Start by marking “House Calls and Hitching Posts: Stories from Dr. Elton Lehman's Career Among the Amish” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  297 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Medical technology meets rural values of simplicity, home health remedies, and unwavering faith in divine providence when a country-boy-turned-country-doctor returns to his roots. House Calls and Hitching Posts is a sometimes humorous and often intimate account of Dr. Elton Lehman's 36 years practicing medicine among the Amish of Ohio, for which he was named Country Doctor ...more
Audio CD, 40 pages
Published May 1st 2013 by Good Books (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about House Calls and Hitching Posts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Calls and Hitching Posts

Candace
From the time he graduates from Osteopathic College, Dr.Elton Lehman is a gift to the Amish people of Wayne County, Ohio. He understands their lifestyle and needs in a way few individuals outside the close knit community could. This beautifully written collection of stories is touching and humorous from the earliest patient bringing his dismembered fingers in a container of Kerosene to the deeply moving story of the five Amish children killed by a hit and run driver while returning from a birthd ...more
Josiah
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! Full of fascinating stories of God's providence in the lives of the primarily Amish community of Ohio this book tells the story of Doctor Lehman who dedicated is life to the service of others in the service of Christ. His compassion, flexibility, understanding, and willingness to do everything possible to meet the needs of his patients makes him a true example to all of us.

I give the book four stars because even though I loved it the writing is far from stellar and at times is so d
Tina
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great compilation of the doctor's life! The author definitely knows how to put a story together. She had some great material - a combination of both serious and humorous adventures. This doctor certainly never had a dull moment in his life and those moments were wonderfully conveyed to the reader. What a great respect he has for the Amish people. He achieved great things and it seems he is not quite finished in his wonderous deeds. I would definitely recommend this book to others who want ...more
The RN Doula Etc
What an amazing book to read. It's a look into a life with a passion & calling. Of which this country doc does quite well. I totally enjoyed the author's clever way of making even the sad moments so vividly alive. Thank you to the good Dr. Elton Lehman & Dorcas Sharp Hoover for sharing this true life story!
Elaine
a little bland and confusing at times

A good portion of the book is about Amish women having babies at Barb's house with Doctor Lehman present. Some good stuff. Started out interesting enough but over time, became superfluous.

Eric Skaggs
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A look into Amish life through the eyes of a country Doctor. This guy lives minutes from my house.
Dennis O'Daniel
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and heartwarming book. Enjoyed it very much since I live in Ohio and have been to the area he practiced in.
Karla
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I appreciate what this Doctor did for his Amish community, I feel like this book is a bit pretentious. Doctors take an oath to serve the injured and hurt, the needs of the patient. And rare is it that we have Doctors these days that make house calls. Dr. Lehman did do that ... but not without the help of so many others to support him. They are but side notes around the "mighty" Dr. Lehman. This book is written in a "story a chapter" format but the writing is so redundant and elementar ...more
Loretta
Probably the only thing that bumped my rating up from 2 to 3 stars is that I know the area and went to school with Dr. Lehman's children, so just the mention of a road name could bring up an image in my mind. If not for that, I probably wouldn't have finished this book, the writing was just too unwieldy. The dialogue was incredibly awkward, and eventually I felt like I was reading the same scene repeatedly.

Ann
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the stories, but the writing style was just so simplistic. Conversation was stilted and artificial. The stories themselves kept me reading to the end. What a life!!!!
Maggie
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The writing of this book is hardly stellar; it is, in fact, awful. However, the life Dr. Elton Lehman has lived and the people he has served makes for very interesting reading.

Dr. Lehman chose to serve a community only a few miles from where he and his 11 siblings were raised because he firmly believed that his life was supposed to be a life of service to others and that God would lead him to the right place for him to work. Having been raised in a Mennonite area (though he was not a member of
Posadafan
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewing this book brings up an interesting point...is the reader's review to be based on the author's writing talents, or the overall bookreading enjoyment?

Dr. Lehman is an inspirational man, and his life of service among the Amish community provides many entertaining and insightful moments throughout the book. His story was one that was just begging for a book (not by himself, of course).

As mentioned by many of the reviewers here, the writing was at times repetitive...and often in the menti
Janet Godsoe
I feel a little torn on my rating for this one. Although the stories are really interesting and the insights into Dr. Lehman's experiences are very colorful, I found I didn't care for the author's writing style. She emphasized religion very heavily in many places - to the point where they seemed to be preaching more than reflecting his beliefs. She also had an odd way of writing in which she began one story, devolved into another story, then returned to the first again; sometimes incorporating a ...more
Brian Harris
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Locals with an interest in Amish culture.
Recommended to Brian by: The author.
The stories themselves are endearing and underscore that the "good old days" of American life where doors remained unlocked and professionals were accessible still exists if you choose to live that way.

There is a tremendous degree of redundancy, a pitfall of many contemporary non-fiction writers, where the author does not trust the reader to "get it" the first, fifth, or ninth time.

The written dialogue is awkward and forced at times. The author is trying to provide all necessary information thro
Jo
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book that could have been an American James Herriot....but completely wasn't. The overall structure and execution are fine, even good, with some prettily-written descriptive sentences throughout. The delivery was lacking, however - it especially suffered from improbable, pedantic dialogue - and I was annoyed by the unqualified endorsement of all things Amish. (Nothing in this book would disturb readers of Christian Amish chic lit.) Also, since half the book dealt with childbirth, I'll poin ...more
Jill
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author recounts warm and sometimes heartbreaking memories of Doctor Elton Lehamn’s 36 years of practicing medicine in Amish Country. The doctor respected the cultures of the community and adjusted his medical practice to accommodate their needs. You learn about the unusual partnership with an Amish midwife that led to the innovative Mount Eaton Care Center that allowed women to give birth in a more family friendly and less expensive setting than a hospital. The book covers interesting medica ...more
Lisa
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this an interesting little read, enjoying many of the memories and recollections, though some were very sad. Dr Lehman is an inspiration and an ordinary guy - he's not trying to be special or do anything special, but is just a good guy who gives his best to all. For me reading it in the u.k. is speaks of a whole different world as there is not really any communities even close to this over here. It has nothing particularly negative to say about anyone - and this feels a bit too good to b ...more
Tonya Warner
A great story. I enjoyed how it brings Dr. Elton Lehman and the many people and patients to life. It gives great insight in to the history of medicine as well as the Amish people.

Some of the anecdotes will make you laugh, some will make you cry. The stories definately give a clearer understanding of how working in a culture outside of your own takes a lot of dedication and faith. Faith in yourself and the faith of he patients you treat.
Robin
Sep 03, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far I'm really enjoying this. A nice insight into the Amish life from a non-amish that has been accepted into their world, as much as an outsider can be, as a local general practitioner. I was worried I'd be bored with this as it was a gift and not something I would normally pick up, but it's been a pleasant surprise. Well written and I find it even more interesting because the doctor's practice is in an area of Ohio that I'm familiar with.
Pat
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
House Calls is a story about a doctor in our area of Ohio who worked with the Amish, literally WITH them going beyond the call of duty to provide them with health care. The situations he finds himself unselfishly handling give you such respect for him and his wife! It reminded me of The Irish Country Doctor but not as well written. The writing is repetitive and simplistic bogging down quite frequently, but I did enjoy reading about my new home, Ohio and the Amish.
Deborah
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing was disjointed and simplistic throughout most of the book, but the story of this doctor's time serving an Amish community was sufficiently interesting to overlook the writing style. The chapter that tells the story of the children that were hit by a speeding car was told eloquently. The doctor's dedication to his patients is inspiring. And it was interesting to learn more about the Amish. If you are at all curious about the Amish you will like this book.
Duane
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book if you're interested the Amish way of life. Following the life of Dr. Lehman, a wonderful country doctor, you get to see the real way of life for people who care so much about each other. Filled with quaint folksy stories, real life dramas, and observations on how religion is the basis for their life, you'll enjoy the warm hearted memories. For lovers of medical stories, Amish stories, or simply clean humorous recollections, you'll love this book.
Andrea
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, medical
LOVED this book! I really liked reading about the true cases that this amazing country doctor dealt with. He really complied by his patient's wishes and gave optimal care no matter what their feelings on healthcare were. I really liked how supported he was by the city hospital as well. Small town/Amish communities really stick together.
Louise
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I highly recommend. it tells a story of a doctor who totally is dedicated to serving his community, not only as physician but also mayor of Mt Eaton. there may have once been doctors like Dr. Lehman but today we are lucky if we get a doctor who trtuly listens to us, This book makes me wish that I knew him or someone like him,. truly enjoyable read
Hilda Theriot
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Medicine in Amish Country

Great book with lots of heartwarming stories. Also provides a peek into the ways of Amish way of life for those who are not familiar with it.
Very interesting and well written. Just had to keep reading until I finished it!
Medicine is a calling not a business in Dr. Lehman' world.. The way it used to be!
Carey Henderson
The writing wasn't very good, the author went on unneccessary tangents & tended to get long-winded at times but, you could tell she had deep respect for Dr. Lehman & his work. Since it was about a local doctor & contained familiar places & customs it held my interest. If your looking for something simple to read, this is a great book for that.
Seoda
Apr 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the subject matter, but the marginal writing kept trowing me off. (Although, I will grant that trying to seamlessly integrate 35+ years worth of anecdotes was probably a challenge!)If you bemoan the lack of a personal touch in doctor/patient relationships, you may find that this book gives you a glimmer of hope.
Penny
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The majority of this book takes place near where I grew up so it was interesting to read how aomeone else sees places that I know. I think the end of the book strayed very far from the original premise to talk about an event that happened in the community. It went on at great length and I'm not sure what it really added to the telling of an otherwise interesting insight into a small culture.
Alison
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and inspiring read about a country doctor selflessly serving his community for years, this book kept me up past my bed time three nights in a row! Filled with both humoring as well as heart-breaking stories, be sure to keep some popcorn as well as tissues by your side.
Laurelyn
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone intested in medicine, amish, a simple lifestyle or enjoyed James Herriot,
Recommended to Laurelyn by: my mom
A simple account of Amish culture and rural medical practice, this book definitely has religious tones throughout without being preachy to the reader. The stories chosen to be included in this book makes one question our "modern" society and our views of family and loved ones...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Motherwit: An Alabama Midwife's Story
  • Amish Women
  • Amish Society
  • The Riddle of Amish Culture
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: I Can't Believe My Dog Did That!: 101 Stories about the Crazy Antics of Our Canine Companions
  • House at Royal Oak: Starting Over & Rebuilding a Life One Room at a Time
  • Diary of a Midwife: The Power of Positive Childbearing
  • Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor's First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • Amish Values for Your Family: What We Can Learn from the Simple Life
  • Orlean Puckett: The Life of a Mountain Midwife
  • A Yank Back to England: The Prodigal Tourist Returns
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir