Start by marking “Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)” as Want to Read:
Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)

Lioness Rampant

(Song of the Lioness #4)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  76,228 ratings  ·  1,528 reviews
After achieving her dream of becoming the first female knight, Alanna sets out to find the Dominion Jewel, a legendary gem which possesses limitless power for good. But the evil Duke Roger has returned from the dead to wreak havoc on the kingdom, and only Alanna has the power to prevent utter destruction.

“Full of slam-bang action…young readers will rejoice.”
Kirkus
Library Binding, 308 pages
Published April 11th 1992 by Random House (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Lioness Rampant, please sign up.
Jennifer The next quartet is the Wild Magic quartet, then Protector of the Small, then the Trickster books. Alanna makes cameos in the other quartets.
I really…more
I really liked the Wild Magic series but Protector of the Small wasn't quite as good. She also just started a series that will tell the backstory of one of the characters in the Wild Magic series.
There's also a trilogy set in Tortall a few centuries before the Alanna books but her cat is in them. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alia If you read the next quartet, The Immortals (starting with Wild Magic, centers on a girl named Daine, but Alanna and many other of the characters make…moreIf you read the next quartet, The Immortals (starting with Wild Magic, centers on a girl named Daine, but Alanna and many other of the characters make more than cameo appearances in it!), you'll find that Alanna indeed did get her Gift back, and that it didn't permanently change colors either.(less)

·  76,228 ratings  ·  1,528 reviews

Start your review of Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)
Adrianna [SypherLily]
After adoring the first, liking the second and hating the third, the fourth came somewhere in-between. The first half of this book was a bit of struggle for me, but honestly once the adventure for the jewel was over, the story picks up a bit.

I didn't like how Alanna's brother Thom was practically non-existent throughout the entire series, and has a small (or rather large) part in this book and. . . no, just no. The author made it seem like just because they were twins, they knew everything about
Madeline
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having reached the end of the Alanna books, I'm really sad to be done with the series. Not just because Alanna is a fantastic heroine - seriously, I'm currently drafting legislation to make these books required reading for sixth grade girls everywhere - but also because this is one of those rare occasions where I feel like a book could have been longer, and should have been longer. The entire Alanna series has felt very rushed, since Book One when we sped through two years of knight training in ...more
Nadia
I'm just posting this to say that I was thoroughly impressed by Tamora Pierce's fight scenes. Like it's obvious that she thought about how Alanna could win fights against people who are physically stronger without any magic short cuts. Most of the time when I read action scenes in books I have no idea what the fuck happened or the author takes a cop out and writes something like "and then everything happened at once" and then skips to the aftermath but in these I always had a vivid mental pic of ...more
Lindsey Rey
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
[3.5 Stars]
ambyr
In a lot of ways, this is my favorite of the Alanna books. I love seeing Alanna come into her own; I love seeing her gain confidence, throwing herself in the face of impossible odds, and accepting herself as both a woman and a knight. I love, love what this series does with relationships, that Alanna's allowed to date multiple men, that it's okay that some of the relationships don't have long-term potential, and that it hurts when they fall apart anyway. That the relationships are ultimately ...more
J. Treader
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A great conclusion to a series I should’ve finished a while ago.
Julie
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, middle-grade
Mar 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls who love fantasy.
Shelves: ya, fantasy
This review will be looking at the whole series.
I have to admit I amazed that some how in my adolesence of female oriented fantasy reading I never picked up the Alanna Quartet. The series is most definately unique in the world of fantasy directed to girls;the sex is frank, the main character has the unique attributes of red hair and violet eyes but is at one point described as short and stocky, she works to callous her hands, and has chosen the road that will most definatly at the end of her
Sophie
Aw, I'm all verklempt now. A bittersweet ending to this series. It's plain to see why the Alanna books created so many die-hard Pierce fans.

This could have easily been broken into two books, but I'm glad it wasn't, after the weird cuts between books the series made earlier. Still, it's pretty much two stories: the first being the quest for the Dominion Jewel, and the second the plot against Jonathan's life. While the first was fun, I liked the second half better. I love Corus and things are way
Sanaa
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 Stars] I don't think I enjoyed this one quite as much as the last. It was wonderful read, but there is something about it that I just didn't fall in love with and I can't quite put my finger on why. All in all, however, this is a fantastic series though it could use a little more depth.
Beth
Here's my favorite thing about Lioness Rampant: it's an epic story that focuses on great storytelling instead of its own legend. It's aware of its importance, and it believes in its importance - but it's not obsessed with its enormous future impact. It's content to tell a great story, and let the legend grow naturally from there.

And I think this is a great story. I love that it opens with a young Alanna - young despite her knighthood! - not knowing how to flirt with Liam. I love the way Alanna
Robert Thompson
Five stars, for this, surely I must be kidding? That, or delusional.

It was worth every single second to read. I can usually tell how much time passes while I read, not here, not with this volume. I was sucked into it with glee(a pinch of foreboding too).

The first half of LR finds our Alanna and Coram continuing the plotline from the end of "The Woman Who Rides Like A Man". They are off to decipher the package Alois(the doomed sorceress) had given over. Things progress quickly from here a series
Lexie
Yep, I just re-read all of these books for the first time since I was 12. Damn you, Kindle!

I enjoyed them the second time around-- not as much as I did when I was 12 and feisty and just beginning to understand that being a teenager meant wanting to fight EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. Alanna was a pretty great outlet for that.

Things I liked that I missed the first time around:
-Sex positivism. For real!
-Awesome and strong female characters consistently passing the Bechdel Test.
-Awesome male characters.
Susan
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tamora Pierce was the DEFINING author of my childhood. I loved fantasy, and she introduced me to fantasy with heroines who take charge of their own lives. I learned more from her about feminine strength than almost any other author (save, perhaps, Anne McCaffrey). This series is a must-read for growing girls and grown women everywhere!
Chris
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read close to 10,000 books in my lifetime and this is the only one that ever made me cry.
kris
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[first read: 6 January 2008]

Alanna gathers her own band of merry wo/men as she continues her adventures outside of Tortall. Her adventuring takes her through war-torn Sarain, to the Roof of the World where she reclaims the Dominion Jewel for Tortall.

I will say that I think this is the most fulfilling of the Alanna series, for me. I enjoyed reading about Alanna's adventures and growth into a warrior and a woman confident in her abilities and desires! The myths and legends of Tortall and its
Sally
Alanna sneaks through a war-torn land to climb a mountain and steal a magic rock. Along the way, she meets a new man to flirt with, learns to punch people real hard, and gets captured by a princess. Yup, just another average day.

This book is the epic, yet oddly anticlimactic ending to the Song of the Lioness series. It starts almost right where the previous book ended, and continues to add more characters and countries to the Tortall universe.

The beginning of the book (as well as the previous
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This isn't the most subtle series, but I do like its positive messages (even if they're not subtle), one of which is that it's possible to be true to yourself, which in Alanna's case means coming to terms with the fact that she doesn't need to fit neatly or exclusively in a "man's world" or a "woman's world."

I also find it interesting that, unlike in most fantasy novels, especially those oriented toward younger girls, Alanna not only has several lovers, but uses a magic birth control amulet!
Katie
Re-read February 2016

Hey, my original review is pretty good. So, you know, what she said. She being me. Okay, wait. (view spoiler)

Original Review

(view spoiler)
Catie
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There really isn't much more I can say about this series. I honestly think that every child (not just girls) should just be issued it at birth. Alanna is such a great, powerful, honest, stubborn, determined hero. I love how this series ended. Even though Alanna is so tough and nearly invincible, I could so easily see her humanity. She struggles to "have it all" which is something that women young and old, mundane and heroic also struggle with constantly. We want to travel and have adventures and ...more
Gail Carriger
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Song of the Lioness Quartet is also the saddest. The love story is fantastic, for it is the romance of attraction (but not cohesion) that most of us have had at some point in our lives. To suffer the consequences of breaking up, not for lack of love but for lack of compatibility ,is a marker of emotional growth.

In this final book, Alanna is fully an adult and as such facing war means not glory but loss, betrayal, and absolution. It is through loss that Alanna finally finds
Andrea
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I can't believe this series is already over!! God I loved it so much. So in this book we have the addition of the character Liam, who is a Shang warrior. I loved how tough he was and the effect he and Alanna had on each other. I think they learned a lot from each other and not just about fighting. I was really annoyed with Thom in this book and how he let his pride and arrogance get him in deep shit. I liked how this book wrapped up, but I'm sad to see Alanna's adventures end.
Andree
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2016
4.5 stars, and it may be possible I'm just being picky.

Unlike "The Woman Who Rides Like a Man," Lioness Rampant certainly doesn't feel like the first half of a story (and while it shouldn't - it is the final book in this particular series). It really is quite well done. I really enjoyed a lot of it.

Jonathan as King and friend is so much better than Jonathan as love interest. He makes a good King, in general. I very much appreciate how focused his is on getting to know his people, and
SSBSMS
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a way to end. I love reading and growing older with characters. This is one of those series where you're left with a chunk of your heart missing.
eyes.2c
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So reading now years later I find this series not as startling as it was when I first encountered it. That doesn't mean I don't love the series just as much, it just means more has been published that goes in different places like this did when it first blasted onto the scene.
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
It was fun rereading this after all these years. I first read the Song of the Lioness series when I was 13 and its always had a special place in my heart. Over a decade later and I can say I have plenty of criticisms but over all this series is still a joy to read. I hope to pick up more books by Tamora Pierce soon.
Jana

Rreview can be found at FantasyLiterature.com.
A.M.G.
Rating: 5 / 5

Coming to the end of the Song of the Lioness quartet, looking back it was both a quick and easy and yet longish journey. It was quick and easy in that it didn't take me a long time to read, and nor did the writing linger on details--quite the opposite, as all the readers of this series must know. And yet, when I stop to consider that it's technically a journey of years, from the beginning of Alanna's becoming a page up to her full years' worth experience of knighthood, I can't help
Nidofito
1988? I can't believe this was published that long ago.

It's not just Alanna's courage, her fighting abilities, and her noble heart, but this story that supports self-exploration and discovery, whether that be through traveling, learning new cultures, or falling in love, which makes the series such an icon. This message of girls growing into their skin and being happy with who they area by their own decisions. It's not subtle but it's effective.

God, I will miss Liam calling Alanna, "kitten."
Chacun a une activité de rechange 1 1 Jul 22, 2017 03:22AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Numbers Are Not Listed 3 20 Nov 28, 2015 01:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please create an ACE 2 19 Nov 05, 2015 12:55PM
Alex??? (question contains spoilers) 19 206 Nov 29, 2014 01:25PM
Alex??? (question contains spoilers) 1 15 Feb 12, 2013 07:42AM

• Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
  • Air Logic (Elemental Logic, #4)
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • The Youngest Miss Ward
  • The Shades
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Novice Dragoneer (Dragoneer Academy, #1)
  • A Dictionary of Mythical Places
  • Real Estate Mistakes: How To Avoid Them, How To Save Your Money, And Live Happily Ever After
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join

Song of the Lioness (4 books)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
“Either I've turned stupid, or life's turned hard.” 120 likes