Start by marking “Doctor Who: Seeing I” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Seeing I

Doctor Who: Seeing I

(Eighth Doctor Adventures #12)

He has no idea why Samantha Jones ran away from him.

Sam is homeless on the streets of the colony world of Ha'olam, trying to face what's just happened between her and the Doctor. He's searching for her, and for answers. While she struggles to survive in a strange city centuries from home, the Doctor comes across evidence of alien involvement in the local mega-corporation,
Paperback, 1st, 288 pages
Published June 8th 1998 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Ken
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seeing I continues the 'Sam is missing arc' that spreads over 4 novels in the Eighth Doctor Adventures.

The story starts with her looking for work and trying to settle down, whilst in the other chapters we follow The Doctor's attempts to find her.

I'd taken a bit of a break from reading the EDA's, some of the previous titles had become a bit of a chore. But this satisfying story conclusion has rejuvenated my enjoyment of the range.

Both Sam and The Doctor's characters were well developed here, I go
Akiva
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My feelings about this book are, approximately, "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!"

Yes, it's because of what happens to the Doctor and Sam, and their emotional development (which is wonderfully written, there's a reason people tell you this is the best book in the series, they are completely correct), but lezbehonest, there are also three other reasons I completely lost it over this one:

* JEWS IN SPACE. The planet's called Ha'Olam, and I liked that when it was name-dropped in Dreamstone Moon. But lo, Sam's room
Em
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
The best of the eighth Doctor novels so far.
Although I was at first tempted to continue skimming through Sam's story, I quickly was captivated by it. Sam grows up in this one (finally). I think I actually find her tolerable now.
The Doctor's character journey was both thrilling and terrifying.
A future re-read for me.
If you love the Doctor, read it.
Mary JL
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Doctor Who fans' most sf fans as well even if not usually Who fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: Book review on a Dr. who site
The BBC Books imprint of the Doctor who Books focuses on longer books, a bit more adult than the Tv adaptations, and like any series of books, some are better than others.

The especially interesting thing about this book is the psychological stress on the Doctor in this situation. The Doctor usually wins and wins quickly--here he is imprisoned and really struggling to keep his mental "balance". I won't spoil it further with details. It is one of the best Dr. Who Novel's I have read and I've read
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
One of the most intense books of the early 8th Doctor canon...and one that completely and totally deconstructs the Doctor by stripping him of everything he is, everything he can do, and everything he THINKS he can anticipate. One of Kate Orman's (and Jon Blum's) greatest contributions to the Doctor Who canon.
Nenya
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who, favorites
Absolutely wrenching. My top favourite Doctor Who novel so far. Another novel where Sam and Eight spend most of their time apart, but this time I was drawn into both their plots so deeply that it almost didn't matter--though I was so relieved at the final rescue. (view spoiler) ...more
Michael
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who, review
I'd say that it's a little late in the series to suddenly decide 'Oh, dear shouldn't we develop the characters a bit'. Anybody not satisfied with the cardboard cut-out angst-girl and the puppy-dog-Doctor who likes repeating people's names machine gun fashion, has probably already given up on the series. I've been tempted many times myself but I still cling to the dictum: 'Things can only get better.'
The Doctor is still searching for Sam. His chunk of the novel is rather good. The Doctor v. bure
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it liked it

I thought this was a rather good Eighth Doctor novel, with the Doctor and Sam finally reuniting after three years in which Sam becomes an environmental activist and basically grows up, while the Doctor is held in a very creepy and nasty prison. I was one of many Old Who fans who took a while to get used to the romance element between the companions and the Doctor in New Who, but here is an example of it being worked rather well into the narrative.
Ian
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
John Reed
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This Arc, where Sam is stuck on this planet for YEARS, is my fave of the 8th doctor adventures so far. Finally, a series that isn't afraid to write consequences into their stories.
Christopher Buchanan
A lot to love here. The failed domestication of Sam. A prison that actually can hold the Doctor. A really good, solidly paranoid story. And an ending that gets quite cerebral. Loved it.
Olya
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The way Jonathan Blum and Kate Orman write the Eighth Doctor and Sam is truly my favourite among all the EDA so far ♥
Angela
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Doctor is still looking for Sam. Meanwhile, Sam is finally getting a normal life on an alien planet. Think about one of the worse things that could happen to the Doctor, being restricted to one room forever. This is a very clever story and the author really puts the characters through the ringer. It is quite emotional to see the Doctor so vulnerable, and you feel for him. I'm not sure that this would be a good starting point to the 8th Doctor books though. A very good read.
N
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, doctor-who
Absolutely wonderful. I enjoyed every single moment of this book. Especially nice was the unexpected connection to the later novel "The Infinity Doctors" (Past Doctor Adventures series), which draws heavily on this story.

Sam's character development is brilliant and if she hadn't already been one of my favourite companions, she'd be listed among them after this.
Christopher Hatch
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable book overall. I liked the first two thirds more than the conclusion however.
T.E.
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a classic

Not a classy c, but a capable and entertaining story. Grand on s ale, but at times not as engaging as it could have been.
Graham Pilato
  • Doctor Who: Time Zero
  • Doctor Who: History 101
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Planet 5
  • Doctor Who: Frontier Worlds
Jonathan Blum is the author of several Doctor Who novels and Big Finish audios. He currently lives in Australia with his wife Kate Orman.

Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors