Start by marking “Caleb + Kate” as Want to Read:
Caleb + Kate

Caleb + Kate

"Romeo + Juliet gets an update in this story of forbidden love. Shakespeare's never been so hip." -- Jenny B. Jones, author of The Charmed Life Series

As the popular darling of the junior class and heiress to the five-star Monrovi Inn empire, Kate has both everything and nothing. She's bored with school and life...until she locks eyes with Caleb at a school dance.

Caleb is n
Published May 3rd 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Caleb + Kate, please sign up.

Nic
Rating 3.5-4 stars

"Is love a tender thing? It is too rough, too rude, too boisterous, and it pricks like a thorn." - William Shakespeare

Caleb + Kate is quick and light retelling of Romeo and Juliet. It is a beautifully written novel all about true love. Not only is the cover gorgeous but at the beginning of each chapter is a different quote from Shakespeare making it one of the most beautiful books I ever seen.

This book has dual narration and I enjoyed getting both points of views. Caleb and Ka
Kita
Jan 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry but whomever described this god-forsaken book as a 'quick, light Romeo+Juliet retelling' needs to go read it again. Paying special attention to that 70% of the book which is bogged down in meaningless, repetitive internal-dialogue. Let's go through the bad points of this book shall we?

The Characters \
Everyone from trying-hard-to-be-a-modern-Romeo Caleb to the Gossip-girls-in-the-sweet-valley-of-the-travelling-pants minor female characters, reeked of daytime-soapie fakeness. None of t
Michelle
If there was a ten star rating system for Young Adult romances I'd give this book twelve stars. It's the best YA romance I've ever read. Seriously. My heart was actually pounding for the last half of the book. Yes, it really was. I adored Caleb. He was a great guy, and I loved that he was not what everyone assumed when they first met him. The same with Kate. She wasn't a rich snob like he'd expected. I was thrilled that he couldn't hate her even though he had tried. They were so different.

Havin
Isamlq
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Keeping it short again...

I have mixed feelings about Caleb+Kate. Picture this a family feud, on one side is a family that's well-off, and on the other one is one that does not seem as wealthy. From the first is the girl, and from the second, the boy. Where the girl is bored and lacks passion, the boy is loyal and passionate and fiery. By some twist, they meet. Initially, they rub each other the wrong way, but after some exposure, they realize (after a month!) that they might be falling for each
Trianna
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this solely because I marked it “to read” in 2013 and wanted the satisfaction of crossing it off my tbr. I can’t say if 2013 Trianna would’ve enjoyed this, but 2018 Trianna sure didn’t.
Kari
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing

In a simple form, Caleb + Kate is a modern take on Romeo and Juliet but the “house divided” aspect manifests in a different form. Two separate families from different backgrounds and cultures, holding a common link in the past but now in battle make up the most basic premise for this book. Built on top of that is a relationship formed out of teenage emotion and one sparked on despite each party’s original intent to ignore the other.

Kate is a rich heiress, the daughter of a man who owns a large c
YA Reads Book Reviews
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kate Monrovi has the quintessential perfect life. Her family is loaded, she’s got the money to buy whatever she wants, whenever she wants, and she goes to one of the most elite private schools the West Coast of America has to offer. She could be anything she wants, go to any college in the country, do whatever she wants with her life, but as we learn more about Kate, we realize that Kate has absolutely no idea what she wants from life. Money, it seems, can buy a lot of stuff, but it can’t buy Ka ...more
Christina (Reading Extensively)
Caleb + Kate is a sweet love story, told in alternating chapters from the viewpoint of Kate and Caleb. Kate may be very wealthy but she is not spoiled. When she does something wrong, she willingly takes the punishment and she cares about the welfare of others. Still, Kate has some lessons to learn about life and her friendship with Caleb helps her to grow and see things in a different way. After the death of his mom, Caleb's father and younger sister moved to Oregon but Caleb stayed behind in Ha ...more
Amy
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Ollmann
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response
I thought Caleb and Kate was a good book; I enjoyed the story of Caleb and Kate. They had struggled in the beginning of their relationship, but by the end it was easier on them. One thing that I did not like was that they focused on the past of both families, which was why the relationship had a rocky start.

Plot
Kate was at school when she got called down to the Headmistress Mrs. Liberty’s office. She was told she would have to show the new guy around school on his first day.
Abigail S. 8B
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I finished the book, I wasn't ready to end it because it was so amazing. I think the author did a great job with detailing and wording. Now, I'm just waiting to see if there is a sequel or not.
Shxrxn
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
The course of true love never did run smooth.
- WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE The Tempest (Act 1, Scene 1)
Love is like death’s cold grip crushing the beats from an innocent heart.
- Elaine
Once upon a time, I believed in love, I believed in the entire happily-ever-after dream.
- Kate
Rules were made to be broken.
- Maggie
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
- WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE Measure for Measure (Act 1, Scene 4)
Revenge is more fun than love.
- Monica
When a
Kai
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

It's a Romeo and Juliet re-telling with a different twist. One that goes deeper and more complicated. It's about family, faith, love and the sacrifices we need to do in order for us to be happy.

Kate thought she had it all. She's rich, she attends a prestigious school and have two of the best friends anyone can have. She thought she wouldn't ever be in love. Not in the foreseeable future anyway. But that was until she meets Caleb, the son of the maintenance guy,
Lauren
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was browsing through the YA section of the library when I found Caleb + Kate. I love discovering a great new book and this one doesn’t disappoint. It’s a modern (loose) retelling of Romeo and Juliet, and very sweet.

I liked that the author incorporated texting and social media into the book, because it very realistically depicted teens these days and I don’t think enough YA authors incorporate it to the extent that they should.

Kate and Caleb’s relationship does develop very quickly, as many
Katrina Burchett
Kate Monrovi's family owns a chain of hotels, so this young lady drives a Lexus and she can afford a $500 pair of shoes. Caleb Kalani and his father don't have much as far as material things but they are hard workers with integrity. Kate is white, Caleb is Hawaiian. A relationship between these two young people begins with a dare but some family members don't want them to be together. It isn't a racial issue -not totally. Their families have been against each other for more than fifty years for ...more
Princess Bookie
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2010
My Thoughts: How can I describe this one? Well, first off, we are introduced to Kate. Kate comes off as a snobby rich girl to some people, but really she isn't. She's actually kind. We are also introduced to Caleb who isn't as wealthy as Kate's family and is transferring from Hawaii to her school. Their is a long held rivalry between their families and are persuaded not to become friends. Of course what happens? They fall in love! This story switches back and forth between each point of view (lo ...more
Victoria Burke
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
My Opinion: I fell in love with the characters almost immediately. However, I didn't really like Kate's best friend Monica but she wasn't that much part of the story. The characters are a lot different then what I was expecting and I was expecting a story more traditional to the Romeo and Juliet story. It was a lot like it but of course with a happy ending. I didn't like Kate's sister in the story either. (She was the pregnant one in my teaser Tuesday post). I loved how it was mainly the grandfa ...more
Kami
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I found this book- disappointing.

While the characters were okay and likable, there was just so much left out. When I finished the book, I was expecting maybe a sequel would be in the works but I don't see that is true. Unfortunately, that leaves A LOT of blanks in this story.

The feud is never fully explained- we know there was a woman involved and a grant of land with a sacred blessing but nothing beyond those basic facts- the financial difficulties of Kate's parents never resolved, there is me
Tito
Absolutely adorable. The first time I read this book was 2 years ago, and I definitely didn't appreciate what a gem this novel was. Now after a re-read, I've found insightful quotes that I totally missed the first time I read it, and I can now fully appreciate Caleb and Kate's story now that I've also read Romeo and Juliet, although I must say I like the book better than I like the play. (Maybe it's just me, but I didn't actually like Romeo and Juliet. I found it incredibly unromantic, and there ...more
Debs
Nov 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
It was a really boring book. I didn't like the main characters, they're not strong enough.

Also, this is not a Christian book. At least not for me. I really don't like when people assume a book is a Christian book just because it involves a church somehow.

But anyways, the book was not good... :(
Jessica Journey
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but honestly its biggest shortcoming to me was- nothing much happened. I found it quite boring, and didn't like Caleb and Kate's tones. They didn't sound believable.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I'm not impressed with Caleb+Kate. Once again my high expectations messed everything up. I was a sweet book but I wasn't emotionally invested in the story and characters.
Kaitlynne
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A much happier ending than the one in Romeo + Juliet ;)

Is it bad that I fell in love with Oliver a little bit more than I fell in love with Caleb?
Holly
I've had this book on my to-read list for something like 8 years. Truly. It finally got to the point where I had to read it or get it off my list.

Part of the reason it took so long was because I was leery about it being Christian lit. It's not my favorite genre by far, but I was interested enough in how it was going to be a modern Romeo and Juliet retelling that I went for it.

My real problem with this book was that it was utterly forgettable. There really wasn't anything about it--at all--that I
Amel Armeliana
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Shakespeare never been so hip? What about Romeo and Juliet never been so boring? Because honestly, this book is a boring one. I expected Romeo and Juliet's retelling in a modern style, but then it's just an old family feud that involved a bitter old man.
And the chemistry between Caleb and Kate isn't working for me. Beside all the talk about love bla bla bla, I just couldn't feel it. And they're 17 after all. Duh! Maybe yes, there's a love once in a lifetime but honestly, when I was 17 years old
Meghan
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Good things about this young adult novel: No sex. Teenagers go to church and talk about God and becoming better people. Kudos to the author for including God.

Not-so-good things about this novel: I really really abhor reading a book with a made-up conflict. Kate goes all out of character and becomes this unreasonable melodramatic person for no verifiable reason I can see. Sure her boyfriend is moving back to Hawaii for the foreseeable future, but most teenagers have the ability to understand his
Rose
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet, without the tragedy.
Megan Salentine
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the storyline and how the book floated along. It was a great read that definitely pulled at your heart strings:)
skawngur
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to read this book for two years but never got around to it. I was disappointed with it but also pleased. I think the anticipation and high expectations ruined it for me.
Debbie
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, ya, romance
"Caleb + Kate" is a young adult romance novel. Though Caleb had a point-of-view role and was portrayed well, this novel will appeal most to female teens. The story switched between Kate and Caleb's point-of-view with both sections clearly marked and written in first person present tense ("I stand" instead of "she stood"). Though I noticed it, the present tense read smoothly and didn't bother me.

On the actual printed cover, Caleb's skin is darker than it looks in the above cover picture. This is
  • Winter Longing
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1)
  • Breathing
  • Rhymes with Cupid
  • Addison Blakely:  Confessions of a PK
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • The Ocean
  • Sixteenth Summer (Sixteenth Summer #1)
  • Salvaged (Salvaged, #1)
  • Rich Boys (Island Summer, #2)
  • Before That Night (One Night That Changes Everything, #0.5)
  • The Next Door Boys (Next Door Boys, #1)
  • Paradise
  • Crush Control
Cindy Coloma is a national bestselling author who has written twelve novels, including: Beautiful (2010 Christy Award finalist for Young Adults and 2011 Revolve Young Adult Tour featured book); The Salt Garden (one of Library Journal's best genre books in 2004); Song of the Brokenhearted (2013 ECPA bestseller with coauthor Sheila Walsh); Orchid House (2008 ECPA bestseller); and Winter Passing (200 ...more
“My nature has always been to fight. My faith forces me to forgive.” 62 likes
“I might be falling in love with you," I whisper, finding it hard to focus on his face.
"Kate," he says, almost sadly.
"what? You might be falling in love with me too?" My voice is hopeful, pathetically hopeful.
He shakes his head.
"You aren't falling in love with me?"
He doesn't respond. I touch his face carefully with the tips of my fingers. His skin is incredibly soft above the line of hard jawbone. I touch his silky black hair. His eyes close and i want to kiss his eyes, but I'm afraid. Afraid of all this. This could destroy me.
He opens his eyes. "Kate, I'm already in love with you.”
24 likes