Start by marking “The 30-Minute Cook: The Best of the World's Quick Cooking” as Want to Read:
The 30-Minute Cook: The Best of the World's Quick Cooking

The 30-Minute Cook: The Best of the World's Quick Cooking

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Nigel Slate ? Winner of the 1995 Glenfiddich Trophy and the Cookery Writer of the Year AwardFollowing the tremendous success of his first two books, Nigel Slater has spread his net wider to offer quick and delicious meals from Asia, India and China as well as dishes from Europe.

"An inspired worldwide collection of quick and accessible dishes; robust and honest, they are co
Published October 8th 1997 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The 30-Minute Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 30-Minute Cook

H
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought this book whilst living in Sydney in 1999-found it in a bargain box for $9. I had just had a baby and already had a toddler- this book was brilliant. Tasty food using many store cupboard items. Nothing was labour intensive- couldn't cope with that with 2 littlies! Managed to do a few dinner parties using this book. Good food but incredibly simple to make- ticked all the boxes for me.
When I returned to the UK I felt the need to try Nigel's other books. I love his writing style, his wit,
Mark
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it. Great intro into veggies with some very very simple tips and tweaks that create great, tasty and slightly unusual dishes. Favorite so far? Aubergine and pesto. Working my way through slowly and seasonally. Must work out how to make the time to plan my shopping better to get even some of the simplest tips. A must for every home cook.
Amberjack
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great little cook book, great for getting ideas about what to cook, and quickly! Even if you don't end up making any of the recipes in the book, it will give you ideas about flavour combinations, and how to approach quick cooking. There are a couple of recipes that I love, and make over and over again.
Joanna
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nigel Slater did it again. Easy to read, easy to follow instructions yet leaving a little space for your own inspirations. I cooked first dish on the day when I bought the book.
Felt hungry reading it - it is the best proof of the value of a cookery book.
Peter Clarke
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
one of my go-too books for weekday meals. Particularly like the Vinegar-Mustard chicken (think french bistro) as well as Sausages & lentils (the lentils are cooked with pancetta, onnion and mushrooms). Simple, warm, unpretenious cooking
Nick Warren
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Nigel Slaters no-nonsense simplicity. This cookery book is both inspiring and funny, which works for me.
Meredith
I didn't get on with:
the layout,
the fonts,
the tone.

It felt like an outdated book with a new cover, and then I found out that's what it is!
Lloyd
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never fails to deliver
Jennifer Hamill
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Try his Morrocan flash fried chicken, it's lovely. I find his recipes very inspirational.
Dee
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Nigel Slater's shows and recipes.. they are humble and glamorous both at the same time.. this book is so well written that even a novice can cook comfortably..
Clare
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This book offers and outstanding range of flavours, using mainly storecupboard ingredients. I love it.
Penny
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars, because the recipes are imaginative, quick, delicious. And it was our best wedding present!
Sebastian Dziallas
  • River Cottage Every Day
  • Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • Delia's Complete Cookery Course
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Modern Classics Book 1
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books.

Although best known for uncomplicated, comfort food recipes presented in earl
More about Nigel Slater...