Start by marking “Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)” as Want to Read:
Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)

Smuggler's Moon

(Sir John Fielding #8)

Off the water that separates England from France, near the seaside town of Deal, the practice of "owling," a local term for the illegal cargo trade, thrives on the moonlit beaches. Blind judge Sir John Fielding and his young protege Jeremy Proctor have been sent to Deal to question the town magistrate, accused of complicity in the smuggling. — But just as their investigati ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Berkley Books (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Smuggler's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smuggler's Moon

Start your review of Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
Stacie  Haden
Another excellent addition to the series!

England 1772
Mary JL
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of mysteries; historical fiction or history
Shelves: mystery-horror
This is an excellent historical mystery. Sir John Fielding is shown through the eyes of his young assistant, the narrator, Jeremy. The story is exciting in it self--not a huge amount of fast action or swashbuckling sword fights. Rather, is is a suspenseful unraveling carefully clue to clue to bring murderers to justice.

I particularly liked the way Sir John fielding ws portrayed. In much fiction that I have read, blind people are either superhuman with no faults--or dolts. Sir John has enought hu
Bonnieb
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
While 8th in the series of Sir John Fielding mysteries, this is the 3rd I have read. I always appreciate Alexander’s story-telling even when little suspense exists...as in this one. Alexander is a good teller of tales... of the times, the city, the geography, and the mystery. This time Sir John, as magistrate, is given a special assignment in the countryside; more death and mayhem occurred in this novel than previous ones. Jeremy, his young charge, is 17 in 1772, and is now studying law under th ...more
LJ
SMUGGLER’S MOON - VG
Alexander, Bruce – 8th in series
Sir John Fielding, a blind, 18th-century London judge, and his orphan accomplice, Jeremy, visit the smuggler's haven of Deal in order to check on a supposedly crooked magistrate. The pair find murder and more in this latest edition to a very good series.

While the mystery was not overly complicated, I so love the characters, sense of time and place and almost gentle style of the author, I know I can always turn to this series for a reliably goo
CindySlowReader#MaskItOrCasket
Can't finish, not interesting enough, no rating.
Christopher Taylor
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant read, continuing the story of Jeremy Proctor's growth and education in law while serving a Sir John Fielding's assistant. The mystery its self was not particularly challenging, and the bad guy was painfully obvious, but the characters are engaging and it is rewarding to read how Jeremy and Clarissa's relationship is changing over time as they age.
Paul Weiss
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A somewhat predictable but thoroughly entertaining period mystery

"Smuggler's Moon", Bruce Alexander's eighth novel in the highly acclaimed Sir John Fielding series, is neither the cozy, lightweight mystery (à la Agatha Christie or Susan Wittig-Albert) nor the historical thriller that many readers might expect. It might more accurately be categorized as an atmospheric and compelling investigation set within a graphic description of 18th century Georgian England.

Jeremy Proctor, the 17 year old or
Carl
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Packed with rich historical detail, “Smuggler's Moon” is the 8th in the series of Sir John Felding historical mysteries. Bruce Alexander has given readers on of the best historical mysteries; his research is excellent providing the reader with strong local color, well developed colorful characters, and gripping plot lines. The protagonist is a blind 18th century London magistrate Sir John Fielding, who is based on a real historical character, while the story is told through the eyes of his young ...more
Virginia Tican
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kent... about 35 miles across the Narrow Sea or the English Channel from France and one of the foremost landing sites for smuggling the most coveted (specially by the rich and titled) luxury items from the continent. Sir John and Jeremy were tasked by Lord Mansfield, the Lord Chief Justice, to look into the derogatory reports regarding the Magistrate of Deal in Kent whom Lord Mansfield himself appointed. Clarissa also went with her menfolk to Kent in the absence of Lady Fielding. The rivalry bet ...more
Liz V.
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, the Lord Chief Justice has asked Magistrate Sir John Fielding to look into a complaint about another magistrate, this time in the town of Deal, notorious for smuggling. Accompanied by wards Clarissa and Jeremy and a Bow Street Runner, Fielding sets out to determine whether his fellow magistrate is corrupt, incompetent or maligned.

This is a series best read in order and not as I am doing--backtracking to read books I've missed.
Sandy Shin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
A trip to Deal to mediate in a dispute between local landowner and the local magistrate leads to a small war, a naval encounter and discovery of the head of the smuggling operation.
This series is very satisfying
JB
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great series and this one is no exception - good story, well written.
pearl_seeker
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another excellent addition to the Sir John Fielding series. Lots of action in this book - murder, smuggling, cannons, a sword fight - the most swashbuckling adventure yet for our heroes!
Rhonda
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it
as usual, i liked this next installment. it wasn't my favorite, but was good. it doesn't seem that anything has really progressed with jeremy, though he is starting to notice girls a bit more - maybe clarissa and he will have a relationship in the future? he is still 17. sir john's family gets another new member - at least for the time being ( who know?). it was an interesting picture of corruption in government, and the way that personal feelings are in play for even the most trusted of officia ...more
Wendy
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bruce Alexander's Sir John Series are wonderful. Smuggler's Moon richly describes London (and beyond) in 1772. Protagonist Jeremy Proctor deftly describes the atmosphere and Times. Alexander smoothly writes in Jeremy Proctor's voice in a way you would think they spoke back then. These books are a delight. I am going to be saddened when I finish the series. ...more
Beth
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the Sir John Fielding Mystery series, and Smuggler's Moon is a particularly good one. Sir John's young assistant and protégé, Jeremy Proctor, is sent to a small sea side town that is mysteriously wealthy to find out who has been smuggling goods onto its beaches. Murder ensues and Sir John must take over the investigation, despite being blind. Delightful characters abound and eighteenth century life, for the rich and poor, comes to life.
Niffer
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I felt like this John Fielding mystery started out a little slow. There were a lot of pieces that needed to be put in place before the action could really start. This also felt very much like a transitional story--the author seems to be setting things up for some big changes in the future. Overall, though, it was enjoyable with plenty of action.
Hilary
Gentle mystery featuring blind judge who solves the mystery. Even though the writing was well-composed, the story left me flat. Not a good fit for me. I can appreciate the appeal the novel may have for others, though.
KA
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
My favorite of this series so far. It's full of excitement (mingled with sadness, though), and Jeremy gets a very active role, with Clarissa also playing a bigger role than previously. These books would make great television.
Meggie
The main storyline in this book was fast paced and predictable. But even so, I enjoyed listening to an audio formatted version of this story. Jeremy and Sir John gave their best, to solve the mystery, and at the end won.
Anyway, good work!
Sandy Bell
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this series. Simple, fun, entertaining, interesting characters. Sure, not book club discussion material, but that's okay. Reading for pleasure is as much fun as reading for literary brilliance. I say, "Go for it."
Sherrie
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
I've read several of Bruce Alexander's Sir John Fielding series and they have all been good so far. If you enjoy historical mysteries, you'll enjoy these books.
Elsi
I received this book in a swap. Since I enjoyed reading it, I've now bought the first book in the series to catch up on all the characters.
Joe
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
Dorothy
Aug 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Sir John Fielding and his "posse" challenge smugglers operating in the waters off the coast of England in this eighth book in a fine, entertaining and educational series.
Donna
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another great one in this series.
Josephine
could not put this down. If you like mysteries and old england you'll love this
Ann
Enjoyable to read, as always. The criminal was completely obvious in this one, but the writing and the sense of time and place are so strong that I really didn't care.
Janice
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Love this series! What can I say? They just get beter and better.
Rusty
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: detective
Set in the 18th century; earnest; obvious plot; pretentious.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect ISBN 3 14 Feb 09, 2019 02:17PM

• Murder at Whitby Abbey (Abbess of Meaux #10)
  • The Magic Fish
  • The Bookman’s Tale
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Transforming: The Bible & the Lives of Transgender Christians
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • The Yard (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #1)
  • Emma, der Faun und das vergessene Buch
  • An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #7)
  • Everyday Lies
  • La Fille de Vercingétorix (Astérix, #38)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • 35 Garden Blueprints: Beautiful Possibilities for Designing Your Garden
  • Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)
  • The Woman in the Water (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.1)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)

News & Interviews