Start by marking “Thomas Jefferson on Wine” as Want to Read:
Thomas Jefferson on Wine

Thomas Jefferson on Wine

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In Thomas Jefferson on Wine, John Hailman celebrates a founding father's lifelong interest in wine and provides unprecedented insight into Jefferson's character from this unique perspective. In both his personal and public lives, Jefferson wielded his considerable expertise to influence the drinking habits of his friends, other founding fathers, and the American public awa ...more
Published August 26th 2009 by University Press of Mississippi (first published November 8th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas Jefferson on Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas Jefferson on Wine

Jun 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wine lovers/Obscure American history buffs
Shelves: cookbooks-food
The modernity of Jefferson's opinions on wine is amazing. He also writes fabulous letters to equally fabulous people.
Sue
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a fascinating history on wine drinking during the founding of America. The author went a little overboard with the buying habits of Jefferson, though, and I didn't like how he skipped over history just because no wine was involved. That may be a good thing, however. I caught more than a few errors along the way.
Carol
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me because I am taking a Road Scholar program on wine & history in Charlottesville next month. It gave me some background on both Jefferson himself & his interest in wine. However, it dragged on & was difficult to finish. It was bogged down by too many wine inventories, which may be of interest to very serious wine connoisseurs, but I found it tedious. It is worth reading for anyone interested in wine or planning a trip to Monticello. One can always skip ...more
Lisa Kortebein
I actually read this as a history. There are many wonderful stories and letters shared within the pages. Jefferson was a thoughtful man who enjoyed the benefits of wine and his travels through Europe. This book inspires the desire to try some wines still in place or making a resurgence from the 1780s as well as rediscover our American history. If you love wine and history, this is the book for you.
Adam
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably a great book for serious wine geeks, but I wasn't able to get into it as much as I'd have liked. It's filled with endless lists of wine inventories and account book entries, which is somewhat interesting from a historical perspective, but I don't really know or care enough about wine history to get a lot out of it.
Brendan
Good book if you're interested in both American history and wine. The information in the book is gleaned from letters written by and to Jefferson. It ultimately dragged on, however, and I found it tough to get through in the end.
Paul
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hailman has searched the copious documentation left by Jefferson to compile a study of his wine buying, drinking, cellaring, and growing efforts. The focus is narrow but the material is so interesting that the book actually escapes pedantry!
Todd
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book. Included some nice history and discussed the role of wine and culture in Jefferson's life.
Greg
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great look at wine consumption in the US by the Wine Consumer-In-Chief, circa late 1700's.
E
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating look at how Jefferson searched and enjoyed wine in US and France. Does get a bit detailed and rambling at times... But very enjoyable read.
Tom
Feb 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: presidents
I loved the historical aspects of the book. The wine info bored me to the point where I skipped it when I came to it. I guess I'm still a wannabe when it comes to wine knowledge.
Jill
Nov 02, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yum.
Raymond
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow read with a lot of detail, both historical and full of wine knowledge. The wine history became too detailed at times - but loved the way it read like correspondence. Very well done.
Gordief
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read for the serious wine enthusiast. I found of particular note the name of a vineyard in Napa that is using varietals and methods of Jefferson.
Joe Conklin
Mostly about Jefferson's fascination with wine. There were some good historical and personal anecdotes from Jefferson. Overall a good read but too long.
Janelle
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, nonfiction
A well-researched book, but so dry that it was very hard to get through. Perhaps if it told a bit more of a story, it would be easier to read.
Rachel