Start by marking “A Brace of Bloodhounds” as Want to Read:
A Brace of Bloodhounds

A Brace of Bloodhounds (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #3)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  420 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Hard-boiled Georgia peach Jo Beth Siddon has a nose for trouble that rivals even the olfactory prowess of her beloved bloodhounds. This latest caper has her trying to dig up the dirt on what may be an insidious crime ring's marijuana field. The problem is, one of her friends has unwittingly become involved in their shady dealings, and it's up to Jo Beth to help her out of ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Brace of Bloodhounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brace of Bloodhounds

Janice
Jobeth Sidden is the owner-operator of a search and rescue business, with numerous bloodhounds, kennels for breeding and raising new pups, a whole slew of rescue teams, and lots of other employees/friends thrown in. Jobeth's excursions often take her into the depths of the Okefenokee Swamp, near her home and business in southern Georgia. The author gives many details of the wildlife, vegetation, and terrain of the swamp during Jobeth's frequent search missions. I also really enjoy the interactio ...more
John Carter
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This is my second Bloodhound book, and it’s a reasonable sequel to The House on Bloodhound Lane. Still decent writing and interesting characters; but again I felt the plotting could be tightened a bit. After a bit of analysis, I realized that what I meant by that feeling was that it was a little too much like real life. There isn’t one case here: there are at least three—a kidnapping, a bank robbery, and a corrupt judge, and they overlap some. Plus Jo Beth’s psycho ex shows up to beat a friend o ...more
Janell
May 30, 2012 marked it as gave-up-on
I really tried to get into this one; but it seems the story line has petered out for me. While I read the first few hundred pages, it was a struggle; I literally had to force myself to read. So, I give up; I say uncle. I can't relate to the main character: she's a major feminist, and while I consider myself to be on the liberal end of things and rather self-assure and femininally aware, I don't get my panties in a twist whenever anyone dares offer to help me carry something in. This made JoBeth ...more
Maddy
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
PROTAGONIST: Jo Beth Sidden, bloodhound owner/tracker
SETTING: Georgia
SERIES: #3 of 6
RATING: 3.25
WHY: It's been several years since I read the earlier 2 books in the series, and I doubt that I will continue further. As always, the information on bloodhounds is fascinating. But the appeal of the protagonist steadily diminished as I read the book. She's bitchy and bossy and I didn't enjoy spending time with her as the focus. There are a lot of sub-plots woven into the book. One involves an abducted
Deborah D.
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jo Beth Sidden is an interesting character with all kinds of flaws that she often is not aware of them!
She has an affinity with the bloodhounds she breeds & trains for various tasks. She has let them become more important to her than human relationships...who can't relate to that sometimes?

She ran up against one of the local power-brokers in her community in this book, and she won for the underdog again. In the mean-time she helped rescue the child of a friend and one of her friends became
Jim Barber
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was on the verge of calling it quits with this series but now plan to read the fourth book. The main plot seemed a bit secondary and the ending got both convoluted and a bit unreal. But the characters are fun and the preview for book four whet my appetite for more. Four stars is generous but three didn't seem to give enough credit!
Melissa
Book #29 read in 2005

I really enjoy this series very much. However, this book was not as good as the first two, in my opinion. There were so many storylines going on at one time, and I felt more time could have been devoted to the immigrant, meth lab story. I am still looking forward to the next in the series.
Becky
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of details about running a kennel of working bloodhounds, which makes a good story in itself ... There are plenty of other subplots, including a couple of search jobs preceding the search at the center of the main plot. The relationships among the characters and the mores of southern life are other interesting features of the book.
Liz
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Liz by: Cat
Another fun read in the series. I'm wondering why she keeps reloading six bullets every time she goes out. She so rarely shoots anything and never mentions unloading them... This one includes investigating the judge, a meth lab, an illegitimate birthright, and Jonathan.
Doug Dams
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is another good story in this series. JoBeth is asked to investigate a murder by the victim's daughter. She uses her amateur sleuthing skills, her bloodhounds and her friends to help solve the mystery. The book is a good read and maintains a lively pace.
Meagan Brantley
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Bobby Lee is a perfect example of a bloodhound. The way the author describes him and the other bloodhounds is just flawless. I can relate so much with my 11 month old bloodhound, Clara. Very fun!
Jeffrey Hammerhead
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How can you not like a story that features bloodhounds.
Cynthia
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing

They're all really good...
Joyce
Aug 23, 2008 rated it liked it

Yawn. Lost all interest half way thru. Not my thing. Goodness knows I tried.
Lakshmi
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sounded like a prose text! I was in search of a genre like that what Mary Higgins Clark writes. But this was a disappointment. Couldn't bring myself to reach the 4th chapter even!
Linda
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Never finished it. My husband like it though.
Linda
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I'm enjoying the simplicity of this older series: chronological time line, consistent characters, little violence, and story lines that conclude.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Jo Beth Siddon and her bloodhounds are a great read. Strong family ties, the awesome skills of the dogs, what more could you want, except more and more of the same kind of thing.
Darnice
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Was going ok but find it hard to believe someone who smokes so much can run thru miles of swamp. Also the ending was a little anticlimactic.
Alissa
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoyed the protagonist in this series, and even though I'm not a big dog lover, I found the bloodhound training to be fascinating.
Kimberly
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as I remembered from the first read.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
lots of action, of course
Maureen Carden
Sep 25, 2012
Patricia Mccammon
Mar 18, 2013
  • Bark M For Murder
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Death of an Angel (Sister Mary Helen, #7)
An author who penned the popular "Bloodhound" series of mystery books and published her first book at age 65.

Her first book, Death in Bloodhound Red, released in April of 1995, was nominated for three literary awards: the Agatha, the Anthony, and the Macavity for the "Best First Mystery Novel in 1995."

Series:
* Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery
More about Virginia Lanier...

Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery (7 books)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane