Start by marking “Susannah (Sunfire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Susannah (Sunfire, #2)

Susannah (Sunfire #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  305 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The South that raised her was at war, while Susannah's own battle raged in her heart....

Susannah had lived her sixteen years as a proper Virginia girl - obedient, dreaming of marriage, leaving the decisions to the men. But when her brother and her fiance are called on to defend the South, Susannah takes the first daring steps of rebellion against the old rules. She must fi
Published April 1st 1984 by Scholastic Paperbacks

jen
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was a fun little trip down memory lane. I first read this when it was released, I was 10. I don't even know how many times I read it then but it had to be at least eight. There was one unmemorable re-read about 10 years ago, and now recently I picked it up again fresh off a viewing of Ken Burns' "The Civil War."

I'm a bit of a Civil War buff and so that is what drives my very high rating of this book. Some of the dialogue is cheesy, the plot developments contrived, the romance is ... re
Edallia
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I will admit up front that I keep going back and forth on my opinion of this book, so if this review seems disjointed, that would be why. I loved this one when I was a kid, and looked forward to it during the Sunfire Re-Read. I actually remembered a few bits from the plot.

Unfortunately, some things about this book bothered me as an adult. Susannah Dellinger turns 16 in 1864, and has nothing to look forward to except the end of the Civil War. Her family lives on a plantation outside of Winchester
Gretchen
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Yet another cheesy Sunfire novel... this should be the last one for awhile.

Susannah is about a girl growing up in Virginia during the Civil War. Little by little her world falls apart, and she finds herself having to be the leader in her family. Along the way, she meets a Yankee soldier with whom she falls in love. There is truly nothing better than forbidden romance.

I feel like Susannah gives a fairly good portrayal of how devastating the Civil War was for the South. It was pretty heart-breakin
Dani
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book out of these Sunfire romances. I've read it about 10 times. I saved them all these years for my daughters, and Im glad I did, since they are now out of print. :(
Natasha
*Rereading my way through the Sunfire series, in publication order*

Three years into the Civil War, Susannah Dellinger is yearning for the good old days, when there were picnics and balls and attentions from her handsome neighbor, Evan Jones. But those days are gone. Evan and her brother are off fighting for the Confederacy and she waits at home on her Virginia plantation, watching everything crumble around her.

It's hard not to draw comparisons between SUSANNAH and GONE WITH THE WIND, at least i
Karla
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
The bond between the hero & heroine was set up on tenuous footing, but the entire jist of the novel was the unpredictable and upending nature of war, where the strangest things are made possible. The character of Susannah is far more like a hybrid of Scarlett O'Hara with an emphasis to the inner steel of Melanie Hamilton. She's a strong and resourceful heroine, a lot like Emily in Ransom's other Sunfire.

As has been noted by others, the blind eye towards slavery was irksome and dishonest. How
Debbie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Back in, like, 6th grade or something, I read the first Sunfire teen romance, Amanda, which was about a girl on the wagon train going west. I liked it a lot and reread it occasionally. So I was excited to find this one at the library booksale a few years ago, and finally got around to reading it.

In this one, Susannah is a young woman on a plantation in Virginia during the Civil War. She has a beau, her brother's best friend, who's enlisted in the Confederate army. But she keeps encountering a U
Skylar Burris
I devoured much of the Sunfire historical romance series in 5th and 6th grade. That is, I read scores of them, but I think I did a bit of skimming. The formula was always the same - two young men - both handsome - oh my! Whom will she choose? 6th grade me lapped that stuff up. I interviewed Candice F. Ransom for an I-Search (children of the 80's, who remembers I-Search projects?) career paper. At the time, I wanted to be a writer. I still do, actually. Well, I am one, I suppose. I don't recall M ...more
Abby
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Waxing Nostalgic #15- It has been awhile since I have revised one of my youthful favs. Sometimes I think the books may have been better remembered in my past. I wanted Susannah to be recognized by her family for the sacrifices she was making for them in the war. They seemed awfully ungrateful. I wanted there to be more of a courtship between she and her beaus. How does she know she loves them? These are all questions that 16 year old girls do not ask. Oh well, these books are such great diversio ...more
Melissa
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book as a teenager in the 1980s and found it again at a garage sale. I remembered it as being one of my favorites at the time I read it long ago and enjoyed it just as much reading it again now. Yes, the writing was a bit simpler than I am used to, but the story is a good one. Hope to share it with my nieces and hope they love it as much as I do. Will be part of my library as a nostalgic look back through my reading journey.
HeavyReader
The books in the Sunfire series were basically starter romance novels for young teen girls. Got to get 'em hooked early. I don't think there was any bodice ripping going on, maybe some kissing, lots of anticipation, that's for sure.

From the looks of the cover, it seems that this particular title was set during the Civil War.
Shelly
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Still reading/rereading some of the Sunfires from the eighties... I did not feel this one gave as much depth to the history and relationship (can't believe I'm saying this about this series, but it's true) as some of the other books. Susannah had some minor similarities to Gone with the Wind, but the story went another way. I did like how it wrapped up-it was the only way it could have gone.
Madison
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. It was way intense as Susannah tries to take her family across the country. I liked how she had to decided what guy she liked better and who she wanted to live with for the rest of her life. I would recommend this to anyone!!!
Kirsten
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as I remembered it being when I got my first copy from the Scholastic book order in 4th grade! What a great nostalgia read! I'm still captivated by the tragic romance of the South and the swoon-worthy forbidden love between a Southern Belle and a Yankee soldier. Sigh.
Christina
I had no idea that the author of the Time Spies series (one of my kids' favorites) wrote this series of books. I read them in high school and remember loving them!
Lucy
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, these books were so good.
Lesley
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Very good, better than I expected and the historical aspect was very accurate.
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
good story
Cindy
Sep 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this book when I was in junior high and liked it quite well. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to a reading now, but it's a decent young adult romance novel.
Jessica
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutly loved it. I've read it so many times, I pratically have it memorized. The characters were relatable and Susannah was awesome. Amazing story.
Jaclyn
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was my jam when I was 11 years old. That's why it gets a big rating; purely for nostalgia.
Reading with Cats
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, sunfire
Hip-length hair and smoke-purple eyes!
Jodie
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This always stuck out in my memory of the Sunfire books as one of my favorites. Probably because of how I romanticized the Civil War as a young teen in the 80s (thanks to reading Gone With the Wind at age 10) and adoring the whole notion of star-crossed love between a Yankee and a good Virginian girl.

What surprised me upon reading as an adult was that slavery was actually addressed, that the starving realities of war weren't shied away from, and again, female coming of age meaning empowerment an
Angie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another trip down memory lane, re-reading a book from the Sunfire series which was my absolute favorite series of books as a teenager (and the reason I never saved any of my babysitting money... there were always new Sunfire books to be bought!) Susannah is the story of a young woman from Virginia and the struggles, tragedies and love she experiences during the Civil War. This one is packed with historical names/places/details and isn't quite as formulaic as some of the Sunfire books, in my opin ...more
Norah Baron
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another favorite of mine from my childhood. I found a lot of these books just recently at the thrift store and today I've been reliving my preteen years. Historical facts are a little off in this book but the storyline is good.
Cindy
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I originally read this series back in the 80s, checking them out from my elementary school library. Having re-read them as an adult I think they stand the test of time and are still relevant as far as historical fiction is concerned.
Melanie Fuller
Oct 14, 2010
Ginee Scarbrough
Jun 28, 2011
  • Jessica (Sunfire, #6)
  • Elizabeth (Sunfire, #3)
  • Joanna (Sunfire, #5)
  • Cassie (Sunfire, #14)
  • Jacquelyn (Sunfire, #12)

Sunfire (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Amanda (Sunfire, #1)
  • Elizabeth (Sunfire, #3)
  • Danielle (Sunfire, #4)

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99