Start by marking “Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)” as Want to Read:
Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)

Noughts & Crosses

(Noughts and Crosses #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  41,971 ratings  ·  3,051 reviews
Two young people are forced to make a stand in this thought-provoking look at racism and prejudice in an alternate society.

Sephy is a Cross -- a member of the dark-skinned ruling class. Callum is a Nought -- a “colourless” member of the underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. The two have been friends since early childhood, but that’s as far as it can g
Published August 8th 2006 by Corgi Childrens (first published January 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Noughts & Crosses, please sign up.
Holly This is an AMAZING book..loved it so much it is seriously impossible!!!!! My teacher once recommended it to a girl who didn't read much at school and…moreThis is an AMAZING book..loved it so much it is seriously impossible!!!!! My teacher once recommended it to a girl who didn't read much at school and apparently she loved it too. It is so beautiful I actually cried...and I never cry at books/movies....(less)
Jasmine I would say 14 and above,
I would say 14 and above,
I normally would say, that most books I read (are YA or adult) and think they should be ranked much lower than other people,
but I would say 14,
that way the reader would have learnt about apartheid, abortions, suicide and hanging and that sort of thing to understand the message the author is conveying.(less)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
11,746 books — 78,093 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick NessHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingNoughts & Crosses by Malorie BlackmanHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best #UKYA Books
571 books — 395 voters

More lists with this book...

·  41,971 ratings  ·  3,051 reviews

Start your review of Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)
K.
I've tried to write this review a few times, with articulate choice of words, a structure, intelligent observations and supporting facts to back me up. But I found voicing my feelings about this book difficult. So I gave up. And now I'm just gonna wing it.

First thing's first - Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses absolutely broke me in all ways a reader can be broken. I was walking around trying to enjoy my time in the ever spectacular show that is Times Square but found my mind retreatin
Kajal Nehra
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
"Dear God, please let him have heard me. Please.
Please.
If you're up there.
Somewhere."

Holy fucking hell! What !?? What was this book? Noughts and Crosses is a hands-down 5+ starer. If I’m allowed I wouldn’t give it a half-a-star less than a 100.

Can anyone please answer this question: How do you even go about reviewing this book? How do you even -
God, how are you even in a condition to speak after reading this? My bed is a snotty mess right now and I can’t seem to be able to able to stop bawling my eyes out.

"Dear God, please let him have heard me. Please.
Please.
If you're up there.
Somewhere."

This is my condition after having finished reading Noughts and Crosses.
Crying fountain Big Smiley Crying

My emotions are not letting me gather my thoughts hence I'll just write few things which I can remember off the top of my head and then shut up and go away in search of another box of tissues.

First of all, Callum and Sephy - guys I ADORE you. I really really do. Just know that I love you two. So much. I love you both with my life.

The issue which Noughts and Crosses tackles is one that I can most connect to, or lets say I'm most familiar with. Noughts - the whites, and Crosses - the blacks are not supposed to intermingle. Crosses are the dominating one - where all the power lies. Noughts are weaker ones. You'll find (at least I did) that these terms - the Noughts and the Crosses are nothing but substitutes for the others that you can easily witness in the real life if you take a closer look at the society today. For example, in India it could be like any two castes: the Hindus and the Muslims, or even the rich and the poor in many cases. There is forbidden love which can easily be witnessed anywhere, everywhere - but there's also racism, and inequality. This is nothing new - now is it? For those of you who thought these things only existed over a century ago, you're wrong! Certainly they existed then but by no means have they vanished in today's time. This topic - it strikes a chord somewhere. It has struck a nerve somewhere deep - and you know you're bleeding all over on the inside.

One look at the Liberation Militia and their beliefs and principles gives you some sort of insight as to what goes on in the minds of the people belonging to terrorist groups. Not that I think of LM as a terrorist group but considering what they do and the way they do it - obviously they could be conceived as a terrorist organisation in one way. They are not at all bad or evil people - they just believe and understand that what they do is the right thing. They really do believe that in their heart of hearts. After all the cause really is the right one, the noble one! After all there is only so much one can take before they stand up and fight against it. But the way they choose to implement it - I believe that is not the best method.

Remember the saying? - An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Ms. Blackman - I salute you. You wrote this book? Wow. Really, I need to meet you once to show you the extent to which this book has moved me/affected me. You really have added a diamond to the growing pile of literary treasure.

Another thing that comes to my mind when I think about the story is the poor poor Meggie McGregor. What did she ever do wrong so as to deserve this magnitude - this degree - of pain and grief and sadness? It literally hurts your heart to think about the grief and the kind of torment that lady has to go through - and that too without any of her own fault.

Dear God, please. Please. Do not let such a story EVER be true. Never. Please. If you're up there. Somewhere.

All that I can say to anyone who reads this review is that if you don't read Noughts and Crosses, then you'e committing a sin. A SIN! I can't imagine that there exists a person who likes reading dystopian novels but doesn't like Noughts and Crosses. Its not even possible! They'll all be keeling over crying with all their ruddy might by the time they finish reading this book. Especially the last few pages - those will hurt so much it could feel like someone's crushing your heart and hence let me warn you there'll be lots of internal bleeding.

I recommend this book to each and every one - human or animal.
Reading Corner
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book is just wow,definitely A+.I was hooked from the start by the gripping story and complex relationship between Callum and Sephy,I didn't want to put the book down because it was soooo good.I completely fell in love with the idea of Callum and Sephy together despite all the set backs and difficulties they had to face.

The whole story is fantastic as there's never a dull moment and you really feel for the characters because the writing is amazing.The end just killed me and left me he
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This may have been the first YA "dystopia" I ever read. The genre has gone through many changes since then but this book continues to stick in my mind as one which cemented my love for it. It's an old tale of forbidden romance but avoids being cheesy. It's a tale of heartache and tragedy but steers clear of melodrama. One thing is certain: Sephy and Callum's story will stay with me for a long time.
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 17, 2012 marked it as dnf
Shelves: young-adult
I started reading this, and after sitting down twice to try to read it, I had to put it down.

I've read up a bit on it, and I can totally understand why people think this book is amazing (some things that happen later on... WOW. emotion-city). However, I couldn't stand the writing style, which was very childish and used way too many exclamation points.

I'M SO SORRY, FANS OF THIS BOOK. I just can't push through.
Carly
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
So I've finally made myself finish this book. I had real high expectations, seeing all the 5 star reviews and 'wow's!'. What a let down. I've never been any good at writing book reviews so excuse me if this doesn't come across how I want it too. One word i would use to describe this book..... Flat. It had no depth and it just felt rushed and really, it was quite boring. The characters were really two-dimensional and it was near impossible for me to care about what happened to them, i couldn't ev ...more
Jo
You expect me to review this book? Me? You're surely new here. My reviews are... and this book is...
OK fine.

Let’s see.

Well, for a start, I can’t say anything about the plot. I read this book not knowing anything more than what the synopsis told me and that is the best way to go into this book. The only thing you need to know about the plot is that it has one. And it’s absolutely outstanding.

This book is so powerful and completely unforgettable. The writing is magni
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*3-4 stars, what's the difference?? I just started bawling as I added the quotes, so clearly I'm unreliable*

photo BwS93OT_zpsuqcgwrge.gif

I held out my hands and she put hers in mine, looking at me ruefully. Love was like an avalanche, with Sephy and I hand-in-hand racing like hell to get out of its way-only instead of running away from it, we kept running straight toward it.

So...hmmm...yeah. This book is an asshole. Ser
Ken
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After Blackman was announced as one of the writers on the new series of Doctor Who, I really wanted to read one of her novels so that I could get a feel for her work.
As her episode is going to focus on Rosa Parker’s and the constant theme of this book was race and segregation, I ended up getting even more of a gasp on what her episode might be like than I originally expected.
This book was just so incredible!

Set in an alternate universe where dark skinned people known as c
Petal X Planet
Reading this, I read about a quarter of it I suppose, I thought say it was written by someone white from the opposite point of view, that is whites are on top and pushing their agenda, and they wrote in this very 'I came top of English and joined a writing circle' kind of way, would we still praise it? Or are we being all white-liberal and this book is kind of helping us say 'mea culpa' and the author is very, very cynically playing on that?

And I know it's all about we can overcome prejudice an
Tuckleton
Aug 22, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO BODY EVER
Shelves: book-club-book
I wish there was a negative star. There are so many good books about civil rights and race relations, I don't know what the author was doing trying to rip everyone else off for. I thought the writing and the plots were poorly written and superifical. I am not sure how I forced my self to keep reading this pathetic book.

Read the invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Read a Prayer before Dieing by Gaines

Read a comic book before you waste you time on this book.

The
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Maria Elmvang
Sephy and Callum are the best of friends. They grew up together and despite the animosity between their families now, they continue to see each other in secret. But as they grow older and the world encroaches on their friendship, they can deny no longer the big glaring barrier between them: Sephy is a Cross, Callum is a nought. Society, the world, their families, will never accept them.

Sephy is the daughter of Kamal Hadley, a successful and important politician who's manoeuvring his
Emily B
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this when I was younger but I can’t remember it that well. Perhaps a reread in the future
☆☽Erica☾☆
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE. PLEASE.

This book destroyed me, heart and soul.

Please understand, this book is absolutely incredible.

And I'm not including those crying gifs simply for effect. I was legitimately sobbing by the end of this book. I was literally crawling on the floor collapsing. It was probably the most intense reaction to a book I've ever had. My boyfriend was both concerned and irritated.

I tried to explain but he hates reading so I couldn't even begin and he's just sitting there like:

This book destroyed me, heart and soul.

Please understand, this book is absolutely incredible.

This is one of my favorite books of all time.

I even tweeted at the author and tried to tell her that her book was amazing.(She favorited the tweet :D)

The love story.
The characters.
The bluntness of the storytelling.

God. Amazing.

I read this a while ago but I never see people talking about this book so I thought I would say something about it so PEOPLE WOULD READ IT.

PLEASE.

Don't leave me with my emotions all by myself.

Rose
I feel an enormous amount of pressure writing this review, but probably not for the reason that you might think. "Noughts and Crosses" tackles very difficult subjects in a multidimensional, emotional way. It features a relationship that has deeper implications than one may figure it on the surface.

To preface the whole of this review, my viewpoints and perspective going into and coming from this book will not speak for any and all who may peruse it - let alone other people of color who may pick
Jeffrey
Jan 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Given the choice between rereading Naughts and Crosses again and having someone slowly puncture my right eye with a rusty icepick, I would gladly take the rusty icepick. Some may think I am exaggerating, but that is only because they have not read this tripe. World-building at its worst, that's Naughts and Crosses. I could not engage in the narrative, I despised the narrators because they bored me, and the narrative voice would have been more effective as a third-person omniscient. Character development was li ...more
James
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Set in a dystopian 21st century near future British society – the ‘Noughts & Crosses’ award winning series of novels (initially a trilogy, subsequently extended to a quadrilogy) opens following a period of alternative history, a post slavery period where the white population (Noughts) have been enslaved by the ruling black elite. Now post emancipation, it is the non-black population who are distinctly disadvantaged and impoverished in this alternative future society which is ruled and contro ...more
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
A society where citizens are divided based on their skin tones. Noughts are the white citizens, most of them are laboring class and they are controlled by Crosses, who are the black citizens. Crosses ruled everything. Our main characters, Callum McGregor, a Nought and Persephone "Sephy" Hadley, a Cross were best friends since they were young and later on became lovers. There are so many things happened in their lives. Still their love story is forbidden. One rule on their society: Noughts & Crosses cannot mixed together. ...more
Mel
Alright, it's been about 24 hours, I'm less emotional, lets review this.

I'm going to start my review with like a fuck-ton of warnings.
Warning 1: I don't honestly feel very comfortable reviewing this, so it's not going to be very in depth.
Warning 2: These are my thoughts based on what I know and who I am, if I am ignorant in any way in this review, please use this as a good time to educate me, not yell at me.
Warning 3: I loved this book a little too much to be fully unbiased.

So, this bo
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Believe the hype! It is THAT good. And bring a damn Kleenex box when you do decide to read it!
Carolyn  Storer
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is outstanding. I couldn't put it down! As someone who is in her thirties, I wondered whether this book would be too young and the writing immature, but this wasn't the case at all. This is an intelligently and sensitively written story about two friends, Callum, a white-skinned nought and Sephy a dark-skinned Cross and their relationship as they grow up. How society and the prejudices around them moulds them into people they don't really want to be. It's a story filled with trage ...more
Jenn, Reader of Things
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Civil Rights-esqe books.
Recommended to Jenn, Reader of Things by: Uhmmm...cannot remember. Goodreads? We'll go with that.

***2 stars*** This is my fourth time writing this review. Let's hope it gets done this time***

It's time for...

*drumroll*

Jenn's Pro/Con List!

Pros:

1. The dual POV. Sometimes when a character makes a stupid decision, you wonder "What the hell was he/she/it thinking?" Well, because this
Shaz
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2016
Holy crap this was amazing!

I don't know how to categorise this book it's sort of a contemporary set in a world where history is alternate to our world's history but still pretty much the same. The only alternate aspect is that instead of light-skinned people always being in power and enslaving dark-skinned people, dark-skinned people (crosses) are in power and had in the past enslaved light-skinned people (noughts).

So this book is basically a mix of contemporary and dystopian and those are my
K.
3.5 stars.

So for the first hundred pages or so of this book, I was really frustrated by the lack of world building. Right up until the point where I was like "Oh shit, every damned book set in a world dominated by white people doesn't need world building to explain why white people are in charge of anything..."

Yeah. Check your privilege, white girl.

Anyway. There was eventually a small amount of world building, just enough to give a basic history of the planet. The world is great, t
Rachel Pirie
Nov 08, 2007 rated it liked it
This is fiction for teenagers so it lacks real depth and could be at times described as a little contrived, but it's easy to read and provides an interesting insight into a world where race relations are the total reverse of the current reality. That said, I'm not sure what message this book was trying to convey, is the message that predjudice will always prevail, or that we should walk in our neighbours shoes before passing judgement. I hope it's the latter but I was left a little unclear, hope ...more
Rosanna Threakall
I love this book, it's been a while since I re-read it but my God does it pack a punch.

Had me crying on the train!

Definitely a must-read not just for the romance, action, tension and characters but because it will make you think.

I plan to marathon the trilogy now as I have never read the other two books.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

In NAUGHTS & CROSSES, the author creates a very believable alternate world that is almost like our own--but the main difference is a major one. Everything you think you know about race relations and prejudice holds true, but is switched. The ruling class to which Sephy Hadley's family belongs are the black Crosses, named for their supposed closeness to God. The other, the white Naughts, like Callum and his family, are second-class ci
Yonaily
“You're a Nought and I'm a Cross and there's nowhere for us to be, nowhere for us to go where we'd be left in peace...That's why I started crying. That's why I couldn't stop. For all the things we might've had and all the things we're never going to have.

Mi lista de decepciones va creciendo.

Noughts & Crosses es uno de esos libros cuya trama general es buenísima, con gran potencial de terminar en tu lista de favoritos; pero que desgraciadamente no transmite nada. Eso fue lo que me ocurrió con él. Estuve mu
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

This is a very important book for what it is telling you and I think it's very important that the audience this book is written for are children and teenagers. Unfortunately, this means that I dislike it because of that, since there is no theme or amount of excellent writing that will make me enjoy a story that is narrated by annoying, self-centred "AH ME" teenagers.

The plot itself-the
Clarissa
This book broke me.

So I've kind of put off reviewing this book for a bit over two weeks now, I know I know shame on me I know. But I did have my reasons (somewhat) and I think I just needed this story to sit in my brain for a while. It needed some time to marinate..... you know like a steak.... but a book steak? ..................

Good one Clarissa, good one. Now that I've confused even myself I'll just quit referring t
Lynette's story 4 40 Dec 29, 2017 01:34PM
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: Noughts and Crosses 8 77 Jan 22, 2017 05:39AM
Around the Year i...: Noughts and Crosses, by Malorie Blackman 3 14 Aug 22, 2016 01:58AM
Noughts And Crosses Fans 4 9 Jul 25, 2016 01:09PM
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: Noughts and crosses 9 12 Jun 07, 2016 04:53PM

• Ik
  • Black (Black, #1)
  • Girl, Missing (Girl, Missing, #1)
  • Private Peaceful
  • Vicky Angel
  • Als de olifanten vechten
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Meat Market
  • Blood Ties (Blood Ties, #1)
  • The Burning
  • Heartstream
  • Papier
  • Dead Popular
  • Eve of Man (Eve of Man, #1)
  • Looking for JJ (Jennifer Jones, #1)
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor

Noughts and Crosses (5 books)
  • Knife Edge (Noughts & Crosses, #2)
  • Checkmate (Noughts & Crosses, #3)
  • Double Cross (Noughts & Crosses, #4)
  • Crossfire (Noughts & Crosses, #5)
“Just remember, Callum when you’re floating up and up in your bubble, that bubbles have a habit of bursting. The higher you climb, the further you have to fall.” 151 likes
“That just the way it is. Some things will never change. That's just the way it is. But don't you believe them.” 89 likes