Start by marking “Broken” as Want to Read:
Broken

Broken

Laila had it all--love, family, wealth, and faith. But when her faith crumbles, her world falls apart and Laila finds herself living an empty, dangerous life as a call girl in Chicago.
When she is threatened, Laila shoots and kills a client in self-defense, sending herself into a spiral of guilt and emptiness. Six months later, she is trying to move on, but she's haunted
Published May 25th 2010 by FaithWords (first published May 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken

Andrea Westdorp
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast paced suspense novel that's a little dark at times but makes you think about the choices you make in life. Even as a Christian it makes you think about the grace and mercy God has for you and for those who dont believe.
Elizabeth Gordon
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh
Debbie
May 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
"Broken" was...surreal. Weird. Creepy. Depressing. Not to mention disjointed and confusing. It's a fast-paced suspense novel, but it was hard to be worried when I sometimes had no idea what was going on. I'd actually call "Broken" a horror novel. The author mixed nightmares, reality, and supernatural until I wasn't sure what was happening. Granted, the author was probably trying to make the reader feel what it was like inside Laila's head, but for much of the novel we're not really in her head b ...more
Kaitlyn
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The book Broken is a piece of inspirational fiction written by Travis Thrasher. I would recommend it to people who are religious but can still handle a bit of fantasy.
The main character of this novel is Laila Torres. She had it all; money, looks, and love. Choices of her own and of the people around her ended all of that. It seemed like running was the only way to get through the path she chose. So she ran. She tried to forget about her past, but when a stranger told her he knew what she did,
Agatha Glowacki
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Started good but then tried to weave in Christianity and did it poorly. Ended up very corny
Deborah
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Laila has the money and the means to live any kind of life she wants. But when she makes a bad choice, she believes she is beyond redemption and becomes a call girl in Chicago. When a client becomes dangerous, she shoots him to protect herself. Six months later, she is full of guilt and self-recrimination, and every shadow is a piece of her past trying to get her. Haunted by the things she's done and all the things she never will get to do, Laila can only run so far from herself.

When a complete
Christy Lockstein
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Broken by Travis Thrasher is another profound and disturbing novel by an author who is quickly becoming known for works like this. Laila Torres has spent the last several years of her life running from something, and her flight became vital six months ago when she killed a man. Now she's on the run and hunted by several men, all who want something different from her, but she's seeing and hearing things that make her feel like she's losing her mind. What do you do when there's nowhere left to run ...more
Catherine Jett
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
If you like plots with supernatural occurrences you will like this book more than if you expect the entire story to be truly realistic. There are indeed actions carried out that are unexplainable, or are explained by a ghost but that is kind of a small part of the total story. The ghost plays a major role in the plot, in my opinion, but the majority of the story is realistic. The ghost or the unexplainable enables some of the realistic actions that could not occur otherwise, but most of the stor ...more
Christina Culbertson
Oct 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
I hardly EVER give books 1 star. All books in my opinion get 2 most of the time for effort. With that being said, This book was pure garbage. I want y'all to know I NEVER finished this book. I am Very O.C.D when it comes to reading books. Even if I don't like a book much, My O.C.D forces me to finish every time. My O.C.D didn't get in the way with this book. I really just could not get into it. It was so boring, and drawn out. I think I finally got to the middle, and just kept putting the book d ...more
Kym McNabney
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
BROKEN is like no other I've read. Being a fan of Travis Thrasher's romance novels, when I spotted BROKEN I purchased it. Though he may write in a variety of genre, how can one not at least give one of his other novels a try?

I loved the journal entries before each chapter. It pulled you into the very heart of the main character, Laila.

The story started as pure mystery that kept you turning the pages, wanting to understand what was going on. As the story unfolds, page after page, you are slowly t
Julie
May 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Julie by: CFBA
Many thanks to Karen Ukraine for the Hachette Book Group for providing a copy for review!

Dark, very dark novel about a young woman who is trying to find herself in midst of crisis. Through a weird, disjointed series of events, she finds herself traveling all over the country seeking something she has no idea she needs.

I can't particularly say that I enjoyed this book. I barely made it halfway through and then decided it might get better so I stuck it out. I'm not quite sure that "christian fict
TinaB
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
A twisty little adventure written in unique third person style (think McMann's Wake) with the same type of dark feel yet not as fragmented. It took me a few chapters to get used to Thrashers style of writing as I found some of the words very dicey, but once I got the flow down it paced along very nicely until the end. Parts of the novel especially with the supporting cast had me at times very confused and feeling lost, I didn't know if these things were for real or if I just walked into schizoph ...more
Pam
May 07, 2010 added it
Shelves: reviewed
As if the specters of her past are not enough to torment her guilt ridden soul, Laila finds herself stalked by a man bent on revenge – and using her to solve serious problems of his own. As she runs from the very real physical threat, the chase is joined by friends, foes, and family. Unfortunately, Laila is never sure if the things she sees are reality, her own imagination, or even something supernatural.

Broken is one of those books where nothing is as it seems. The fast paced plot is filled wit
Melissa
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Although Thrasher's latest book seems like a straightforward story at first, it soon becomes apparent that there are deeper spiritual meanings inside. Withholding Laila's back story is unnecessary and creates confusion when trying to sort out what is happening with the plot. The ending ties together the loose ends in a very satisfying way.
SUMMARY: After Laila commits murder in Chicago, she goes on the run and cuts off communication with her family. But now the murdered man's brother has found he
Kelli Forbes
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I love that each of his books is different enough to make me wonder early on where things are going and/or what path they'll take to get there.

I can usually identify with at least some aspect of Thrasher's characters, if not completely, and there is usually an "aha!" passage in each of his books that speaks to me in one way or another.
This book's "aha!" passage: "What would it be like to be a white page, starting from the beginning with stories untold and memories unmade? To
Lyndi
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lyndi by: Lisa I.
Some things I felt were not wrapped up that well. (like why did Laila disappear? sounded like nothing really happened that made her vanish and have no contact with her family)
This is my first book by this author, recommended by a friend. I still cannot figure out, was this supposed to be a Christian fiction? It did have a few curse words, not many, but a few.
Danielle Snyder
Jul 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Made it to page 100 and then gave up. Book was just not written in a style I enjoyed. Very disjointed, lots of flashbacks, and flashes of visions etc. Was sectioned into so many pieces just couldn't get into the story.
Niloofar
Oct 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I can not believe this book got published. I have hopes of being able to author a book if you don't need to have any experience, a good plot line, any interesting, likable characters. I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS BOOK TO ANYONE I LIKE OR DON'T LIKE.
Tee Mcdaniel
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't like it, it was so depressing all the way thru to the last few pages. I rank it up there with the book The Road. A very hard read.
Jennifer |
May 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Here is the link to my review:

Brian Tucker
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Been talking with the author, Mr. Thrasher, this week and discussing this novel. Great mystery and storytelling here. Quick and lively pacing. Check it out.
Nancy
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Was certainly not my kind of book. I like mysteries and thrillers, but this one seemed pointless and you couldn't like hardly any of the charactors. It was not a story as much as disjointed sections.
Margaret Chind
Nov 13, 2009 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Margaret by: CFBA
*Thanks to FaithWords through CFBA for providing a copy for review.*
MIllynne Brown
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not my usual genre of book but the characters are so real. Compellingly written, no "obvious" plot or ending. Must say I couldn't read before bed without being disturbed though.
Brad Molen
Sep 15, 2013
Helena Williams
rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2013
Aug 31, 2011
Kayla
Jul 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bestselling author Travis Thrasher has written over 50 books, spanning genres in fiction, nonfiction and children’s literature. His inspirational stories have included collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, athletes, celebrities and pastors.

With the childhood goal of pursuing a writing career starting in third grade, Thrasher worked for 13 years at Tyndale House Publishers after graduating co
“What would it be like to be a white page, starting from the beginning with stories untold and memories unmade? To start with a blank slate and go from there?"-Travis Thrasher, Broken” 1 likes