Start by marking “The Demon Lover” as Want to Read:
The Demon Lover

The Demon Lover

Ljubavni roman o Kate Collinson, kćeri slavnog slikara minijaturista. Teška bolest njenog oca te poziv baruna de Centevillea u njegov dvorac u Normandiji, daju joj priliku da umjetnički dar koji je naslijedila od oca pokaže i postane priznata. Susret s barunom zauvijek će izmijeniti njezin život...
Published January 1st 1997 by Grafton Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Lover

Willow
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt (aka the amazing Eleanor Alice Burford) mostly wrote gothic mysteries. Her books usually have an intrepid heroine, a mysterious murder, and dark lover. The heroine falls in love and solves the murder, usually in that order.

This book is a little different though. Holt strays from her usual gothic formula into bodice ripper territory here, which made me do a happy dance. You should have seen me while I was reading the first half. I was grinning from ear to ear. Other Holt fans weren
Naksed
-"It's not exactly a handsome face, is it? Not exactly a kind face. There's cruelty in it... and all those unpleasant characteristics which alas you have discovered."

-"It's a portrait of you, Baron, not of Prince Charming."

-"Ah, you would have to get Bertrand to pose for that. As this is to go to my fiancee, I think I shall call it 'The Demon Lover.' Do you think that appropriate?"

-"Perhaps," I said as coolly as I could. "But you would know best about that."

The Demon Lover, by Victoria Holt.

Vict
mark monday
I probably should have read this back when I was a teenage girl.
Julz
Regan Walker
Gripping Story of a Tumultuous Love, a Bodice-Ripper set in England and France in the late 1800s

Set mostly in France in the late Victorian period, this tells the story of Kate Collison, of the famous (fictional) Collison family of brilliant painters of miniatures, each artist signing the portraits “KC.” In each generation, the next son had taken up the art to astound patrons in England and in Europe. Unfortunately, Kate’s mother, the daughter of a duke, gave Kate’s father, Kendal Collison, only
MomToKippy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is tough one for me to rate or describe. First, it did not feel like Victoria Holt to me - can't quite put my finger on why. The tone was a bit different and it just didn't pull me in at first. A lot of telling instead of showing to begin with. And then I was shocked by the major incident in the first third of the book primarily because I assumed all her books were squeaky clean for the most part. Although explicit details were left out it was thematically explicit. I was so upset by what h ...more
KatieV
Eta: I had to go from 3 to 4 stars because I've found myself rereading parts of this and it has really made an impression. Still full of rage inducing wtf'ery and not exactly romance.

The writing was good/engaging and I liked the heroine, but I never really bought that the Baron wanted her / loved her. I was really torn on the rating, because it did keep me reading and I loved the heroine.

*****************************spoilers*********************************

Kate was engaged to the Baron's cousin,
Becky
I went searching for something along the same lines as The Silver Devil when I stumbled across this old gothic romance. I thought what the heck I'll give it a try.

I finished it, but barely, and I'll explain why.

Now like I said I went searching for this type of book with the alpha male who is ruthless and slightly sadistic so I didn't mind the beginning and what the Baron did to Kate so much as what I'm sure some reviewers would have.

But I didn't like how things turned out for either of them. I
Treece
Rating: 3 1/2 stars

Oh, Rollo, how much do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

It's been a long time since I despised a character. Rollo gets brownie points and pie for my hatred of him. He is no hero. The fact that he is Kate's love interest is disgusting and incomprehensible. Ms. Holt did a fantastic job of character development. For him, at least.

As for Kate, the way she was depicted, there is NO way she would have ever fallen in love with this scumbag. She would have used him for his help, N

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Victoria Holt is the book equivalent of a bag of Bernie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. On the one hand, you could find yourself with the crisp tartness of green apple, the sweet but satisfying blueberry, or the odd but intriguing black pepper. On the other hand, you could just as easily find yourself with one of the earwax or vomit flavors. And this book, THE DEMON LOVER, is definitely vomit flavored.

**WARNING: SPOILERS***

Kate Collison comes fr
Mojca
Kate Collison’s father, a famous miniaturist, is slowly losing his sight, so his daughter agrees to paint the portrait of Baron de Ceteville for him. All hush-hush, of course, because of course women don’t possess the same talent as men.
But the Baron discovers the ruse and, lover of art as he is, agrees to pay their fee, and arranges for Kate to paint his fiancée’s portrait as well, presenting her to the Parisian society, cementing Kate’s reputation as a miniaturist. But the Baron has other plan
Sarah Mac
One of the best examples of that rare breed -- the elusive, enticing, & utterly flamboyant Gothic Bodice Ripper, an unholy hybrid of two badass bygone genres. Read at your own risk, because it pulls no punches. >:)

(N.B.: It's also one of Holt's best novels, regardless.)
Mermarie
Edited: March 20th 2013

I did enjoy this book - its goth ambiance and subtle hues explodes an imaginative mind with great, intangible delectability. However, approximately 100 pages from the end I felt Vickie just gave up and wanted this one wrapped up and done with. It felt as if Rollo & Kate did their lil' round & and around lovers confrontation, with few tidbits of action therein to keep the story from repeating the same sequence of caterwauling up until the end. The ending was sooo un
Caro
Oct 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very well written and the characters were very vividly portrayed, like all VH's books. If it wasn't for that, I'd give it one star.
I HATED the hero. Think of the bad guy in movies, and you'll be thinking of Rollo. I don't understand how anyone could think rape is a good start for a romance, and that pretty much killed this book for me.
I read it for the first time when I was twelve and I thought it was romantic. I read it again at fifteen and realized how awful the concept truly w
Nicole
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bodice-rippers
I wanted to give this book three stars but had to upgrade it because of the end. THE END! What was Miss Holt thinking? I've seen others saying it was too unexpected and abrupt for them but isn't that how live is supposed to be sometimes? I think it was one of the best book endings I've ever seen.
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Horrible. El protagonista es un violador. Un despropósito.
Cat The Curious
I can't quite give this a 5. Although the book is very good and held my attention. The first half to middle part are the very best parts of this book. I did like the twist at the end. The hero here is more of the flawed type which I prefer rather than the cookie cutter super sweet type. He can be a bit of a villain which reminds me a little of The Silver Devil. Give me more like that. I don't know why I like the flawed love interests. I guess they make it more exciting.
Diane Lynn
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So different from other Holt books I have read. It is hard for me to summarize without giving away some of the story. In short, Kate Collison accompanies her father, famous miniature painter Kendal Collison, to France. He has been summoned by the Baron de Centeville to paint a miniature of himself and one of his fiancee, the Princesse de Crespigny. Well one thing leads to another and Kate ends up doing the painting. What starts as a little trickery leads to much more.

There is a big event that h
Phair
Back in the 60s I discovered "grown up" books with Victoria Holt (I think Bride of Pendorric was my first), Dorothy Eden, Mary Stewart & Phyllis Whitney and devoured them all as well as their many gothic and romantic suspense clones before moving on for a time to the bodice ripping historical romances that followed. Demon Lover- a later book by Holt which I revisited in audio book was an example (albeit a tame one) of the rape leads to love plots that were common at the time. Rather than sw ...more
Crystal
May 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who find rape romantic (yeah, me either)
consider this a spoiler of sorts--I don't remember the plot very clearly, other than that the main character was an artist, and that the "hero" of the piece kidnapped her and raped her repeatedly over a period of several days to keep her from marrying someone else, so he could have her as his mistress. it's hard to find that romantic. Even back in my gothic romance heyday, I found it troublesome. Now I doubt I could read the book again. very irresponsible and unappealing writing. it negated much ...more
L.   (Vacation All I Ever Wanted)
Years ago I had a Holt Thang and set about reading all her books. This is my least favorite for the reasons already pointed out in other reviews. The "hero" is a complete *$$, does terrible things to the heroine, and yet she still goes to him in the end. I so wanted to reach into the pages and shake some sense into her, then I wanted to shake Victoria Holt.
Roub
Jan 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
lol what an ending !i had a huge laugh !!very loud laugh at dat ! the book deserved a 5 star 4 dat only. it's a must read.i enjoyed the book very much n did not miss one page ! it was captivating, yet i rated it only 1 star bcoz this was no romance. it's sadistic n obscene 4 kate 2 fall in love wid rollo who abducted her n raped her during 3 days !! i can't get over the fact. it's very archaic n like some very old movies i watched. this was no forced seduction but true rape. he did dat only 2 sp ...more
Julienne
Feb 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this less than one star I would. I went into this book expecting the normal Victoria Holt gothic romance with some suspense and a happy ending. What I got was a rape and Stockholm syndrome: a woman's "happy" ending with her abuser. I cannot stress enough how angry it makes me when rape and abuse are downplayed and made to seem as an act of love; they are acts of control. VH missed the mark by a million miles on this one.
Gillian
Jan 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Gillian by: No idea
I don't have a problem with the writing style, I have a problem with the story. The whole **spoiler alert** rape leading, inexplicably (loads of words and pages, but truly inexplicably) to love thing really bugged me. ** end spoiler** The ending is laugh-out-loud absurd. Completely, utterly ridiculous. I don't normally read this type of book, and I honestly don't remember how it ended up on my radar, but even if I was a huge Victoria Holt fan, I couldn't recommend this to anyone.
Jd Aeryth
No one should EVER read this book. In this book, a man kidnaps a woman, rapes her for days on end, and then, disgustingly and impossibly, she falls in love with and marries him. I love all the other Victoria Holt books - they're delightful escapist joy, but I won't have this book in my house.
Misfit
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well now, that was a twist.
Eliza
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh....that's about all I got! For real though---- I was major disappointed. Not sure what I was expecting. Actually...yes, I do. I saw reviews throwing around the word "Gothic" and "romance"....and I found none of that in this read. Characters were bland and I felt zero love anywhere in the book. Sorry.... :( Maybe I set my standard too high with this one.
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Shandra
Dec 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only Victoria Holt book that every disappointed me. I read them voraciously as a teenager and beyond (I still love a good Gothic), and I remember my mother warning me that I might not want to read this one, as she said it was quite "adult". (I was probably 13 or 14) Turns out, she was right, I was quite angry and unhappy with it. This book features a great, independent female artist...

I will put up a spoiler flag here, though many people have already given it away without warning in
Ashleigh Oldfield
This story was very different from Holt's other titles. Set in Paris around the time of the Battle for Paris, a young female artist tries to make her way in the world. She finds a patron in a dangerous Baron, who is her making as well as her downfall. Although I always figure out the twist in Holt's books, this one took me longer than usual to figure out. The break from the usual formula was enjoyable and I loved reading about the French countryside and culture. A great little recreational read ...more
Victoria Holt, J...: Chapter 10: To Die For Love !FINAL THOUGHTS! 9 21 Sep 13, 2013 11:21AM
Victoria Holt, J...: Chapter 7: Paris Under Siege 14 12 Sep 12, 2013 04:59PM
Victoria Holt, J...: Chapter 9: The Way Out 17 9 Sep 12, 2013 02:57PM
Victoria Holt, J...: Chapter 8: The Loge 3 6 Sep 12, 2013 02:38PM
Victoria Holt, J...: Chapter 6: The Oriflamme Kite 6 8 Sep 09, 2013 05:59AM
Victoria Holt, J...: Chapter 5: Nicole 11 13 Sep 07, 2013 11:00AM
Victoria Holt, J...: Chapter 4: The Demon 10 13 Sep 01, 2013 06:43PM
  • Magic Embrace
  • Edin's Embrace
  • Will You Love Me in September (Daughters of England, #8)
  • Never Call It Love
  • Rainsong
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Island Flame (Pirates, #1)
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Tara's Song
  • Lelaki Dalam Ingatan

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
“Ha! Rollo!” 5 likes
“People don’t always see what their eyes tell them is there. They see what they have made up their minds to see, and I’m afraid they might make up their minds that something done by a woman could not possibly be as good as that done by a man.” 0 likes