Start by marking “Magnolia Wednesdays” as Want to Read:
Magnolia Wednesdays

Magnolia Wednesdays

From the author of The Accidental Bestseller comes a wonderfully entertaining book about what to do when life comes at you full swing.

At forty-one, Vivian Armstrong Gray's life as an investigative journalist is crumbling. Humiliated after taking a bullet in her backside during an exposé, Vivi learns that she's pregnant, jobless, and very hormonal. This explains why she say
Published March 2nd 2010 by Berkley Books (first published January 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Magnolia Wednesdays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnolia Wednesdays

Ashley Deniz
Dec 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
this book was painful. There are not many books I have disliked more than this one. the characters were not likeable, I hated the story line and I detest women who do not tell the father of a child that there is a child. Only read it for book club, took me forever, could not force myself to read it but finally did and I am glad I did for book club but I never want to read another book by Wendy Wax, sorry.
One of the best things about being a blogger is discovering new authors that I have not heard of before. When I was asked to review Wendy Wax's novel Magnolia Wednesdays, I jumped at the chance. This book is right up my alley. As soon as I started reading it, I was hooked. The characters are so richly portrayed and drawn out. The plot moved steadily and all loose ends were wrapped up nicely. I actually tried to read this book as slowly as possible because I wanted to savor each and every word on ...more
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Vivien Armstrong Gray was covering one of the biggest stories when things went terribly wrong and Vivien ended up getting shot in the butt. After this incident, Vivien has become the butt of everyone’s jokes. Vivien needs a break, so she heads down to stay with her sister, Melanie and her two children, Sheila and Trip.

Vivien soon realizes things aren’t always as they seem in the suburbs. Vivien comes up with the idea to write a news column about the burbs. She calls it Postcards from Suburbia. S
Andrea
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Since my undergrad was in broadcast journalism, I am always excited to read a good story about a journalist. If it has a chick-lit theme with a good plot and good characters, that's even better. And Magnolia Wednesdays was just that.

While I didn't completely connect with the main character, Vivi (although I love the teaching job that I have now, it's not my life), I definitely remember how intense broadcast journalism can be and how life-consuming it can be. I loved how Vivi grew into a warm, lo
Sara
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to like this novel and to be able to recommend as a lighter read for book club, but alas this will not do. Vivi is a smart reporter in NYC until she gets shot on a story. Humiliated as her shooting hits the net and after learning she is being replaced at work, she quits her job. She decides to return home to a sister in the South whom she no longer knows. And there she sees the lives of suburban minivan moms and writes up snotty articles making fun of their lifestyles. So, she is living i ...more
Vickie
Magnolia Wednesdays is the first book I have ever read by Wendy Wax, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Vivien Armstrong Gray is a Southerner at heart whether she realizes it or not. When her life as a investigative journalist in NYC spins out of control, she heads home to her sister in Georgia where Vivian attempts to blend her old life into her new life.

I look forward to reading more by Wendy Wax.

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Erin
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Yawn inducing predictable, minus one surprise. Total joke that they feel the need a Reader's Guide in the back, as the book has the same depth as a kiddie pool.

If I have to say something nice, I will say that I want those purple strappy sandals on the cover.
Stepher
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I nearly stopped reading in the first few pages. I kept stumbling over the awkward metaphors and the sprawling run-on sentences. Here are a few examples.

“ it was 10 PM on a muggy September night when Vivian pressed her self into a doorway in a darkened corner of the Wall Street parking garage a few feet away from where a source had told her an FBI financial agent posing as a large institutional investor was going to pay off a debt ridden commodities trader.”

“Crouched beside her cameramen, Marty
lisa butler
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

I read this book while visiting the south. I enjoyed reading about all of the real issues happening to all of the generations.
Melody
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I totally enjoyed reading Wendy Wax's previous novel, The Accidental Bestseller so when the publicist asked if I wanted to review her latest release, Magnolia Wednesdays, I said yes without hesitation.

While The Accidental Bestseller tells the story of a writer's life, this time around Magnolia Wednesdays allows readers to get a glimpse of the life of a journalist and I have to say I totally loved the setting as I have always been intrigued by this profession (and not to mention I am in awe of j
Laurel-Rain
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wendy Wax has magically turned "Magnolia Wednesdays" into one of those homey, cozy, and totally intriguing peeks into the Southern way of life. For a woman who thought she'd totally escaped that world, Vivien Armstrong Gray finds herself suddenly catapulted back there when she is shot in the derriere while investigating a story. When the video ends up on You-Tube, and her employers think she needs to take a step back and they bring in an "understudy" for her to train, she quits.

Huffily, she take
Kathleen
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
The opening pages of “Magnolia Wednesdays” set the stage for Vivien Armstrong Gray’s personal and professional life to unravel. With smart dialogue, entertaining circumstances, typical of Wendy Wax’s novels, the story quickly drew me in. Pregnant, humiliated by a video of herself gone viral on YouTube, and jobless, Vivi returns to her widowed sister’s home in Georgia to figure out her next steps.

The sister, Melanie, has opened a dance studio, a venue which allows the reader to meet a number of c
Macwolf01 [Elise]
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I'd actually give this book 3 1/2 stars but it won't let me. I really like Wendy Wax's writing style and the book was a quick easy read. This story bounces back and forth from the perspectives of 2 sisters. Vivi gets shot in the bum, quits her job in an emotional explosion and then finds out she's pregnant. She heads down to live with her widowed sister and her two teens.

~~~SPOILER~~~
My only complaint with this book is that NO ONE is so completely self delusional about their own life as Vivi is
Diane Donnell
Aug 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Did not finish, do not recommend.

I had some serious housecleaning to do and wanted a light, fun audio book to listen to. This one was available on the library Hoopla app, so I downloaded and started cleaning. I listened to about 3.5 hours and gave up. It's soooo bad. The protagonist becomes unexpectedly pregnant, and does not tell the father. Also, she uses being pregnant to sleep all the time and eat tons of food. She wasn't actually sick, just acted helpless. Drove me crazy. Hello, most people
Julia
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Vivien Armstrong Gray is reaching that certain decade in broadcast journalism that can be a little difficult to breach. As one of her investigative pieces winds up more popular on You Tube and her body is becoming a hormonal mess, Vivi heads home to Georgia. This suburban life of her sister Melanie is very foreign to Vivi, but the sisters adult relationship eventually begins to flourish. Many of the nuances of any Southern novel are here, but Wax does a gentle job with her characters and they ar ...more
Lynnie
Mar 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library, unfinished
If I can't finish it, it only gets one star. It might have been better than that, but to be honest, I don't care. I'm about halfway through & the characters are pretty useless, boring & one-dimensional. The trajectory of the book is predictable. I'm pretty sure I have the whole "mystery" of JJ & Clay figured out (& if I don't, I don't care that I'm wrong). I'm just not interested in picking up the book up & read any further so I won't spend another moment trying to inspire my ...more
Caryn
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5. I felt this book dragged and was slow to begin. It all wrapped up in one fell swoop at the same time. I've definitely read better women's fiction.
April
Jul 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
nope nope nope. I really tried. I did. I couldn't take it any more.
Kelly
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
The best part of the book was that it was set around East Cobb and so much was close to home. Both the locations and many of the situations were way too familiar. Light reading
Alicia Jones
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have any really high hopes, but was enchanted by the characters. I loved this book!
Alicia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
As if being shot in the rear end while filming a news story isn’t enough, Vivien Armstrong is shocked to find out that she is (at 41) pregnant. But even more shocked to find herself agreeing to work undercover writing a column about what it is like to be a mom in the wealthy suburbs of Atlanta. Not to mention those suburbs are her hometown, complete with her widowed sister, niece, and nephew.

Vivien, writing as an outsider looking in, has no idea that her column will become an instant success. Sh
Jane F. McGill
It just ended.

I wanted to like the character of Vivian and to root for her and yet I couldn’t. She couldn’t tell the father of her baby, whom she loved, that he was going to be a dad and she deprived him of seeing his baby born. That action alone kept me from connecting with her. She also didn’t tell him about her new job. Really? This is the man she loves and she won’t tell him about this writing gig?

There was a smaller character of Andrea (I think that’s her name) who was fat and then lost we
Cathy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this would be just another mindless yet enjoyable bit of fluff before a reserved digital library book can in. Instead, it surprisingly turned out to be a bit more while still being fluff that I expected.
Vivienda, a single 40 something award-winning investigative tv journalist, gets shot in the butt during a story gone awry and becomes the “butt” of many jokes at her expense in her professional world. Upon learning that she is unexpectedly pregnant and that her boss has secretly hired a
Elaine Bain
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprised

A great story. Moves fast with turns and surprised again. A woman that learns the hard way. Story of sisters and honesty. Loved Vivin she was funny at times,lost at times. Well worth reading. Every one needs a Evangeline in their life.. She makes the story flow.A underhanded newspaper reported that you just can't wait to see him get what's coming to him.Finally a reporter that learns the story you need to write may not always be the one you choose to write.
Ichiban186
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Kathy Alexander
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. 2 sisters and their relationship. Melanie lost her husband in accidental shooting on hunting trip. Vivi quit her investigative job in NY to move to ATL with her sister, only to find out she's pregnant.
Jenny
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Karen Ostrom-von trott
Great read

I was looking for something fun and easily entertaining. I got a whole lot more than I expected. Fun and entertaining, but also though provoking and jarring. Life takes us to do many places, we sometimes forget what lead us there!
Jane Carlson
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a fan of any of the characters including the teen kids
Judith Keim
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story!

Wendy Wax has done it again, A wonderfully warm feel good story about family and friendship and the healing power of love
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Summer in the South
  • The Tender Mercy of Roses
  • The Book of Peach
  • Bound South
  • Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter (Dixie, #1)
  • When Light Breaks
  • Savannah from Savannah
  • The Sweet By and By
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Sufficient Grace
  • Crossing Washington Square
  • And Not a Penny More (Bay Tanner, #2)
  • The Richest Season
  • Wedding Belles
  • Madame Mirabou's School of Love
  • Southern Living
  • The Summer We Came to Life
  • Last Light Over Carolina
I write novels that explore friendship, self-discovery and the challenges life brings us, leavened with a touch of humor. I'm proud of all my books and perhaps best known for my "Ten Beach Road" titles including the USA Today bestsellers, Ten Beach Road and The House on Mermaid Point, and for While We Were Watching Downton Abbey.

I was born in St.Petersburg, Florida and grew up on St. Pete Beach wi