Start by marking “Star Trek: The Original Series: Khan #3: To Reign in Hell” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: The Original Series: Khan #3: To Reign in Hell

Star Trek: The Original Series: Khan #3: To Reign in Hell (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  34 reviews
At last -- the untold chapter in the history of Star Trek's most notorious villain, KHAN. Searing and powerful, To Reign in Hell masterfully bridges the time period between Khan Noonien Singh's twenty-third-century revival in the Original Series classic episode "Space Seed" and his unforgettable return in the acclaimed feature film Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan.
What tru
Published January 4th 2005 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Forrest
This book was one of those that I find myself stuck in the pages of at three in the morning, despite needing to be at work at eight the next day.

Disclaimer: this review will mean nothing to you if you aren't a Trekkie/Trekker.

This book covers the time between the original series episode where Khan was exiled to Ceti Alpha V along with his followers and a former Starfleet officer who becomes his wife, and the second Star Trek movie: The Wrath of Khan. The book explains what Khan and his people
Shainna
I didn't enjoy the beginning. I didn't need Kirk's side mission until the end, but once Khan's story started, I enjoyed it. Cox managed to link Space Seed and Wrath of Khan together, filling in some gaps involving characters who weren't there (Chekov) and odd costume choices (the glove and the Starfleet medallion.)

I didn't agree with the characterization of Marla McGivers, nor that Khan loved her. The relationship on the Enterprise was abusive and controlling, they had no relationship that didn'
Stephen
"'No! This is not the end! Khan Noonien Singh will never surrender, not to this accursed planet and not to the treacherous vagaries of fate. Hear me now! I shall show you that the superior man never bends before the cruelties of fate, no matter how hopeless the odds. Let this entire planet die a slow and miserable death. Let Kirk and Starfleet forget us entirely. I will keep you and the rest of my people alive -- this I swear upon my sacred honor.'
He shook his fist at the dust-shrouded sky.
'Do
Patrick
May 01, 2011 Patrick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic Trek fans and fans of Khan Noonien Singh in particular
All in all an interesting read for fans of the character. Cox makes great strides to try to fill in as many gaps as possible. He comes up with reasons for the glove (a good story, though I prefer it up to the viewer), the starfleet medallion, his closeness to Joachim, and so on. All told in a logically acceptable fashion. Nothing really jumps as a stretch, and perhaos the only question raised is that if they lived underground, why all the furnishings in the cargo bay? Perhaps the only real compl ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Greg Cox brings Khan's story to a close with a dramatic novel of his exile by Kirk, as referenced in "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan". The novel follows Cox's "Eugenics Wars" -duology, but is very different in style to those complex novels that charm with their broad settings and themes. "To Reign in Hell" is a streamlined and subtle tale of a protosociety trying to survive in impossible conditions.

Cox's writing is mostly up for the challenge of creating a plausible tale of survival, the cha
Felicia
Arg!! Come on, you have to write a really crappy Star Trek book for me to not enjoy reading it. However, Greg Cox managed to do just that. He took a great idea, add next to no knowledge of the Star Trek universe and a liberal sprinkling of contemporary references, and produced a piece of crap that I could only get through one hundred pages of.

The most annoying bit was the author's mistaken assumption that the 1996 Earth that Khan came from was our world with our timeline. This, combined with cra
Stiv_Matters
Sep 19, 2008 Stiv_Matters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Star Trek
Greg Cox wrote the excellent books "The Eugenics Wars" parts 1 and 2 which told the story of Khan from conception all the way to his departure from Earth on the Botany Bay. Now "To Reign In Hell" fills the gap between the time The Enterprise dropped him and his followers on Ceti Alpha V to the beginning of the movie "Star Trek II". Author Greg Cox has the writing skills and knowledge of the world of Star Trek to craft an exciting and satisfying story. The writing leans toward the melodramatic bu ...more
Michael
This was the third and final book in Cox's trilogy chronicling the "Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh."

I thoroughly enjoyed this series - it was a true treat for a Trekkie/Trekker with vast knowledge of the many episodes and movies spanning 5 TV shows and (at the time) ten films. Cox wove so many little elements and details together in his wonderful retcon of both the Star Trek universe and our own real world.

I preferred the first two books; they involved much more humor, fun, intricate connec
Robotribble
Aug 31, 2007 Robotribble rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies. Nobody else.
Let me enlighten you all with my opening statement:

I am NOT a Trekkie.

I enjoy the first series

And the second two movies.

That's all.

This book was given to me by my friend Sarah before she left [HER father, however, is a hardcore Trekkie. he owns all sorts of Star Trek books and DVDs, and they were giving stuff away so that they would have less weight to move with them.] for Japan, and it took me a couple of months before I finally got around to reading it. I'd suggest watching the Star Trek Episo
Steve
While I realize that this book is constrained by the content of the movie, as well as the TV episode, it still felt rather bleak, and a struggle to connect the dots. There wasn't really a climax per say, and most of the action happens in the movie, but it did give a plausible, if rather depressing description of the intervening years.
Clark Hallman
To Reign In Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox somewhat disappointing to me. Although the book enabled the reader to experience the superhuman Khan during his exile, I did not see the proud master of his destiny on Ceti Alpha V. Instead I endured his gruesome reduction to a victim struggling to cope with environmental chaos and human treachery. I admit that the book included plenty of action, uncontrollable violent situations, and a fascinating environment that held my interest. M ...more
Melvin Patterson
Not a bad read. When you know how the story must necessarily end it does take a little punch out of the story. But the story itself was interesting in fill out the whole Khan story arc and movie trilogy. I'm glad I read it.
Lex
Although this is Book 3 of The Eugenics Wars, it stands alone as its own book, in my opinion: there are references to the Wars, but there is enough info that you don't need to have necessarily read the other two. Fun read, nice to contrast against Space Seed and TWOK.
Michael
Having the details of the experiences of Khan and his followers on Ceti Alpha 5 put the events of Star Trek II in a different perspective. It's one thing to mention their hardships in a quick dialog, and another entirely to live out the terror and destruction along side them. It goes a long way to humanizing the super-humans.
I enjoyed this book the most of the three, and I felt like the writing and storytelling was superior here to the two previous books. Greg Cox does an excellent job of bring
Kevin C
Having been a Star Trek fan forever, I found this to be a very good book that fits in nicely with the storyline before (TOS Episode 'Space Seed') and after (Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan). It actually cleared up some loose end questions that came up during the movie! For example, now I know how Khan knew of the Klingon proverb that 'revenge is a dish best served cold' when he never would have had the chance to meet a Klingon! Very nice work.
Amy
Mar 17, 2011 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Monika
Shelves: science-fiction
This book makes me so happy! It stays pretty darn true to Star Trek, mentioning episodes and staying absolutely consistent with the movies.

I absolutely hate the Ceti Eels and understand why Khan hates Kirk. I don't think Kirk meant to harm anyone, but I can understand why Khan hates him.

I never thought I'd understand how Khan felt... Wow.

(Monika, you need to read this. Just saying.)
Astrila
May 05, 2011 Astrila rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies
Recommended to Astrila by: Book I of series
Shelves: read-fiction
A fun, quick read. I would say for Trekkies only. It's full of fun references. I think Khan must be my all-time favorite trek character, and the book stays fairly true to him. To be honest I was hoping it would be a little steamy (I'm sure I'm not the only one swooning during Space Seed!) but it's not at all. Recommended though.
Christopher Lutz
Probably the best Star Trek novel I have ever read. The story of Kahn and his people living on Ceti Alpha V is very entertaining and fascinating. The story is also very tragic and you see the reasons why Kahn hates Kirk as much as he does. The death of Kahn's wife, Marla McGivers, was very well done and lived up to my expectations.
Charles
I enjoyed this quite a lot, but I'm a big Star Trek Fan. The writing was solid, although I might not have enjoyed it so much if I hadn't already wanted to read about the character of Khan and about the time on Ceti Alpha V. The story didn't disappoint in that way, though. Three and a half stars.
Kerry
This is a worthy companion to the Eugenics Wars book. The novel documents the time period between "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan" answering most (if not all) the questions. Cox's keeps the characters alive. We understand Khan. We recognize his charisma. In fact, we almost get to like him.
Mark
Greg Cox concludes, or maybe just continues, the story of Khan with this account of his years on Ceti Alpha V. Cox has written a series of fascinating books detailing late twentieth century according to Trek. This is an exceptional addition.

Published in hardcover by Pocket Books.
Christopher Dodds
I really enjoyed this book and found it difficult to put down once I started reading it. The character of Khan has been greatly expanded on from both in Space Seed and in the Wrath of Khan, I especially liked how he and the rest of his people survived on the planet as well.
Read1000books
Of all the Star Trek books I've read, this one is the best. However, to appreciate it, you need to watch the original series episode "Space Seed", then the movie "The Wrath Of Khan". This book starts as the episode ends and concludes just as the movie begins.
Bret Jones
Sep 24, 2008 Bret Jones rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Recommended to Bret by: saw on shelf at bookstore
Greg Cox once again spins a great tale of the life of Star Trek's Khan Noonien Singh. This story takes place during Khan's exile between the Original Series television episode "Space Seed" and the second movie "Star Trek II: The Wraith of Khan."
Jeremy
Feb 25, 2009 Jeremy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
The two "Eugenics War" books are much better than this novel, also by Greg Cox. I was expecting more from this book. Disappointed in the story line and lack of excitement I felt with other stories about Kahn. Thumbs Down! :(
Deranged Pegasus
An intriguing introduction that skips over the movie and episode only to blend back into the movie at the end. It is incredible what Khan and his people lives through.
Benjamin Plume
Excellent. This makes you understand one of the most infamous Trek characters in a way you never expected. Very well put together and thought provoking.
Wendell
A fill in the blank book about Khan on Seta Alpha Six. He over-abuses the comparative metaphor by relating things back to Star Trek episodes and movies.
Brian
Great background story for what happened between the TV episode and the movie. Enhances the fast that Wrath of Khan is the best TOS movie
Patrick Nichol
A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. It also humanizes Khan somewhat. A daunting feat indeed!
  • The Flaming Arrow (Star Trek: New Earth, #4)
  • Sanctuary
  • Future Imperfect (Star Trek: Janus Gate, #2)
  • Challenger (Star Trek: New Earth #6)
  • Epiphany (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #3)
  • The Children of Kings
  • McCoy: The Provenance Of Shadows (Star Trek: Crucible, #1)
  • Burning Dreams
  • Excelsior: Forged in Fire
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Inception
  • Ex Machina (Star Trek)
  • The Joy Machine
  • Crossroad
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Well of Souls (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2336)

Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars (3 books)
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)
  • The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 2: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #2)
Underworld (Underworld, #1) Q-Space (Star Trek: The Next Generation #47; The Q Continuum, #1) The Dark Knight Rises: The Official Novelization The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1) Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)