Start by marking “Blame It on the Rain: How the Weather Has Changed History” as Want to Read:
Blame It on the Rain: How the Weather Has Changed History

Blame It on the Rain: How the Weather Has Changed History

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
An amazing, enlightening, and endlessly entertaining look at how weather has shaped our world.

Throughout history, great leaders have fallen, the outcomes of mighty battles have been determined, and the tides of earth-shattering events have been turned by a powerful, inscrutable force of nature: the weather. In "Blame It on the Rain," author Laura Lee explores the amazing a
Published August 15th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Blame It on the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blame It on the Rain

Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Actually pretty interesting. I love reading history, and the concept here is a good one: how did weather affect historical events. Some of the events are big (how mud defeated Napoleon) and some are much smaller (how The Scream may have been influenced by a volcanic ash sunset). The author's writing style is good enough, and the chapters are small enough that you can easily read a bit here and a bit there.

However, the sourcing bugged me, because there was no effective sourcing. There's a long li
Daphne
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sounds fascinating by the cover...and it is! It has great information about how weather has shaped history and changed culture. "An entertaining 'pop-science' look at the many ways weather has affected history and continues to shape our world." But the reason I only gave this book 3 stars, even though I'm a weather nut is because I didn't care for the author's style of writing. I felt it was very choppy and just not put together very well. But as I said before, the topics she wrote abo ...more
Cat.
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I've been reading this book for over a month; it's so overdue the fine has stopped accruing. I have, at last, finished it, and it is worthwhile.

The premise is explained further in the subtitle: "how the weather has changed history." Most of the history the author discusses involves wars, and of course there are the obligatory chapters--three of them--on why it's bad to try to invade Russia in the winter. Generals aren't very smart, based on this particular information alone.

But there are an awfu
Jenny
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
This book was fascinating!

My only complaint: I needed maps! The author assumed prior knowledge in some cases, or at least geographical knowledge, and I would have liked to have been able to reference maps, especially since I learned weather in college by using maps.

But to think how some things have such consequences is mind-blowing. Even something like this fact is interesting: rain on election day will more likely affect republicans since they tend to live in areas where rain will make it tough
Miriam
As long as you take each story with a grain of salt, it was an interesting book. The premise was that the weather has influenced events in history and Lee explained how weather conditions contributed to events as diverse as the painting of "The Scream," the biblical flood, the many disastrous attempts to invade Russia, and why Idaho and New York got the worst of the radiation from the '50s nuclear tests in the southwest. Interesting as long as you realize that the weather was only one factor of ...more
Todd Stockslager
Short recaps of history bent by weather. Sometimes the historical background is too short, too sketchy, or too cute. The majority of the recaps focus on changes in military fortune caused by the weather, not surprisingly since these are the most well documented. Still, Lee might have done deeper research and more serious writing to uncover more weather-related connections to history.

OK, but not great.
David R.
This collection of short essays on the way weather has impacted historical events is itself variable and sometimes superficial. Some of the impacts are a bit of a stretch, for example speculating if rain in parts of just two states cost Thomas Dewey the presidency in 1948. In many cases there are minor historical errors, and there is insufficient documentation of claims. Read it for entertainment value, but be willing to view some claims skeptically.
Casae
A cute little book with small chapters, sorta chronological but not necessarily so. The humorous snips get a tad tedious toward the end, so I'd suggest reading it a little at a time, maybe a few chapters a day! On the whole, totally worth it. It also serves as a brief reminder of important historical events - very nice and brief.
krin
Dec 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was an interesting book of historic weather events around the world. The parts that will stay with me include the chapters about various invasions of Russia, the desert battle of Hattin during the Crusades, and how an El Nino contributed to Robert Falcon Scott's demise in Antarctica.
Janet
I’m more of a history buff than a weather geek, so I found myself skipping through some of the more “science-y” parts. This book’s a good fit for both, however. My favorite part was the bit about the bee poop.
The Tick
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I had really high hopes for this book, but the writing style just didn't grab me. I kept going because of the subject matter, but it took me forever and I'm still not super happy with it, although I'm not unhappy enough to give it less than 3 stars either.
Kate
Oct 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history enthusiasts, weather buffs
Recommended to Kate by: 551.609 L
Shelves: ciencias
"Russia has two generals whom she can trust--General January and General February."

"The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches."
Kathleen McRae
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book. It relates episodes in history where the weather has literally changed the course of history or an event in history.
Hapzydeco
Like that how the origins of words was presented.
Melissa
Jun 10, 2015
Andrea
Jun 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Laura Lee is the author of 20 books. In addition to a large catalog of humorous reference titles such as The Pocket Encyclopedia of Aggravation and Don't Screw It Up, she has written one children's book, A Child's Introduction to Ballet, two novels, Angel and Identity Theft, and Oscar's Ghost, which deals with conflicts between members of Oscar Wilde's circle over his legacy after the playwright's ...more
More about Laura Lee...