Start by marking “One Rainy Night” as Want to Read:
One Rainy Night

One Rainy Night

Formerly friendly neighbors turn to crazed maniacs. A stranger at a gas station shoves a nozzle down a customer's throat and pulls the trigger. A soaking-wet line of movie-goers smashes its way into a theater to slaughter the people inside. A loving wife attacks her husband, still beating his head against the floor long after he's dead. As the rain falls, blood flows in ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Leisure Books (first published March 7th 1991)

Start your review of One Rainy Night
RedemptionDenied
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, deranged, gory, 2017
This was just as good as the last book I read by the author (Endless Night) - although, not quite as funny.

Bob Hanson, a patrol officer, returns to the scene of a gruesome crime: where someone has been tied to the goalposts of Lincoln High School's Football Stadium; and set on fire. After climbing the chain-link fence to gain entry to the stadium; he has a look around the crime scene, when suddenly, the stadium lights come to life, and he sees someone walking towards him from one of the
TK421
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-thriller
I had never heard of Richard Laymon until I noticed a blurb on a Stephen King novel saying something like: Besides Laymon and Koontz, King has...blah, blah, blah. So I went to my favorite used bookstore in my hometown and decided to see for myself what this Laymon guy was up to.

And, man, the dude had written like thirty books. Vampires. Aliens. The unexplained. Etc. Etc. I chose randomly, three or four titles.

ONE RAINY NIGHT was among the fortunate to come home with me. As I began the book I
Adam Light
This is one of my new favorite Laymon books. What an action packed, fun-filled ride through a night of terror and violence! I would shelf One Rainy Night as "Classic" Laymon. Other such titles I have thought as highly of from this amazing, but grossly underrated author are Island, Body Rides, Into The Fire, After Midnight and The Cellar. I haven't read all of his books, as I am slowly working my through them. Unfortunately, we lost Laymon in 2001, when he was felled by a massive heart attack, so ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

Vote: 3,5

Laymon's version of "The Crazies" (more the remake than George Romero's original one) meets "The Twilight Zone" with lots of the author's trademark "Sex, violence and bouncing boobs".
A brutal action-packed page-turner that I finished in a few nights, sadly characters were so lame that in the end I was just not caring very much about their (often bloody) fate.
Not best Laymon's novel I've read, still not worst, just not bad at all.
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, thriller, fiction
I wasn't sure at first what to expect from this book, whether it'd be just another duty-free shop mass-market paperback, or a truly great and worthwhile book. I'm glad to say that One Rainy Night was much better than I thought and that although it has some excessive violence that really seemed unnecessary, it was a creative story and the writing had evident thought put into it.
Dreadlocksmile
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First published back in 1990, `One Rainy Night' came at half way through Laymon's career.

Following Laymon's fast paced, action packed, blood filled formula for creating a novel that will be adored by many horror fans, `One Rainy Night' does not disappoint when it comes to an intensive splatter-punk style tale of blood lust and unrelenting violence.

With huge similarities to novels such as James Herbert's `The Fog', David Moody's `Hater' and Danny Boyle's 2002 film '28 Days Later...', `One Rainy
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Janie Johnson
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Been a long time since I have read a Laymon book so this was certainly a pleasure to embark upon. As I have said before as far as Laymon's stuff goes, you either like him or you don't. I happen to like most of his stuff. He writes with a dark, dry, almost humorous at times with grotesque/horror elements thrown in.

In this book we start out with a murder of a black teen, he was burned to death. Shortly after the investigation starts, a storm comes to the town of Bixby and with comes a black rain.
RabbitReads
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very entertaining read. The action was nonstop as well as the gore. The story was easy to follow. There's no thinking involved in this one just enjoy the ride.
Hayley
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago, sneaking it off my mum's book shelf so she didn't know I was reading it - I think i was about 13/14. I found it fasinating that rain could change it substance and consistence like it does in the books and how this rain changed the behaviour of the people it touched. I thought it was really good at the time and still do, the reason I gave it 4 stars is because I think that at the age of 13/14 I could actually believe something like this happening - well we already have ...more
Andy
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
One Rainy Night is probably the most brutally and consistently violent Richard Laymon title I've read to date, and if you are familiar with this author, you understand that that is really saying something. This book reads like the ultimate b-horror movie (in a good way). There are more bizarre and gruesome deaths than you can shake a (rain)stick at, as well as quite a few genuinely tense and frightening moments. Of course, Laymon's trademark lighthearted sense of humor in the face even the more ...more
Molly OBrien
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Richard Laymon book that I picked up and it is still my favorite. I don't think that any other author is quite as disgusting as Laymon, and everyone should know how gross the books are before reading them. This book starts with the murder of a black high school student by several classmates and what follows after can only be described as total insanity. A black rain begins to fall on the town of Bixby, and anyone touched by it instantly turns into a homicidal maniac. I liked ...more
Mark Hennion
Nov 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, splatterpunk
Well, I knew it would happen soon or later—I would give a book a 1-star rating. Generally, if a book becomes unbearable I put it down, but this is the rare such instance that I decided I needed to comment on a book, this not being my first Laymon book I tried—and failed—to read. If you go through many of Laymon’s reviews, you will find his readers divided. Defenders of Laymon’s work point to the Splatterpunk aesthetic, declaring that Laymon was within well charted territory to write violence, ...more
Michael
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: splatterpunk, horror
If you've missed Laymon you've missed a treat. No truer words have ever been spoken when it comes to the late Richard Laymon. He was a man that delved into the darkest parts of the human soul and showed us that the greatest monsters are actually ourselves. One Rainy Night seems to show Laymon at a point in his career where he wanted to give everyone what he was accused of giving them. A total gorefest without any real characters or purpose. It would seem on the surface that One Rainy Night is ...more
Mika Lietzén
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Nipples. So many nipples. And lots of carnage. Richard Laymon is up to his usual tricks in One Rainy Night, a 1991 novel about a mysterious rain that turns ordinary folks into homicidal maniacs.

The story begins a day after a black youth is killed by a bunch of hooligans. Sadly for the mostly white town, the young man's grandpa happens to know voodoo. He literally rains down his vengeance, causing a black rain to fall on both the guilty and the innocent. Everyone caught by the downpour goes on a
Dean Burnett
May 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
David Jordan
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The formerly alive Laymon was an over-the-top version of Stephen King, if you can imagine that. Reading his novels is very much a guilty pleasure. The books are short on characterization and occasionally logic and but long on violence, blood, sex and general depravity.
Jason Brant
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My First Laymon Novel

Loved the pacing and idea. Super violent and packed with sex. This was a crazy read. Gotta get some more Laymon.
Justin
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be clear, this book does not get four stars for being great literature. It gets four stars for being hella fun. This should really be a shitty horror movie.
David Church
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Typical Laymon fast paced, lots of action, gore, & nudity. In other words a fun read. Laymon such a guilty pleasure!
Andrew
he did it again folks, he did it again. Gotta hand it to ol Dick Laymon, man knew how to tell a tale. and he told it his way. i’ve heard many a horror fan sort of refer to Laymon as ‘Stephen King without a conscience’. personally i don’t subscribe to that analysis because it definitely shortchanges King, who lets face it, elevated the horror genre and went well beyond it in his writings; and that analysis also doesn’t give Laymon the credit he deserves for totally owning -no - embracing the ...more
James
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before I read a Richard Laymon book, I like to imagine that Richard Laymon himself comes out to introduce the story. For One Rainy Night, Uncle Dick comes out wearing a rain jacket, big floppy hat, and galoshes. He has a friendly smile on his face and he's drinking his signature Pepsi before he stops to speak.

"Hi there. Geez, it's raining cats and dogs outside. Big, black drops that just won't stop coming down! Oh well, it's in the most chaotic of times, like these, that we really see people. I
Fuzzydice108
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mine, thriftbooks
I liked the goriness in the book. That was greatly explained in detail. However, some of the events that happened in the story (mostly beginning and end) could have been explained better with more story and description given. So not my favorite Laymon book, but it wasn't bad.
Jeff Kart
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whitney
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own
This book was straight trash and I read it in one night. haha. I'm not ashamed. There's more boobies than a Murakami novel!
Pauline Borgeaud
2-2.5 stars.
Unless it's your first Laymon, you have no right to complain about the story being too gory, or the fact it actually makes no sense, or that "tits" (or breasts, as well as nipples if you wanna be picky) is the most used word in the novel; after a few books from him, you just have to accept all of this. Or stop reading his books.

It's perfect trash literature; you get into the story without thinking, just enjoying the ride.
And I did enjoy it; up til two thirds of the story. The last
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
chucklesthescot
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laymon and horror fans
A boy has been murdered and his voodoo priest grandfather decides to take revenge on the town by turning the rain into a deadly weapon. When you get wet you become a psycho with rape and/or murder on your mind and those inside houses, bars, restaurants all have to try and barricade themselves in against the rampaging lunatics who want to kill them. While most are trying to survive, a few are trying to find a way to stop the priest and restore the town to normal.

One of my favourite Laymon books
Trevor Firetog
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I flat out loved this book. It was gory, sexy, dramatic, thrilling, and it even touched on some important issues such as racism. If you have a weak stomach, I would recommend you stay away from this book. But if you can handle books like this, then give it a try. It was much better than I expected, and was interesting the whole way through.

The one thing I didn't like (and this is NOT a spolier) is the ending. Not the ending of the story, but the actual last page of the book. It was terribly
Joe Stamber
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
A black student is murdered by racist scumbags for daring to go out with one of their ex girlfriends. The arrival of "black rain" the very next night that turns the people it wets into crazed killers seems to be too much of a coincidence. The reader follows several groups of people as they struggle to survive the carnage. My thoughts throughout were that One Rainy Night is a run of the mill Laymon tale, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing awe inspiring, but a fast-paced, easy and enjoyable read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dark Mountain
  • Midnight's Lair
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • The Face of Fear
  • The Lost
  • Hide and Seek
  • Castaways
  • Offspring (Dead River, #2)
  • The Door to December
  • Lair (Rats, #2)
  • The Bookshop From Hell
  • Blue World
  • Depraved
  • The Mailman
  • Domain (Rats, #3)
  • Mosquito Man (World's Scariest Legends)
  • Chase
  • Red
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,