Start by marking “Asterix at the Olympic Games (Asterix, #12)” as Want to Read:
Asterix at the Olympic Games (Asterix, #12)

Asterix at the Olympic Games

(Astérix #12)

The athletes of the ancient world assemble in Athens for the Olympic Games. Asterix and the Gauls enter too, but they're due for a setback. As an artificial stimulant, magic potion is banned. Can our friends win at the Games without it? And what's the special ingredient of the other potion, the one in the cauldron in the shed with the door that doesn't close properly?
Published July 22nd 2004 by Asterix (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix at the Olympic Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix at the Olympic Games

Start your review of Asterix at the Olympic Games (Asterix, #12)
Sidharth Vardhan
Is it me or does anyone else wonder what the magic potion means for sexual lives of Ghauls?
L.H. Johnson
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh I love Asterix. It's been a constant in my life and along with Twinkle and Bunty was one of the first comics I read. In a fit of topicality, I picked up Asterix At The Olympic Games. And, very simply, it's great. This would be a superb introduction to the Olympics for somebody just starting to explore comics and language (and it could be a very nice parent / child joint-read).

The Asterix books are full of puns and wordplay. They're stamped into nearly every frame and the vitality of these is
Rollie Reid
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I still don't understand the joke about "un manque de pot" but this is still terribly funny.
David Sarkies
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally the magic potion is of no use
27 August 2013

Well, this one picked up somewhat with a few more laugh out loud moments, as well as the typical on running joke (such as Obelix trying to get his share of the magic potion – he tries so much to get a taste and no matter what he does he always gets knocked back). One of the best jokes was when Obelix says to Fulliautomatix that Dogmatix is so much better because he can scratch his ear with his hind leg, and a few windows later we hear a cry 'so
Joseph R.
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things are quiet in the Gaulish village that is home to Asterix. The nearby Roman encampment Aquarium is full of excitement. Their finest athlete, Gluteus Maximus, has been selected to represent Rome in the Olympic Games in Greece. He trains in the forest where his confidence is shattered by Asterix and Obelix, whose magic-potion enhanced powers make them faster and stronger. Once the village chief finds out about the games, he wants his tribe to go too. They'll easily be victorious thanks to ...more
Deborah
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
Welcome to 50 B.C., where one small village of Gauls is holding out against the Roman legionnaires who surround them. Asterix, the cunning little warrior, and his sidekick, Obelix, the mighty boar loving Menhir deliverer, with his dog, Dogmatix, are back. Accompanied by Getafix (the Druid who brews the magic potion), Cacofonix (the bard who grates on everyone's ears), Vitalstatistix (the tribal chief), and other villagers, they travel to the Olympics in Athens. I loved the series as a child and ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A Roman, Gluteus Maximus, is training for the Olympic Games and thinks he's going to win until he encounters Asterix and Obelix and then he gets depressed. The tribe decides that they will compete in the games, and Asterix and Obelix will represent them.

They get to Greece and encounter Diabetes, their guide, and they visit Athens and then move on to Olympia for training.

However, they cannot compete in the games since they would be using magic potion (their version of steroids), and since Obelix
Sruthi
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Asterix book and I must say, I probably will not buy another one. It was very OK. Wasn't as funny as people make it out to be and though it is just 50 pages, it is definitely a slow read.

The story line has no depth. The story is too short. The drawings are not up to par. And I hate the fact that a lot of supporting characters look alike.

I guess you either are a tintin fan or an Asterix fan. I certainly am the former!
Denim Datta
Nice funny book. This is the 12th book of Asterix.

Asterix and co participate in the Olympics games in Athens.
Oliver
The Gallic duo are off to Greece to compete in the Games and put the Romans to shame. One of the funniest of the Asterix books.
Francis Pellow
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed that all the village went on the adventure to the Olympics.
Ojo
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
These names will never cease to make me laugh. Veriambitious!
Luis Tormento
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gluteus Maximus, an athletic Roman legionary, is chosen as one of Rome's representatives for the upcoming Olympic Games in Greece. Gaius Veriambitius, his centurion, hopes to share in the glory of Olympic victory. While training in the forest, Gluteus Maximus encounters Asterix and Obelix, who unintentionally outdo him at running, the javelin and boxing, thanks to the power of the magic potion. Demoralised, he consigns himself to sweeping the Roman camp instead of training. When Veriambitius ...more
Suhel Banerjee
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marking individual Asterix books is a new low, but greater men have done worse things for reading challenges.

Re-reading the series, first time as an adult. Not surprisingly finding many gems, such as naming of characters, puns etc that may have been missed as a kid. This episode in particular has some allusions to modern day doping in sports, but of course in the days of Julius Caesar. The book written in the 1970s still showed stark racist overtones, which when looked through the lens of 2019
Lies
Oct 30, 2019 added it
... aaand i have almost finished my goodreads reading challenge xD
some will think comics don't count as books... i kind of agree, but hey it's reading all the same

besides, how else was i ever gonna get my challenge done? ;)
Amrita
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is quite an accomplishment for me because it's the first french book I've read! I understood most of it, which I'm very proud of, and I got the overall gist of the book. Asterix and Obelix are classics and I obviously enjoyed reading this book! :)
Fabiano Cerqueira
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, this graphic novel is a little below the expectations. The story is funny, but it doesn't sustain the same level of humor than the previous stories. Besides that, its development and conclusion are simplistic.
Jc
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Can Asterix and his magic potion win all the Olympic medals?
Tamara Zann
I get more jokes than I used to. Simple reading for a tired evening.
Tristan
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bande-dessinee
A much treasured childhood classic.
Erik
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-humor
There's apparently an audience for these predictable tales and non stop puns, but I'm not part of it.
Anna
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this one, the Gauls decide to take part in the Olympic games.

Fun, not too punny, even a twist at the end. One of the best Asterix books.
Bart
Actual rating: 3.25
Sara
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's fun. It's Asterix and Obelix. In this one you also have so MANY absurd Italian Olympic types, all with overdeveloped upper bodies and skinny (but muscular) legs. It's such fun to see Obelix throw them around...
I must say I think the satire of Italians in these books is even funnier than the drawings of the Gauls.
I do wonder if the portrayals of Africans (who speak a French which omits the "r" sounds) are politically correct these days... or if French readers just overlook that...
Ronan Binny
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Asterix and the Olympic Games is a great and interesting comic book that should be read by people who don't read comics but adored to comic lovers.This type of genre is an action/adventure with that slightest touch of humour. This story starts in a time where the Romans have taken over most of a country called Gaul,but still standing is one Gaulish Village against them and determined to keep there village alive. They find out that the Romans are going to the Olympic Games,the only other people ...more
Jamie
Dec 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ever since I moved to Quebec in the early 90's everyone I meet seems to be obsessed with this old French comic book, Asterix. I never could understand why after watching a few cartoons, I found it very boring actually. I just read my first and last Asterix. It took me quite the effort to continue reading after just 4 pages, but at least I can now say that I have read an Asterix comic book, and I do indeed hate it.
Jerome
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Romans are training an Olympic athlete in one of the camps surrounding the Gauls’ village, but their superhuman antics make him look like a fool. The complaints of the Romans give the Gauls the idea to go the Olympics as a team of their own. When the Romans object, the Gauls claim to be Roman citizens. When in Greece, the Gauls are soon forbidden from using their potion, while the Romans fall for the Gauls’ pathetic trick and find themselves out of luck.
Joyce
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found the world play in this title was particularly funny ("The athletes, both Greek and Roman get into position for the first race: 20 laps up and down the stadium. They are all, at the present, tense..." heeheehee) but I also think this Asterix story is one that demonstrates Asterix at his best, as a clever little warrior who is also kind.
Sophie Wender
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Uderzo's character design is never than better than in this. Gaius Veriambitius and Gluteus Maximus are a perfect double act, the doping satire is still great, and everybody comes out of it well, even the nominal villains. You could have written this out verbatim as a screenplay and had a perfectly structured Asterix film, but instead they went and made Twelve Tasks, which is pale by comparison.
Linda
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine (done) 3 12 Dec 18, 2017 05:37AM

• Asterix and the Magic Carpet (Asterix #28)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Asterix and the Secret Weapon (Asterix #29)
  • Asterix and Obelix All at Sea (Asterix #30)
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
  • Asterix and the Actress (Astérix, #31)
  • Asterix and the Falling Sky (Astérix, #33)
  • Der Papyrus des Cäsar (Asterix, #36)
  • Asterix and the Picts (Asterix, #35)
  • Asterix & Obelix's Birthday: The Golden Book (Astérix, #34)
  • Astérix et la Transitalique (Astérix, #37)
  • La Fille de Vercingétorix (Astérix, #38)
  • Destination Moon (Tintin, #16)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • Tintin in Tibet (Tintin, #20)
  • Asterix Conquers America
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix

Astérix (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)