Start by marking “Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)” as Want to Read:
Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)

Asterix and the Soothsayer

(Astérix #19)

One dark and stormy night, a sinister visitor arrives in the little Gaulish village. Prolix, who claims too be a soothsayer, prophesies that when the storm is over the weather will improve. And it does! Now the credulous villagers believe every word he says, but Asterix has his suspicions of the smooth-talking Prolix. Who is really right about the soothsayer?
Published December 16th 2004 by Asterix (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and the Soothsayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and the Soothsayer

Start your review of Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)
Oliver
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For some reason I never used to like Soothsayer. I have reformed my opinion. A charlatan Soothsayer comes to the village, driving the Gauls into a frenzy of ambition and envy. The Romans see an opportunity, only for Centurion Voluptuous Arteriosclerosus to himself become convinced by the Soothsayer. Chaos and biffing follow...
Christine
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
What is a soothsayer to do when confronted by Asterix?

He should've run away. Luckily, he didn't, so Asterix and Getafix get to set him straight.

I'm with Obelix, no dog readers for me, thank you!
Gary
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A traveller, claming to be a soothsayer, takes refuge in the village. It isn't long, before the entire village is in his thrall, desperate to believe the wonderful things he has foretold.
Only Asterix sees him for what he really is. A fraud, who lives off peoples credulity.
Even Obelix is taken in by his sweet talk, and falls in love with Geriatrixs' rather gorgeous wife.
The false soothsayer falls into the hands of the Romans and is promised his freedom if he can get the Gauls to leave the village
Lian Dewatmoko
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
This book tells us not to believe to soothsayer. God has his willing. Think first before we believe what people said.

The story began with a terrible storm in the village that scared everyone, especially because the druid was not in the village. Then, the soothsayer came and told everything, people began to belive what he said. Not only the Gaul, even the Roman believed what he said.

That's why we need to think clearly before we believe what people said, especially if that come from a big mouth p
Matthew Hunter
Far from my favorite in the series. The redundant interactions between soothsayer and centurion wear. I did enjoy the fish-linked humor bits, and the discussions about the reliability of entrail reading as sources of prophecy made me laugh (and cringe when the soothsayer wants to use Dogmatix as reading material!). Does anyone else think the pirates need an intervention? Poor saps.
Benjamin
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun. The first I have read from the series, and I will be back for more.

my favorite quote: "Can I have a taste?"
Derek James Baldwin
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites, with some excellent satire of psychics generally and the usual array of puntastic names.
Nina
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2017
A lucky find - I love all the Asterix comics!
Phoenix Scholz-Krishna
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First Asterix I read in English - and it's so much funnier than the German translation! ...more
Luis Tormento
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frightened by a thunderstorm, the Gauls — with the exception of Getafix, who is at his annual druid meeting — are huddled in the chief's hut, when they are visited by a soothsayer, called Prolix, who predicts that "when the storm is over, the weather will improve" and additionally predicts a fight (caused by the villagers' habitual argument over the over-ripeness of fish sold by fishmonger Unhygenix). Asterix alone correctly identifies the soothsayer as a charlatan. Upon Prolix's departure, the ...more
Little Red Hat
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this as a prize in a Bookcrossing graphic novel sweepstake recently, and with the passing of Albert Uderzo yesterday, I decided to read it today in his memory and honour.

Asterix's village, the last Gaul settlement holding out against Roman invasion, is visited by the mysterious Prolix, an alleged soothsayer. He manipulates the Gauls into bringing him food by promising them wonderful futures, and they believe him utterly - with the exception of our sceptical hero. When Prolix is later
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a dark and stormy night in the village. Everyone is in the chief's house when someone knocks at the door. It's a guy claiming to be a soothsayer (a fortune-teller). Although he's a total fake, he manages to convince the villagers that he's real and they bring him lots of food and money.

He ends up in the Roman camp and agrees to get the Gauls out of the village which he manages to do by pretending the village is cursed. The Romans briefly occupy the village, but Getafix, Asterix and Obelix
Jerome
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet-talking soothsayer arrives at the village and soon fools everyone into believing his garbage, except the skeptical Asterix (the druid is out of town). The soothsayer soon manipulates the entire village into doing his bidding, until the Romans receive orders to arrest all soothsayers in the area (requiring a duplicitous game on the soothsayer’s part to survive).

Humorous, with the obvious themes being gullibility and superstition.
Richie Brown
I remember reading this as an eight year old and not really understanding what was going on with Prolix the Soothsayer. I think I still believed he was magical even by the end which, of course, is the point. We should see him as a fraud from the word go. So, while this wasn't a favourite first time round, in the same way something like Asterix at the Olympic Games was, it's a great read some years after. ...more
Karhum Ghassan
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book tells us not to believe a soothsayer.According to gods wills we have to use our brains before we believe or do/say something.if we do thing without thinking we lose not others.At the end we find out he is not a soothsayer he is a liar, that's why we need to think clearly before we believe what people say, especially if that come's from a big mouthed person. ...more
Murshidul Hasan
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The future is told by the fortuneteller, however he is in for a surprise when Asterix is determined to prove him fake. The soothsayer falls into the hands of the Romans, whereas the whole Gaulish village is deceived as well. The confusion in the village and the utter confusion in the Roman camp as well!
Molly
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very clever satire on credulity with writer Goscinny at his absolute best. But Uderzo s close behind with some sumptuous drawings featuring a particularly good storm sequence at the start. A really enthralling home based story with lots of thoughtful warnings about sharp people exploiting popular superstition and our own vain ambitions.
Shruthi Natarajan
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first Asterix comic... and it was sooooo cute and funny!!! Of course, I need to read more of them to get to the funniest of them all. Asterix and the Soothsayer was a very good way of introducing all the characters to me, and I laughed quite a bit at a few points. I just realised I haven't told goodreads that I have finished all the Tintin books- So I have to that ! :) ...more
Bruce
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, humor
Asterix the Soothsayer – Asterix sets out to expose a peripatetic fraud playing on the credulity of his friends ...more
Linda
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
S
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
How soothsayers/Godmen are made - a problem my own country knows only too well.

It made me recall a quote - "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

One of the most relatable and funniest Asterix books I've read.
Sophie Crane
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Another gripping tale from the bronze age. The authors are astute observers of human motivation and mannerisms. This translates into hilarious drawings and an engaging story from Goscinny, with his unrivalled ability to bring ancient history to life.
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How intresting that a soothsayer may bring about the end of our favourite village. In the end as always, it all becomes just as we remember, a big feast at the end.
Supriya J
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolute favourite. Funny as heck!
itchy
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: portable
impedimenta hits unhygenix after taking getafix' potion! this one takes the cake ...more
Ashok Krishna
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yet another blissful gem from this series. Loved it!
Francis Pellow
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
one of the classic Asterix stories. Notable that the magic potion plays only the most minor part in the action and all the drama results from the great characters.
Larisa
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny
Tristan
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bande-dessinee
I have a 1976 paperback edition from Hodder & Stoughton.

This story is a little bit of a rerun from the Roman Agent episode as a disruptive liar almost brings the indomitable Gauls to their knees through exploiting their gullibility, this time being through soothsaying rather than gossip.

Nevertheless, it’s a clever and witty episode, notable for the level of involvement of the village’s womenfolk. It’s not one I appreciated much as a child, mainly because I didn’t quite grasp the grown up desire
Anna
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
During a bad storm, a soothsayer arrives in our Gaulish village. Most of the villagers fall under his spell when he starts predicting favourable things about them. Only Asterix is the sceptic.

Makes surprisingly deep statements about human nature; apart from that, standard Asterix fare.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
  • Asterix and the Magic Carpet (Asterix #28)
  • Asterix and the Secret Weapon (Asterix #29)
  • Asterix and Obelix All at Sea (Asterix, #30)
  • Asterix and the Actress (Astérix, #31)
  • Asterix and the Falling Sky (Astérix, #33)
  • Asterix and the Picts (Asterix, #35)
  • Der Papyrus des Cäsar (Asterix, #36)
  • Asterix & Obelix's Birthday: The Golden Book (Asterix, #34)
  • Astérix et la Transitalique (Astérix, #37)
  • La Fille de Vercingétorix (Astérix, #38)
  • The Calculus Affair (Tintin, #18)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar's Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Red Sea Sharks (Tintin, #19)
  • Tintin and the Lake of Sharks (The Adventures of Tintin)
René Goscinny (1926 - 1977) was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Asterix , which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age). ...more

Astérix (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)