Start by marking “Maggie's Ball” as Want to Read:
Maggie's Ball

Maggie's Ball

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

This is Maggie's ball.

Now all Maggie needs is a friend to play with.

Will you help her find one?

Published May 18th 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Maggie's Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggie's Ball

Nereida Garcia
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This book would be good to show kids how some objects look the same. For example, the ball looked like the balloon, pizza, and clock. (They are all circles) I liked how she found a friend in the end.
Marya
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
AWESOME! This is what a picture book for toddlers SHOULD be like. The colors are bright and basic (no washed out pastels). The dog is nicely detailed, as is the rest of the town. When the little girl asks if Maggie would like to play, you can almost see Maggie jumping for happiness in the illustrations. There's limited text on each page and on some, none, letting the pictures do the work. Best of all, you can track the ball even in the overview of the town pages, which the neighbor's kid absolut ...more
Ruhama
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Maggie the dog has a bright yellow ball, but it gets lost! She searches through town trying to discover where it went. She visits the four shops on the circle, but no one has it. In the end, she not only finds her ball, but also a friend. Bright and colorful illustrations easily convey emotions and actions. Several pages can be used for I Spy or learning more about circles. Text is simple and works for younger aged storytimes.
Amy
Again, it was amazing to hear Ms. George speak about her writing and illustration process for this book. She shared that the pizza man was inspired by her son and one of the ladies by author, Vera Williams. And that her idea for Maggie's adventures were inspired by her own dog, Maggie!

Such a fun, interactive read aloud. I added my own Maggie, formerly Sienna or Sarah's "hot dog" Webkin!

George personalized an illustration in my signed copy - Maggie asking if I'd seen her ball!
Heidi-Marie
I'm sure I've read this before. Guess I didn't record it. More of a toddler age as far as my storytimes go. Works in a lap-read because it has the child looking for the ball, as well as the ask & answer format. Maggie is a very cute dog, too.
Kate
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Worked well for toddler storytime - it's an easy read-aloud and isn't too long for a young child's attention span. Kids loved seeing the similarities and differences between the various objects and Maggie's ball.
Tam
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
A wind blew Dog's ball so she went to look for it. She thought different things were her ball (lemon, pocket watch, & balloon). Eventually she stopped searching. A girl came & asked if she wanted to play and she was holding Dog's ball!
Tessa
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-4050
This is a cute story about a dog who wants a friend to play with.

I would use this book in class as a read aloud. I would use the pictures to encourage children to pay attention to the detail of pictures in picture books.
Connie Klever
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute story about an adorabel brown doggie who has lost her ball and searches all over town to find it. Readers are asked whether or not various objects are Maggie's ball--a lemon, a watch, etc. Good for storytime on shapes (circles), dogs, community.
Nicole
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Readers follow Maggie into town in search of her ball. She meets many of the town's people (and circular objects) before finding her ball...and a friend.
Katie
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Super cute! Pairs nicely with another new picture book: "Please Take Me for a Walk".
Christine Turner
When Maggie the dog goes searching for her missing ball, she finds a lot of different things--including a new friend. www.hcpl.net

Great illustrations & toddler friendly.
Thia
dogs, look for things
Loren
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Love the illustrations! There are several images of Maggie that are just adorable. This one has a sweet ending!
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pets
A "pitch"-perfect selection for toddlers and babies. The illustrations of Maggie the little daschaund are so cute!
Sarah Souther
A miniature dachsund puppy loses her ball and goes looking all over town for it. She ends up finding her ball, and a friend. Simple and bright. Preschool.
Meredith
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
our toddler loves this book; it's straight-foward enough that she can say and/or sign the story as we read, but there's still plenty to look at and discuss beyond the basic text of the book.
Sara Lemonade
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
There's not much going on here.
Morgan
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Sort of eye-spyish. Would be hard to read aloud to a group because everyone would be looking for 'Maggie's Ball'.
Jaime
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was really cute! My daughter loved it and I enjoyed reading it to her. Fun interactive story.
Holly
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
A fun cute bedtime story to read to my daughter. She enjoyed the pictures and the story.
Lindsay
pets, friends, cities, parks
Melissa
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: luke-read
My son loved the story and pictures
Kari
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
4 year d really loved this one.
Pinar