Start by marking “Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)” as Want to Read:
Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)

Asterix and the Soothsayer

(Astérix #19)

One dark and stormy night, a sinister visitor arrives in the little Gaulish village. Prolix, who claims too be a soothsayer, prophesies that when the storm is over the weather will improve. And it does! Now the credulous villagers believe every word he says, but Asterix has his suspicions of the smooth-talking Prolix. Who is really right about the soothsayer?
Published December 16th 2004 by Asterix (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and the Soothsayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and the Soothsayer

Start your review of Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)
Oliver
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For some reason I never used to like Soothsayer. I have reformed my opinion. A charlatan Soothsayer comes to the village, driving the Gauls into a frenzy of ambition and envy. The Romans see an opportunity, only for Centurion Voluptuous Arteriosclerosus to himself become convinced by the Soothsayer. Chaos and biffing follow...
Christine
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
What is a soothsayer to do when confronted by Asterix?

He should've run away. Luckily, he didn't, so Asterix and Getafix get to set him straight.

I'm with Obelix, no dog readers for me, thank you!
Lian Dewatmoko
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
This book tells us not to believe to soothsayer. God has his willing. Think first before we believe what people said.

The story began with a terrible storm in the village that scared everyone, especially because the druid was not in the village. Then, the soothsayer came and told everything, people began to belive what he said. Not only the Gaul, even the Roman believed what he said.

That's why we need to think clearly before we believe what people said, especially if that come from a big mouth p
Neens Bea
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2017
A lucky find - I love all the Asterix comics!
Richie Brown
I remember reading this as an eight year old and not really understanding what was going on with Prolix the Soothsayer. I think I still believed he was magical even by the end which, of course, is the point. We should see him as a fraud from the word go. So, while this wasn't a favourite first time round, in the same way something like Asterix at the Olympic Games was, it's a great read some years after.
Matthew Hunter
Far from my favorite in the series. The redundant interactions between soothsayer and centurion wear. I did enjoy the fish-linked humor bits, and the discussions about the reliability of entrail reading as sources of prophecy made me laugh (and cringe when the soothsayer wants to use Dogmatix as reading material!). Does anyone else think the pirates need an intervention? Poor saps.
Maria Carmo
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Asterix and Obelix have to keep their rational as a would be soothsayer creates havoc in the village and also among Romans!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 20 March 2015.
Benjamin
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun. The first I have read from the series, and I will be back for more.

my favorite quote: "Can I have a taste?"
Derek James Baldwin
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites, with some excellent satire of psychics generally and the usual array of puntastic names.
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How intresting that a soothsayer may bring about the end of our favourite village. In the end as always, it all becomes just as we remember, a big feast at the end.
Christina Scholz
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First Asterix I read in English - and it's so much funnier than the German translation!
Luis Tormento
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frightened by a thunderstorm, the Gauls — with the exception of Getafix, who is at his annual druid meeting — are huddled in the chief's hut, when they are visited by a soothsayer, called Prolix, who predicts that "when the storm is over, the weather will improve" and additionally predicts a fight (caused by the villagers' habitual argument over the over-ripeness of fish sold by fishmonger Unhygenix). Asterix alone correctly identifies the soothsayer as a charlatan. Upon Prolix's departure, the ...more
Anna
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
During a bad storm, a soothsayer arrives in our Gaulish village. Most of the villagers fall under his spell when he starts predicting favourable things about them. Only Asterix is the sceptic.

Makes surprisingly deep statements about human nature; apart from that, standard Asterix fare.
Vitalia
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: french, humour
That was good fun as usual.
A soothsayer comes to the village during a storm and creates trouble as everyone starts taking him seriously.
A good few laughs, and always nice to dive into the world of Astérix and Obelix for an hour.
Biondatina
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a dark and stormy night, when a stranger knock the door and asks for shelter.... A bit later wants to "read" Intefix bones and Ovelix is furious... and the troubles begin!
Saint No Stopping Us

Six out of ten. CBR format.

On a dark and stormy night a Soothsayer arrives in town. Everyone believe his every word - except for Asterix of course.

Larisa
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny
Jc
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Want to know your future? Consulting a soothsayer may be just the answer.
Francis Pellow
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
one of the classic Asterix stories. Notable that the magic potion plays only the most minor part in the action and all the drama results from the great characters.
Little Red Hat
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this as a prize in a Bookcrossing graphic novel sweepstake recently, and with the passing of Albert Uderzo yesterday, I decided to read it today in his memory and honour.

Asterix's village, the last Gaul settlement holding out against Roman invasion, is visited by the mysterious Prolix, an alleged soothsayer. He manipulates the Gauls into bringing him food by promising them wonderful futures, and they believe him utterly - with the exception of our sceptical hero. When Prolix is later
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a dark and stormy night in the village. Everyone is in the chief's house when someone knocks at the door. It's a guy claiming to be a soothsayer (a fortune-teller). Although he's a total fake, he manages to convince the villagers that he's real and they bring him lots of food and money.

He ends up in the Roman camp and agrees to get the Gauls out of the village which he manages to do by pretending the village is cursed. The Romans briefly occupy the village, but Getafix, Asterix and Obelix
Jerome
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet-talking soothsayer arrives at the village and soon fools everyone into believing his garbage, except the skeptical Asterix (the druid is out of town). The soothsayer soon manipulates the entire village into doing his bidding, until the Romans receive orders to arrest all soothsayers in the area (requiring a duplicitous game on the soothsayer’s part to survive).

Humorous, with the obvious themes being gullibility and superstition.
Karhum Ghassan
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book tells us not to believe a soothsayer.According to gods wills we have to use our brains before we believe or do/say something.if we do thing without thinking we lose not others.At the end we find out he is not a soothsayer he is a liar, that's why we need to think clearly before we believe what people say, especially if that come's from a big mouthed person.
Frederick Tan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
It was a dark and stormy night, and a sinister visitor has arrived in the little Gaulish village where Asterix lives. Prolix claims he's a soothsayer, and the townsfolk believe every word he says. Only Asterix knows better. How can he make all his friends see the truth? Asterix will have his job cut out for him as he battles to reveal the real Prolix before it is too late.
Vanja Antonijevic
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
At # 19, this is about the superstisions and gullability of people.

The Wiki summary:

"One stormy night, the Gauls — with the exception of Getafix, who is on a druid meeting — are huddled in the chief's hut, fearing for their lives. But then, a man enters the hut in a burst of lightning - it is a soothsayer, who promptly proceeds to see the future for our superstitious Gauls..."

Molly
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very clever satire on credulity with writer Goscinny at his absolute best. But Uderzo s close behind with some sumptuous drawings featuring a particularly good storm sequence at the start. A really enthralling home based story with lots of thoughtful warnings about sharp people exploiting popular superstition and our own vain ambitions.
Murshidul Hasan
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The future is told by the fortuneteller, however he is in for a surprise when Asterix is determined to prove him fake. The soothsayer falls into the hands of the Romans, whereas the whole Gaulish village is deceived as well. The confusion in the village and the utter confusion in the Roman camp as well!
Shruthi Natarajan
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first Asterix comic... and it was sooooo cute and funny!!! Of course, I need to read more of them to get to the funniest of them all. Asterix and the Soothsayer was a very good way of introducing all the characters to me, and I laughed quite a bit at a few points. I just realised I haven't told goodreads that I have finished all the Tintin books- So I have to that ! :)
Denim Datta
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Book no 19 from Asterix and Obelix Series.

In a stormy night Prolix has arrived in the Gaulish village. Prolix claims he's a soothsayer, and the townsfolk believe every word he says. Only Asterix knows better.
How can he make all his friends see the truth?

Good and funny book.
Sumeer G
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
How soothsayers/Godmen are made - a problem my own country knows only too well.

It made me recall a quote - "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

One of the most relatable and funniest Asterix books I've read.

• Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Asterix and the Actress (Astérix, #31)
  • Asterix and the Picts (Asterix, #35)
  • Der Papyrus des Cäsar (Asterix, #36)
  • The Seven Crystal Balls (Tintin, #13)
  • Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin, #22)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin #10)
  • Tintin and the Picaros (Tintin, #23)
  • Asterix Conquers America
  • The Red Sea Sharks (Tintin, #19)
  • The Calculus Affair (Tintin, #18)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Prisoners of the Sun (Tintin, #14)
  • Land of Black Gold (Tintin, #15)
  • Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12)
René Goscinny (1926 - 1977) was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Asterix , which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age). ...more

Astérix (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)