Start by marking “The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)

The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  37,935 Ratings  ·  1,635 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Tess Gerritsen's Last to Die.

The bestselling author of The Surgeon returns—and so does that chilling novel’s diabolical villain. Though held behind bars, Warren Hoyt still haunts a helpless city, seeming to bequeath his evil legacy to a student all-too-diligent . . . and all-too-deadly.

THE APPRENTICE

It is a boiling hot Boston s
Published August 26th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

Shaikha
Jun 17, 2017 Shaikha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Is this all we are? A necklace of chemicals? Where, in the double helix, does the soul lie?"

Medical student or not, you will learn a lot from Tess Gerritsen's books with pure enjoyment. If you like your crime medicine strong, this will keep you gripped. Rizzoli & Isles is the perfect series! 😍

4.5/5

A series of horrific murders seem disturbingly familiar to Detective Jane Rizzoli. They remind her of those committed by a killer known as the Surgeon, who they recently put behind bars.
While th
Paula
A new serial killer has come to Boston and Detective Jane Rizzoli is called to the latest crime scene when there are similarities to a former case she worked on which resulted in the capture and arrest of Warren “The Surgeon” Hoyt. Hoyt is now in prison, so these latest murders must be the work of a copycat. Then Hoyt escapes and it seems he’s now joined forces with this new killer, The Dominator.

This book was enjoyable enough, but disappointing as well. I was looking forward to reading about Th
Carolyn
Jan 04, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the serial killer known as the Surgeon behind bars, Detective Jane Rizzoli can breathe easy and get on with her life. Or can she? When a murder victim is found with his wife clearly tortured and abducted, there is a chilling signature of the Surgeon's work and perhaps a hint that he is not entirely finished with Jane.

A very creepy, thriller which manages to raise the tension to the max without a host of murders. An excellent follow up to The Surgeon and an introduction to forensic pathologi
Abby (Crime by the Book)
I read this one while traveling - it was a perfect plane read! Totally gripping and chilling. I wouldn't have thought I'd be a fan of medical thrillers, but I really enjoy Gerritsen's writing - it's addictive and fascinating, with lots of detailed medical references that make the story that much more authentic.
Sep 16, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of the Rizzoli & Isles tv show and with the fall hiatus, I decided to start reading the actual books. Full disclosure, I skipped The Surgeon (#1 in this series) because, honestly, Maura Isles is not in it. Sorry. Not interested.

I can definitely tell you, if you've watched the tv show, you can jump into this book first without any problems. The changes that were made for the tv show are, in my opinion, fairly minor in terms of characters and their relationships to each other (fo
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 Stars! Awesome follow up to book 1, The Surgeon! Intense doesn't begin to describe The Apprentice. This is on-the-edge of your seat, heart-racing, scared-to-turn-the-lights off suspense! It's been a year since Jane put away the Surgeon. Physically, she's healed, but mentally & emotionally - she's got a long ways to go. And now she's called to the scene of a horrific murder in another district . . . one that mimics those perpetrated by the Surgeon. Jane's nightmares come rushing back as s ...more
Daisy
This is the second book by Tess Gerritsen that I've read. I must say this was as good or better than The Surgeon.I'm addicted to this series and I will be reading all of them.

Jenny
Apr 16, 2017 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Apprentice is the first book I have read of Tess Gerritsen, and I was impressed with the way Tess Gerritsen portrays her characters especially Jane Rizzoli and Detective Korsak. I am also impressed that the Rizzoli and Isles TV show does represent the books.

Detective Jane Rizzoli is still recovering from her encounter with The Surgeon when couples are starting to die in Boston with the similar characteristic of The Surgeon. The readers of The Apprentice will start to wonder if there is a cop
Raíla Soares
Dec 15, 2009 Raíla Soares rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished reading The Surgeon, I was way too excited to put my hands on the next book of this series and read it. Unfortunatelly, I only could do it months later, but I did it well. I read The Apprentice in one day and a half. This rarely happens! I have seen that it's only a sugestion for you to read the series in order. I don't think so, though. I believe I wouldn't have understood it well if I haven't read The Surgeon first.

This second one is basically a sequel for The Surgeon. The "new
Quike
Mar 12, 2016 Quike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cerrah'daki heyecan aynı şekilde devam ediyor. Bütün programlarınızı iptal edip tamamen kitaba yoğunlaşacağınızdan eminim. .Kendinizi olayların içinde hatta çoğu zaman Rizollinin gergin ruh halinin içinde buluyorsunuz.
Punk
Nov 10, 2011 Punk rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, ebook
Thriller. The serial killer known as the Surgeon is back to menace Boston Homicide Detective Jane Rizzoli, but Rizzoli is way too stubborn and angry to let him get away with that for long.

The first book in this series really pissed me off. Its portrayal of rape and gender was completely offensive and the clumsy writing and unsympathetic characters only made the problem worse.

Gerritsen corrects some of those mistakes in this book. For example, the text does a better job of distinguishing between
Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

My Review - 2 1/2 Not my cup of tea

What a total let down, I cannot believe this was written by the same author, The Surgeon was almost perfection in my mind, so to get a total boring, what was the point follow up was beyond disappointing.

This read like a debut, repetition continuously. I understand the details needed for those that didn't read The Surgeon but even if you didn't it became insanely unnecessary.

There was no mystery to me in this book, so The Surgeon escapes from prison
Kaisu
Sep 10, 2016 Kaisu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ein reread, der sich definitv gelohnt hat :)
bookaddict
Jul 03, 2016 bookaddict rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 MÜKEMMELDİ.
Kitap o kadar akıcı ki,ne zaman elime aldım,ne Zaman bitirdim anlayamadım.Yine çok zekice kurgulanmış bir kitaptı.Tess yine hayal kırıklığına uğratmadı.Yazar tıp bilgisini sonuna kadar kullanmıştı bu arada kitapta.Ama yine de cerrah kadar ürkünç,rahatsız edici bir kitap değildi.Daha çok katilin psikolojik yönleri aktarılmıştı okuyucuya.Ve bu da benim çok hoşuma gitti.Karakterlere daha çok ısındım bu kitapla.Polisiye/gerilim seven herkese tavsiye ediyorum.
Liz
Aug 10, 2010 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
After reading the utterly brilliant first book in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series, The Surgeon, I couldn’t wait a single second more to get stuck into the next in the series. I hoped it would be every bit as good……and it was! Infact, as I write this I am half way through #8 in the series (never before have I read any single authors books back-to-back until now).

The Apprentice is the moniker given to a new serial killer stalking wealthy couples in Boston, a killer who has a strikingly simila
Christine
Another great read by Tess Gerritson. Not for the faint hearted. Crime scenes are very descriptive and just the way I like it. If you like a gutsy crime serial killer read, well I advise you to get stuck into this book. If you haven't read book one The Surgeon, I highly advise you start with this book first.
Nat
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first in the series, but that's expected since The Surgeon was a masterpiece. If you read the first (which hopefully you did) this book can get a little repetitive, but there's enough new information and twists that it's still entertaining. Gerritsen's writing style is pretty phenomenal and I found Rizzoli to be more likable in this book than she had been in The Surgeon so it's a win all around. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.
Natalie
Apr 30, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's summer again, and a new body's been found just outside of the Boston precinct. Korsak calls Rizzoli, believing as she does this has something to do with the Surgeon--even though he's behind bars. Even though she knows he's behind bars, the way everything is laid out at the crime scene convinces her that he's involved somehow.

Too bad no one else believes that. Convinced Jane is obsessed with the Surgeon, Special Agent Dean of the FBI tries to get her removed from the case. But even when thei
Scottsdale Public Library

I just finished "The Apprentice" by Tess Gerritsen. It stars Detective Jane Rizzoli, of the Boston P.D. She has captured serial killer, Warren Hoyt. Yet, a new crop of crimes that are similar in style to Hoyt's technique arise. This book is not for the faint of heart, as there are detailed descriptions of how the victims died. To add to the cast is FBI Agent Dean. What is his role? This is a fast paced novel.
It is a hard book to put down.
-Bob K.
D.C. Menard
Apr 12, 2011 D.C. Menard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the surgeon, The Apprentice kept my attention the entire way through. Which I was actually quite surprised about, considering Jane Rizzoli, the main character of the series, was one of my least favorite characters in The Surgeon. I went into this book worrying that I wouldn't like it because of my dislike for the main character. Instead, by showing us more about her, and letting us into her head for the entire book, rather than the snippets of the last one, I grew to respect her, and m ...more
Neide Parafitas
Oct 01, 2011 Neide Parafitas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2012, own
Mais uma vez a cidade de Boston volta a ser acometida por crimes hediondos que deixam os seus habitantes absolutamente aterrorizados!!

As vítimas são casais abastados e enquanto a esposa é torturada, o marido é obrigado a assistir! O modus operandi é bastante semelhante ao do "Cirurgião", o que leva a crer que é este o culpado! Mas o "cirurgião" está preso e não há qualquer possibilidade de que tenha sido este a cometer estes crimes.

Assim sendo, só há uma explicação... "O cirurgião" tem um admira
Hayal Perest
Feb 06, 2016 Hayal Perest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bu kitap hakkında tek diyebileceğim şey ; "tek kelimeyle harikaydı." desek yalan olmaz sanırım. Tess yine harikalar yaratmış. Bir solukta okudum kitabı . Ve bu kadın bilim kurgu , polisiye de bir numara diyorum . Okurken kendinizden geçeceğiniz , zaman zaman da korkacağınız bir kitap.
Eğer okumadıysanız bir an önce başlayın . Başlamadan önce tedbiri elden bırakmayın.
Ben geceleri okumazdım pek , ürkütücü gelirdi bana . O yüzden sabahları okumayı tercih edin.
Okurken tüylerinizin diken diken olmasın
Ömer
Dec 19, 2014 Ömer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5

Fuardan bu kitabı alırken standdaki görevli kitaplardaki hikayelerin birbiriyle bağlantılı olmadığını, sırayla okumasam da bir şey olmayacağını söylemişti. Aslında öyle değilmiş, yan, tam olarak değil. Tamam yepyeni bir olay da oluyor ama aynı zamanda ilk kitaptaki katil geri dönüyor ve kitap boyunca ilk kitaptaki olaya da atıflar var.

Yorumun tamamı için:

Candace
Feb 09, 2015 Candace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gerritsen did not hide anything in her novel. This reader knew after the third chapter what was going to happen at the end of the book. Gerritsen's novel is still a good read.
Nihan
Nov 05, 2012 Nihan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
doğum günümde oturmuş kanlı bıçaklı katilleri okuyorum çok beğendim bu seriyi ama bazen dialoglarda o kadar yabancı terim oluyor ki siniri bozuyor
Tintentraeume
Als Polizistin hatte sie sich immer in der Rolle der Kämpferin gesehen, der Jägerin. Nie hatte sie sich vorstellen können, einmal selbst das Opfer zu sein. Aber jetzt musste sie feststellen, dass sie sich genau wie ein Opfer verhielt, ängstlich und misstrauisch wie ein Kaninchen, das wartet, bis die Luft rein ist, ehe es sich aus dem sicheren Bau wagt. Sie, die immer so furchtlos gewesen war, sah sich jetzt gezwungen, nervöse Blicke in alle Richtungen zu werfen, bevor sie aus dem Wagen stieg. Si ...more
Mark Hodder
Mar 07, 2017 Mark Hodder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
The second in the Rizzoli and Isles series, this is the one that introduces Dr. Maura Isles. As with the first novel, it describes in deep and authentic detail the processes of a forensic investigation, but in a manner that’s neither dry nor dull. Quite the opposite, the plot is gripping and the characters convincing. Jane Rizzoli takes centre stage (Isles has only a bit part, the spotlight will hit her in the next book) and she’s really pushed to the edge, which is exactly how it should be in a ...more
Silvana (Por detrás das Palavras)
O Aprendiz foi o primeiro livro que a Denise me enviou este ano para o nosso projeto conjunto do Empréstimo Surpresa.
O ano passado estreei-me com esta autora também por conta da Denise e foi uma leitura que adorei. Esta conseguiu superar a leitura anterior, ou seja, ainda gostei mais deste livro do que do anterior.

Este livro traz-nos de volta a detetive Jane Rizzoli assim como o criminoso do livro anterior. Foi como se entre eles dois ficassem algumas pontas soltas, alguns elos de relação que
The Better Book C...: Rizzoli and Isles: The Apprentice 2 3 Sep 13, 2015 11:42AM
The Women's Myste...: The Apprentice (#2) 7 26 Apr 04, 2013 07:56AM
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10; Minneapolis, #1)
  • Le Serment des limbes
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)

“Some people make choices hoping for the best; Korsak had made a choice simply to avoid the worst.” 9 likes
“Society thinks of violent acts as manifestations of evil or immorality. We're told we have ultimate control over our own behavior, that each and every one of us has the free will to choose not to hurt another human being. But it's not just morality that guides us. Biology does as well. Our frontal lobs helps us integrate thoughts and actions. They help us weight the consequences of those actions. Without such control, we'd give in to every wild impulse.” 7 likes