Start by marking “An Improper Holiday” as Want to Read:
An Improper Holiday

An Improper Holiday

He followed all the rules until one man showed him a dozen ways to break them.

As second son to an earl, Ian Stanton has always done the proper thing. Obeyed his elders, studied diligently, and dutifully accepted the commission his father purchased for him in the Fifty-Second Infantry Division. The one glaring, shameful, marvelous exception: Nicholas Chatham, heir to the Ma
Published December 1st 2009 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about An Improper Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Improper Holiday

⚣Michaelle⚣
4 Stars

I really liked this one, and even though that ending was a bit contrived it worked perfectly for all the characters and is likely how a number of same-sex couples managed to stay together in previous eras.
Heather C
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Heather C by: Lauraadriana
Hmm, I wasn't really sold on Nicky and Ian. For one, I'm not a big fan of reunited lovers and I just wanted more romance from them then what I got. The sex was hot, though not up to the usual kinky standards that I'm used to seeing from this author.

I really liked the secondary characters and the overall plot, even though it was entirely predictable. I would also love to read a story about Lewes or Simmons.

Jenn
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, m-m
Typical hot Mitchell in an historical setting. I didn't like it as much as her full length books, but the chemistry was good, the historical setting not overly detailed (for someone not usually a fan of historical books, this is great), and a lot of fun.
Shelby
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ve enjoyed Ms. Mitchell’s writing on a fair number of occasions and “An Improper Holiday” is no exception. This is a lovely sweet holiday story for the ages.

Ian Stanton has returned from the Continent, alive, but sadly no longer whole. Having lost an arm to the war he is at loose ends in his life. As a younger son, and having been forced to resign his commission, he has no set path before him. When his brother, the new Earl of Rayne, calls him into his office Ian can image nothing but the wors
Betryal
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
It is when I read books like this one that I realize we are grateful to be in the 21st century where being attracted to the same sex is more acceptable than it was in that day and age.

This was to me a beautifully written story about the joys of two men coming together, sharing pleasures denied by the era they live in and finding a way to be together without discrimination. To me this was a story I would say is about Soul mates and no matter what they found their way back to each other and forsak
Ami
The thing is, I never really enjoy Historical stories. English is not my native and I find hard to connect to a story using "old" language that I don't really care about. So I end up not caring for these characters. Maybe it's a nice story but it's hard to feel it when I basically struggle to like the writing. I think I will stick to contemporary/future, thank you very much.
C
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amazon, mm-romance
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
An Improper Holiday by K.A. Mitchell was a charming historical romance read. I do think an accurate historical depicting a gay relationship is a particularly difficult thing to do and there is only a certain amount of scope. But, I think the book was well executed and a very sweet read. This author consistently delivers the goods and this gem is no exception. Totally sexy reading and the story has one particularly intriguing secondary character that totally deserves a HEA too.

Denise
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Perhaps it's a bit early to be reading Christmas-themed stories, but this one insisted I read it now. Short, sweet and steamy at the same time, this Regency era novella about two young men rekindling their forbidden romance after five years apart during Twelfth Night festivities at an aristocratic family's manor was a very enjoyable though occasionally frustrating (mostly due to Ian being a stubborn idiot) read.
Alison
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-e-things, queer, lgbtq
Pleasant. This was well-written and enjoyable.
Kassa
Dec 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I am a fan of KA Mitchell, so naturally picked up this holiday story. The scenic depiction of a snowy historical is fun and very fitting to the theme while the characters are interesting. Unfortunately the ending is slightly contrived and strained, mostly due to the importance of staying historically accurate. While this won’t bother most fans it does decrease my overall enjoyment of the book and ultimately this offering is not one of my favorites of the author. It’s not bad but here the histori ...more
Anita
This author just slays me! "I sodomized him just after Father purchased my commission, but I doubt that is the sort of influence you seek." Oh my gosh, the writing, the wit, the characters, the snark, the SEX. This is a rather short historical but Nicky and Ian burrowed themselves into my heart immediately. They are schoolboy friends and morphed into lovers. Ian goes off to war and is injured and after many years, meets Nicky again at a country house party. Ian is consumed with doing the right t ...more
Erastes
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-historical
At last–a Regency that reads like a Regency! K A Mitchell was not an author known to me, so I was pleasantly surprised to be drawn in immediately with dialogue that was perfectly formal and with a real sense of time and place.

It’s quite nicely researched, and I wish I had that to say more often. Usage of the word “marquisate” for example which is entirely correct, a journey by carriage to Derbyshire over vile, rutted roads which took days–and extended further because of the inconvenience of Ian’
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

An Improper Holiday is a m/m romance novella set during the Regency period. Regency people weren’t all that big on the actual day of Christmas (this was post-mistletoe, but pre-Christmas trees, cards, and presents). However, Regency people loved to party, and they kicked off their festivities on Christmas night and carried on for twelve days. Apparently there was some controversy over exactly when the twelve nights actually started and stopped. I like to
tacitus
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
This isn't a love story. It's a friends-with-benefits making an arrangement story. No, thank you.

This story was well written and all that, but I found it difficult to give it more than three stars simply because I didn't really like the characters. Well, to be frank, I didn't like one and simply couldn't understand the other.

Ian ran off to be a solider after his disastrous first time having sex with his lover Nicholas, only we're not actually sure if that's WHY he ran off. This is just the firs
Melanie~~
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet read. Nicky was most understanding and devoted until pushed so far that he couldn't be. I had guessed the plan before it was revealed but thought it could have been more complete. Then again, Ian's injury could easily explain why he might not ever marry. Still a very satisfying ending.

I liked the story and the use of language and imagery. It all seemed apropos for the setting.
SheReadsALot
I'm getting the grasp of K.A. Mitchell's character standards and I like.

Ian and Nicky find away to solidify their love during the Regency period which makes for some pretty tough fences to overcome. They find a way to wrangle through the fences and a way to be together. Enjoyable quick, holiday read with major substance.
A.B. Gayle
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just re-read this and picked up little bits I missed the first time, so I have lifted the rating.

This is so different from her contemporary books, but the Regency period comes through very well.

I'd love to read a story pased on one ofthe minor characters, Julian Lewes.
Elisa Rolle
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Lucy
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
No, nicky wasn't waiting, or pining or even,loving as far as I'm concerned . I wanted more for Ian, not the slutty Nicky who flaunts it
Kelly
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Ms. Mitchell writes historicals as beautifully as she writers her contemporaries, and I hope she revisits these characters in the future. Lewes is deserving of a story all his own, I think.
Wax
Re-read 12/11/17: I was rooting for Ian and Nicky, but the story just felt too long with not enough time spent together.
Saritza
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was such a delectable quick holiday read! K.A. Mitchell delivers again with a steamy historical romance that keeps the fires in the heart as warm as the ones in the hearth.

Summary: He followed all the rules…until one man showed him a dozen ways to break them.

Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How do you rekindle an romance that's been on hold for five years, and hold up the familial obligations, and keep the whole affair secret? That is the problem that confronts Ian and Nicky. They shared an intimate period of discovery before Ian answered the familial obligations of service in the military. Now he's back and not sure where he fits in now that he is disabled and just a little self conscious of how people will see him. Nicky doesn't care but how can he convince Ian of this, and get b ...more
Heather
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-1/2 Stars
An Improper Holiday is a wonderful blend of historical, drama, and romance wrapped together in a beautiful Christmas package. Ian and Nicky may not quite remember their time together the same but it's pretty obvious the feelings are still there and with the help of a younger scheming sister and the traditions of the holiday, maybe their future is not quite as unhappy as Ian thinks he's destined for. A great addition to my holiday library.
Martha H.
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read something light and romantic, and this certainly was. The writing was very clever and sexy, the characters reasonably developed for a novelette, though I didn't get a very good picture of their physical characteristics, which was a little bit weird not to be able to see them in my mind's eye.
A.P. Moraez
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-mm
Well, I had never read anything by this author before this, so going into this book was all uncharted territory. Fortunately, for the most part, this one was a pleasure to read. The writing was consistently fluid and to the point. Plus, the whole story is set during winter, so there's a lot of those cuddly scenes that make you feel very warm. Furthermore, the characters were sufficiently interesting, including the secondary ones, and the use of old-fashioned language on their dialogues made the ...more
Averin
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Another Samhain closure buy. Terrible formatting, ten or more pages of ads for other books.

As for the book, well, no wonder Mitchell never wrote more Regencies. All right, but nothing special, and didn't meet expectations for this author.
Charly
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well written and sweet

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- Ian and Nicky’s past together is revealed in just enough detail early on that it made me instantly curious to read more about them.
- I love the fact that Ian is not physically perfect. The author examines his thoughts and feelings (both mental and physical) pertaining to his amputated arm in a good amount of detail. His musings about it are pervasive, but I didn’t find them annoying;
Blackravens Reviews
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Taz’s Review:

In An Improper Holiday by K. A. Mitchell, we follow Ian Stanton who recently returned from war. He and his sister attend the New Year’s party thrown by his former lover, Nicholas Cartham, and all of the old feelings he had experienced years ago resurfaced. As the weekend progresses, Ian fights his urge to reconnect with Nicky. Unbeknownst to Ian, Nicky and a slew of other characters are working to bring them together and what unravels by the end of the story is an ending that leaves
« previous 1 3 next »

• Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Seducing Stephen
  • An Agreement Among Gentlemen
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Discreet Young Gentleman
  • Frost Fair
  • A Promise of Tomorrow
  • The Dark Farewell
  • Angel's Evolution
K.A. Mitchell discovered the magic of writing at an early age when she learned that a carefully crayoned note of apology sent to the kitchen in a toy truck would earn her a reprieve from banishment to her room. Her career as a spin-control artist was cut short when her family moved to a two-story house, and her trucks would not roll safely down the stairs. Around the same time, she decided that Ch ...more
“I possess the three things guaranteed to make life pleasant: wealth, power and a big
cock.”