Start by marking “Hand Of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hand Of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)

Hand Of Evil (Ali Reynolds #3)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  3,247 Ratings  ·  285 Reviews
In this heart stopping New York Times bestseller, Jance weaves a masterful story of suspense that travels over generations, revealing two very different women with one horrifying secret.

With his hand trapped in the door of a speeding car, a man struggles to remain upright as he’s dragged along a deserted stretch of San Juan Road in Phoenix’s South Mountain Preserve. It’s t
Published December 18th 2007 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hand Of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand Of Evil

Jerry
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're huge J.A. Jance fans, having read every single one of her Beaumont and Brady books, as well as her non-series thriller novels. When this new series started, featuring Ali Reynolds, we immediately saw it as an attempt to feature a more "modern" leading lady, who spends much of her time on the internet, blogging and so forth, the descriptions of which we soon found tiresome. While the mysteries per se were decent enough, as one would surely expect of veteran Jance, to be blunt we just did no ...more
Sfdreams
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Shelves: reviewed
This is the third book of JA Jance's Ali Reynolds series. I had forgotten about this series, but I have JA Jance marked as a favorite author at the library, and they automatically reserve all her books for me. I don't know why I forgot about this series, because I REALLY enjoyed this book! (As I tend to do with ALL her books--although I thought until I read this book that her Joanna Brady mysteries were my favorite!)

Ali Reynolds is a former news broadcaster that in the first book was fired from
Cathie
Another mystery whodunit where the woman (an ordinary citizen) can't keep her nose out of other people's business, and plants herself right dab in the middle of not one, but 2 different murder investigations (with a total of 8 bodies ~ at least I think it was 8; I stopped counting!) plus a child molestation case.
The book kept me interested right up to about 3/4 of the way through and by that time I had invested enough energy and time in the read that I wanted to finish it.

I finally was ready t
Mary
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read, but not great. Was not that crazy about the main character, Ali, but the side characters I liked a lot, especially the crazy old rich lady. Ali writes a daily blog, and has a lot of followers, and one of them is an old lady who is the daughter of a benefactor of Ali's, who paid for he college expenses. But all this the blog and the rich lady are side stories to another story of a man who worked for her father, Bob, as a handy man and is missing. This makes things a bit hard to follow ...more
Ellen
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hand of Evil by J.A. Jance.

This was my first Jance book so I am new to this author and this series.

I found the story had some parts that kept me interested in continuing on and many that were totally unnecessary. The unnecessary parts made focusing on the issue of the identity of the murderer pushed to the back of my mind. The beginning of the story and the ending I found exciting...the middle not so much.
Don
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ali Reynolds is summoned to the Ashcroft residence, a family that gave her a scholarship that allowed her to go to college. Mrs. Ashcroft is being extorted by a relative and she wants Ali to help to write the story. At the same time Ali's friend's daughter disappears. Ali is dragged into both events that puts her in danger.
Maurean
An engaging soft-boiled mystery. Apparently the third in a series, it held up well on its own. I really enjoyed the pacing, and the style of the writing, worth the reading time.
Genie
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series featuring former L.A. TV news anchor Ali Reynolds. Ali is in a bit of a funk as she recovers from the murder of her ex-husband. She has a good support group; her parents, her son and her old high school friend, police detective Dave Holman. Out of the blue, wealthy recluse Arabella Ashcroft sent a request to Ali asking her to meet with her. Since Arabella’s mother was responsible for bestowing Ali with a much needed college scholarship, Ali felt obligated to ...more
Erica Lundstrom
Sep 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really did not like Ali's character in this book. She came across as very judgmental and arrogant, and I don't remember getting that impression of the character in the 1st two books of the series. When Ali refused to return the diary and instead turned it over to the police with instructions to read it, I put the book down for a few weeks and considered not finishing it. Even though the action proved justified, there didn't seem to be enough evidence leading up to the action to justify the vio ...more
Rayni
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rayni by: Series
Shelves: mystery, 2009-reads
I jukmped into the Ali Reynolds books when I unknowingly picked up #4 in this series. I liked it & wanted to start at the beginning. I went to the library & only found this in the Ali Reynolds series.

This was a fantastic read. I was so involved in the book for once, I didn't go to the end of the book to see how it ended. Of course, since this is #3 & I had already read #4, I knew a couple of things from the get-go, but I HAD to find out. I stayed up til 4 a.m. reading & then had
Kerry
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would've liked to have given this book a higher rating but the writing . . . ugh! The dialogue was just painfully, wretchedly, horribly bad. And the author has the annoying habit of repeating herself, saying the same thing in nearly the exact same way just a short time later as if it were a whole new thought. I sometimes wondered if she had short term memory loss!
Nancy Ellis
J.A. Jance sure knows how to write a good story. It's not exactly "heart stopping" as the review states, but it is surely entertaining. I especially enjoy all of her series because of their setting in Arizona. In this book I even knew exactly what bridge they were referring to......I'm easily amused!
Barb
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery! I didn't figure out "who did it" until just before it was revealed in the book. Amazing!
Kittiya
I just wasn't feeling this story. I had read one of her other novels, loved it! Well seriously liked it anyway. but this just seemed slow and dragged on a bit for me.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE the Ali Reynolds books, and this one was even better than the first two. Fast paced and well written, fun to read.
Chade66
Rae Davies
As with the other books in the series, the narrator is a bit bothersome. Every. Single. Sentence is read with dramatic intensity, but "Ali stepped out of the shower and reached for her towel" is just not an intense situation. I am trying to attribute it to the narrator's need to be clear.

The story, itself, was slightly better than the other two, thus far. So, with that, I am moving on to book #4 in the series.
Bryan
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I decide to read a book by a new author, I check out reviews on "Goodreads", and start with the first in the series. So this is the third book I have read by author J.A. Jance, and her Ali Reynolds series. This series is fast paced with lots going-on! The books seem to flow nicely from one to the other. I enjoy the setting, and the characters. Looking forward to the 4th in the series.
Darlene Wilson
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Hand of Evil" is Jance at her best, weaving a masterful story of suspense that travels over generations, revealing two very different women with the same horrifying secret. Will Ali become a victim herself, or will she escape from a deadly deceit that no amount of security -- financial or emotional -- can cover up?
Becky
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I read these since they irritate me to no end with the meddlesome activity of the main characters. I do not support the notion that the end justifies the means. Laws are laws and why do the adults take stupid risks AND NOT GET CAUGHT?
Zoann
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book suffers from an all-too-common malady--not being able to sustain quality over time and with repetition. I cared more about the characters than the plot, which is good for a series but not good if one is just looking for a thriller and a little escape.
Dave Nichols
Lots of stuff but still moves nicely.
Judy Evenson
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read that kept me turning page. A good review of the early years Ali.
Janet Womack
I was very disappointed in this book. I usually like J.A. Jance. The mystery was okay. I didn't like the main character.
Raoul Jerome
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Convoluted. Deep. Ali's got her job cut out for her... Lots of history here. I like Chris's new lady.
Cindy
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well narrated.
Sharon Hogue
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying the story of Ali Reynolds and her family in this series of books.
Pat
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a captivating mystery/adventure including the issue of teen vulnerability to predators. I enjoyed the low-key handling of the attraction between the narrator and her longtime friend.
Malik Lee
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this book 3.5 stars. I liked it more than the 2nd but not as much as Edge of Evil.
Bonnie
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like murder mysteries and this one was pretty good. I kind of had it figured out before the end though.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Mysterious West
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • Ancient Ones
  • Borderline (Anna Pigeon, #15)
  • Edge of Betrayal (Edge, #4)
  • Prepared For Rage (Coast Guard #2)
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Silver Falls
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • The Girl With Braided Hair (Wind River Reservation, #13)
  • Red Herring (Joe Gunther #21)
  • Concrete Desert
  • Very Hard Choices (Russell Walker/Zandor Zudenigo/Nika Mandiç Mysteries, #2)
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
  • Clawback (Ali Reynolds, #11)
“but he’s not worth the powder it would take to blow him up.” 0 likes