Start by marking “Private (Private, #1)” as Want to Read:
Private (Private, #1)

Private

(Private #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  41,459 Ratings  ·  2,646 Reviews
Seit der ehemalige CIA-Agent Jack Morgan die Privatdetektei seines Vaters übernommen hat, ist daraus ein florierendes Unternehmen mit Kunden aus den höchsten Kreisen geworden. Selbst das L.A. Police Department bittet PRIVATE um Unterstützung bei der Suche nach einem Serienmörder, der seit Jahren immer wieder Mädchen im College-Alter tötet. Die Agentur steht Kopf, als ein w ...more
Published July 20th 2010 by Little Brown and Company (first published 2010)

Tulay
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
Only good thing about this book that it was free. Listened while walking, typical James Patterson, last book I bought and read was more than ten years ago, that was the only book I paid. Short, short chapters, choppy. Murder, sex, NFL score fixing.
Bonnie Shores
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, crime
I had gotten this audio book a while back as an Audible Daily Deal. I hadn't ever read anything by James Patterson and I figured that was the perfect opportunity to do so. My husband and I had to drive to Atlanta, so I chose this book, as I thought he'd enjoy it more than the paranormal fantasy stuff that I prefer. 😉

description

Holy complications, Batman! I've never read anything like this before.

description

This book was totally plot driven and moved at lightning speed. The main character is Jack Morgan, owner of Priv
Rita
Not great literature but good James Patterson and, let's not forget, Maxine Paetro. Jack, an Afghanistan Marine veteran, has been asked by his father, in prison for life for extortion and murder, to visit him. His father wants him to resurrect his once lucrative and world renowned PI firm and tells him that he will be getting a package tomorrow containing dirt on all previous clients and access to 15 million dollars. So Jack decides to restart Private.
The remainder of the book is a rollercoaster
Sebastian
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very good start and then it fizzles out.

At this point, it is clear that the Patterson collaborations are 100% written by the second author. Nevertheless, Paetro has done a good job with some of the books on the Women's Murder Club series (though she has also delivered some duds in that one). As a result, I had mixed feelings about whether to give this series a chance or not. When I started reading this book, I was feeling like I had made a great decision.

The set up for the story was very good, w
Lyn
Aug 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 30%.

I’ve never read a James Patterson book and Audible was giving this one away.

Beware freebies.

This was like some dumb melodrama you watch for 5 minutes while channel surfing. War veteran inherits a posh PI firm that caters to the very rich and powerful.

If this is Beverly Hills Private Investigations then I'd rather follow Axel Foley back to Detroit.

Yawn.

Matt
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Apparently the start of a 'male-led' Women's Murder Club series. While some of the story outlines were interesting... too many to follow, making it hard to fucus on the central storyline.
Suzanne
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. I enjoyed the characters and the plots. I think I will still read the Michael Bennett and Alex Cross series before continuing this series, but I will continue it. Love the character of Jack and his colleagues.

My quick and simple overall: only takes a few hours to read this book and is interesting enough to keep you reading in one sitting.
Mrs W
Oct 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Private is a book written by James Patterson (and Maxine Paetro) who is a well known author of crime thriller novels. Wow. Sorry James, but this is a really crappy book. The story line is all over the place, the characters are completely undeveloped and the “reveal” at the end is totally predictable. This was the first time (that I know of) that I read a book that has a “ghost writer”. That’s right people, the person who you thought wrote the book (ie. The person’s name written in big red block ...more
Beverly
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When reading reviews, particularly on Amazon, I’ve noticed a lot of complaints about how the Patterson books are written. As a reader, what I care about is the end result. I want a good story. Sometimes, Patterson’s formula works and sometimes it doesn’t. I enjoy The Women’s Murder Club series and the Alex Cross series (though I must admit, I’m behind on both series.) So far I’ve enjoyed the books written with (or some might say by) Maxine Paetro.

I found Private to be a good story. At first I wa
Chelsey the crazy cat lady
This was my first crime book that I have read and absolutely loved it. I have loved watching crime and thought I would give reading crime a go. From the first chapter I was hooked. Private are a great team and get the job done. In this book they were working three major cases.
Angie Dokos
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book. I enjoyed the story and liked the characters. It's not one of my favorite books, but it was worth reading.
Sebastien Castell
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
This is a difficult novel for me to review because a lot of my criticisms may be completely irrelevant to people who enjoy this kind of book. This was the first James Patterson novel I've read, and I'm mindful of the fact that my own opinions on the book are kind of irrelevant – he's got a legion of fans and they've already made up their minds on what they love and what they don't. So I'm going to point out what worked and didn't work for me, but if you're reaction to it is, "you're focusing on ...more
Bea  Charmed
Meh. Too long, too many story lines, not enough emotion. And who the heck puts an epilogue in then continues the story with more chapters? WTF Patterson?
Eric
As far as private eye books go, Private takes a different approach. You won't find the boozing PI with a shabby office located in Hell's Kitchen. Private is a firm that caters to the rich and famous. Jack Morgan is the boss man of this highly sophisticated crime outfit that employs top notch experts and a crime lab that is better equipped than the police departments. Jack doesn't buzz around town in a beat up junker. He drives a Lamborghini (aka Lambo). The narrator
does a decent job for a story
Sue
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by James Patterson, "Private".Former CIA agent Jack Morgan runs Private, a renowned investigation company with branches around the globe. It is where you go when you need maximum force and maximum discretion. The secrets of the most influential men and women on the planet come to Jack daily--and his staff of investigators uses the world's most advanced forensic tools to make and break their cases.

Jack is already deep into the investigation of a multi-million dollar NFL gamblin
Maria
À medida que vou lendo mais livros de James Patterson, mais fico rendida à sua obra. Este é o segundo policial que leio e confesso ter gostado mais da personagem Jack do que propriamente do Alex Cross de outra série.

Jack é um ex-fuzileiro que se dedica actualmente a investigar casos, estando ao comando da empresa Private - Agência Internacional de Investigação, herdada do pai, um antigo criminoso. Contrariamente ao pai, que tinha uma relação directa com o crime organizado e com a máfia, Jack que
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
Private was offered for free from Audible this week so I decided to give it a go. Procedural thrillers are not my cup of tea and this one proved no different.
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Private' is the first novel of a mystery series starring Jack Morgan, ex-Marine helicopter pilot, who now is the owner of a large private detective company with offices everywhere. Morgan guides a crack team of support staff - a scientist, a psychiatric profiler, a punk-styling computer expert, a pack of neurotic detectives - who work for mostly rich Los Angeles people, including movie stars and prosecutors. The office building in which he works has equipment and labs NASA would envy, enabling ...more
Quinn
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a thriller for sure. It was interesting, exciting, and best of all, it never was boring! Although this is made for more mature people, I would recommend this book to all people. Most anyone would love this book, it includes mysteries, murders, drama, and lots of action. READ THIS!!!!!
Magpie67
Loved, simply loved this book! Loved the action and the fast pace of the office as the team worked three cases. Each character is brilliant in their own way and I look forward to meeting up with them as I continue this series. Stunning voice too.... Mr. Peter Herman delivered the audio perfectly. He definitely could purr into my ear all day....
Richard
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Richard by: I have been reading all Mr. Patterson's work.
First of all, look at the author names on the book cover. I guess Mr. Patterson was unhappy with his coauthor the day he approved the art, but her name is very subtle at the bottom of the book.

Second, I think they have overdosed on Dirk Pitt, Stone Barrington and Secret Agent 007 with their depiction of Jack Morgan and his protection/private detective agency, Private. Resurrected from his worthless father's defunct company with $15,000,000 in stolen money dad gave Jack shortly before dying in pr
Mike
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this was an alright mystery novel. I liked the parelell stories and the cast of characters but felt that some of it was just... so last generation.

For instance: There's an implication in the Steam Cleaner(I listened to it as an audio book so I'm sure that it's spelled differently but I don't know how. I figure it's "SteamKleana" or something like that) story that all people who play violent video games want to commit terrible murders. This is annoying. I play a lot of games, some of th
Marie
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Another quick, easy read from Patterson, although, I found this book a bit dull. The main character (Jack), felt like someone I would like to know, but never quite got there. It just seemed like very little character developement, which was a shame because he seemed to have so much "more to his story." The entire book felt a bit rushed to me, which is true of so many of Patterson's more recent works. I wish he would s-l-o-w down and tell us an indepth, well developed story, like he use to.
Ruth Turner
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-patterson

This is the second read for me and I enjoyed it just as much as the first.

As to be expected, it’s well written with likeable characters that I enjoyed spending time with.

The multiple storylines added to my interest, except for the Afghanistan flashbacks and dreams, which really did nothing for the story and seemed to be resolved a little too quickly

Overall, easy to read, fast paced and enjoyable.
Max
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the book was very exciting, I was intrigued, and couldn't put it down the book, until i was hungry. then i would go and get food, and continue reading the book. it had the perfect balance of action, suspense, and a nice finishing.
Kat
When will authors and audiobook studios realize that soundtracks in an audiobook causes a startle response in some people!?! Luckily it was only 5 or 6 times in the whole book and not every chapter, but it was stupid and unnecessary and left me missing part of the spoken text.

The chapters were more like "paragraphs" to me. Too short and somewhat choppy. I should have kept a list of character's first and last names because they switched back and forth so many times I sometimes got lost for a whil
Simon
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but for relatively short book, it has a lot of storylines, a home invasion murder, a serial killer of school girls, an NFL cheating scandal, the mob, a death threat--and that got in the way of the pacing. The serial killer storyline overwhelmed the home invasion murder storyline and vice versa at times and NFL thread only received lip service. An enjoyable book but with pacing issues.
Initial Reaction:

LOVED it! One of my favorite Patterson books ever! THIS is the Patterson we know and love!! I really hope that this turns into a new series like Alex Cross and Women's Murder Club. I truly loved all the characters and the story was dynamite!

About the Book:

Jack Morgan is a former CIA Agent and Marine who inherited Private Investigations, a firm who does first-class investigations for the elite, the rich, and the famous. Private has top-of-the-line equipment, a plethora of staff m
Giovanni Gelati
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Not a fancy title, but sometimes less is more, and in this case I think we get more. I am not going to be giving anyone a news flash that is a regular follower of my rants here @ The Scoop. I like James Patterson’s work. I read almost all of his work from his graphic novels (see our archives), young adult (Daniel X), and just about all his regular material. I got excited when I saw that he had this new series coming out: Private.
I really enjoyed this novel, I am not going to make any bones about
Aivel
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
The latest series of Patterson starring an ex-marine named Jack Morgan the leader of an ultra-high end private investigation firm. I gave this book 2 stars, it is an easy read with the plot going back and forth between three different cases and few personal situations. Now having three different cases in one novel can be a two edged sword, in one hand it will keep the readers form getting bored with every few pages showing a different story line but it can also and in the other it might keep the ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Private Series by James Patterson -> Starting June 3rd, 2018 13 17 Jun 22, 2018 12:31PM
Arters AP Literat...: Private 6 1 May 06, 2017 07:37AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 11 Mar 14, 2016 08:46AM
Goodreads Librari...: James Patterson Private Series confusion 3 31 Sep 16, 2015 07:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover of the book 6 21 Oct 13, 2014 07:06AM
  • Kisser (Stone Barrington, #17)
  • An Unfinished Death (Jane Perry)
  • Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15)
  • The Day America Told the Truth
  • The Last Surgeon
  • Don't Look Twice (Ty Hauck, #2)
  • Lost Souls (New Orleans, #5)
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • Twisted (Petra Connor, #2)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • Boys Will Be Boys
  • One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 375 million books worldwide and currently holds the Guinness World

Private (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Private #1 Suspect (Private, #2)
  • Private Games (Private, #3)
  • Private London (Private, #4)
  • Private Berlin (Private, #5)
  • Private L.A. (Private, #6)
  • Private: Oz (Private, #7)
  • Private India (Private, #8)
  • Private Vegas (Private, #9)
  • Private Paris (Private, #10)
  • Private Rio (Private, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon
  • The Things you find in Rockpools
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Through the Fog (Evan, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Up Country
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Surrogate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Teacher (DS Imogen Grey, #1)
  • Lies That Bind Us
  • The Einstein Prophecy
  • Blink
    $3.99 $1.49
“People Trust Me with their secrets, and I'm not sure why. It must be something in my face, probably my eyes.” 5 likes
“Justine pulled her Jag over to the side of the road and stared out at the landscape. I twirled the dial on her police band radio until the signal was clear. She opened her thermos, passed it over to me. I took a sip. The coffee was black, unsugared. That's the way Justine liked just about everything: straight up, no bullshit.” 2 likes