Start by marking “Doctor Who: Dreamstone Moon” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Dreamstone Moon

Doctor Who: Dreamstone Moon (Eighth Doctor Adventures #11)

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Sam is on her own, but her distance from the Doctor doesn’t make for a trouble-free life. Rescued from an out-of-control spaceship, she finds herself on a tiny moon which is the only known source of dreamstone, a mysterious crystalline substance that can preserve your dreams -- or give you nightmares.

Pitched into the middle of a conflict between the mining company extracti
Published April 28th 1998 by BBC Books (first published April 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

N
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, english
A very nice novel. Very alien, and surreal at times, with a focus on diversity and compassion. None of the characters are villains in the traditional sense — everyone in this book is motivated by fear, or by wanting to protect what's important to them. I really liked that. Also, the majority of humans featured have dark skin. Very cool, especially since it was written quite a while ago.

It's really more of a Sam Jones novel than a Doctor Who novel, which I found a welcome change after her comple
Olya
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down, really - didn't have an opportunity to finish it in one sit, but still, came pretty close to me. And I honestly don't know why I like this book so much... Why it has gone way better for me than, like, three or four previous books in the series. The tension, I guess? And the plot. And the writing. And the rooting for the Doctor and Sam who just keep trying to get together again and this is so frustrating and heartbreaking, urgh!

Thank you, Paul Leonard. I planned to dive bac
Iwaswondering
Interesting plot

Dreamstone Moon was an enjoyable read. It is not one of the better Doctor Who books. The Doctor plays a minor role in the book. The story feels stretched to fill pages.
Tosh Reed
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another one of the 8th Doctor adventures that is just great sci-fi.
This series of books, added to the audio adventures from Big Finish, were what made the 8th Doctor MY Doctor.
Michael
This one wasn't terrible, but neither was it particularly *good*. It was a step up for author Paul Leonard from his previous EDA entry, Genocide. Unlike the first book of the three-book sequence featuring the Doctor's search for Sam, Sam actually got to be a part of this story. In a major way, no less. Which all-in-all wound up meaning the author went to sometimes ridiculous lengths to make sure Sam and the Doctor would not reunite early. It actually got silly at times.

Since the previous EDA boo
Melyssa
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: whoniverse
What's the matter with you? Are you normally like this, or just temporarily suicidal?

Ne pas aimer un compagnon, ça n'est jamais bien grave: c'est Doctor Who, on trouve toujours autre chose à se mettre sous la dent. Sauf dans ces cas où le Docteur est majoritairement absent et où on se concentre principalement sur le compagnon. Deux tiers de livre avec Sam qui, comme toujours, est bien trop impulsive pour faire marcher sa tête, Sam qui, comme toujours, s'enfuit avec les gentils écolos qui veulent
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok

The next Eighth Doctor Adventure in sequence after Longest Day (and the parenthesis of Legacy of the Daleks). A fairly standard romp - exploitation of alien planet (turns out the dreamstones of the title are similar to the rocks in Sherri S Tepper's 1987 novel After Long Silence / The Enigma Score), with the wrinkle that the Doctor and Sam are apart for almost the entire book and remain parted at the end. There is one memorable tentacular alien character
Michael
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who, review
'Then the Doctor's dead,` whispered Sam.
I try to stifle another involuntary groan before any of the nearby holiday makers stir from their sunbeds to ask if I need medical attention.
The book's not half bad, with more than a hint of Outland about it, but whereas Sean Connery helped to give that film a gritty edge, Dreamstone Moon has to rely on Sam Jones. She gets a huge chunk of the book and, as has happened in too many of the books in the range, just drags the book down. Book to book, author t
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Years ago, I skipped over this novel in the "Sam is missing" arc of the BBC's Eighth Doctor line. I was rushing to read the bigger, concluding story...and as a result, I missed the forest for the trees. This is surprisingly action-packed, full of fascinating non-humanoid characters, and features a beautiful depiction of a frustrated, melancholy Paul McGann Doctor. It's an overlooked gem that deserves far more praise.
Nenya
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Great Sam voice in this one (I love Sam!) but I spent the whole thing on edge waiting for her and Eight to get back together. I really love Doctor/companion interaction and hated that they had to be separated. But I see that gets resolved in the next book or two. One of the first times I realized that this series is actually one long interconnected tale, like a TV show; it does actually matter if you read them in order!
Andrew
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
the eighth doctor adventures continue,this one is against the backdrop of a mining planet..a premise that features fairly regularly in Doctor Who adventures.
It was an enjoyable enough read of the mining of a stone used to facilitate dreams but in some ways it felt laboured...once the idea was there and the fact that the planets consciousness rebelled against the miners well that was about it.
The resolution seemed rushed after the build up...not a terrible novel all told ...just not the best.
Angela
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Sam and the Doctor are still separated. She lands on a planet and joins an eco protest against the mining of dreamstones. The Doctor arrives as miners are getting killed. This is one of those books that has a slow start, building the world and the characters. Once the monster turns up the plot moves quickly and is quite enjoyable. It becomes a proper monster Dr Who story. A good read.
Christopher Hatch
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Compared to the previous book in the series, Legacy of the Daleks, then this book was a masterpiece of SciFi fiction.

Compared to other books it was fine. I enjoyed it enough, it had some interesting ideas but didn't set the world alight.

Possibly it could have been a bit sharper but it wasn't a long read.
Bronwen
Feb 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, tv
I enjoyed the first half better than the second: the description of life on the inhabited planet rather than all the stuff at the end. I also liked the dreamstone concept. I'd give this a 3.5 overall but I'm being generous. :)
Andy
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 8
A well written story bringing in lots of new species and some good characters, not sure about the Doctor switching backwards and forwards so much emotionally and I felt like the ending was a bit rushed after a very detailed first 2/3 of the book but definitely a good read
Levi Amichai
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I think my favorite part of this one was Sam learning the quantitative science of activism in the 22nd century. I need that crash course, and I know a lot of other people who would really like to bone up on "Interorganisational Relations Theory" and "Protest Management."
Em
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
A good read, although I admit I skimmed through the Sam parts to read more about the Doctor. She's not my favorite companion.
Simon Curtis
  • Doctor Who: Camera Obscura
  • Doctor Who: Placebo Effect
  • Doctor Who: Autumn Mist
  • Doctor Who: History 101
Paul J. Leonard Hinder, better known by his pseudonym of Paul Leonard and also originally published as PJL Hinder, is an author best known for his work on various spin-off fiction based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.

Leonard has acknowledged a debt to his friend and fellow Doctor Who author Jim Mortimore in his writing career, having turned to Mortimore fo
More about Paul Leonard

Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors
  • Doctor Who: Option Lock
  • Doctor Who: Longest Day
  • Doctor Who: Legacy of the Daleks

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99