Start by marking “Diamond in the Rough” as Want to Read:
Diamond in the Rough

Diamond in the Rough (The Men of Medicine Ridge #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,482 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Sassy Peale is desperate to help her family, but her meager salary doesn't stretch far. Then she meets John Callister, and she thinks her new friend is an honest-to-God cowboy--rugged and trustworthy.
But John isn't a ranch hand, he's a millionaire from one of Montana's most powerful families! And when Sassy finds out who he really is, she's certain the arrogant millionair
ebook, Harlequin Romance #4087, 192 pages
Published April 1st 2009 by Harlequin Presents

To ask other readers questions about Diamond in the Rough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diamond in the Rough

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was a fun, sweet read by one of my favorite authors. John is probably one of the nicest heroes that Diana Palmer has ever written. Yes he did pretend to be a modest cowboy, but you can't hold that against him, considering his past. From the beginning, he reaches out and helps Sassy with no underlying motives. He sees the good and the beauty in a small-town, simple girl who has sacrificed everything for her sick mother and adopted sister.

Although I love her writing, and don't have any issues
Ryn
Mar 06, 2011 Ryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. Goodness. If it were possible to issue a negative rating, I definitely would have done so. Romance novels all try to spoon-feed readers a little bit; they seem to spell the plot out, and cheesiness is expected.

This book was so much worse.

Rather than focus on all the horrific things (weak plot, one-dimensional characters, pure sap, etc.), I'm just going to focus on the most horrific thing: the style of writing. I can't even describe the kind of language this novel used. It was so simpli
Jenny
Feb 13, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super sweet heroine and a very smitten hero who is a true prince charming. He saves the heroine and her family from poverty, from sickness and even from an evil guy who tries to rape our heroine. I want John Callister all to myself!
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
A sweet but sedate Cinderella tale, with all the DP staples. But also without any of her usual nasties.

The h is a poor and naive (almost gauche) 19 years old, and he's a 'millionaire' rancher. He comes to town and keeps his identity secret. He’s fascinated with her from the word go and pursues her in a sweet gentlemanly way. There’s not much of a plot/story but he keeps helping her one way or the other and she’s also attracted to him. So they tumble along to an engagement, minor mu, wedding, wed
Miss Kodok

John Callister, seorang pria tampan dan kaya pemilik sebuah peternakan sapi terkenal dari Medicine Ridge, Montana. Mereka baru saja membeli sebuah peternakan yang telah lama ditinggalkan pemiliknya di Hollister. Peternakan yang telah rusak tak terawat itu membutuhkan dana yang tidak sedikit untuk dihidupkan kembali. Untuk mencegah melambungnya harga barang-barang yang dibutuhkan karena namanya, John menyembunyikan identitas dirinya dan datang ke Hollister sebagai seorang mandor pekerja bernama J
Perdani Budiarti
Seorang pria berpendirian teguh yang langsung berkomitmen untuk menikah dengan sang tokoh wanita dengan jarak usia cukup jauh dalam cerita karya Diana Palmer? Hmm, aku tidak ingat pernah menemukannya sebelum John Callister di buku ini. Memang pada awalnya pria ini hanya menganggap Sassy sebagai sosok rapuh seorang wanita yang ditimpa kemalangan: ditinggalkan ayahnya sejak kecil, punya seorang ibu yang menderita kanker dan seorang adik angkat yang masih kecil, dan terakhir mengalami pelecahan sek ...more
Fiary
Jun 22, 2012 Fiary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rasanya rindu banget dengan gaya DP yg dulu….

Sassy Peale, gadis manis di usia belia telah menjadi tulang punggung keluarga. Setelah ayahnya kabur bersama wanita lain, dan ibunya didera sakit kanker serta masih ditambah lagi dia memiliki adik angkat berusia 6 thn, tak pelak lagi Sassy lah yg menjadi tumpuan utk membiayai kehidupan keluarga kecil Peale.
Pekerjaan apa yg bisa didapat Sassy yg hanya tamatan SMA di kota kecil Hollister selain sebagai penjaga toko pakan ternak.
Sayangnya, Sassy sering
Barbara
May 17, 2013 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, Diane Palmer writes books that are character-driven and enjoyable (Renegade); other times, she writes the same book over and over again, employing the same fiction tropes and it gets old after a while (Diamond in the Rough). This book is part of her series, “The Men of Medicine Ridge”, and focuses on wealthy rancher John Callister and his romance with sweet, naïve Cassandra (“Sassy”) Peale.

My first objection to this book is the age of the characters; John is 30, Sassy is 19 and innoce
Danielle
Feb 26, 2010 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice, simple read. Nothing too strenuous at all. It was a typical Diana Palmer with a naive and unworldly heroine and a hero who is much older than the heroine and much, much, much richer. Sassy Peale unlike other Diana Palmer heroines is extremely poor and lives in a house with her sick mother and her mother's six year old adopted daughter. At the age of nineteen, Sassy has to bear the brunt of providing for her family on the meagre salary she made as an assistant at the feed st ...more
Erotic Horizon
I have been reading Ms. Palmers books since forever and to be honest she is an auto buy for me – I know her protags are so stereotypical and she more or less has a mould that she sticks to – but i can’t resist any book that she write..

She has the whole testosterone alpha male character done to an art and while some times her female shows some sign of a fight, they are more or less the girly type who generally roll over and die type.

With DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH it is no different.

We are introduced t
Kaycee ❤️
READ: JUNE 2013
RE-READ: DECEMBER 2014

As usual, Diamond In The Rough is your typical Palmer’s books that deals with age difference between the hero and heroine. In this book, we have John Callister, a millionaire, who run a multi-million dollar ranching enterprise. And decided to revive a run down ranch without revealing his true identity. Sassy Peale is a sweet and gentle woman who has a difficult life. She has to support her ailing mother and siblings on a meager salary.

John Taggert, suddenly
Pam
Jun 13, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diamond in the Rough is by Diana Palmer.
John Callister has come to Hollister to start a new ranch under the ageus of the Callister Empire in Montana. He decides he wants to be accepted for himself and not as a Callister so he uses his middle name and sets himself as overseer of the renovations taking place on the ranch.
Sassy Peale is a pretty young girl who comes with baggage. She lives with and takes care of her mother and adopted little sister. She is trying to keep food on the table and clo
Amy
Nov 03, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was bad. So bad, I didn't even bother listening to the last half hour of the audiobook. The narrator was pretty good, but oh my gosh. The characters? Let's just make them so unrealistic it hurts. Man: a eco-conscious rich cowboy who really wants children and has bright shiny knight's armor. Teenager: pretty girl with no relationship experience for some odd reason with just about everything wrong in her life to make her a huge sob story, from sexual assault at work to a mom with lung cancer ...more
Joanne
Nov 02, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a combination of two books.

1- Sassy is the sole supporter of her dying mother and mothers ward. She has a meager job and having a hard time with expenses so she can't quit her job when her boss makes inappropriate advances. Enter John who is a millionaire and takes Sassy under his wing but Sassy thinks he is just a foreman of the new ranch. Will Sassy find out the truth who John really is or will they fall in love and his money doesn't matter?

2-Maggie & Nate. Maggie was a long time
Cassandra
It is one of her best and I like the fact that you get to see other characters from Circle of gold and see how they progress. Really good book, not her usual formula of "rich man meets girl, girl falls for guy, misunderstanding leads to horrible insults on being poor/fat/plain/etc, something bad happens to girl, man realizes that he loves girl, man tries and succeeds in winning girl, live happily ever after." This time, yes the guy is rich, but the only misunderstanding is she doesn't know he's ...more
Megami
May 12, 2016 Megami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I had just finished Circle of Gold and I was really intrigued by John. I was hoping that his story would shine a light on his past, but it really didn't. It kind of skimmed on why he was guarded... woman wanted to use him for money, pretty much. I also don't like that Palmer always makes her heroines "straight out of high school" and her hero's are at least 10 years older. It's weird. I wouldn't mind the age gap if the heroines were at least over 20. Based on review ...more
Heather
Dec 19, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-review
Cute light read

*reread in 7/2015.
Forgot I read this until a page in. Then I recalled it was a good story and just decided it was good enough for a re-read. Even an accidental one.

Basic story plot is of a rich farmer who is fixing up a run down farm and bringing it into the tech age of cattle breeding. What he expected was alot of work that would not only benefit him and his brother but the town they are bringing all this work too. What he didn't expect was to have this little young mousy female
Joni
May 05, 2014 Joni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Callister comes to town to get the ranch up and running that his family just bought. He is super rich but tells everybody he is the hired manager of the Ranch. Sassy works at the local feed shop to support her sick mother and little adopted sister. The person she works for is not at all nice to her and John notices that and her. John saves the day on so many levels, Sassy adores him. That is until he discovers he has been lying to her the whole time about who he is. John has to work to get ...more
Sari
Jul 08, 2012 Sari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Satu kalimat paling cocok buat buku ini "Too Good to be true"

Klo dongeng" Disney meracuni pikiran anak" bahwa jika menjadi anak yg baik maka dimasa yang akan datang, ia akan mendapatkan jodoh pangeran berkuda putih suata saat nanti, nah buku ini akan meracuni wanita" single bahwa jika dia miskin namun mau berusaha keras, suatu saat pangeran tampan yang kaya raya akan menyelamatkannya dari kemiskinan. kekeke.....

Alur ceritanya terlalu klise, terlalu muluk, terlalu dongeng, sampe bacanya gw serasa
Vera
Jan 19, 2017 Vera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John's family brought a very run down ranch to expand. But when he met Sassy in the hardware store, didn't give his full name. Wanted to not be thought by the people in town as person with lots of money, just one of the cowboys. Never even thinking of having major feelings for Sassy.

But when he does, is it too late to let Sassy know who he really is?? Lots of difference in their age and money. Very great love story.

Would recommend to others. Have read books by Diana Palmer before, and as always
Deb Diem
Jan 19, 2016 Deb Diem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diamond in the Rough is a fantastic feel good book by Diana Palmer. This well written book is a fast paced read. Ms Palmer has delivered lovable characters, drama, action and just a little steam. I enjoyed Diamond in the Rough and look forward to reading more from Diana Palmer in the future. Diamond in the Rough is book 3 in the Men of Medicine Ridge Series but can be read as a standalone. This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.

I won a copy of this book in a Facebook contest.
Melodie
Sep 08, 2016 Melodie marked it as abandoned-reading  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy the Cinderella type stories but I had to give this one up. The feminist in me do not like the heroine. I don't care that she's from a small town but it annoys me no end when she doesn't seem to want anything more. It's one thing to be stuck in a place because of financial constraints, it's another to be content there because you don't think the rest of the world has anything more to offer. I can't get over that so I had to give this one up.
Jenny Schwartz
Nov 10, 2010 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I like rescue stories, and I'm prepared to suspend disbelief to enjoy them. But this one pushed me too far. Things were so awful for the young heroine that she didn't seem real and as for the hero. I'd have kicked him in the ankle. I don't like liars.

All that said, I liked the sheriff and I've pre-ordered his story.
Jenny
Apr 07, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a smaller book and the story line felt rushed besides the fact that I didn't like having a 19 year girl be the "heroine" of this Harlequin romance novel. Her age is addressed in the book but it didn't help me. To me this is the type of book that if you did a "where are they now?" the characters would not still be together.
Donna Schwartz
This story had a lot of missed opportunities. It could have included a lot more action; there were a lot of missed opportunities. Then I realized that the book actually included another piece by a different author! I felt kind of mislead!
The second story was actually at least as good if not slightly better than Palmer's story.
Sherry
Feb 03, 2009 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give Diamond in the Rough 3 and a half stars. Although the plot is somewhat formulaic, Palmer fans will happily forgive the author for this because the story is exactly what they want; sweet, with involved characters and of course the expected and demanded for, happy ending. A definite must read for Palmer and romance fans alike.
Morgan
Aug 08, 2013 Morgan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The whole she's 19 and he's 32 thing is a little skeevy. I think even Diana Palmer was a little uncomfortable because there were fewer loves scenes than in other novels. Which I was okay with because she's 19...
Yulia Anggraini
Adem ayem ajaaah...
G kek crita tante DP yg biasax...Herox g sombong,g ad marah2 g jelasx,g ad pkiran jelek...Pokokx hero yg satu in baiiik sangat...Jd aneh rasax ktmu hero tante DP yg g pengen dhantam kepalax... ;p
ooh tp yg cew x msih khas tante DP,umurx msih 19thun...He3h...
Gladys
It's one of the nicer, shorter stories that Diana Palmer has made. That said, it's one of the last short stories that I'll ever read by DP. I'd much rather read one of her longer, more thought-out stories. overall rating 2.7
Vickie O'neal
Jul 21, 2012 Vickie O'neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a true Diana Palmer story. If I don't cry through the book it's not worth reading. She always brings the true spirit of people out in her books. Makes you appreciate what you have in life.
  • Stampeded (Whitehorse, MT: Chisholm Cattle Co., #4)
  • Colter's Wife
  • At Home In Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #6)
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • Love's Legacy
  • A Contract Bride's Triple Surprise  (Bride Train, #2)
  • To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)
  • Calder Storm (Calder Saga #10)
  • Hartley's Crush (Wild, #5)

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...

The Men of Medicine Ridge (4 books)
  • Circle of Gold (The Men of Medicine Ridge, #1)
  • The Wedding in White (The Men of Medicine Ridge, #2)
  • Will of Steel (The Men of Medicine Ridge, #4)