Start by marking “Star Trek: The Original Series: Khan #3: To Reign in Hell” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: The Original Series: Khan #3: To Reign in Hell

Star Trek: The Original Series: Khan #3: To Reign in Hell (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars #3)

At last -- the untold chapter in the history of Star Trek's most notorious villain, KHAN. Searing and powerful, To Reign in Hell masterfully bridges the time period between Khan Noonien Singh's twenty-third-century revival in the Original Series classic episode "Space Seed" and his unforgettable return in the acclaimed feature film Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan.
What tru
Published January 4th 2005 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Forrest
Jun 01, 2009 Forrest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-read
This book was one of those that I find myself stuck in the pages of at three in the morning, despite needing to be at work at eight the next day.

Disclaimer: this review will mean nothing to you if you aren't a Trekkie/Trekker.

This book covers the time between the original series episode where Khan was exiled to Ceti Alpha V along with his followers and a former Starfleet officer who becomes his wife, and the second Star Trek movie: The Wrath of Khan. The book explains what Khan and his people
Shainna
I didn't enjoy the beginning. I didn't need Kirk's side mission until the end, but once Khan's story started, I enjoyed it. Cox managed to link Space Seed and Wrath of Khan together, filling in some gaps involving characters who weren't there (Chekov) and odd costume choices (the glove and the Starfleet medallion.)

I didn't agree with the characterization of Marla McGivers, nor that Khan loved her. The relationship on the Enterprise was abusive and controlling, they had no relationship that didn'
Stiv_Matters
Jul 28, 2008 Stiv_Matters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Star Trek
Greg Cox wrote the excellent books "The Eugenics Wars" parts 1 and 2 which told the story of Khan from conception all the way to his departure from Earth on the Botany Bay. Now "To Reign In Hell" fills the gap between the time The Enterprise dropped him and his followers on Ceti Alpha V to the beginning of the movie "Star Trek II". Author Greg Cox has the writing skills and knowledge of the world of Star Trek to craft an exciting and satisfying story. The writing leans toward the melodramatic bu ...more
Michael
Jan 14, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the third and final book in Cox's trilogy chronicling the "Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh."

I thoroughly enjoyed this series - it was a true treat for a Trekkie/Trekker with vast knowledge of the many episodes and movies spanning 5 TV shows and (at the time) ten films. Cox wove so many little elements and details together in his wonderful retcon of both the Star Trek universe and our own real world.

I preferred the first two books; they involved much more humor, fun, intricate connec
Kevin C
Nov 03, 2013 Kevin C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been a Star Trek fan forever, I found this to be a very good book that fits in nicely with the storyline before (TOS Episode 'Space Seed') and after (Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan). It actually cleared up some loose end questions that came up during the movie! For example, now I know how Khan knew of the Klingon proverb that 'revenge is a dish best served cold' when he never would have had the chance to meet a Klingon! Very nice work.
Christopher Lutz
Probably the best Star Trek novel I have ever read. The story of Kahn and his people living on Ceti Alpha V is very entertaining and fascinating. The story is also very tragic and you see the reasons why Kahn hates Kirk as much as he does. The death of Kahn's wife, Marla McGivers, was very well done and lived up to my expectations.
Kerry
Sep 19, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a worthy companion to the Eugenics Wars book. The novel documents the time period between "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan" answering most (if not all) the questions. Cox's keeps the characters alive. We understand Khan. We recognize his charisma. In fact, we almost get to like him.
Charles
I enjoyed this quite a lot, but I'm a big Star Trek Fan. The writing was solid, although I might not have enjoyed it so much if I hadn't already wanted to read about the character of Khan and about the time on Ceti Alpha V. The story didn't disappoint in that way, though. Three and a half stars.
Jesse
Dec 18, 2016 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and fast paced. From the moment I started reading, I had difficulty putting it down. If you enjoyed "Space Seed" and "Wrath of Khan," you will certainly enjoy this. The author captured the character's personalities perfectly. In fact, this SHOULD have been Star Trek V, instead of "The Final Frontier!" With the right direction, this would have won multiple Emmy's.

Highly recommended. JUST READ IT!
Tommy Verhaegen
The final (?) episode in the Khan-saga. I am not so keen on this kind of historical flash-backs, although very necessary to fill some gaps in the overall story. But i have to admit that the triple storyline grabs the reader and keeps him clustered to the end. Tension galore: Kirk, Spock and McCoy discovering what happened in the past, the actual description of the harsh and adventurous life Khan and his followers led (the bulk of the book) and the meeting with the descendants of Erikson to round ...more
Stephen
Aug 16, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, st-tos
"'No! This is not the end! Khan Noonien Singh will never surrender, not to this accursed planet and not to the treacherous vagaries of fate. Hear me now! I shall show you that the superior man never bends before the cruelties of fate, no matter how hopeless the odds. Let this entire planet die a slow and miserable death. Let Kirk and Starfleet forget us entirely. I will keep you and the rest of my people alive -- this I swear upon my sacred honor.'
He shook his fist at the dust-shrouded sky.
'Do
Benn Allen
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greg Cox brings Khan's story to a close with a dramatic novel of his exile by Kirk, as referenced in "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan". The novel follows Cox's "Eugenics Wars" -duology, but is very different in style to those complex novels that charm with their broad settings and themes. "To Reign in Hell" is a streamlined and subtle tale of a protosociety trying to survive in impossible conditions.

Cox's writing is mostly up for the challenge of creating a plausible tale of survival, the cha
Patrick
Mar 02, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic Trek fans and fans of Khan Noonien Singh in particular
All in all an interesting read for fans of the character. Cox makes great strides to try to fill in as many gaps as possible. He comes up with reasons for the glove (a good story, though I prefer it up to the viewer), the starfleet medallion, his closeness to Joachim, and so on. All told in a logically acceptable fashion. Nothing really jumps as a stretch, and perhaos the only question raised is that if they lived underground, why all the furnishings in the cargo bay? Perhaps the only real compl ...more
Felicia
Sep 18, 2008 Felicia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Arg!! Come on, you have to write a really crappy Star Trek book for me to not enjoy reading it. However, Greg Cox managed to do just that. He took a great idea, add next to no knowledge of the Star Trek universe and a liberal sprinkling of contemporary references, and produced a piece of crap that I could only get through one hundred pages of.

The most annoying bit was the author's mistaken assumption that the 1996 Earth that Khan came from was our world with our timeline. This, combined with cra
Lou Pare-Lobinske
May 19, 2016 Lou Pare-Lobinske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robotribble
Aug 31, 2007 Robotribble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies. Nobody else.
Let me enlighten you all with my opening statement:

I am NOT a Trekkie.

I enjoy the first series

And the second two movies.

That's all.

This book was given to me by my friend Sarah before she left [HER father, however, is a hardcore Trekkie. he owns all sorts of Star Trek books and DVDs, and they were giving stuff away so that they would have less weight to move with them.] for Japan, and it took me a couple of months before I finally got around to reading it. I'd suggest watching the Star Trek Episo
Clark Hallman
To Reign In Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox somewhat disappointing to me. Although the book enabled the reader to experience the superhuman Khan during his exile, I did not see the proud master of his destiny on Ceti Alpha V. Instead I endured his gruesome reduction to a victim struggling to cope with environmental chaos and human treachery. I admit that the book included plenty of action, uncontrollable violent situations, and a fascinating environment that held my interest. M ...more
Michael
Jul 23, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having the details of the experiences of Khan and his followers on Ceti Alpha 5 put the events of Star Trek II in a different perspective. It's one thing to mention their hardships in a quick dialog, and another entirely to live out the terror and destruction along side them. It goes a long way to humanizing the super-humans.
I enjoyed this book the most of the three, and I felt like the writing and storytelling was superior here to the two previous books. Greg Cox does an excellent job of bring
Brad Schanche
Jan 31, 2017 Brad Schanche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun addition to the Khan story. The first 80% of the book paints a vivid and tragic set of circumstances which show exactly how terribly Khan's exile has been. The additional information gives great new context for why Khan hates Kirk so much. I felt that the ending wrapped up a bit quickly and seemed somewhat rushed.
Amy
Jan 04, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Monika
Shelves: science-fiction
This book makes me so happy! It stays pretty darn true to Star Trek, mentioning episodes and staying absolutely consistent with the movies.

I absolutely hate the Ceti Eels and understand why Khan hates Kirk. I don't think Kirk meant to harm anyone, but I can understand why Khan hates him.

I never thought I'd understand how Khan felt... Wow.

(Monika, you need to read this. Just saying.)
Nathan
Jun 17, 2015 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While still a good book, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the two that came before it, since it no longer had the context of Earth. It details the perilous struggle of Khan and his genetically augmented people as they struggle on a world that is first very welcoming and then turned inhospitable due to the shifting of the planet's orbit.
Astrila
May 01, 2011 Astrila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies
Recommended to Astrila by: Book I of series
Shelves: read-fiction
A fun, quick read. I would say for Trekkies only. It's full of fun references. I think Khan must be my all-time favorite trek character, and the book stays fairly true to him. To be honest I was hoping it would be a little steamy (I'm sure I'm not the only one swooning during Space Seed!) but it's not at all. Recommended though.
Steve
While I realize that this book is constrained by the content of the movie, as well as the TV episode, it still felt rather bleak, and a struggle to connect the dots. There wasn't really a climax per say, and most of the action happens in the movie, but it did give a plausible, if rather depressing description of the intervening years.
Lex
Jul 02, 2014 Lex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Although this is Book 3 of The Eugenics Wars, it stands alone as its own book, in my opinion: there are references to the Wars, but there is enough info that you don't need to have necessarily read the other two. Fun read, nice to contrast against Space Seed and TWOK.
Jeremy
Feb 04, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
The two "Eugenics War" books are much better than this novel, also by Greg Cox. I was expecting more from this book. Disappointed in the story line and lack of excitement I felt with other stories about Kahn. Thumbs Down! :(
Frank
Nov 07, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes me feel sorry for Khan and helps me understand his overdeveloped sense of revenge. It also made me think better of Marla McGuivers. A good read for anyone curious about Kahn's time between Space Seed and TWOK.
Christopher Dodds
I really enjoyed this book and found it difficult to put down once I started reading it. The character of Khan has been greatly expanded on from both in Space Seed and in the Wrath of Khan, I especially liked how he and the rest of his people survived on the planet as well.
Melvin Patterson
Jun 04, 2014 Melvin Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not a bad read. When you know how the story must necessarily end it does take a little punch out of the story. But the story itself was interesting in fill out the whole Khan story arc and movie trilogy. I'm glad I read it.
Read1000books
Jul 04, 2010 Read1000books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Of all the Star Trek books I've read, this one is the best. However, to appreciate it, you need to watch the original series episode "Space Seed", then the movie "The Wrath Of Khan". This book starts as the episode ends and concludes just as the movie begins.
  • McCoy: The Provenance Of Shadows (Star Trek: Crucible, #1)
  • The Flaming Arrow (Star Trek: New Earth, #4)
  • Epiphany (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #3)
  • The Children of Kings
  • Challenger (Star Trek: New Earth #6)
  • Burning Dreams
  • Excelsior: Forged in Fire
  • Sanctuary
  • Well of Souls (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2336)
  • Future Imperfect (Star Trek: Janus Gate, #2)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Art of the Impossible (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2328-2346)
  • Republic (Star Trek: My Brother's Keeper, #1)
  • The Joy Machine
  • Crossroad
  • Ex Machina (Star Trek)

Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars (3 books)
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)
  • The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 2: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #2)