Start by marking “Muti's Necklace: The Oldest Story in the World” as Want to Read:
Muti's Necklace: The Oldest Story in the World

Muti's Necklace: The Oldest Story in the World

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Thousands of years ago in Egypt, a girl named Muti receives a beautiful necklace from her father. He has carved it himself—from “turquoise as blue as a dragonfly’s wing, and carnelian, as red as the inside of a pomegranate.” Muti wears it every day as she grows from a small child into an independent young woman.

When at the age of thirteen she is sent to work for King Snefr
Published June 26th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Muti's Necklace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muti's Necklace

charlene.librarian
This is a beautifully illustrated story set in ancient Egypt, based on...
Jacqui Pollard
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Muti, a girl in Egypt, receives a beautiful necklace from her father as a child that she only grows to treasure more as the matures into an independent young woman. Though she is sent to work for the mighty Pharaoh of Egypt with his temptations of more beautiful necklaces and the power that comes with being the queen, Muti holds fast to her values and realizes just how precious her necklace and her family are to her. The part I appreciated most about this story is that Muti was resilient in the ...more
Katey
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
My view on Social Studies:
I believe that social studies is the study of humans, their interactions with each other and the world around them. As teachers, we must open the eyes of our students to the diverse cultures around us. Every individual is unique and can offer something to the world.
Summary and integration of book:
While this book says it has bases in truth, it has been greatly embellished. This story takes place in ancient Egypt. A beautiful servant girl refuses to work until her neckl
David

Okay, it /isn't/ the oldest story in the world, because we DO, contrary to what the forward says, have 'written stories' from before this one. (hello, folks... really?)

Also, the Author openly admits that the 'real' tale from ancient Egypt around the time of the Pharaoh Snefru, really focused on the magician and his retrieving the precious object of the tale- it didn't actually focus on Muti, as this book does...

Now, DESPITE those things, this book would be a fantastic one to have on your shelf o
Diana Thomsen
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pulled as part of the unit on Egypt. The illustrations on this one were gorgeous! And I love the idea of giving my daughter a necklace that would she could wear as she grows. Maybe I'll have a daughter someday and can do this! :) I love that Muti was willing to stand up for her beliefs regardless of the potential penalty. And yet she was never disrespectful, a lesson which I find to be especially valuable in this day and age where we are not trained to respect those in authority. We must teach o ...more
Allison
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Muti, a girl in Egypt, has a beautiful necklace, and a family who loves her very much. When she grows older, she works at the palace and is called to lead the rowers on the Pharoh's boat. When her necklace falls in the water, Muti refuses to row until her neckalce is returned to her. The Pharoah, (who is a very attractive man for a picture book character...)after getting over his anger, decides that she is strong and graceful and brave, and he wants to marry her. Muti refuses, choosing to go bac ...more
April Helms
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
An incredible story, illustrated by one of my favorite artists. The art is what drew me to check out this book in the first place.

Muti, a young girl from Egypt, is hired to work for the pharoah. One day, while on a boat that is taking the pharoah around the lake, Muti loses the necklace her father made for her -- and not even the pharoah himself will get her to leave it behind.

This is based on a very old Egyptian story, believed by some to be one of the oldest recorded stories in the world.
Kelly Morgan
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folktales
This book was very interesting and positive. I enjoyed the characteristics of the lead character Muti. Muti stayed true to herself and family. She did not forget where she came from and through it all her determination and loyalty with the bonding necklace keep her content strong minded! This book is for ages 8 and up. I would allow my students to act out the book and maybe act out how Muti would have given up and not cared!
Becca
Muti's necklace shows a sense of bravery and confidence. The story itself is not a fascinating one, in my opinion, yet the morals are there to learn from. Many people could relate the story to one from their own life, something they have done to stand up for themselves in a harsh time. Again, the story wasn't entertaining to me, but the "old" vibe you receive from reading it makes you think about the Egyptian times.
Rachel
Great simple story with the most gorgeous watercolor and gouache illustrations about a young girl named Muti who values her necklace, which reminds her of her happiness with her family, about everything else in the world, even the Pharaoh and his happiness. Definitely want to check out more works by the illustrator.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rebecca Guay's illustrations are absolutely beautiful.
The story is set in ancient Egypt and while, fictional, Guay's illustrations are accurate to clothing and architecture.
Hawes writes that the source for the story comes from hieroglyphs.
Muit is intelligent and resourceful.
Michelle Gray
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Absolutely beautiful illustrations.
Allison
Absolutely beautiful illustrations. The story, unfortunately, leaves a little to be desired.
Rose
Mar 18, 2009 added it
Shelves: childrens
E Haw
Miko O.
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really pretty illustration and a strong, stubborn heroine. Yay!
Tanya
Determined female character.
Strong value of family.
Beautiful illustrations.

Worth reading. Glad I checked it out from the library.
Sam Grace
Kristin
Mar 27, 2014
Rikki
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! This story tells of a head strong and vibrant woman who holds family and memories more dear than gold. She stays stead fast to her own morals and self unwilling to budge from what she felt was right.
I can say I would have done the same. A handmade gift is worth more than the world to some and to myself. Worth the wordy read.
Safa
Dec 13, 2013
Poornima
Mar 10, 2012
Theresa
Apr 22, 2015
Rachel Lieberman
Jul 31, 2011
I live in North Carolina, where time moves more slowly than it did in New York. That means my day can include writing, working with new writers, yoga, and hanging OUT with my sweet teacher, Mother Nature.

I have two grown children, both teachers. They are, deliciously and, to me always surprisingly, among my two best friends on the planet.

I'm a teacher as well as an author, serving proudly on the f
More about Louise Hawes...