Start by marking “The Little Book of Restorative Discipline for Schools: Teaching Responsibility; Creating Caring Climates” as Want to Read:

Can an overworked teacher possibly turn an unruly incident with students into an "opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building"?
If restorative justice has been able to salvage lives within the world of criminal behavior, why shouldn't its principles be applied in school classrooms and cafeterias?
And if our children learn restorative practices early and d
Published April 7th 2015 by Good Books (first published November 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Restorative Discipline for Schools

Start your review of The Little Book of Restorative Discipline for Schools: Teaching Responsibility; Creating Caring Climates
Melissa
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Some well-written, good, practical instructions on why and how to apply Restorative Discipline in a school setting. And I am a fan of the idea. But it seems almost too bulky and definitely too time consuming to be applied and used in a daily manner within a public school. A friend works at a large public school where they are beginning to implement it and I eagerly await the feedback from her experiences. Love and Logic has some similar ideas of taking responsibility and making things right, and ...more
Mira Prater
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Even after reading this it’s still hard for me to picture this in practice at my school. I worry about the time it will take to make this effective and not an exercise in futility. But of course I want my school to be successful and an inclusive school for all.
Kim
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Good information, dry delivery.
Debbie Tanner
A very interesting read! I think I got some great ideas for my school.
Annette
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I just thought this book was okay. I think school staff would be better served by reading Positive Discipline in the Classroom and The Little Book of Restorative Justice- both mentioned in this book. Those books provide a better understanding of Restorative Justice philosophy and the mechanics of circles in the classroom. Working from that combination would help educators build a good foundation for a restorative school.
Carla
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
I loved this book with it's focus on being flexible and using discipline issues as teaching opportunities. I also like the fact that it's short and to the point so that busy teachers will be able to read it. Written in a kind and gentle style that models what restorative practices should be.

Book description:
Can community-building begin in a classroom? The authors of this book believe that by applying restorative justice at school, we can build a healthier and more just society.
Trina M.
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Little Book of Restorative Discipline for Schools was an excellent read. My school is currently a Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) school. We do a great job of impacting our behavior in a positive way, BUT this book gives a new light to handling behavior. The concept of restoring behavior is simple yet causes many to have a mind shift with thinking. Sometimes issues, problems or even challenges are handled poorly or not at all. This book takes you through the restorative
Ms. Mester
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
I'm so excited that we're going to be formally implementing these practices at my school this year. Many of these ideas I've been practicing in small ways with students, so putting some sustainable and systemic practices in place is huge! I like how this book distilled the essenence of these practices in an easily digestible way. My big problem with this, however, is knowing audience/tone. 7/8 of the examples given were from private and/or small schools. These examples don't equate and aren't ap ...more
Alyssa Peake
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
As a preschool teacher, these are things we mostly do on a daily basis: talking with kids about what went wrong and how to fix it. Just on a much simpler level. Quick read, but not much use to those teaching younger grades.
Rachel Z
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this practice. Very quick read.
Lynn
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short, easy read. Helps you understand restorative justice and how to implement it.
D
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice, succinct explanation of Restorative Discipline. I read it with a few other teachers at the school where I teach. :)
Marika Gillis
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great explanation of the theory and philosophy behind restorative discipline in schools. It will not give a lot of direction for practical application, but is critical to read if you want to implement restorative practices in your building. Like the book says, you won't "see it until you believe it". Read this book to be sure you believe it.
Bruce Nieminski
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
6.5/10
79 pages

Handy little 'pocketbook' on the growing movement in our nation's public schools to implement restorative justice practices. A quick summary of what restorative justice entails is combined with examples of the concept in action in several school districts.

A worthwhile read for those who have not been exposed to RJ and are looking for alternative methods to student discipline than just punishment based outcomes.
Rebecca
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I agree with much of what the author had to say about 'discipline' (basically her theory involves responding calmly in a calm and understanding way, never yelling and only with approrpiate discipline the student understands like 'how would you feel getting your paper ripped?') It's not a complete cure-all for every possible situation, but 98% of the time it is effective. I had the opportunity to meet the author, Judy Mullet, and it was a joy to have a workshop with her.
Kathy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-challenge
I found this helpful in cementing my philosophy of using restorative justice in the classroom and it gave me some new ideas to play with, as well as has me looking at some other resources. I do think it is helpful to start with reading Howard Zehr's The Little Book of Restorative Justice before beginning this book.
Amy
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcar, 2012
Quick read outlining how restorative justice can be used in school settings. well written, informative, but so brief, did not really contribute much to the prior knowledge base i had previously developed on restorative justice. worth the read if you don't know much about this area and are looking for a quick condensed overview.
Drick
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a project for developing a restorative practices discipline ploicy in a a local high school. The book gives a good overview of RP and how to apply in an educational setting.
Sherri
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my first reading about restorative justice and I think this book will help me more if I read the first book on the topic as this one focused on only discipline. I agree with the philosophy and approach but need more hands-on information.
penelopewanders
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very useful, succinct presentation of another form of discipline for schools.
Megan
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
A short, simple introduction to using Restorative Discipline in a school setting.
Kim
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-reading, 2016
This book was very encouraging and informative. I'm glad to see that so much of what my school has been trying to do goes along with it. Now we just need to find a way to make it school wide.
Greg
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Another good overview of ways to use restorative justice principles, this time in a primary and secondary education setting.
Michael Wacker
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some great strategies to empower children and the adults working with them
Micah
Aug 20, 2018
Jess
Mar 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Better Than Carrots or Sticks: Restorative Practices for Positive Classroom Management
  • Little Book of Restorative Justice: A Bestselling Book By One Of The Founders Of The Movement
  • The Little Book of Restorative Justice in Education: Fostering Responsibility, Healing, and Hope in Schools
  • Little Book of Circle Processes: A New/Old Approach To Peacemaking
  • The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.
  • All Across the Spectrum
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • Inspector Imanishi Investigates
  • Murder Creek
  • Roar
  • The Red Coat: A Novel of Boston
  • Lost at School: Why Our Kids with Behavioral Challenges are Falling Through the Cracks and How We Can Help Them
  • Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds
  • The Writing Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Writers
  • The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
  • Stem Lesson Essentials, Grades 3-8: Integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
  • Ghost Boys
“No one likes to feel used. When the perceived focus becomes the content over the person, people feel used. When teachers are valued only for the test scores of their students, they feel used. When administrators are "successful" only when they achieve "highly effective school" status, they feel used. Eventually, "used" people lose joy in learning and teaching. Curriculum does not teach; teachers do. Standards don't encourage; administrators do. Peaceable schools value personnel and students for who they are as worthy human beings. ... If your mission statement says you care, then specific practices of care should be habits within your school.” 2 likes