Start by marking “Doctor Who: Kursaal” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Kursaal

Doctor Who: Kursaal

(Eighth Doctor Adventures #7)

3.01  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Kursaal is a pleasure world, a huge theme park for the Cronus system — or rather it will be if it isn't destroyed during construction.

Eco-terrorists want the project halted to preserve vital archaeological sites -- areas containing the last remains of the long-dead Jax, an ancient wolf-like race whose remains are being buried beneath the big-business tourist attractions.

Sa
Paperback, 1st, 288 pages
Published January 5th 1998 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Jacob Webb
May 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well, well, well.
I got rather far with this one, I even had hopes of finishing it but as auntie Vanessa said ‘if you stop enjoying it, give it up’. And the fact is, whenever i started enjoying this one i stopped again pretty soon.
Don’t get me wrong, this is easily the best of the weak EDAs so far, and comes close to being one of the good ones, but it just lacks charm. The environmentalist angle, which would probably have felt pleasingly right-on in a TV story, just seems heavy handed and preachy
James Barnard
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A quiet, unpretentious novel, this one. The hook for readers – werewolves – is, in the best traditions of horror stories, mainly kept to the background, so the focus is on the politicking between guest characters.

This is probably the most definite attempt to create a novel which could have fitted the TV series – limited sets, a relatively small cast of characters, a great deal left to the imagination, and the inevitable transformations seemingly of a similar style to that seen in the TV serial ‘
Maj
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Stream of consciousness review:

Well, reading this book was a bit of a battle.
Some passages were tedious and never-ending, some were a quick read.
The author over-used the word "undulate" & its variations around the middle of the book.

I'm not sure if I'm down with this series describing the Eight as tall. Why. Not all Doctors are tall, certainly not the first 2 ones, definitely not Seven. Eight is on par with First, a bit sub-average. No shame in that. But why would you call him tall - now, th
Shannon Appelcline
An entirely "meh" Eighth Doctor Adventure. It could have been an old Who TV adventure, but if so it would have been that adventure that everyone forgot about within a few weeks.

The biggest problem is a lack of dramatic tension, because it's clearly a novel about werewolves (see the COVER!!!), but the author tries to pretend it's not about werewolves for half the length of the novel. A big "twist" in the latter half of the novel is telegraphed just as horribly.

There's also very little characteriz
Samuel Rooke
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Following up Alien Bodies was always going to be a monumental task. I guess, to its credit, Kursaal isn’t an embarrassment like The Eight Doctors or War of the Daleks. It’s not a particular success though.

The Eighth Doctor’s memory being a story point, werewolves, science-fiction settings, Sam getting a story with environmentalist elements, all fine enough Doctor Who ideas, Eighth Doctor Adventures ideas, not executed in a terrible way, but certainly nowhere near the memorability of Alien Bodie
Peer Lenné
Sep 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Kursaal enttäuscht leider auf ganzer Linie - und das nicht nur, weil es direkt auf Alien Bodies folgte.
In den ersten zwei Dritteln passiert eigentlich, außer der Vorstellung ziemlich klischeehafter Figuren und schlecht geschriebener Actionsequenzen, nichts. Der darauf folgende 15-Jahre-später-Twist macht das Buch kurzzeitig etwas interessanter aber auch das verliert sich schon wieder nach wenigen Seiten.
Ganz schlimm ist dann auch noch die völlig übereilte Auflösung und das an Klischees nicht meh
Christopher Buchanan
The story to this could have been quite enjoyable so long as you try not to expect it to be anything more than a Doctor Who story about werewolves. I mean, werewolves. Come on, right? How much can you expect, really? But anyway, some serious writing glitches just took me completely out of it. First off, there were some really confusing transitions. The setting or situation would just change very suddenly without much to mark it and I would find myself rereading trying to sort it. Secondly, there ...more
Melyssa
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: whoniverse
Comme dirait l'autre, ces EDAs sont comme une boite de chocolat. Et si Kursaal n'est pas non plus celui à la liqueur que je vais recracher aussitôt, ça n'est définitivement pas non plus le meilleur du lot.

Et puis il est frustrant, surtout. Parce que les points moyennement, voire pas du tout intéressant on droit à des pages et des pages et des chapitres entiers... et les points qui vraiment pourraient être passionnants sont bazardés en un paragraphe - vraiment, sans exagérer, les plus gros noeuds
Michael
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
After the trainwreck that was Alien Bodies, this was a wonderful change of pace. Kursaal is an unfortunate-named book -- the name is the planet-sized themepark being built during the majority of the novel -- but the story was quite fun.

Kursaal introduces a Monster of the Week straight out of Earth mythology; and I for one am quite pleased to see werewolves added to the Doctor Who mythos. And as appropriate for a story about good horror movie fare, the body count is quite high. I admit, I have re
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok

The Eighth Doctor Adventures, having tried vampires a bit earlier, now switch to werewolves - though werewolves on a distant planet which is being exploited by ruthless industrialists trying to turn it into a tourist resort. The werewolf bits are memorably nasty and scary; there is a somewhat clichéd but basically endearing tough cop who has to work out the mystery and also what the Doctor and Sam are doing; I wasn't totally convinced by the political se
Michael
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, review
Fairly enjoyable romp that somehow manages to maintain a dark and dangerous mood alongside the usual frivolous antics of this Doctor. Security chief Kadijk almost steals the show and Sam isn't quite as annoying as usual. The Jax are an interesting stab at putting a new slant on the old werewolf legend. I'm still waiting for a truly outstanding Eighth Doctor tale in this range and Kursaal isn't it but it's better than much of the competition to date.
Angela
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
The Doctor meets werewolves, ok they are alien werewolves but still quite gothic. The Doctor and Sam land on a pleasure planet a few years too early when they are still constructing it. And people are dying. This is a fun but gruesome read. Lots of running about, and being falsely accused. A good read.
Victoria
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting little romp for the first 3/4s but the last chunk was less interesting, fun and unnecessary. It seemed like it was only added to bring the book up to length and the story could have lived without it. Sam is getting more annoying too.
Bronwen
Feb 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, tv
I struggled to get through this one. It was alright but I felt a lot of it was set in the same underground area which wasn't especially engaging.
MC
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Took me forever to finish this one, I just couldn't get into the story. Not my favorite, unfortunately.
Wes Herbst
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one until it was over, and even then I only liked it a bit.

It made me imagine what it would have been like if Robert Heinlein had written an episode of Scooby-Doo.
Nenya
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
One of the few werewolf books I have enjoyed. Lots of dashing about and Sam/Eight adventuring.
Simon Curtis
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
Good Doctor Who fare. On rereading the range Sam isn't as strong as I remembered, not at this stage.
8thdoctor
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I abhor werewolf stories.So my review is biased from the start. The saving grace for me was the blond Sam/dark Sam parts. Lots of forgettable characters and a forgettable world.
AremJ
  • Doctor Who: Unnatural History
  • Doctor Who: Emotional Chemistry
  • Doctor Who: Interference - Book Two
  • Doctor Who: The Book of the Still
Anghelides' first published work was the short story "Moving On" in the third volume of the Virgin Decalog collections, which led to further short stories in the fourth collection and then in two of the BBC Short Trips collections that followed. In January 1998, his first novel Kursaal was published as part of BBC Books' Eighth Doctor Adventures series on books. Anghelides subsequently wrote two m ...more

Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors