Start by marking “Star Trek” as Want to Read:
Star Trek

Star Trek (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Lightning can indeed strike twice in the same place, as THE EUGENICS WARS: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume Two proves to be every bit as exciting, entertaining, and humorous as the first volume of this saga. The second portion of this engrossing story takes the reader from the beginnings of Khan's consolidation of his power, through the events that lead to ...more
Published April 10th 2002 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Travis (Home of Reading)
The big thing that works for this book is Khan himself and the relationship between Khan and Seven. Cox does an admirable job in translating the Montobon version of Khan into book form and then working that back into a younger version of the man for the early parts of the book. The growth of the relationship between Khan and Seven and their estrangement was also really well done. You can feel the tension between the two men and the pull of their past friendship. Overall the entire cast of charac ...more
Donald Kirch
Great book! As stated, Star Trek is a "guilty pleasure." Upon reading this series, I can understand the series episode "Space Seed" so much clearer. But, then again, most "trekkers" knew that there was more to Kahn than there appeared.
Stephen
Having seized power in India and cultivated a network of spies and yes-men who will do his bidding throughout Asia, genetically engineered and predestined ruler of the world Khan Noonien Singh is ready for expansion. Having experienced his first difficulty in politics (people), Khan hopes that joining forces with his fellow augments will expedite his dreams of world domination. Enter sibling rivalry…with biogenic weapons. The second volume of The Eugenics Wars tries to fit the wars themselves i ...more
Steven Shinder
This second volume brings readers to the 1990s, the time of the actual Eugenics Wars. Greg Cox interprets the Eugenics Wars as a conflict of which the general public were unaware; it appears in the form of acts of terrorism that appear to be random. Cox does a great job staying true to Khan's character, even to the point of having him quote Paradise Lost. The words spoken by Kirk in the opening for Star Trek: The Original Series are referenced when Gary Seven speaks to Khan near the end of the n ...more
Bret Jones
Sep 24, 2008 Bret Jones rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Recommended to Bret by: part two in a storyline
Continuing the saga of Khan Noonien Singh, Greg Cox again shows his historical knowledge by intertwining that with fan favorite characters from the Star Trek universe.
Clark Hallman
Star Trek, The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 2, The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox – In volume one of this trilogy Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln destroyed the underground eugenics lab and rescued Khan Noonien Singh and the other genetically enhanced children. Then we saw them trying to guide and control Kahn as a teenager and young adult. In volume two, Kahn is an extremely egotistical adult who ruthlessly attempts to seize power on a global scale. We see him evolve into a megalomaniac w ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
The second volume in the hugely ambitious and complex Trek saga by Cox is more serious than its predecessor. There's still a lot of that old ironic humor and witty references to popular culture from volume I, but it's all shadowed by an overwhelming sense of pessimism. Here's a book that examines the destructive part of the human equation on a geopolitical scale. Our race is presented as one of uncontrollable selfishness and violence, a force of merciless destruction.

This speculative historical
Matthew Kresal
The second volume of Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars is much like the first in that it is a fascinating mix of Trek continuity of what "happened" in the 20th century (more specifically 1992-1996, which is covered in this volume) and real world history. As a result of the setting, and the focus on the characters of Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln (from the TOS episode Assignment: Earth), it’s far more spy story and techno thriller than a typical Trek story. Given that the 1990s were quite a way off w ...more
Shainna
I'm still not sure that Gary Seven, Roberta, and Isis were the right characters to use to guide the reader along Khan's journey. It almost became a drinking game: they have to save the world, take a shot, they lose their servo, take a shot, they lose their servo at the most inopportune time, take three shots, they expose someone to technology they didn't want to, drink some more. Sometimes I thought if they changed the name of this book, I wouldn't be so annoyed that Roberta and Seven keep showi ...more
Thomas
David King
At the start of the novel Khan has managed to become a dictator with control over parts of India and has begun the process of bringing together his fellow genetically engineered humans in the hope of the uniting the world under his leadership. However, when a meeting between various other superhuman warlords, generals and leaders goes wrong, war breaks out amongst them. Gary Seven and his colleagues are then left with the unenviable job of trying to deal with Khan and his superhuman brethren bef ...more
Steve
This book carried on from the previous book, but also seemed to lose its way during the course of of the book, and by the time the climax had rolled around, it was just wheezing. Some of the plot choices seemed questionable to me, and to top it off, the climax and resolution just seemed rushed, and out of character, but I did enjoy the plot twist during the climax.
Julio
As a star trek fan I thought this was a good book with a solid ending. I have to admire how actual world events were woven into the story as also part of the eugenics wars. What I was not expecting was that based on what I knew from Khan and the War, I was surprised by this books take on both. In this book the Eugenics War was more of conflict that was hushed up and the general public had no idea of what was really going on. Khan boasted of how he had power over millions but based on this book, ...more
Michael
This, and its prequel, are probably my favorite Star Trek books of all time! Greg Cox intertwines so many pieces of Trek lore, weaving in a vast set of characters from across the franchise in this masterful retcon of both the Star Trek universe and our own.
Denise Link
The constant barrage of pop culture references seemed toned down in this volume, compared with the first one. That was a relief. In its place, to annoy me, were constant references to the *advanced age* of Gary Seven. Who was 65. ugh. Even a non-genetically-enhanced human who takes reasonable care of himself is not as decrepit as Seven is depicted here at age 65. It was distracting.

Ageism aside, this was marginally better than Volume One, if only because it actually has a resolution. I would ha
Montgomery Webster
Definitely a much more worthwhile read than Volume 1, but still a stinging disappointment. Sadly, Volume 1 is also substantially longer, leaving very little in the second book. Additionally, having the Eugenic "Wars" take place before the book was written is very strange. Maybe that is how the story was setup in other references, but it is altogether miserable to read. Generally, the events in the book are not strong enough for generations later to remember.
Not worth anybody's time and should pr
Melvin Patterson
Not a bad finish to Volume One. I think the story with Kirk's part was a little too abbreviated, but otherwise nicely done.
Lex
Didn't finish. Hard to get excited about it when I was so bored by Book 1. Maybe I'll give it another shot some day.
Karl Snape sr
a excellent ending! i enjoyed it very much.
Josiah
In this second of two volumes on the Eugenics Wars, author Greg Cox recounts how Khan Noonien Singh transformed from prideful idealist into revengeful megalomaniac, with Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln attempting to control the brushfires of internecine fighting between Khan and his supersiblings.

Plot: B
Writing: C
Vocabulary: C
Level: Intermediate
Rating: R (eugenics, murder, torture, nuclear explosions, mobs, sociopathy, theft, double agents)
Worldview: Atheistic
Christopher Dodds
Indika De Silva
Part 2 which contains the back story of one of the greatest Star Trek Original Series villains the feared Khan Noonien Singh. The author has successfully integrated world history/current affairs and blended it with adventures of Khan and Gary Seven. A must read for a Star Trek Original Series Fan. Part two of two of the series.
C. William
This coupled with the first volume and To Reign in Hell were more than a bit satisfying. The research Cox had to have gone through in the writing of this trilogy had to be severe. Fills in the fans with more info on Khan and made me side with him just a bit. Highly recommend these books for the Trek fans out there.
Michael
I know some people have issues with the Eugenics War being more being the scenes, but after finishing the book I was satisfied with how he intertwined Trek canon with history and his telling of how it played out. Definitely going to read the third book to see how he wraps up the rest of the untold story.
Don Incognito
This novel is interesting but poorly written. Also loaded with [seven-letter vulgar word starting with f, that denotes a pompous fan showing off his/her knowledge of series continuity] and sprinkled with the author's political beliefs. Not recommended.
Deranged Pegasus
Just as intriguing as the first volume with it own hints to the Series. I especially enjoyed the inclusion of the central book of A Piece of the Action. This is a stunning example of the rich universe and history that is the world of Star Trek.
Adam Mardero
Just as good, if not better than the first, Cox really pulls off the feeling of a top secret war being fought using the conflicts of the 90s as fronts. He does it all with likable characters, an action-packed plot and great humor. Win!
Patrick Nichol
This book is brilliant. I always wondered how Khan could launch spacecraft from Earth aftrer he became the world's most wanted man.

It's also a bonus we're visited by Bill Clinton, Gary Seven and Capt. Kirk and crew.
Walt Milowic
This was a great book that covered a lot of the history of Star Trek and incorporated them into a believable timeline of events.
Dustin
I really enjoyed the plausible way the author worked the Eugenics Wars into history, and also fleshed out Kahn's back story.
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Sarek
  • I, Q
  • Preserver (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #3)
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • McCoy: The Provenance Of Shadows (Star Trek: Crucible, #1)
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Cloak (Star Trek: Section 31, #1)
  • Well of Souls (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2336)
  • Swordhunt (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #3)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Final Frontier
  • The Sundered (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2298)

Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars (3 books)
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)
  • To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #3)
Underworld (Underworld, #1) Q-Space (Star Trek: The Next Generation #47; The Q Continuum, #1) The Dark Knight Rises: The Official Novelization The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1) Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)