadows of Amber (Amber)
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • Dragonworld
  • The Last Defender of Camelot
  • Captive Universe
  • Marune: Alastor 933
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • After Doomsday
  • Roderick
  • War Games
  • Arcanum 101  (Diana Tregarde, #0.3)
  • Search the Sky
  • Special Deliverance
  • Ambient
  • Strength of Stones
  • Memoirs of a Space Traveler: Further Reminiscences of Ijon Tichy
Alfred Bester (1913–1987) was an American science fiction author, TV and radio scriptwriter, magazine editor and scripter for comic strips and comic books.

Though successful in all these fields, he is best remembered for his science fiction, including The Demolished Man, winner of the inaugural Hugo Award in 1953, a story about murder in a future society where the police are telepathic, and The St
More about Alfred Bester...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)