Start by marking “Paris in the Spring with Picasso” as Want to Read:
Paris in the Spring with Picasso

Paris in the Spring with Picasso

This evocative portrait of the artists that made Paris tick in the early 20th century is a perfect introduction to the world of contemporary art and literature . . . and to Paris!
On any day of the week, if you cross Paris’s Luxembourg Gardens, you will come to a cobbled street called rue de Fleurus. Follow it to number 27, and you will arrive at Gertrude Stein’s home. Insi
Published March 23rd 2010 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Paris in the Spring with Picasso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris in the Spring with Picasso

Manybooks
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in art and artists
Both Joan Yolleck's narrative and Marjorie Priceman's illustrations give a wonderful and evocative general feel and exuberance to Paris in the Spring With Picasso, an authentic description and demonstration of the joie de vivre, the artistic energy of early 20th century Paris (and I can certainly understand why so many artists, like Gertrude Stein and Pablo Picasso flocked there); text and images totally capture the movement, the lively frenzy of the city.

And truth be told, while I have indeed
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: france, creativity
This is the story of all the amazing people who became friends and artists during the 1920's in Paris. Told in the present tense, the story will take you right inside a day with all these people. The illustrations are beautifully reminiscent of Picasso's work.
Camille
Apr 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a book that I thought was going to be right up my alley and perhaps as a collector's item for French majors, it succeeds. But even my literature clogged memory had to wrestle quite a bit to recall the works of Guillaume Apollinarie. Having made numerous personal pilgrimages to Shakespeare and Co. in Paris, I truly embraced the spirit of this book. I can only imagine the dazed look on a child's face after reading this though. One has the sense that these artists and writers were "somebody ...more
Stefanie Molinaro
I would have liked this book a lot more if the author explicitly stated that Alice B. Toklas was more than just Gertrude Stein's "best friend."
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Reviewed by Senta Ross

Ahhhh! Paris in the springtime... or anytime! Many have heard about, and perhaps have even experienced, the beauty and culture of this magnificent city. Few, however, will have had the pleasure of meeting its greatest artists. This is about to change! When you enter Paris in the Spring with Picasso, you will be transported back to the early 1900s and find yourself spending a day in the company of a most diverse group of artists and writers. Stroll with Guillaume Apollinaire
Amy Adams
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Here's the thing about this book: it doesn't make much sense. I mean, I get it--we're following a cat through the streets of Paris, getting glimpses of different people who are getting ready to go to a party at Gertrude Stein's house. But, there are just too many problems. The title has little to do with the book; Picasso is just one of the array of people mentioned in the book. The story is kind of all over the place. It's not very cohesive. I understand that the author was trying to move us sm ...more
Natalie
Apr 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This is truly a beautiful book, brimming with color and activity. The main characters are Gertude Stein and her friends all gathering for a Saturday soiree. Sprinkled with French words and phrases, it is a delight---for an adult reader. I cannot anticipate a circumstance when a child will truly enjoy reading it although would certainly enjoy looking at the beautiful illustrations. I can see it used for middle or high school French students perhaps, because it truly captures the mood of Paris in ...more
Megan Rust
This is an excellent picture book. It has a strong vocabulary and incorporates elements of French words and French culture. There also are a variety of characters, so the students will have to be paying attention to follow along. Also, it is an easy way to teach students a little bit of the background and history of some famous French people.
Donna Mork
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story about the artists, writers, and other famous folks that lived in Paris back in its heyday. Describes a fictional "day in the life of" these people and how they come together in the evening. Backmatter describing who these people area and what made them famous.
Jen
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a children's book - but so much more than a children's book!

This is a trip to Gertrude Stein's salon! With Picasso! So worth the read.
Katherine Cecil
Might be good for art integration in lesson plan for an older class.
Courtney
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: edu-365
I liked the "about the book" section. It is a great art history book and has information on Picasso and Paris!
Jessica
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd
I really enjoyed this book and the illustrations. I chose this book because I wanted to find books that gave you a taste of a different cultures. The illustrations and the story does give you an experience of walking down the streets of Paris in the spring. The illustrations are very colorful and some parts are abstract giving you a sense of the art work found in Paris or done by Picasso. This book also shares some very basic french vocab and common sayings with the reader. I enjoyed learning ho ...more
Melanie Abril
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Paris in the Spring with Picasso is not your average historical fiction book. From the very first page you are taken on an adventure through the streets of a beautiful spring in Paris to meet French artists, writers, and musicians. From Apollinaire to Picasso we see into the enchanting everyday life of these well known artists. From the eye popping and gorgeous illustrations to the French lesson this book is sure to entertain.

Paris becomes even more majestic through the eyes of these artists and
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults interested in art and young children
This is a children's book that isn't really for children. Certainly, children will enjoy the bright, whimsical illustrations and may enjoy learning about Paris and all the comings and goings of the people there. However, those who know nothing of the writers and artists who thrived in Paris in the period after World War I will not be able to fully appreciate the story. You must be familiar with Picasso, Gertrude Stein, Alice B. Toklas and others to really understand the significance of the book. ...more
Michelle
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I really enjoyed reading this imaginary book of Picasso and his friends in Paris. The book is filled with color, French words and written with a certain "je ne sais quoi". Perhaps I found it more interesting than some might but it brought memories of Paris to mind and I enjoyed telling my son of the places I visited. I think its a great conversation starter for parents, or maybe just for me.

If you are interested in art, speak a little French and have visited Paris, I'm sure you will find this bo
Paola
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great historical fiction story for children of 4th grade and above. The story is about Picasso and some of his famous friends getting ready to go to a party where they all meet. This is a great book to use to begin a lesson about artists, musicians and writers. The story also has French vocabulary so I would recommend it children in 5th grade and up. The book has beautiful illustrations that reminded me a lot of Picasso’s paintings. The book takes you into a trip around streets in Paris.
Marcy
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. It was about real people - Pablo Picasso, Gertrude Stein, Max Jacob, Guillaume Apollinaire, and Alice Toklas. The people were real but the author admits he made up the story about them having a party together. Children could read this story and learn what each of those people are famous for. They could also learn a few French phrases as the author incorporates them throughout the book.
Heather
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Loved the illustrations, but the text was written in such a boring way that both my four-year-old daughter and I lost interest long before the conclusion. It also seemed that the book ended just where it could have been most interesting. Cheers to the author for attempting to introduce young children to the artistic movers and shakers of Paris in the early 1900s (e.g. Gertrude Stein, Picasso, Jacob)--the effort just fell a little flat.
Melanie Rightmyer
The illustrations are charming but the story is a bit confusing. The title would lead you to believe the book is about Picasso but he is only one of the people in the book. The book talks about Gertrude Stein, Alice Toklas, Guillaume Apollinaire, Picasso, Max Jacob and others. I'm not sure what age group this book is for, unless you know who these people were it is hard to follow the story. It may be good for older children when studying the arts.
Boni
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous, evocative, informative... but most likely more for adults than kids. The narrative is confusing- yes, I think it's meant to be that way in a crazy, creative, over-flowing inter-connectedness like the people and time period profiled was, but even to my 9-year-olds it was a little TOO. The artwork should get six stars however- Marjorie Priceman is amazing.
Alyson
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not really sure of the point of this book. Are their picture book readers who are interested in Gertrude Stein and can follow a very confusing narrative? The story didn't work for me.
The illustrations are very nice, but in a few places they reminded me too much of the Bemelman's Madeline illustrations of Paris.
Shelli
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Unless you have a good bit of knowledge about the five people briefly mentioned in this book, the story is unimpressive. I know very little, if any, about them so I found the story dull. The best part, and its only redeeming quality, was the afterward that briefly discussed the importance of the characters.
Ms Threlkeld
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I like the idea behind this book more than the execution. The pages are very text heavy and I think it would take a very particular child to enjoy reading about the creative minds of Paris in the early 1900's.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A look at the lives of several famous writers and artists living in Paris in the early 20th century. This is non-fiction with some dramatic license. An interesting introduction to the men and women who influenced art and writing during this period. Illustrations bumped it up to a 4 star for me.
Kaitlyn Craig
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
I liked how this book had two different languages and used real people has the characters! It was I interesting to read more about the people in the back of the book, however it was not a very attention grabbing book.
Hope L. Justice
I went back and forth between two and three stars on this one because the illustrations, WOW. What a gorgeous and adventurous children's book, but the plot falls flat. It reminds me very much of a child's rendition of "Midnight in Paris" by Hemingway.
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like that the illustrations that are very Picasso. The story was basic and somewhat uneventful.
Jenny
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I can't think of a subject more dull (for a children's book) than Gertrude Stein's friends in Paris. Ugh. Too long and too much information about a topic that wouldn't interest most readers.
Abbey Maraugha
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!!!! It's a wonderful story and could be tied into an art history lesson.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
  • Me, Frida
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • Vincent's Colors
  • Silent Movie
  • Degas and the Little Dancer: A story about Edgar Degas (Anholt's Artists)
  • Andy Warhol's Colors